[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Ok not exactly to scale it but hopefully gets the idea across

http://i.imgur.com/vujtZrK.png

basically move the node down a bit to line up with the inner diameter of a 0.9375m part because the vostok is sitting inside the ring not on top so they can't possibly be flush unless the decoupler was razor sharp or there was a large depressed ring around the vostoks heat shield neither would be considered desirable. this coupled with making the the decouple a smidge taller would eliminate or at least minimize the bit of the heat shield that pokes out the bottom to the point that it would visually fit in the depression that caps the top of most stack mountable parts. Then just bevel the edges of the decoupler for looks and you are golden as any other situations involving decouplers can be solved with offset and any situation that doesn't have a decoupler wouldn't matter because baring crashes and explosions you'll never see the parts separate to expose your evil clipping wizardry.

as for not killing everyone's existing crafts with the revamp why not simply retire the almach name? put this pod in the vostok folder but name it something else that way the old almach files are not replaced when people update. Seems better than twisting the other half of the naming scheme to avoid double names

Kinda similar to this (Thanks for the diagram!) But a little different.

16ab89db55.jpg

adf3646640.jpg

Drop the Almach name is possible - any suggestions? (star names).

I am having a bug where the Farshot engine ignites on launch pad without staging, please help. I have KAS, KIS and Mechjeb also installed.

Hello! Welcome to the forums.

These are the only mods you are using?

Should not be any major problems there, try a clean installation - delete the Tantares folder and install again.

Beale, if you need to break things to make room for even more awesome stuff, go ahead and break it. I live to experiment and tinker. You bust it up, I'll rebuild it with the better stuff you've provided.

It isn't always good to break things - I do try to avoid it, but sometimes it just isn't possible :)

I suppose something the size of FL-T100 can work good, and Block E shape can be achieved with decoupler.

http://i.gyazo.com/d4a14905718123f6773c64c646582ad9.png

http://i.gyazo.com/6b92764f206c339d9fa814b6358ce053.png

Thanks for the splitting diagram! This will be helpfully.

When will this be updated to the newest version of RO?

I'm not sure if it will be, sorry!

Kinda similar to this (Thanks for the diagram!) But a little different.

http://puu.sh/itBY5/16ab89db55.jpg

http://puu.sh/itC8W/adf3646640.jpg

yes very similar but I'd repeat what I said earlier that the decoupler instead of sloping it so that the edge is flush with the pod the decoupler should be a straight with a visible lip when fitted to the vostok (perhaps with the top edge beveled a little) as seen in the provided diagram and in your own picture of the real thing in order for it to be used as a standard 0.9m decoupler or separator instead of making it a niche part that looks shoehorned in when used elsewhere. Also like a standard decoupler it should probably be visually hollow.

I'd also repeat my much older feedback about the pod itself and having all the doors and windows in the northern hemisphere and shielded from the reentry heating but it appears I'm to late as you already UV mapped it.

Drop the Almach name is possible - any suggestions? (star names).

hmm despite an interest in rocketry and spaceflight astronomy isn't a strong point for me... Centari?(everyone knows that one), Sol?(closest star for the first pod?), Sirius?(it has something to do with dogs and the soviets launched dogs in to space I guess?)

It isn't always good to break things - I do try to avoid it, but sometimes it just isn't possible :)

I dunno the inevitability of having things broken and having to rebuild them sounds pretty lego like :wink:

I recall a while back there was some talk of wheels and such; It got lost in the PS4 blowout, at least I think it did, but Harvester posted a blog on the Unity5 update, with a big section on wheels. Thought it might be of some interest to Beale/And company. It sounds like things will get much ...easier/interesting soon.

Anyway, i'll leave it here :)http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/345-KSP-and-Unity-5

yes very similar but I'd repeat what I said earlier that the decoupler instead of sloping it so that the edge is flush with the pod the decoupler should be a straight with a visible lip when fitted to the vostok (perhaps with the top edge beveled a little) as seen in the provided diagram and in your own picture of the real thing in order for it to be used as a standard 0.9m decoupler or separator instead of making it a niche part that looks shoehorned in when used elsewhere. Also like a standard decoupler it should probably be visually hollow.

I'd also repeat my much older feedback about the pod itself and having all the doors and windows in the northern hemisphere and shielded from the reentry heating but it appears I'm to late as you already UV mapped it.

hmm despite an interest in rocketry and spaceflight astronomy isn't a strong point for me... Centari?(everyone knows that one), Sol?(closest star for the first pod?), Sirius?(it has something to do with dogs and the soviets launched dogs in to space I guess?)

:

I'll see how it looks with non-tapered decoupler :)

On doors and windows, yeah they should be higher in the ideal world, unfortunately I was having problems producing some windows that looked anywhere near decent with the boolean operations (they're indented after all).

On names, I like Centari!

Now, the colour?

3adc69a22d.jpg

851e627122.jpg

7e5be15d66.jpg

I recall a while back there was some talk of wheels and such; It got lost in the PS4 blowout, at least I think it did, but Harvester posted a blog on the Unity5 update, with a big section on wheels. Thought it might be of some interest to Beale/And company. It sounds like things will get much ...easier/interesting soon.

Anyway, i'll leave it here :)http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/345-KSP-and-Unity-5

Yep, very interesting for prospects of Lunokhod / satellite van! I will keep a keen interest :)

I'll see how it looks with non-tapered decoupler :)

On doors and windows, yeah they should be higher in the ideal world, unfortunately I was having problems producing some windows that looked anywhere near decent with the boolean operations (they're indented after all).

On names, I like Centari!

Now, the colour?

http://puu.sh/itHN2/3adc69a22d.jpg

http://puu.sh/itHZN/851e627122.jpg

http://puu.sh/itI28/7e5be15d66.jpg

I like the second one. The green gives it that early russian tech look.

Orange is pretty classic to the old almach look and matches the launch vehicle unless you plan on recoloring the r7 so its a good choice.

Green is also a good choice in that its what the most of the depictions of vostok look like

The blue I'm not a fan of.

and please tell me you are putting more than batteries inside that service module this is what I'm talking about not wanting vostok to require those radial tanks because without them all the parts are versatile and construction is simple.

[0.625m parachute]->[0.625-0.9375m command pod]->[0.9375m decoupler or separator]->[0.9375m-1.25m fuel filled size adapter]->[vacuum engine]

is better than

[0.625m parachute]->[0.625-0.9375m command pod]->[0.9375m decoupler or separator]->[spammed radial monoprop tanks to reach the mun]->[0.9375m-1.25m size adapting battery that you ditch to save weight for munshot cause tantares pods have plenty of battery cause spamming radial batteries is bad most of the time]->[vacuum engine]

not to mention that now that there are no decouplers sitting between the engine and its fuel source you could make it a LFO engine instead (the original decent stage for vostok was hypergolic in other words a bi-fuel engine not mono)

Thanks for the colour feedback, it seems Green is a good choice to go with.

Orange is pretty classic to the old almach look and matches the launch vehicle unless you plan on recoloring the r7 so its a good choice.

Green is also a good choice in that its what the most of the depictions of vostok look like

The blue I'm not a fan of.

and please tell me you are putting more than batteries inside that service module this is what I'm talking about not wanting vostok to require those radial tanks because without them all the parts are versatile and construction is simple.

[0.625m parachute]->[0.625-0.9375m command pod]->[0.9375m decoupler or separator]->[0.9375m-1.25m fuel filled size adapter]->[vacuum engine]

is better than

[0.625m parachute]->[0.625-0.9375m command pod]->[0.9375m decoupler or separator]->[spammed radial monoprop tanks to reach the mun]->[0.9375m-1.25m size adapting battery that you ditch to save weight for munshot cause tantares pods have plenty of battery cause spamming radial batteries is bad most of the time]->[vacuum engine]

not to mention that now that there are no decouplers sitting between the engine and its fuel source you could make it a LFO engine instead (the original decent stage for vostok was hypergolic in other words a bi-fuel engine not mono)

Service module is batteries as well as a SAS and reaction wheel.

The decoupler, there is 2 versions - the plain which is already shown - and the version pre-built with the Mono tanks for lower part count.

However - that idea you have of LFO small radial tanks... hmmm :)

@Beale, will you be doing a remodel of the Soyuz rocket like you talked about before?

Yep, sure.

But it will not be for a while :)

Drop the Almach name is possible - any suggestions? (star names)

Rigel, Sirius, Betelgeuse, Aquarius, Arcturus, Deneb, Regulus, Draco, Virgo, or Wolf 359, if you're a Star Trek fan.

Heh, I've got too much time on my hands. Nothing to do while driving across Arkansas but think of star names and count the miles to the end of my trip.

I actually like all of them. But as it was mention earlier, green one is pretty much neutral and will go nicely with any parts. Still must say that blue one looks nice with your Gemini and passinglurker's Mercury, though. Edited by nothingSpecial

Service module is batteries as well as a SAS and reaction wheel.

The decoupler, there is 2 versions - the plain which is already shown - and the version pre-built with the Mono tanks for lower part count.

However - that idea you have of LFO small radial tanks... hmmm :)

I dunno with a small craft and the way tantares pods are typically put together extra batteries and reaction wheels seem redundant and we can't take away vostoks batteries and reaction wheels to fix that because then it would hurt the pods usability in non-recreation situations (even now the vostoks reactions wheels need a buff because a probe core level of torque is simply to low to control any rocket that isn't covered in fins and gimbals like the R7)

also we shouldn't combine decouplers and fuel tanks if we can help it because it screws with dv calculation mods like engineer and mechjeb and radial lfo tanks are useless without external plugin dependency unless you force the engines flow mode in the config and even then they are only useful with that one engine making it a niche kit part.

what about what I've been proposing in the mock up where the size adapter/fuel tank simply has a ring of bulbous protrusions near the top? I'll admit it's not a perfect recreation, but doesn't it at least nod in the right direction? also if we were going for perfection wouldn't we find a way to make the window placement work?(how bad is the clipping if you just used separate meshes for the windows? since they are shielded in the northern hemisphere they can get away with protruding a little right? then again if we get the windows right then we'd have to get the service module right and its proving difficult to strike a balance between stock-a-like and realistic... I made a loop!:confused:)

No matter how long it would take, with all of the things you seem to have learned from modeling, a new R-7 would look outstanding!

I hope it would take a year or so. Because Beale must stop doing these endless revamps and churn out something new. PPTK+Angara would be nice.

I hope it would take a year or so. Because Beale must stop doing these endless revamps and churn out something new. PPTK+Angara would be nice.

didn't he just recently recreate the british space program? I'm pretty sure that wasn't a revamp but hey it happens so often how can one tell right? :P /jk

I'd like to say that these revamps were beautiful and somewhat needed. Previously, to be honest, Tantares lacked style (except from "Beale gray everywhere"), no offense, Beale. Also all these size refurbishings are undoubtedly useful even if frustrating to update.