[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

I'd forgotten about that (If you don't know, the ATV fuel tank is toroidal to support a tunnel through it.) Would be a fairly simply addition to the model!

Many thanks :)

It's enjoyable, but yeah maybe isn't going to work out. I'll just stick to something stock-like I think!

Kvant

So the real Kvant had Gyroscopes? I guess this module should provide a fair bit of torque, among other things.

1.875m top node

1.25m bottom node

Texture needs more detail on the octagon part.

http://puu.sh/bs3At/d32b5ee7fb.jpg

http://puu.sh/bs3Bn/ea7add3357.jpg

http://puu.sh/bs3C0/70a6015d57.jpg

http://puu.sh/bs3CJ/dc1f2b0681.jpg

Wow-wow-wow!!! Looks so awesome!

Looks nice, but for some reason I always think of Kvant 2 and didn't expect you to make the first one. :D

I think the OM should have some purpose, you're right.

You could also try to move some of the TACLS from the DM to the OM.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

*nerdgasmn*

dude ... Beale ... so awesome :cool:

that kvant tho..
Wow-wow-wow!!! Looks so awesome!
After the pictures of Kvant I can say that MIR will be amazing!!

Good work with the Cygnus and the ATV, i still haven't tested them, but they look great!

Many thanks! :)

Some scale comparative.

Maybe the textures still a little too "clean", or maybe the Alnair texture is too dirty.

Who knows.

ebecaf42e8.jpg

96c5d522e0.jpg

Looks nice, but for some reason I always think of Kvant 2 and didn't expect you to make the first one. :D

You could also try to move some of the TACLS from the DM to the OM.

If I remember right the TAC balance is already this way. :confused:

Maybe I could make the TAC balance where the OM is essential for anything more than a few orbits.

Edited by Beale

one thing Beale: Kvant 1 has no RCS. the soviets used a spacetug based on the TKS to deliver Kvant 1 to Mir :)

Actually, I don't think the whole idea of the mod was to make historical accurate simulating parts. But the idea is very interesting, a space tug is something very useful. BTW, wasn't it the Block D/DM as the tug?

Could you make a shroud that would allow the TKS aft module to be attached to it's top, for launch?

500px-Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png

That was the way Kvant was brought to MIR, with a TKS-based tug called FSM. It's a little known spacecraft, but I like it.

one thing Beale: Kvant 1 has no RCS. the soviets used a spacetug based on the TKS to deliver Kvant 1 to Mir :)
Actually, I don't think the whole idea of the mod was to make historical accurate simulating parts. But the idea is very interesting, a space tug is something very useful. BTW, wasn't it the Block D/DM as the tug?

This one was Hyper-edited into orbit, about 10 metres from the station :wink:

But a Space-Tug might be nice.

Dang, I'd say that's almost perfect, though I'd love to see you do a bit more surface detailing, like you've got on the TKS part you compared it against. Looks a bit bare by comparison.

I agree of this.

It's a little difficult for fine details, because the bottom area has quite a small space devoted to it on the UV map.

But Some slight "stuff" should be do-able.

03d67a5ed8.jpg

Could you make a shroud that would allow the TKS aft module to be attached to it's top, for launch?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png/500px-Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png

That was the way Kvant was brought to MIR, with a TKS-based tug called FSM. It's a little known spacecraft, but I like it.

Tricky, because of the part layout, if you want a docking port on top of the "Octagon" of the Kvant then the fairings would never remove themselves (Although, manual jettison?).

I'll see what can be done :)

On a side note: a lot of the current engines are lacking fairings... :sealed:

Edited by Beale

Tricky, because of the part layout, if you want a docking port on top of the "Octagon" of the Kvant then the fairings would never remove themselves (Although, manual jettison?).

Maybe they could be made like two separate half-cylinder parts (or one with symmetry) with a couple of attachment nodes on the Kvant module?

Maybe they could be made like two separate half-cylinder parts (or one with symmetry) with a couple of attachment nodes on the Kvant module?

Could do, they would be fairly specialized parts though.

Although they could be useful in general structural plates.

Thanks for your excellent work, dude, and I apologize for always being so damned picky.

No problem with being picky if it's good feedback :)

oh btw: want that Kvant ... now, ... no yesturday ... with solarpanels ... and snacks :D

You can have it 5 minutes ago, added a Kvant and Solar Panels Beta DL link to front page! :)

I've stuck up the Kvant early, because I think another proper release will be a fair time away yet.

Also updated craft files.

Edited by Beale

So what will this Kvant be capable of science-wise? As it says on wikipedia, it had a X-Ray telescope with a coded mask imaging spectrometer/ wide-angle camera, a gas scintillation proportional spectrometer, a High Energy X-ray Experiment, and a X-ray/gamma ray (20-1300 keV) detector, whilst also having other individual science things like a ultraviolet telescope, a magnetic spectrometer, a electrophoresis unit, and finally a surface istrument to investigate earth/kebin's ionosphere and magnetosphere. now I doubt you'll add all of this, I barely know what this stuff is, I'm just taking this from wikipedia, but this seems to be what you should be going for. What experiments are you planning for it right now?

Launch Vehicles.

Considering doing them SXT stlye, that is, referencing stock textures.

This keeps the RAM footprint of each part <100KB

Of course, you lose a little detail, such as ambient occlusion.

Made this in about 5 minutes as an example.

2ee96a625d.jpg

15e44160d0.jpg

17a7365211.jpg

Edited by Beale

@Beale,

I recall you mentioning having a tough time getting the TAC Life support numbers right (at least for 0.10). If I may make a suggestion.

You may know this but I'm not sure. TAC LS automatically adds the appropriate amount of life support to manned modules. So parts like TST Crew Module will get life support added just fine.

It becomes a bit dicey with unmanned cargo modules like the Pollux, or parts that should have more lifesupport like the Vega and that is where you want to add the modules separately.

So onto my suggestion. Remove any of the basic command module parts from the TAC LS file and just work on adding LS to the "special" parts.

I'm including the file that I have been using to add TAC LS for your parts (modeled after what I think you were going for in your TAC LS). Hopefully this helps you.

//Tantares TAC LS - Days of supply listed for max crew

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //TST Orbital Module - 6 day supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 2.194
maxAmount = 2.194
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 1.45
maxAmount = 1.45
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 222.075
maxAmount = 222.075
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 191.825
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 0.2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1.847
}
}

@PART[Alnair_Orbital_*]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //ALN KS-01 Orbital Block - 18 day supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 6.582
maxAmount = 6.582
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 4.35
maxAmount = 4.35
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 666.224
maxAmount = 666.224
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 575.475
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 0.599
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5.54
}
}

@PART[Hamal_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] // HAMAL Orbital Module - 18 day supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 6.582
maxAmount = 6.582
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 4.35
maxAmount = 4.35
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 666.224
maxAmount = 666.224
}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_A]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //V-C1 Operations Block - 15 day supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 10.969
maxAmount = 10.969
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 7.25
maxAmount = 7.25
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 1110.373
maxAmount = 1110.373
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 959.124
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 0.998
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 9.233
}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_B]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //V-C2 Operations Block - 15 day supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 10.969
maxAmount = 10.969
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 7.25
maxAmount = 7.25
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 1110.373
maxAmount = 1110.373
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 959.124
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 0.998
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 9.233
}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_C]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //V-C3 Operations Block - 27 Day Supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 9.872
maxAmount = 9.872
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 6.525
maxAmount = 6.525
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 999.336
maxAmount = 999.336
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 863.212
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 0.898
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 8.31
}
}

@PART[Libra_Crew_A]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //L-MLCC Lander Can - 18 Day Supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 6.582
maxAmount = 6.582
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 4.35
maxAmount = 4.35
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 666.224
maxAmount = 666.224
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 575.475
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 0.599
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5.54
}
}

@PART[Pollux_Control_A]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //Pol Cargo and Control Block - 18 Day Supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 6.582
maxAmount = 6.582
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 4.35
maxAmount = 4.35
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 666.224
maxAmount = 666.224
}
}

@PART[Capella_Control_A]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] //CAPELLA Cargo and Control Block - 30 Day supply
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 10.969
maxAmount = 10.969
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 7.25
maxAmount = 7.25
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 1110.373
maxAmount = 1110.373
}
}

textures seem a bit streched.

That's the difficulties of this method. :(

Doing it a little more carefully yields better results.

The RAM payoff is tremendous (especially with stable 64-bit still seeming far away)

aab7746ae4.jpg

@Beale,

I recall you mentioning having a tough time getting the TAC Life support numbers right (at least for 0.10). If I may make a suggestion.

You may know this but I'm not sure. TAC LS automatically adds the appropriate amount of life support to manned modules. So parts like TST Crew Module will get life support added just fine.

It becomes a bit dicey with unmanned cargo modules like the Pollux, or parts that should have more lifesupport like the Vega and that is where you want to add the modules separately.

So onto my suggestion. Remove any of the basic command module parts from the TAC LS file and just work on adding LS to the "special" parts.

I'm including the file that I have been using to add TAC LS for your parts (modeled after what I think you were going for in your TAC LS). Hopefully this helps you.

-snip-

This seems a better solution! TAC has been confusing somewhat, I don't have a lot of experience of doing missions with it that are longer than a few days. I'll give this a quick run around and probably replace the existing TAC config :)

Launch Vehicles.

Considering doing them SXT stlye, that is, referencing stock textures.

This keeps the RAM footprint of each part <100KB

Of course, you lose a little detail, such as ambient occlusion.

Made this in about 5 minutes as an example.

http://puu.sh/bsnqF/2ee96a625d.jpg

http://puu.sh/bsns4/15e44160d0.jpg

http://puu.sh/bsnwL/17a7365211.jpg

Sorry if it seems rude, but IMHO that stripped texture is not quite suitable to the general Tantares style. Something close to HGR-style would be better. Or other textures, without strips but kinda barrel-like.

keep in mind that the R7 boosters have a gradient and aren't straight-up cones.

Yup!

Here is the full SXT-style "Korolev Cross". Tantares for scale! :)

3f0502444f.jpg

13031c5987.jpg

ae0050459a.jpg

203147263c.jpg

Sorry if it seems rude, but IMHO that stripped texture is not quite suitable to the general Tantares style. Something close to HGR-style would be better. Or other textures, without strips but kinda barrel-like.

That's fair.

If I'm doing it this way, I can pick and choose from pretty much any stock texture. So I can experiment with quite a few looks.

TBH, I'm not sure if these current tank textures will survive the Art Pass coming in KSP version 0.25, so I'm not sure what textures are "safe" to use

Edited by Beale

okay Beale ... now it's getting to my favorite rocket ... *insert insane laugher plz*

big question: are yu going for a more realstic stock version or something like the HGR Soyuz (i would call it comic/chibbi style)?

most important thing: the core and teh four boosters are using the same engine with four nozzle's only the number and position of the verniers are different. for teh second stage, the four nozzle engine is NOT the same as the corestage engine. but for more simplificity, you could use the same engine.

here are some pictures i used as reference, very good to get the right scale for each parts

soyuz.jpg

soyuz-u2-1.jpg

soyuz-u2-2.jpg

and tons more...

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Just popping in to say--keep being awesome! Love the stuff you're doing.

Very nice to hear! Thank you :)

okay Beale ... now it's getting to my favorite rocket ... *insert insane laugher plz*

big question: are yu going for a more realstic stock version or something like the HGR Soyuz (i would call it comic/chibbi style)?

most important thing: the core and teh four boosters are using the same engine with four nozzle's only the number and position of the verniers are different. for teh second stage, the four nozzle engine is NOT the same as the corestage engine. but for more simplificity, you could use the same engine.

here are some pictures i used as reference, very good to get the right scale for each parts

-snip-

and tons more...

Thank you for the documents, they can be helpful with this :)

• On scale, I'm going for the same proportions on the real one, based around a 1.25m scale for central tank + side tanks.
  • Fairings would probably be omitted, favouring procedural fairings (Though maybe I'll make a L.E.S.).
  • The engine would use a bespoke texture, unlike the tanks.
  • A "benchmark" would be its ability to deliver a Tantares to a 500km x 500km orbit. I think this is pretty capable without being over powered.

Example, compared with Salyut.

e624f6c5d8.jpg

This Launcher is still a while off and I'm really just experimenting at the moment.

To be honest, it might struggle to compete with your stock Soyuz, in terms of features :wink:

Edited by Beale