Realism War Game!

What mods to use?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What mods to use?

Added.

@All: I'm kinda leaning towards turn based again... :/ what to do? It'd be slower but a lot easier for some people to participate (like me, who has an unexpectedly terrible internet connection)

Hmm. I am kind of torn. Having previously participated in the GNBC in the space lounge, I know that turn based is arduous and slow at times, and makes things really easy. (No resistance, no having to account for changes, no real skill other than rendezvous, point and fire, leave, and repeat.) That said, if we are having internet problems then... what can we do?

Questions: Can we use a single player world for testing designs before actually launching them? And does the 150 part rule only apply to actual spacecraft, not launchers where all the parts are deorbited and destroyed except for the payload which is 150 parts or less?

Thanks,

Eagle

P.S. Red Team, I will be creating a group message for us to do all communication on unless you guys are all on Steam.

1. You can do anything you want in any other save.

2. I'll add a clause for launchers. I think as long as the debris gets deorbited immediately (if live multiplayer, this could change if turn-based), then the part total can extend to like 200-250.

Well that'll take some deciding to get settled. But does anyone know if I can delete that last poll and make a new one to do real time or turn based?

Not sure about the poll, but is seems we could trim down a LOT of parts by using PDynamics, PFairings, and PParts. Think, all of the stock tanks, decouplers and wings: Gone. The NASAmission fuel tanks and decoupler: Gone. All of the B9 wings: Gone. The KW fairing system: Gone. All of the KW tanks: Gone. KW nosecones: Gone. (Keep the boosters and boosted nosecone though, and all engines.)

D12 Aerotech is a bit more, exclusive, however, as it's parts are cutomizeable, but not fully procedural, (As well as some nifty gadgets like Folding and Variable sweep wings, along with a bunch of parts to make helicopters and VTOLS.) though they do replace several stock cockpits, and allow for some other, really nice design possibilities. FS fits very similarly with D12 in that its parts are a bit more exclusive and for the most part, can't really be replaced with procedural stuff.

Also, if we are making and distributing a GameData folder, then we need permission from the original modders, but we should have no problem with incompatabilities.

Edited by Deathsoul097

I don't know how to use the procedural parts so that's the issue for me but I am wiling to learn.

-Eagle

Other than PDynamics, the general move at the moment is to make stuff procedural using the tweakable menus. PParts allows you to change texture, length, diameter, chose between different shapes such as cones, various smooth cones and rounded "Fillet" cylinders that also double as spheres through the menu. PFairings is also tweakable based, and AFAIK now only adds like 5 parts or something now. That said, PDynamics is easy to learn, it's just knowing what hotkeys to use.

Okay, thanks. I might try that out sometime. The wings don't make sense on how those would be accurately created (I have some designs that I plan to use that are from B9 and stock parts).

I'm not sure of this but I might be able to host but I can't run a server 24/7 but I have a friend who might but he doesn't own the game.

Okay, thanks. I might try that out sometime. The wings don't make sense on how those would be accurately created (I have some designs that I plan to use that are from B9 and stock parts).

I'm not sure of this but I might be able to host but I can't run a server 24/7 but I have a friend who might but he doesn't own the game.

Maybe we should talk to Majir? He has the capability, and his servers are well under capacity, from what I know. (He was talking about hosting a ReplacePort a little while back.)

Wings work on a basis of holding the action key, while you drag the mouse over the wing to shape it as you want, whether it be root size, tip size, or length and shape. You can also adjust the thickness through the tweakable menu, so don't worry about things looking oversized or undersized in that regard.

Edited by KasperVld

I would much prefer multiplayer, but if nobody can host the server, then I guess turn based is fine. Should we make a no quicksaving rule in that case?

Also, I play mostly on a laptop. Can I edit the SkillfulWeapons turret CFGs to remap the turret control keys from the (non-existent) number pad to other keys?

Edited by QuesoExplosivo

I would much prefer multiplayer, but if nobody can host the server, then I guess turn based is fine. Should we make a no quicksaving rule in that case?

Also, I play mostly on a laptop. Can I edit the SkillfulWeapons turret CFGs to remap the turret control keys from the (non-existent) number pad to other keys?

sort of....

I haven't had much success remapping anything in that mod but I am sure it is possible.

Your laptop doesn't have a numpad? Weird...

As for the Multiplayer thing, has anyone asked Majir yet? I think and hope he could run the server.

Go for it, Hodo makes it sound difficult though haha. I don't have a numpad either so I just used action groups though (just in case)

Yeah I'll add a no quick-saving rule. I hate quicksaving :(.

I'm almost done downloading all of the mods (real solar system is the last one besides the multiplayer). I've noticed some things:

1) Aerodynamic failures from FAR suck. Whenever I try turning my fighter jet, the wings fall off. (Sorry, the craft file is classified). Can we make aerodynamic failures less drastic?

2) The prices on Mission Controller Extended make sense for stock parts, but for mod parts they are just plain weird (example: electric Firespitter propellers cost vastly more than their liquid powered counterparts). I suggest using prices calculated by Mechjeb without MCE, and dividing the price in dollars by 1000 to get the number of credits.

If it would help get this started, I could upload my GameData folder with all of the mods once I confirm that there are no bugs.

Edited by QuesoExplosivo

I'm almost done downloading all of the mods (real solar system is the last one besides the multiplayer). I've noticed some things:

1) Aerodynamic failures from FAR suck. Whenever I try turning my fighter jet, the wings fall off. (Sorry, the craft file is classified). Can we make aerodynamic failures less drastic?

2) The prices on Mission Controller Extended make sense for stock parts, but for mod parts they are just plain weird (example: electric Firespitter propellers cost vastly more than their liquid powered counterparts). I suggest using prices calculated by Mechjeb without MCE, and dividing the price in dollars by 1000 to get the number of credits.

If it would help get this started, I could upload my GameData folder with all of the mods once I confirm that there are no bugs.

1- Struts. All I have to say. And pay attention to your speed and the air pressure. If you are pushing over 40kpa of air pressure you are looking at 40+ times the air pressure at ground level in game. So do the math, 40X your current wing load = Wings go POP!

So strut your wings, stock game lolrphysics don't work in FAR. And slow down your turns to a realistic level, no more turning on a dime and pulling 14Gs in a turn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.