This is why Jeb is no longer permitted in the VAB

Red Iron Crown

Huh. Interesting. Take some readings of the ground control, maybe the radioactivity has made them act even sillier!

On a side note, that's a pretty interesting design. Is that for a station or other orbital-assembled craft?

On a side note, that's a pretty interesting design. Is that for a station or other orbital-assembled craft?

Interplanetary mothership. One thing I like about the 3.75m parts is that 1.25m parts cluster neatly under them. There are seven engines in that cluster, but any number from 1-7 can be clustered without clipping.

Next task: Melt down an NFP reactor in the VAB.

As for LV-N fairings, my solution is to have a central structural element in the cluster. So in a group similar to the one above, I'd put a fuel tank or something down the middle and six engines around it.

Nuts, the center LV-N overheats enough to explode in testing. I may have to go with cantab's suggestion and put something else in the center.

Can you lower the thrust on it, maybe? You might still get most of thrust without exploding.

Nuts, the center LV-N overheats enough to explode in testing. I may have to go with cantab's suggestion and put something else in the center.

Remember to test in space - temperatures stay lower there than on the launchpad.

Can you lower the thrust on it, maybe? You might still get most of thrust without exploding.

That's a good idea, I'll try it and see how far down it has to go to not explode. Though LV-Ns don't really have a lot of thrust to spare, it might not be worthwhile to lug one up that'll only be partially utilized.

Remember to test in space - temperatures stay lower there than on the launchpad.

I did my testing in LKO, but thanks for the reminder. :)

I'm curious if the exhaust in the VAB glitch is something in my install or a genuine bug. It's reproducible, it happens whenever I load the subassembly. If I save and reload it disappears, and if I alt-click the assembly the copy doesn't show the effect. Would someone mind trying it on their install to see if it happens for them?

Here's the subassembly: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61004449/KSP/Nuke%20Array%207x2.5x3.75.craft

The install I tested on has: MM, Toolbar, Chatterer, CLS, AGX, KER, PF, NRAP, MJ, NavballDockingAlignmentIndicator (that SO needs an abbreviation!), SCANSat, SM and KAC. So, er, nearly stock ^^.

Of those only Toolbar, AGX, CLS and MJ (via MM) are active in the VAB. The only one I'd think might have an effect is AGX but, since there are no action groups defined, I doubt if it has. Hard to see how any mod could get flight-mode activity like that into the VAB/SPH, have fun tracking it down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.