[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Yeah basically I think I'll create a branch, for that version that really does require Linux x64 and plentiful RAM.. that is what it's for btw so you guys can get your hands on the stuff from those recent screenshots :)

Thanks!

Yeah basically I think I'll create a branch, for that version that really does require Linux x64 and plentiful RAM.. that is what it's for btw so you guys can get your hands on the stuff from those recent screenshots :)

That would rock so hard, thanks a bunch in advance! Good thing I've been running KSP on Linux forever :D

Hello

Do you take last Eve release ? if yes do you have white continent on game load & black planet in high orbit ? if yes goo on that high orbit open Eve Manager edit on oceanMaterial > _SurfaceColor 31,55,87,127 make to be 31,55,87,1270 ... it will generate a exception if you look on debug console something like Overflow crap ... but it will fix black planet, don't ask me way atm i am try to figure what value are make eve to get crazy soo if u can make test to it will be good to compare result for proper feedback

Need badly that config file what i ask in past for can test you know what !!!! & from what i see in last release it seems to be ok to start use Earth name but thing are get screwed from not proper config, need more time to play with value

p.s. if i remove completely terrain.cfg all work fine with Earth name & i not need to force apply nothing what make me think something screwed there but how i say more test result better feedback for Ray :P

p.s. clean your mail / imbox it seems you are full noo more private msg can be sent to you!!!!!!

Some of the better pics from some recent testing:

(let me know what you think about the look of the atmosphere's height, I've tried to lower it in scatterer but it didn't seem to do much other than create some artifacts, I'm sure it looks lower from ISS photos?)

http://imgur.com/a/3aZ5p

I makes me sad that I'm completely unable to get this to work.

I makes me sad that I'm completely unable to get this to work.

ah dang, uh what version were you trying? I'm in the process of updating the port for 1.0.4 and getting my heavy ram-use linux version up on github. I don't suppose you have linux x64?

EDIT: Will try to have at least the port up-to-date by midnight GMT and if possible a new branch for Linux; have to head out for the moment but can help troubleshoot later this evening

Edited by pingopete

Hello

Do you take last Eve release ? if yes do you have white continent on game load & black planet in high orbit ? if yes goo on that high orbit open Eve Manager edit on oceanMaterial > _SurfaceColor 31,55,87,127 make to be 31,55,87,1270 ... it will generate a exception if you look on debug console something like Overflow crap ... but it will fix black planet, don't ask me way atm i am try to figure what value are make eve to get crazy soo if u can make test to it will be good to compare result for proper feedback

Need badly that config file what i ask in past for can test you know what !!!! & from what i see in last release it seems to be ok to start use Earth name but thing are get screwed from not proper config, need more time to play with value

p.s. if i remove completely terrain.cfg all work fine with Earth name & i not need to force apply nothing what make me think something screwed there but how i say more test result better feedback for Ray :P

p.s. clean your mail / imbox it seems you are full noo more private msg can be sent to you!!!!!!

Ahh thanks for letting me know about the mail box, and yes I'll give this a try, weird that the terrain requires planet names but not atmosphere or city lights?!

How much ram will use this version?

Just now my KSP eats 6.5 GB of 8 GB on my laptop :)

You may need texture management if using the RVE Linux version with many mods (especially part mods) though I haven't tested mem. usage specifically for it yet.

As of yet this is untested since upload - Linux x64 branch on Github: https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64

Also note an updated master branch of that repo for windows users (Tested on Win32 may require OpenGL(Bugs) or Texture management with mods (DW I will get a better version out for windows users, I just have to do A LOT of memory optimization :P

Edited by pingopete

What is the difference between the Linux and master branches? Is there some reason the Linux one would not work on windows, or is it just a matter of memory optimization?

Edited by avi

What is the difference between the Linux and master branches? Is there some reason the Linux one would not work on windows, or is it just a matter of memory optimization?

Yeah it almost definitely won't run on Windows32bit or at least at all reliably with any number of part mods. But my next aim is to update the 32bit version to use all the features provided in the latest overhaul as well, I think I'll just ahve to scale down the texture a fair bit.

EDIT: The windows 32 bit version should just about work with opengl and other mods running atm

Edited by pingopete

Thanks for your amazing work, pingo!

Just trying to play on Linux with installed ATM (RSS and RO versions are up to date, also I have Scatterer and EVE Overhaul x86). I have very strange glitch - the red haze around the Sun and very blue sky high above the Earth:

zCfM6n2.png

What was going wrong? Do you need my player.log?

Great work Pingopete!. Amazing sunrise effects.... wowww! Scattering work very well. Thanks for sharing this repo.

Specs:

[email protected]

HyperX@8gb

GTX960 2gb

Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS x64

Official Nvidia Driver 352.30

Fixed stuttering camera issue with mouse polling rate to 125hz.

Launching with this script:

#!/bin/sh

sync && echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

export LC_ALL=C
export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"
export __GL_LOG_MAX_ANISO=0
export __GL_FSAA_MODE=2
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

#exec taskset -c 2-3 ./KSP.x86_64
./KSP.x86_64

Theorically disable Aniso and enable AA. I repeat, thank you for share this!.

A simple screenshot:

PZ2r8uQ.jpg

Hi, first of all I'd like to say thanks Pingopete for doing this, I now find it hard to play RSS/RO without your amazing enhancement.

I did however run into some issues with the recent version, hope you can help me out:

1. This is something I've been running into also in the previous version (after pressing Alt+E on the launch pad):

eV8E2z0.png

is this as it should be or is there something wrong with my install?

2. I LEO I'm getting this:

EaUoMtb.jpg

This was not an issue with the previous version. In the readme you mentioned: "EVE-GUI APPLY WILL CAUSE SERIOUS BUGS WHEN IN LOW ORBIT". Is this a manfiestation of these bugs or, again, did I do something wrong?

Edited by kuba1410

Well, every goes fine just for this:

O4YDRyC.png

When i load a fly from tracking station, i get this. Blue earth.

Every else is ok.

Thanks Pingopete for this great work!!!.

EDIT: Fixed issue. Exit from de current sandbox game to main menu, and then enter again in the same sandbox and every things are OK. Fly loaded in tracking station are OK.

Edited by Krakatomi
Add fix info

Hi, first of all I'd like to say thanks Pingopete for doing this, I now find it hard to play RSS/RO without your amazing enhancement.

I did however run into some issues with the recent version, hope you can help me out:

1. This is something I've been running into also in the previous version (after pressing Alt+E on the launch pad):

http://i.imgur.com/eV8E2z0.png

is this as it should be or is there something wrong with my install?

2. I LEO I'm getting this:

http://i.imgur.com/EaUoMtb.jpg

This was not an issue with the previous version. In the readme you mentioned: "EVE-GUI APPLY WILL CAUSE SERIOUS BUGS WHEN IN LOW ORBIT". Is this a manfiestation of these bugs or, again, did I do something wrong?

Did you go to launchpad/runway before switching to orbit or did you just go via tracking station straight away?

Well, every goes fine just for this:

http://i.imgur.com/O4YDRyC.png

When i load a fly from tracking station, i get this. Blue earth.

Every else is ok.

Thanks Pingopete for this great work!!!.

EDIT: Fixed issue. Exit from de current sandbox game to main menu, and then enter again in the same sandbox and every things are OK. Fly loaded in tracking station are OK.

That's weird..

Edited by pingopete

Did you go to launchpad/runway before switching to orbit or did you just go via tracking station straight away?

I launched my RVE install to make sure - yes, this occurs even when the first thing I do is go to the launchpad.

Edited by kuba1410

Yeah it almost definitely won't run on Windows32bit or at least at all reliably with any number of part mods. But my next aim is to update the 32bit version to use all the features provided in the latest overhaul as well, I think I'll just ahve to scale down the texture a fair bit.

EDIT: The windows 32 bit version should just about work with opengl and other mods running atm

Yeah, only reason I wanted to move from the current windows 32 bit version is the lack of scaledspace terrain detail textures. I actually did try the windows version, and it ran without much of an issue, though there were some weird effects. I should probably be more patient and just wait.

Yeah, only reason I wanted to move from the current windows 32 bit version is the lack of scaledspace terrain detail textures. I actually did try the windows version, and it ran without much of an issue, though there were some weird effects. I should probably be more patient and just wait.

I'm working on bringing all the features from the linux version to windows but it will require quite some optimisation for it to even run.

I don't know if I'm installing the linux version incorrectly or something, but RVE doesn't seem like it's working at all, no effects, no nothing, although I copied the RVE folders into Gamedata correctly.

Does everyone get this when running the linux version? Or has anyone got it working?

I launched my RVE install to make sure - yes, this occurs even when the first thing I do is go to the launchpad.

In the EVE Gui (ALT+E) do you have an atmosphere? So you loaded up the game went to a ship/loaded a ship on the runway/LP then switched via map to an orbiting satellite (that's the safest method I know), and didn't hit apply when in orbit?

EDIT: Just realised I got something wrong in the repo, Try getting the updated RVE.cfg (from RVE folder) and removing replacing the RSS configs (replaced by RVE) and using the original configs (RSS.cfg and RSSkopernicus) with the ones provided in RealSolarSystem mod. P.S. sorry you won't have to do this again, there's now an rve patcher for it

Edited by pingopete

Does everyone get this when running the linux version? Or has anyone got it working?

I seem to be getting the RVE Scatterer effects (more or less, map view shows a Kerbin sized atmosphere inside Earth though) and lens flare but nothing else. Do we need to activate clouds, terrain, etc. via the EVE GUI like the Windows version? Alt-E does nothing under Linux.

EDIT:

screenshot4-X2.png

P.S. Any way of getting the lens flare in front of everything except GUI elements? Here it seems to be in front of the Earth but behind my craft.

Edited by DrHotdog

I seem to be getting the RVE Scatterer effects (more or less, map view shows a Kerbin sized atmosphere inside Earth though) but nothing else. Do we need to activate it via the EVE GUI like the Windows version? Alt-E does nothing under Linux.

Could you post some screens? Did you get the latest version of EVE overhaul?

EDIT: And yes I need to look into that, I'd imagine it's dooable to bring that layer forwards

Edited by pingopete

EDIT: Just realised I got something wrong in the repo, Try getting the updated RVE.cfg (from RVE folder) and removing replacing the RSS configs (replaced by RVE) and using the original configs (RSS.cfg and RSSkopernicus) with the ones provided in RealSolarSystem mod. P.S. sorry you won't have to do this again, there's now an rve patcher for it

if you use original RSS config then you will have more problem aka you will need to rename all to Kerbin to Earth (hope u will do it coz i want to know what result u will get from linux :P ) BUT from what test i made till now name atm it not mater result are same => EVE to work how you want it!!! it need to get scrue aka if is fix exception / error what it generate then fun part it begin ;) yes probabil you will get confuse when i say this but if you will start test your self you will see :D

to make this work for windows is easy part from optimize texture perspective ... lower rezolution all file down to 2.4 - 5 mb max ... real problem came from how it work eve, scatterer in windows ;) & this is part what it make my head want to explode :)

anyway i am on lurking mod in #RVEDev & #RO

Could you post some screens? Did you get the latest version of EVE overhaul?

Right looks like I'm not gonna get away without retesting my upload this time :P Will work back through it and see if I can't fix some of these bugs. Thankyou all for the nice bug reports it's very helpful when it's constructive! :)

As said before if anyone has the linux build working at all can you post some pics or let me know, so far it seems no one else has been able to get it working. (BTW if you're updating the linux RVE (since recent changes today) re-install RSS then install RVE again with fixes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.