Realism War Game!

What mods to use?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What mods to use?

Can multiplayer work well with RSS, weapons? It seems that would weed out some computers, but I've never used multiplayer so I don't know what it's like.

I'll get it now and if it works well on my dinky little Vaio laptop then I'll add it to req'd list. Then we could play real time or semi-turn based rather than full on wait-for-the-other-team-to-send-you-the-persistent-file turn based.

This seems quite interesting. I'm not usually up for military stuff, but this seems interesting. I'm in - been playing since around the end of July 2013, I don't mind what team I'm on. Although I would like to see how this is gonna work - are we gonna use e-mail or something to send persistent files or are we gonna use a multiplayer mod?. Either way, downloading the mods now!

This seems quite interesting. I'm not usually up for military stuff, but this seems interesting. I'm in - been playing since around the end of July 2013, I don't mind what team I'm on. Although I would like to see how this is gonna work - are we gonna use e-mail or something to send persistent files or are we gonna use a multiplayer mod?. Either way, downloading the mods now!

Added you to Blue!

Updated the OP with very new info, it's worth a read for everyone who's interested already. It's now going to use dark multiplayer, so that way the amount of people is somewhat less limited. If anyone dislikes any of the characteristics, or thinks of something I left out, let me know please!

I suppose time zones are difficult - I am in Kodiak, AK myself so I'm 4 hours behind EST. As long as we all compare to EST it should be okay.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. Spartwo, after I looked at your thread I think this does belong there.

Second edit: also after looking at it, I'm starting to think that turn-based would be better than multiplayer. Opinions?

Edited by horndgmium

This looks really cool. I would like to join this organization and since there is a lack of red team units, I would like to join red team. Also I would recommend dropping some mods like Infernal Robotics and Lazor System just so it does not affect peoples computers that drastically. And it is not known if Kerbal Multiplayer will work with all of these mods, the last time I have checked, Modded part will not work on KMP.

Added you to Blue!

Updated the OP with very new info, it's worth a read for everyone who's interested already. It's now going to use dark multiplayer, so that way the amount of people is somewhat less limited. If anyone dislikes any of the characteristics, or thinks of something I left out, let me know please!

I suppose time zones are difficult - I am in Kodiak, AK myself so I'm 4 hours behind EST. As long as we all compare to EST it should be okay.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. Spartwo, after I looked at your thread I think this does belong there.

Second edit: also after looking at it, I'm starting to think that turn-based would be better than multiplayer. Opinions?

I'm thinking about joining this thing, but i REALLY think it should be multiplayer, with no sorta turn-based thing at all.

Do ODIN satellites count as bombers, or can we have multiple guided weapons installed?

Nope, anything I'm orbit is fair game, only atmospheric Bombers are nerfed. Although, dre may add some good complexity to orbital strikes...

Xoknight I've got you on red! I think that in a very near future of DMP mods will be okay. The mod list will certainly be refined though.

And It'snotrocketscience that's definitely a good idea! Shall I put you on a team?

Nicholander, I'm thinking DMP will work better too, just need to make sure it works with mods. That way people can play as much as they want and simply mess around with crafts when they run out of building budget.

Oh by the way KotDemopan, you want in?

Edited by horndgmium

What I'll do tomorrow is make a common game data folder for everyone to download. That way there is absolutely zero discrepancy so the multiplayer server should work fine. I'll try to make a server as well if I can figure it out tomorrow.

I'll try to get everyone into decent agreement on what mods should be in the common game data folder. If anyone really disagrees with one of the choices, I'll get rid of it or replace it, so speak up tomorrow when I post it.

All good?

What I'll do tomorrow is make a common game data folder for everyone to download. That way there is absolutely zero discrepancy so the multiplayer server should work fine. I'll try to make a server as well if I can figure it out tomorrow.

I'll try to get everyone into decent agreement on what mods should be in the common game data folder. If anyone really disagrees with one of the choices, I'll get rid of it or replace it, so speak up tomorrow when I post it.

All good?

only 4 people joning?

btw how heavy is the MultiPlayer mod??

im running on a laptop, and im very interested, and i call myself not bad building stuff that's FUNCTIONAL, not pretty

and 1 more thing. could we standardize the time to using GMT+something? i mean im in GMT+7 timezone, when it's midnight where i am, it's daylight on US

too bad the TTmultiwheels are not updated yet, it is an amazing mod, and it helps majorly when building heavy ground forces

Edited by Koolkei

Well I only posted this a day or two ago so still gaining interest and participants haha. I think it's fairly non - invasive. But we'll figure out a standard time that's good for anyone, but tbh it's not really that important because that's only for resource allocation. I'd hope your team would leave you plenty if you can't get to it right away.

I've never tried that mod though, does it not work with the last update?

only 4 people joning?

btw how heavy is the MultiPlayer mod??

im running on a laptop, and im very interested, and i call myself not bad building stuff that's FUNCTIONAL, not pretty

and 1 more thing. could we standardize the time to using GMT+something? i mean im in GMT+7 timezone, when it's midnight where i am, it's daylight on US

too bad the TTmultiwheels are not updated yet, it is an amazing mod, and it helps majorly when building heavy ground forces

The DMP mod is much better than KMP - I figured out how to use it, for starters. It's not too heavy going, but if you download the 'active texture management' pack (or whatever it's called - something like that), crashes and memory-usage are some of the things you needn't worry about.

As for the GMT thing, yes. I agree. I am GMT+. I think that time zones are officially known by all or most countries as 'GMT+/-x', with 'x' being however many hours ahead/behind GMT.

Also, another quick question: If we build a base on, say, the mun, could we have a flag, saying 'hey, this is our base, you can't have it, but you can break it'? Not literally on the flag, but... you know what I mean. And with space stations, could we have our flag on the side of a module or something?

Edited by TJPrime

Well I only posted this a day or two ago so still gaining interest and participants haha. I think it's fairly non - invasive. But we'll figure out a standard time that's good for anyone, but tbh it's not really that important because that's only for resource allocation. I'd hope your team would leave you plenty if you can't get to it right away.

I've never tried that mod though, does it not work with the last update?

it does work. ive been using it. but some extended functionality that KSP implemented is unavailable since the last update was for .19

The DMP mod is much better than KMP - I figured out how to use it, for starters. It's not too heavy going, but if you download the 'active texture management' pack (or whatever it's called - something like that), crashes and memory-usage are some of the things you needn't worry about.

As for the GMT thing, yes. I agree. I am GMT+. I think that time zones are officially known by all or most countries as 'GMT+/-x', with 'x' being however many hours ahead/behind GMT.

Also, another quick question: If we build a base on, say, the mun, could we have a flag, saying 'hey, this is our base, you can't have it, but you can break it'? Not literally on the flag, but... you know what I mean. And with space stations, could we have our flag on the side of a module or something?

1. i have never used any multiplayer mod so i dont know anything about it.

2. 'not too heavy going' is how much for you? i mean im running a quad core slightly outdated low clocked AMD laptop, and KSP/unity only uses 2 core, which is a terrible combination. just by myself, i cant manage to make a craft 150 parts+ to not drop my FPS. (the graphic setting is already nearly on the bottom of the barrel, with like 1/8th the render resolution, so i dont think active management is going to help much, i've never had problem with having not enough memory anyway)

3. i think the 'flag' is already deployed when we come into the world. so we are not allowed to claim more 'new lands'. CMIIW

We should use a multiplayer mod, there's nothing really wrong with it. Like, real wars occur in real time. And the enemy counterattacks and defends their base in real time. When taking turns, the enemy will not be there to fire a turret or defend bases or intercept an attack. So, even if other people can't handle multiplayer on their computer, we should use it anyways. And we could always make a compromise, we mainly use multiplayer and pass the safe file around at the end of each day.

Hmm.

Opinion on mods:

DMP: Absolutely necessary, a complete must.

RealFuels is a must, and so is PP and FAR, that is absolute for RSS.

MJ would be nice, but I can do with VOID if needed. (Though, MJ has a vessel cost calculator, which would GREATLY simplify things on the budget system.)

RO would be nice, to a point, though I think I like the standardised sizes of stock more than IRL randomness.

B9 massively expands what you can do, as does KW, though less so.

P-Fairings is also good, but I can do with Cargo Bays and KW if needed too.

As for weapon systems, Lazor is alright, and PoleCatEZ's D12 B9 expansion supports it nicely, using FS model changing code, but ID's Skillfull is superior to the Lazor guided missile system. Speaking of D12, why isn't it an option? It is practically made for this. Skillfull also gives an IFF marker, which makes AutoTurrets work well for defending Key areas.

FS is not entirely necessary, as the plugin is included with other packs (And that's the only really good and valuable part for this.).

P-Dynamics confuses me sometimes. While being very cool and useful, the CoL marker is more than a bit buggy in my experience.

DammnedR? Never really used it to any great gain, but I've got some neat ideas for it in the future, so a bit more of a maybe on that one.

Opinion on the game:

Is this the right spot for this? It's not exactly a challenge, is it? More of a RP/Warfare game if you ask me. That said, I am deeply interested, and it would provide me a good starting point to get back into RSS, while giving an experienced player something more interesting to do. Whoever's team I join, I want to do some SpySat launching, and I have a sneaksy and generally D***ish way of deploying them. I think that Skillfull should be mandatory, as well as an IFF tag on every ship core, along with including Tem affiliation in the name of the ship, and player tag. This isn't real warfare, its a game, and I don't like the idea of another player taking advantage of my stuff because I thought he was friendly.

As Deathsoul said, RealFuels, PP and FAR are pretty much required for RSS.

I think we need some better mechanics, though. Most of the gameplay I see right now coming out of this is land based, and KSP is best played in SPAAACE! Here are some ideas we can use to make the orbital gameplay better.

RECON SATTELITES: Maybe we can make it so that you can only attack a base over which you have sattelite visibility or something, and to attack said base, your sattelite needs to have been around the target for 12 hours. This'll make for interesting integration of space combat as recon, as well as a platform for reaching the enemy, and also allow for more interesting strategic gameplay. e.g. a side could focus on deploying geostationary defenders above its critical bases that'll stop the enemy from targeting their base through geostationary orbits.

TURN BASED SPACE COMBAT: Because KSP is an international community, I don't think we'll be able to have interesting space combat unless we follow a turn based system. Any team could, say, declare a certain region of space, say a particular orbit near a space station, as a combat zone, and then proceed to attack said space station. The team has to have declared combat zone before they match orbits with the target, because otherwise, its kind of unfair to the defenders. Then the defenders should get their turn and until their turn is finished, the attackers shouldn't be able to do anything other than drift along.

And on another note, I think we should also use separate private threads (there are many websites that allow you to host private threads) where the teams can discuss missions. Instead of allocating resources in something like an actual meeting, which I know from experience is impossible to organize in an international community, the teams (with perhaps a team leader to organize things) can discuss things there. Perhaps individual members could submit proposals as to what they want, and this would help the teams to allocate resources to each team member. Say a member proposes a long term spy satellite to monitor enemy launches, while another proposes an experimental missile system, while someone else proposes a ground based defence system. The team leader could prioritize the development and building of crafts as he/she sees fit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.