[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hi all. I'm having trouble with this mod. When I use the Flight Computer to set up a maneuver node burn on the far side of Kerbin, it executes on time, but the node marker drifts at the very end of the burn, causing the probe to try to reorient itself to face the marker WHILE burning, which of course sends it into an irrecoverable spin until it runs out of fuel. Why is the flight computer not smart enough to either cut the engines while reorienting OR just cut the engines when the node goes green and is "close enough"?

Also very suspicious is the fact that when the flight computer is doing a burn, the whole probe wobbles in a tight circle as it tries to keep pointing at the node. This wobbling is probably causing the inaccuracies that make the node shift to the other side once the timer has run out.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

I love the idea of the mod, but after reading tutorials and starting a fresh game with it, something hit me like a hyperspace bypass operation.

Why does everyone talk about all the trouble of putting up satellites and stuff, when I can just stick a manned pod on the craft and all problems is solved.

I think the mod simulate real world sat systems well (Not a Sat Scientist, so I could be wrong), but you seem to have forgotten the difference between Kerbals and the real world and you just created all the problems with sats, but none of the reasons we use them over manned probes.

I love the idea of the mod, but after reading tutorials and starting a fresh game with it, something hit me like a hyperspace bypass operation.

Why does everyone talk about all the trouble of putting up satellites and stuff, when I can just stick a manned pod on the craft and all problems is solved.

I think the mod simulate real world sat systems well (Not a Sat Scientist, so I could be wrong), but you seem to have forgotten the difference between Kerbals and the real world and you just created all the problems with sats, but none of the reasons we use them over manned probes.

So don't use the mod? Cheers.

Because the trouble is fun. If you find the trouble a real trouble, then probably you don't install this mod at first place...

And, once you install both RT and TAC Life support, that is funner, you can't abuse manned mission as well.

Are you asking why not attach a manned pod when you first deploy your commsat network? That would require a bit more dV to get off the ground I imagine. I did try it this way for my first go, but the ship was very unstable for some reason. Probably because I stuck the satellite on the nose of the command pod. The advantage of having someone there so you don't lose contact is nice, but really, as long as the flight computer is working, you can just set up all your maneuvers when the satellite is above KSC. And yes, I did have to manually cut my LV909's thrust down to about 50% so that the flight computer wouldn't overshoot the burn and spin out of control.

Because the trouble is fun. If you find the trouble a real trouble, then probably you don't install this mod at first place...

And, once you install both RT and TAC Life support, that is funner, you can't abuse manned mission as well.

I was talking to someone the other day about this very thing. He mentioned how much he struggled with just the stock game and was amazed I would "put [my]self through" the trouble of RT and other mods. Then I told him I've been playing KSP for 2 years, and I need something to slow down my progression, otherwise I'll just wind up running sandbox and building the biggest ship I can, flying around the solar system, and then never play again.

your engines may be too powerful for the body of your craft, try reducing the thrust manually on the engines.

Thanks! That solved the problem. Anything under 50% for the LV909 seems to work pretty well.

What is the fewest satellites needed to achieve full body coverage? I have made a 18 satellite network around kerbin, with 6 evenly spaced satellites on 0 inclination, 60 inclination, and -60 inclination, all aligned perfectly (so 3 satellites have near passes at both sides, where all the orbits cross planes). However this was more for the fun of it, then actual use. So what is the fewest needed to achieve full body coverage (assuming you antenna distance wasn't a problem)?

In case anyone if interested in pics

sFq64tZ.jpg

As for how I keep them in formation. I bring them into orbit on my own, get the plane and position in respect to the other satellites done on my own, then bring the SMA with 1 of what is intended (so for example in this constellation, the orbit is at 500,000 meter AP and PE, that means a SMA of 110,000. So I'll have to bring the satellite to a SMA between 109,999 and 110,001). Then I leave the craft, and use HyperEdit to change the SMA to EXACTLY 110,000. This way the satellites doesn't have drift. I usually make it a rule to also leave at least 1 km DeltaV, in each satellite so as to simulate the ground being able to compensate for drift.

This is really the only way to do it, as rounding errors make it impossible to manually achieve completely stable orbits, and while I love hands on for somethings, keep 50+ satellites from drifting isn't one of them ;)

Edited by Sokar408

How do I actually run science experiments around the Mun?

Once I get a certain distance away, I can only seem to control the probe via the flight computer, which is fine for flight, but that gives me no control over my science experiments, or ability to change where my dishes are pointed.

All,

This is not my first attempting with playing with RT2 (I consider it a must-have mod), but this is the first time I am trying to deploy four communications sats during one mission. Sat one went without a hitch. Sat 2, however, lost my maneuver node burn that I had setup in my flight computer. I had a checklist to make sure I didn't miss any steps, as I knew that this sat would not have a KSC connection at the time of the burn. Here's what I did, step by step, starting from my deployment vehicle in stable orbit, with all my sats having antennas deployed and activated.

Sat one, decoupled from platform, engines activated, maneuver node and burn set (thanks, Precise Node). Raw time alarm set for next deployment. Flight computer updated by setting orientation to maneuver node, and program EXECuted. Engines fired on profile. Second maneuver node set (KSC connection still active), flight computer updated (orientation and program) and double-checked while still in range of KSC. Warped to second node (no KSC connection here). Engines fired on profile.

Sat two, approximately 20 minutes before node (and within range of KSC), decoupled from platform, engines activated. Maneuver node and burn set, second maneuver node and burn pre-set in Precise node. Raw time alarm for next deployment set. Flight computer updated by setting orientation to maneuver node, and program EXECuted. Double checked program while still in range of KSC, as connection would not be available for first node.

Switched back to Deployment platform. Completed a contract.

Switched to KSC. Duplicated a building launch vehicle in KCT queue, added new contact. Switched to Tracking station. Warped to KAC maneuver node alarm. Switched to Sat two. Cleared and deleted alarm, opened flight computer. No maneuver node present. Flight computer now reads "Kill Rotation", which was *not* pressed after decoupling. Watched KER count down last minute to node burn. Engines did not fire.

Output log here: http://1drv.ms/1KhNBNi

Suggestions? It is, of course, possible that it was human error, but I was being really really careful about double checking, and this was only the second sat deployment. I am certain to the point of temporary insanity that the node was set in the flight computer before I switched away.

One other oddity. While I was testing my sat deployment, I noticed that if I left the flight computer open while I switched from one sat to another, the computer would continue counting down the maneuver node for the sat I had switched from, and not the sat that I was currently looking at, until (and unless) I closed and reopened it.

Thanks in advance!

So what is the fewest needed to achieve full body coverage (assuming you antenna distance wasn't a problem)?

The range a 3 sat network misses is pretty small, there should be significant overlap. if you have 3 in polar and three in equatorial.

@eightiesboi:

I have encounter the same issue, so it's not you ;)

3 sat in one launch:

For sat 1, i create only 1 note to circularize to orbit push "node" and "exec" in flight computer : all seem ok.

At node, burn start fine and... won't stop.

for 2nd round, i try to use mechjeb (execute "next node") and same fate, won't stop burning.

hopefully i have connection so i can do it without the flight comp.

For sat 2 SAS (target/prograde...) do nothing, but manual control work, so i don't try flight comp and do it manually.

For sat 3, SAS work, i don't try flight comp.

hope that help a little.

I have hit a weird issue several times now. For some reason the flight computer goes crazy and stops accepting commands.

Here's what I've seen:

0. Sat is in range of ground station or a relay (doesn't matter which).

1. Flight computer is set to Hold Maneuver Prograde.

2. No maneuver is set up.

3. Sat starts tumbling. You can't switch to Kill Rotation, or send any other command. New commands flash for a fraction of a second and disappear. Sat tumbles like crazy.

The only way to get out of this state is to set up a maneuver. Sat suddenly starts accepting commands.

Is this a known issue, or a new problem?

What is the fewest satellites needed to achieve full body coverage?

I do pretty well with only 3 equatorial keosynchronous comm sats, 1 looking down over KSC's east horizon, 1 looking down over KSC's west horizon, and 1 over the far side of Kerbin. Each sat has one DTS-M1 pointed at Kerbin, which covers LKO, one antenna for each neighbor sat, one for reaching back to KSC (for the sunrise & sunset positions), then additional longer range antennae for reaching out to the Mun, Minmus, or beyond.

I set it up with two sats visible from KSC for a redundant connection (especially in case one drifts out of sight of KSC before I notice and correct).

I don't know if that's 100% complete coverage, but it does pretty well.

Oh, and this is all with the Root Range model enabled, which lets long range antennae reach out further to shorter range antennae (more like real life).

I don't know if that's 100% complete coverage, but it does pretty well.

It will get everything except landed at the extreme poles. Like right on the north or south pole would likely lose communications. Having communications there isn't all that useful anyway.

Minimum for 100% coverage is 6.

What is the fewest satellites needed to achieve full body coverage?

In theory you can have 100% coverage with 4 satellites in a tethraedron constellation, but they're hard as hell to launch and synch. If I'd go that way I'd probably write some kos code to help me.

About tuning orbits, I read some advice about using rcs, never tried though. I usually burn manually, and set an alarm every 100 days or so and repeat. But I keep their count down, like 4 or so on eq. plane.

Wow, that's a great idea! I've used the low power output on bigger engines before, but I never thought of bringing along a tiny engine AND low power output for precision orbit modification. Thanks!

One thing which isn't fun to me with this mod ist the aspect of setting up the first network around kerbin. i had to accomplish this with manned capsules. carrying a proper satellite with them. did this more than necessary so now i have 5 sats in 390km orbit, all working fine. the mod itself is fun, especially with seti it's quite a challenge.

what i didn't like is the fact that i need manned vehicles to get started with probes. in my opinion it would be great if probes could be operated within a 75km orbit around kerbin, regardless of line of sight to mission control. if this is considered to easy or whatever then add a strategy or a techtree node or something else which allows to build up a kerbinwide communications network, which would allow control of probes within a 75km orbit. this would allow to set up a probe network unmanned, but wouldn't allow completion of the networkcontracts to easily. i have not looked yet, but i think on earth they were built mostly without manned operations, or not? can't imagine kerbin is lacking some sort of network capable of reaching near space around it.

would be cool if you could think about this or make it an option or so, it's not that is to difficult adding a capsule and let it return or stuff like that, it's more an immersion thing for me. more an annoyance, than an issue.

what do you think?

One thing which isn't fun to me with this mod ist the aspect of setting up the first network around kerbin. i had to accomplish this with manned capsules. carrying a proper satellite with them. did this more than necessary so now i have 5 sats in 390km orbit, all working fine. the mod itself is fun, especially with seti it's quite a challenge.

what i didn't like is the fact that i need manned vehicles to get started with probes. in my opinion it would be great if probes could be operated within a 75km orbit around kerbin, regardless of line of sight to mission control. if this is considered to easy or whatever then add a strategy or a techtree node or something else which allows to build up a kerbinwide communications network, which would allow control of probes within a 75km orbit. this would allow to set up a probe network unmanned, but wouldn't allow completion of the networkcontracts to easily. i have not looked yet, but i think on earth they were built mostly without manned operations, or not? can't imagine kerbin is lacking some sort of network capable of reaching near space around it.

would be cool if you could think about this or make it an option or so, it's not that is to difficult adding a capsule and let it return or stuff like that, it's more an immersion thing for me. more an annoyance, than an issue.

what do you think?

I'm curious as to why you think you need manned vehicles to get started. I set up a probe with 3 different antennas on it, launched it and was able to get it into orbit at about 150 km. The only annoyance I had was having to activate the second and third antennas while the ship was under power

how could you do this? maybe i did something wrong, it's the first time i use this mod. well, i get some ideas now that i am reading your post.

could it be that i have to activate one dish or antenna as soon as possible and point it at mission control and make for a higher initial orbit to be as long as possible within range, Los and angle to mission control? hm, i think i can see we're i did things wrong. my main problem was that i couldn't achieve orbit with a probe before losing contact to mission control. if this is possible it would render my suggestion useless of course :)

how could you do this? maybe i did something wrong, it's the first time i use this mod. well, i get some ideas now that i am reading your post.

could it be that i have to activate one dish or antenna as soon as possible and point it at mission control and make for a higher initial orbit to be as long as possible within range, Los and angle to mission control? hm, i think i can see we're i did things wrong. my main problem was that i couldn't achieve orbit with a probe before losing contact to mission control. if this is possible it would render my suggestion useless of course :)

If you set up your maneuver node while you still have contact with mission control, you can program it into the flight computer and it will do it automatically.

It would help to read the manual :-)

Anyway, the basics:

You need to have the following antennas on it:

Reflectron DP-10 for initial communications up to 500 km

Communotron 16 for communications up to 2,500 km. This is an omni-directional antenna, it doesn't need to be pointed, just activated

Comms DTS-M1 for communication up to 50,000 km. This antenna is directional, needs to be activated AND pointed to something. Initially you will point it to the space center.

The Reflectron is used to launchpad communications and the initial ascent. As soon as your probe gets above 50 km or so, you need to activate the Communotron 16 so that you still have control when the ship gets further away than 500 km. You should shortly after that activate the DTS-M1 and point it to the space center.

Make sure of the following:

1. You don't run out of electricity

2. There is a line of sight between the probe and the space center. If there is no line of sight, you will not have control

3. In the map view, you will see the currently active communication lines (in yellow, i think) If you don't see lines, you don't have line-of-sight.

Line-of-sight is really to another transmitter/receiver. As long as there is a complete path back to the space center, you have control.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, I found that I only had time to get the probe to an orbit of about 150 km, otherwise it would get out of range before attaining orbit. The next time around, I'm able to boost the orbit to a higher level.

I suggest you read this web page, which is a much more in-depth description of what I just summarized

LGG