Realism War Game!

What mods to use?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What mods to use?

Hmm. So are we still using RSS and FAR? (I cant make planes in FAR to save my life, so I would be restricted to orbital combat, and RSS makes it a real PitA to get to orbit.)

LOL Making planes in FAR is easy.

Just look at a REAL plane and mimic it. Flying bricks in stock KSP just don't cut it anymore. And it wouldn't be "Realism War Game" if it didn't have some aspect of reality in it would it?

LOL Making planes in FAR is easy.

Just look at a REAL plane and mimic it. Flying bricks in stock KSP just don't cut it anymore. And it wouldn't be "Realism War Game" if it didn't have some aspect of reality in it would it?

Well, the stock way of building planes is kind of engraved in my mind, and I try, but nothing ever works too well. As for RSS, IIRC, that was only for the KSC movement, which can be done by just removing all of the planet related code in the CFG for RSS, without actually using the entire mod.

Well, the stock way of building planes is kind of engraved in my mind, and I try, but nothing ever works too well. As for RSS, IIRC, that was only for the KSC movement, which can be done by just removing all of the planet related code in the CFG for RSS, without actually using the entire mod.

If you need an aircraft or a few, I will tell you what mods I use and I can send you the craft files or just let you copy them.

Like this little attack plane.

A-5 Guinea Fowl

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Uses B9,Pwing,RF,AJE,D12Aerotech, Skillful, DRE, HullCam, Hyomoto (for the antenna on the top of the craft) and MJ for the information display.

Several of those things can be taken off the craft and not affect the performance one bit. But you can also see how the CoL is setup behind the CoM, and that is the key to FAR.

If you need an aircraft or a few, I will tell you what mods I use and I can send you the craft files or just let you copy them.

Like this little attack plane.

A-5 Guinea Fowl

http://imgur.com/a/Ywl0o

Uses B9,Pwing,RF,AJE,D12Aerotech, Skillful, DRE, HullCam, Hyomoto (for the antenna on the top of the craft) and MJ for the information display.

Several of those things can be taken off the craft and not affect the performance one bit. But you can also see how the CoL is setup behind the CoM, and that is the key to FAR.

Oh, yeah, I know to set up the COL like that, but everything but the simplest craft still "lawn-dart"s for me. Anyway, I don't mind that I would just work with Orbital Craft. TBH, I would prefer it, especially if it is turn based. Space gives you a lot more leeway if you know what your doing. (The first thing I will try will probably be a ~100T corvette or something, knowing me. Even in RSS, I can manage it.)

EDIT: If RSS is required, are we using Realism Overhaul too?

Edited by Deathsoul097

Oh, yeah, I know to set up the COL like that, but everything but the simplest craft still "lawn-dart"s for me. Anyway, I don't mind that I would just work with Orbital Craft. TBH, I would prefer it, especially if it is turn based. Space gives you a lot more leeway if you know what your doing. (The first thing I will try will probably be a ~100T corvette or something, knowing me. Even in RSS, I can manage it.)

EDIT: If RSS is required, are we using Realism Overhaul too?

If you dont want your plane to lawn dart or turn up just put the CoL over the CoM, and make the wings up for stability. Hope it helps

Why is mecheb required if we want to play? I want to stay away from mechjeb especially.

dont worry man. even when mechjeb is installed, it requires 1 part to activate it's function to the craft.

which means, you could just not use it and not have mechjeb running.

i have never touch mechjeb before either. i'm blind about it. most likely i would be not using it

I hated MJ for a long time, then I decided to give it a try. I found it is great for the information if nothing else.

If you are using RO you kind of have to use MJ for the information because KER gets most of the altered engine cfgs wrong.

Does mechjeb have a good cost calculator? If so, we could just scale up the budget to be in line with that. And as always, if you don't like it you don't have to use it. It's really just to your advantage to use it. Plus, the military itself uses many things like that for information/control.

I think Far and RSS will stay. But like I said, we will use the scaled down configs so the real world will be Kerbin sized (which actually means the atmosphere ends at ~59km rather than 69.

Mechjeb has a cost calculator: it takes the number of credits and multiplies by $1000 to get the cost (e.g. 1000 credits = 1 million dollars). MCE changes the credit values for all of the parts, so Mechjeb with MCE outputs a different value than Mechjeb without MCE.

Even if you don't put it on your ship, using Mechjeb temporarily in the VAB is a good way to get data on the expected performance of the craft.

Yeah you can really hone in your craft to do exactly what you want just thanks to that info. So I think I'll take the budget of parts and scale it up by 1000, and then take out MCE.

By the way guys, I think I'm going to update the OP to make this turn-based again. So if there are any serious objections with that, speak up for now or forever hold your science (wait... silence). Currently, we have 7 people per team, which means that over the course of one week, each person can have an entire day to do whatever they want with the persistent. However, more than one person can have it at a time, so if you want it back all you have to do is ask. I'm going to stick with each team having one full week to do whatever they want with the persistent file, at which point they will turn it over to someone on the other team.

Each team should set up a common place where they can upload the persistent file to, as well as some sort of way to communicate what they did/are planning on doing so as not to run into any problems (especially if more than one person takes the persistent at once).

Important: I just flipped a coin with red as heads and blue as tails, got tails, which means blue team gets to have the savefirst and red team gets to pick home base first.

Edited by horndgmium

What does the blue team get to pick first? And why do we only get one week whereas the red team gets two weeks?

Also, I think that a week is an awfully long time, giving one side the chance to completely destroy the other side (since the defenses are relatively dumb). How about the turns alternating every day, instead of every week?

They don't get to pick anything first, they just get to play first. I figured that was an advantage (which is why I was going to give red twice as long since they go second), but it may be unnecessary since budget is going to be limiting for the first week for both teams. So I guess just blue team first then red team second.

I think if it's much less time than a week it'll be hard for some players to get a turn, especially if the teams still grow, and people are in very different time zones. Plus, this can just be a test run for now. If it doesn't work too well the turn length can be limited. I think each team would be very hard pressed to destroy a huge portion of the other's crafts/bases in one week either way, but we're going to have to test and see.

I think Kvick threw one together, I'm just waiting for him to PM me the link, but thank you. However, if you could host the game save file, that would be awesome.

Man I'm starting to get excited for this to start. Also, I just extensively updated the OP so hopefully all that info is good to go now (but who knows, I make a lot of dumb mistakes when writing stuff... I swear I went to college).

when is the server gonna go up?

dont think anytime too soon.

the guys making the modpack/gamedata folder themself still havent finished making the modpack. after slapping the mod together, the need to adjust lots of configs just so all the mods work as intended, at least for this war.

and then setting up the server. last troubleshooting, then can we play

*Slicks back hair and does best New York accent*

Hey, hey, a war looks like a nice place for a man to make a profit off his quality craft, count me in for this "Black Market" deal! (Assuming i can fix my KSP) You want fighters? We got 'em! You need a troop carrier? Comin' out a' our ears! We've got anything you'd ever need, for the right price, of course. [Disclaimer, Shoveycat is not responsible for any death, injuries, or malfunctions caused by his craft. NO REFUNDS]

*Slicks back hair and does best New York accent*

Hey, hey, a war looks like a nice place for a man to make a profit off his quality craft, count me in for this "Black Market" deal! (Assuming i can fix my KSP) You want fighters? We got 'em! You need a troop carrier? Comin' out a' our ears! We've got anything you'd ever need, for the right price, of course. [Disclaimer, Shoveycat is not responsible for any death, injuries, or malfunctions caused by his craft. NO REFUNDS]

what about a test drive?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.