[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I'm confused. Got a problem. Short version of the story is that I've got a satellite that isn't aimed at any thing. I screwed up and disconnected it by pointing it at the wrong thing. So I'm trying to rescue it by sending another satellite on a flyby to talk to it by Omni. I'm right on top of the thing, 20 km but it's still showing as not connected. I get a white line on the orbital map. Can you not talk: Omni-dish-Omni to, by this I mean ground to satellite by Omni - sat to sat by dish - sat to sat by omni using a satellite as a long range relay to then make an Omni communication? Is that clear? Am I doing some thing wrong?

Lee

Do you have the little... Always On Antenna, sorry don't recall the name? It's the one with two wires sticking out 180 degrees apart. If you don't have it on your probe you'll hit a certain altitude and lose signal. Drove me crazy till I realized that.

Lee

Right. You can launch manned with no problem. If you're failing, that shouldn't be a problem with RT. If you launch unmanned, you'll want the Reflectron DP-10 which has a range of 500km. It'll get you to orbit if you take a pretty vertical approach. If you do a nice efficient gravity turn, you'll possibly go out of range of KSC before you can circularize. Add on any longer range one and you'll definitely be fine, but you'll need to activate it before it'll work, and you'll want to do that via action group around the time you punch out of the atmosphere.

RT requires a layered communication approach. For anything more permanent or more distant, you'll also want to add a suitable length dish and activate + target it before you leave range of your shorter antennas. I typically have 2 antenna and 1 dish minimum on my craft - the Reflectron which is always on, the Communotron 32 which is the longest antenna, and then a dish that has roughly double the maximum range to Kerbin so it can reach sats on the far side if need be. Since dishes can only interact with one target, if you are setting up a network, the craft that form the network will likely need multiple dishes - one active craft target, one KSC or relay target, and then one or more to target outbound craft and/or other relays for redundancy.

And the probe cores do come with a 3km built-in antenna, but you need to manually unlock it under the advanced unmanned tech science tree node if you're paying for parts. Handy for rendezvous and station runabouts.

Edited by johnsonwax

I've been using RT for months, but I recently became so frustrated with some dish-pointing issues that I decided to change all antennas to omni range and give up on directional antennas for a while. I have to admit that I actually like it better now and it's a lot less frustrating.

I've been using RT for months, but I recently became so frustrated with some dish-pointing issues that I decided to change all antennas to omni range and give up on directional antennas for a while. I have to admit that I actually like it better now and it's a lot less frustrating.

That is so bizarre, I saw an email notification that someone had posted in this thread and it made me think `must remember to ask how to set all antenna as omni` and then I clicked on the email and saw that was exactly what you were talking about.

Any chance you could post your .cfg file on here for others who would wish to also not have to point antenna?

That is so bizarre, I saw an email notification that someone had posted in this thread and it made me think `must remember to ask how to set all antenna as omni` and then I clicked on the email and saw that was exactly what you were talking about.

Any chance you could post your .cfg file on here for others who would wish to also not have to point antenna?

here hope it helps http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305-0-25-0-RemoteTech-v1-5-1?p=1574293&viewfull=1#post1574293

Before I start tracking down this issue to make a report...

Whenever I have a vehicle without an antenna (including EVAs,) RT spams the log with:

[Log]: RemoteTech: Unexpected dish target: System.ArgumentException: Guid is neither a satellite nor a celestial body: 
Parameter name: targetable
at RemoteTech.NetworkManager.GetPositionFromGuid (Guid targetable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RemoteTech.RangeModelExtensions.IsInFieldOfView (IAntenna dish, ISatellite target, ISatellite antennaSat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It brings the FPS down to an almost unplayable rate.

Any ideas?

Edited by madbadger2742

Both have power. Both have active Omni's. Range right now is 57 km. But it was as low as 20 km. Rescue ship has connection, lost ship does not. I can't seem to get a link to the lost ship through the Omni on the rescue ship. There is a gray line between them. I'm not sure what I would show you in a screen shot. What would help?

Lee

Both have power. Both have active Omni's. Range right now is 57 km. But it was as low as 20 km. Rescue ship has connection, lost ship does not. I can't seem to get a link to the lost ship through the Omni on the rescue ship. There is a gray line between them. I'm not sure what I would show you in a screen shot. What would help?

Lee

Here's a little bit of a Hail Mary question: What types of probe cores do the two ships have? I've never bothered to ask whether a manned ship with an antenna but no probe core can relay, or if a ModuleSPU is required. If your rescue ship is manned and that's a requirement, that might do it.

Lee

Don't they say a picture is worth a thousand words anyway so we don't have to ask all this ? we might just see whats wrong faster.

Ok, pulled some teeth. So that's one showing the connection to the rescue probe. The lack of connection to the lost probe. Both have Omni. Both have power. And the last showing the rest of the satellites in the chain. It can relay through them. Why can't it relay through this last satellite?

Lee

I see something that could be useful. In the second screenshot, the lines between "COM Rescue" and Kerbin disappeared when you switched to the dead satellite. That suggests that upstream of "COM rescue" is a dish targeted to "active vessel" that's breaking the link when you switch away.

Couple of questions about your pictures:

In the second picture, where it looks like you're focused on the dead satellite, it looks like you have a couple of the orange lines indicating dish connections connected to the dead satellite. Where is the dead satellite's dish targeted, and what's at the other end of those lines?

In the fourth picture, showing Kerbin, it looks like you're focused on the rescue ship (same MET on the clock). Am I correct that the dead satellite is on basically the same orbit, close enough that the icons overlap?

That was it. One of the relays was making connection through Active rather then rescue being specified as the designated target. So when I switched to the lost probe it switched with me but there was nothing pointed back. The other lines there were from other lost probes they were all pointing at each other and none of them pointing home. It was a mess but I finely got it all straight. Thanks. That was the answer I was missing.

On a separate topic for the developer. It would be nice if I could designate back up targets for an antenna. So if one drops out it would automatically try rerouting through the back up.

But for now all is well, and again thank you.

Lee

I'm stuck on a strange problem, and I'm not sure if it's RT or some other mod causing it. I'm getting this message spammed to the screen:

[Flight Computer]: Out of power, cannot run 'Target Mun' on schedule.

I'm running MechJeb on a manned ship with a probe and a few landers attached and trying to to a Mun transfer. Everything else is working fine, the ship is maneuverable, MJ seems to be happily doing it's thing, but if I try to warp I get the following message mixed in:

[Flight Computer]: Throttling back time warp...

And it won't allow me to warp to the next maneuver node. The ship has loads of power (4000 in the batteries) and two solar panels deployed collecting 24 units/sec. There's nothing in the logs or anywhere else that I can point to. Does this look like a RT message? Just trying to figure out where to start on this one.

I'm stuck on a strange problem, and I'm not sure if it's RT or some other mod causing it. I'm getting this message spammed to the screen:

[Flight Computer]: Out of power, cannot run 'Target Mun' on schedule.

I'm running MechJeb on a manned ship with a probe and a few landers attached and trying to to a Mun transfer. Everything else is working fine, the ship is maneuverable, MJ seems to be happily doing it's thing, but if I try to warp I get the following message mixed in:

[Flight Computer]: Throttling back time warp...

And it won't allow me to warp to the next maneuver node. The ship has loads of power (4000 in the batteries) and two solar panels deployed collecting 24 units/sec. There's nothing in the logs or anywhere else that I can point to. Does this look like a RT message? Just trying to figure out where to start on this one.

The "[Flight Computer]" messages do come from RT. RT kills time acceleration if there's a command it's trying to execute or if another vessel comes into physics range.

"Out of power" is issued if something has set isControlSource to false on the probe core whose ModuleSPU is currently being used (most often done by ModuleCommand when a probe core can't get EC, but can happen for other reasons). If that happens, any commands that come through the queue while the probe core is disabled are discarded.

It looks like MechJeb is trying to target the Mun as part of the transfer program, but RT is eating the commands because it thinks they're coming from the ground and something has disabled the probe core. Are you using the AR202 MechJeb box, or have you added the MJ module to the manned capsule?

Does anyone ever run into an issue where the launch clamps left on the launchpad still count as part of the vehicle, resulting in the spacecraft always having local control?

It may or may not be related to using the optional replacement clamps in KW Rocketry.

The "[Flight Computer]" messages do come from RT. RT kills time acceleration if there's a command it's trying to execute or if another vessel comes into physics range.

"Out of power" is issued if something has set isControlSource to false on the probe core whose ModuleSPU is currently being used (most often done by ModuleCommand when a probe core can't get EC, but can happen for other reasons). If that happens, any commands that come through the queue while the probe core is disabled are discarded.

It looks like MechJeb is trying to target the Mun as part of the transfer program, but RT is eating the commands because it thinks they're coming from the ground and something has disabled the probe core. Are you using the AR202 MechJeb box, or have you added the MJ module to the manned capsule?

I've added the MJ module via MM. I'll go through those and try and narrow the problem down a bit. It's a complex craft at this stage - a transfer stage with a probe core so that it can be re-entered (I need the money - hard career), there's the manned lander, there's my Mun mapping probe, there's a skycrane/rover combo that has both a manned capsule and probe core on the skycrane (the capsule is currently unmanned) and the rover is currently unmanned. There's a separator between the transfer stage and the various landers/probes, but the rest are all connected via docking ports, as some will return.

What's probably the issue is that the whole mess was constructed around the rover as the root part, but it's unmanned (and therefore doesn't have the minimum crew) and I'm controlling it from the lander. Let me poke at it a bit, iterating through which parts are in control and maybe enable/disabling some things. I think you've got me pointed in the right direction, thank you. I may have my MM configs a bit hosed, so I'll look at those as well.

Hi - Thanks for the terrific mod.

Is there any way for the flight computer to remember the settings inputted when switching vessels? I just switched between 2 satellites which I had just set up for Mun insertion burns and made a cuppa ... came back and they were heading off into the void.

Sorry, did a thread search but came up with little useful info on the topic.