[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

ETA: The SS was taken after I had passed over the point where the station was going below the horizon. I flew right past it and got no signal, and had no control over the craft.

Anyway, I guess I'm just posting this so you might know there's an issue. I've already uninstalled the mod.

Hmm, that's odd... I'm not too familiar with RSS, but maybe there's an issue with the antenna range? Sounds to me like the antenna isn't being registered by RT... maybe there's conflicting MM patches? And I can safely say RT works fine without RSS... so don't go saying this mod is broken. :rolleyes:

this is why I set up my LKO network ASAP...

At this point, I would love to do this. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to launch a satellite network.

I'd like to try this just to see if it is a LOS issue (I don't think it is, but I can't rule it out without the network). But I don't have the money for it, which is another issue. It seems like I hit a wall with the Real Solar System / Deadly Reentry / Remote Tech / Etc. Mods that are installed with the Realism Overhaul mod.

Speaking of which, I've re-installed Remote Tech. I just freaking hate to be beaten! I just flew another mission and the same thing happened to me. I think at low orbit altitudes, there are definitely spots where you have no LOS to any ground station. So this makes me want to put a constellation in orbit, to make sure I have a connection, but as I said, I don't have the cash. I can't really blame this on Remote Tech though.... it is probably more related to RSS/RO.

So anyway... I'm still working on this. I will not be beaten!

My first network is always a series of 6 relays in LKO that cover the equator and always have a reliable connection to the KSC for other sats to piggyback from. Oh boy is that fun to set up... :rolleyes:

I have a few strategies I use:

#1 - Put the (2) KEO sats up first with KR-7 for "active vessel" and DTS-M1 for downlink to KSC, and DTS-M1 for link to Mun and Minmus. This has the advantage that anything with a DTS-M1 has pretty good connectivity early on. These also have a Comm-16 on them for side-links.

#2 - Put up (6) LKO sats with Comm-16s at 267km orbit in a hexagon. This provides almost perfect coverage. Ideally 2-3 of those should have DTS-M1 links to the KEO sats (or a Comm-32).

#3 - Put up (4) MKO sats with Comm-16s at 776km orbit in a box around the equator. Two of them should have DTS-M1 links to the KEOs (or a Comm-32).

It tends to be a toss-up as to whether I do #1 first or #2 first or #3 first.

Once I get the Comm-32s and KR-14, I toss up another pair of KEOs about 30-40 degrees ahead/behind the existing KEOs (within 2Mm). They can use the Comm-32 to cross-link and also down-link to KSC. Eventually, my KEOs get pushed outward to 180 degrees apart at 2869km altitude.

I also do a lot of robotic lifters. The circularization stage has a probe core, battery, solar panels and a Comm-16. After lifting the payload into LKO, they detach and get used to fill in the 267km flock. Or if they are used to push payloads to Mun/Minmus, they get used there as fill-ins for a 250km orbit flock.

My science probes to Mun/Minmus (such as Mag-RPWS sats) have DTS-M1 links back to Kerbin plus a Comm-16. So they serve dual-purpose as comm links back to home, omni-directional linkages around the moon, and for gathering science (or ScanSAT). I don't bother any more with dedicated comm-sats for the moons / other planets.

For funding all this, I decline all contracts initially except those that ask for a simple satellite to be put around Kerbin with < 20 degrees of inclination and Ap < 5Mm. Those early sats cost about 25k to launch (less with StageRecovery) and the contracts pay out 50-60k around Kerbin.

Other options for funding are: GovFund and Strategies Improved mods.

Edited by WuphonsReach

So anyway... I'm still working on this. I will not be beaten!

That is the spirit!

If cash is a problem, try launching extremely cheap relay beacons around kerbin first to get signals around the planet. Relay beacons consist of only probe core, antenna, batteries and some solar panels. Design them small and compact, so that you can launch multiple at once, saving on launch cost.

Edit:

Single probecore, single comm16, 2 extendable solar panel (for reliable energy, if you want even cheaper, get the single solar panels), 4x 100EC batteries, one optional repair panel from Mission controller for repair contract.

ibHJyzZUt65Gh.png

Fully stackable for multiple deployment in 1 launch.

iSaPb07dfTh6U.png

(parts models from Ven's stock revamp)

Also, if you like, you can also get Mission Controller 2, which let you create your own satellite launch contracts, a long with a part that will gives you satellite repair contract, both of which will help cover the cost of your satellites.

Edited by RainDreamer

That is the spirit!

If cash is a problem, try launching extremely cheap relay beacons around kerbin first to get signals around the planet. Relay beacons consist of only probe core, antenna, batteries and some solar panels. Design them small and compact, so that you can launch multiple at once, saving on launch cost.

Also, if you like, you can also get Mission Controller 2, which let you create your own satellite launch contracts, a long with a part that will gives you satellite repair contract, both of which will help cover the cost of your satellites.

<selfplug>

Or get the RemoteTech Contract Pack that will pay you for creating the networks you need.

</selfplug>

;)

Peppie I'm using the latest available remote tech Dll (1.6.3 I assume) and I'm still encountering the freak patched conic exception that gets thrown when you quickload or swap active scene. It goes away by removing the remote tech plugin.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

PatchedConicRenderer.OnSceneSwitch (GameScenes scn)

EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)

HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)

FlightDriver.StartAndFocusVessel (.Game stateToLoad, Int32 vesselToFocusIdx)

QuickSaveLoad.quickLoad (System.String filename, System.String folder)

QuickSaveLoad.onHoldComplete ()

- - - Updated - - -

Peppie I'm using the latest available remote tech Dll (1.6.3 I assume) and I'm still encountering the freak patched conic exception that gets thrown when you quickload or swap active scene. It went away after I removed the remote tech dll (thanks to the way the config files are set up that is possible without nuking my current game). Here's a copy of the exception it throws when I tried to quickload.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

PatchedConicRenderer.OnSceneSwitch (GameScenes scn)

EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)

HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)

FlightDriver.StartAndFocusVessel (.Game stateToLoad, Int32 vesselToFocusIdx)

QuickSaveLoad.quickLoad (System.String filename, System.String folder)

QuickSaveLoad.onHoldComplete ()

I still haven't isolated the trigger of the exception

Peppie I'm using the latest available remote tech Dll (1.6.3 I assume) and I'm still encountering the freak patched conic exception that gets thrown when you quickload or swap active scene. It goes away by removing the remote tech plugin.

I still haven't isolated the trigger of the exception

Thanks, we'll look into it. (pm is send to you)

Here I am, well within line of sight to a ground station, at a mere 200,000 meters off the ground. My Communotron 16 is activated, I have a Reflectron, and yet somehow I don't have a signal to my spacecraft. This is supposed to be good almost to the Mun, but I can't communicate with a ground station I have a line of sight to, at 200,000 meters. And this isn't the first time this has happened to me.

Often this happens for me when I leave physics range (5-20km ?) of an object I'm connected to. Switching ships promptly re-establishes the connection

Context: I've recently taken up ADIOS, which is basically a giant tech tree where part are divided into family branches (antennas, wings, decouplers...).

One of the problem is that the first dish, the DTS-M1, came relatively late (100 science, so tier 2) because it is perfect for Mun and Minmus exploration even without a relay network set up.

But that got me thinking.

It makes sense in terms of progression to say that the DTS-M1 comes relatively too early in stock tech tree, as it covers both keosynchronous orbits and Minmus expeditions. Wouldn't it be relevant to have a low-tech dish at ~10-20Mm, that is perfectly for an early-game orbital relay but not enough to go to Mun or further (at least not directly linked from KSC) ?

Also I didn't try landing a rover on another planet with RT and FAR active yet but I'm quite curious to discover how to solve delays and antennas snapping in atmosphere.

I remember having a hard time figuring out how to protect an antenna during unmanned takeoffs as the DP-10 kept snapping in atmospheric flight (because of FAR ? Dearly Reentry ?another mod ? an old bug ?) -- so far I solved it with KW's fairings but I don't know if they are solutions that don't require other mods.

my first network is always a series of 6 relays in LKO that cover the equator and always have a reliable connection to the KSC for other sats to piggyback from. Oh boy is that fun to set up... :rolleyes:

For the challenge of it, after I had set up my geosynchronous comsat network, I started building my LKO comsat network similar to the iridium network. The idea was that any vehicle anywhere on the ground of Kerbin could stay in contact with KSC with ONLY the smallest omni (the 500 km one).

Building the smallest type of comsat I could, having only the 500 km range omni (the launch antenna), the smallest probe core, and RCS for propulsion (with nearly 1000 dV each!), I launched fifty of them in packages of ten per launch.

Having ten satellites in a perfect polar orbit with a semi-major axis of roughly 709 km (ap/pe=109 km), they could all stay at exactly 490 km of each other, and reach all around the planet forming a ring. Once that had been done, I put another ten up with a relative inclination of 180/5 degrees from the previous group until I had five rings with ten sats each, covering every spot on the ground.

The launch vehicle used was what I call the Deltakerb II, with a baseline cost of roughly √17,000 per launch, excluding the satellites.

At this point, I would love to do this. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to launch a satellite network.

My LKO networks is as cheap as I can make it, often ~6 part satellites: a probe core, a battery, 2 solar panels and 2 antennas. I'm also using KCT, so if I build my rockets properly, I can get around 60-70% of my launch costs back (and make the next one a bit quicker to build). Of course, this all depends on where your sliders are at and also what other mods you're using. :wink: Something like Tantares is insanely useful because you can get an orbital engine with built-in RCS.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

I remember having a hard time figuring out how to protect an antenna during unmanned takeoffs as the DP-10 kept snapping in atmospheric flight (because of FAR ? Dearly Reentry ?another mod ? an old bug ?) -- so far I solved it with KW's fairings but I don't know if they are solutions that don't require other mods.

The only time that I have a DP-10 snap off is if it's not aligned vertically along the side of the rocket (I use FAR). Or putting it on a sloped part that is "in the wind". Sometimes it helps to put the DP-10 farther down the body of the probe, away from the tip.

Note: I also use KJR.

Note #2: I use StageRecovery mod to recover about 1/2 of my launch costs and recycle the boosters through KCT (to speed up the next build).

Is this the place to discuss game play issues?

I'm trying to put a Karbonite scanning satellite into polar orbit around the Mun. I've got 3 comsats in equatorial geosynchronous orbit around Kerbin and 3 comsats in a polar semi-synchronous orbit around the Mun (more sunlight this way = less batteries and/or reactors). The Mun comsats have 4 antennas, one for each Kerbin comsat, and one for the active vessel. I have no problem getting the Munar comsats into orbit around the Mun. However, when my Karbonite satellite gets into the Munar SOI and connects with the Munar comsats, I don't have control. The Munar comsats are not relaying the command signal from KSC. The Karbonite sat has a Communitron 32 on it, so the Munar comsats are well in range.

Karbonite sat with LOS of all 3 Munar comsats, yet no control

screenshot0_zpszfalwyq1.png

Munar comsat 3 with a direct link to all 3 Kerbin comsats & the Karbonite scanner and no still no control.

screenshot2_zpswa7flbhi.png

What am I missing?

Is this the place to discuss game play issues?

I'm trying to put a Karbonite scanning satellite into polar orbit around the Mun. I've got 3 comsats in equatorial geosynchronous orbit around Kerbin and 3 comsats in a polar semi-synchronous orbit around the Mun (more sunlight this way = less batteries and/or reactors). The Mun comsats have 4 antennas, one for each Kerbin comsat, and one for the active vessel. I have no problem getting the Munar comsats into orbit around the Mun. However, when my Karbonite satellite gets into the Munar SOI and connects with the Munar comsats, I don't have control. The Munar comsats are not relaying the command signal from KSC. The Karbonite sat has a Communitron 32 on it, so the Munar comsats are well in range.

Karbonite sat with LOS of all 3 Munar comsats, yet no control

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/Jason310019/screenshot0_zpszfalwyq1.png

Munar comsat 3 with a direct link to all 3 Kerbin comsats & the Karbonite scanner and no still no control.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/Jason310019/screenshot2_zpswa7flbhi.png

What am I missing?

Hi,

what are the targets of your keo sats ? Maybe one of the antenna on each are targeting to the active vessel? If so, try to set the target to the mun.

what are the targets of your keo sats ? Maybe one of the antenna on each are targeting to the active vessel? If so, try to set the target to the mun.

Yep, there are probably no antennas pointing from KEO -> Mun as well as none pointing from Mun -> KEO.

On the KEO sats, you need a mimimum of (3) DTS-M1 to get full coverage:

- One for "Active Vessel"

- One for "Mun"

- One for "Minmus"

You also need a 4th DTS-M1 (or a Comm-32) to downlink to KSC.

On the Mun/Minmus sats, you can get away with just (1) DTS-M1, but I usually fly with (2) for symmetry purposes. The Mun/Minmus sats should point back to "Kerbin". The second DTS-M1 can be left idle, or set to "Active Vessel" or pointed at the other moon. I put a Comm-16 on them and orbit at 800-1000km, 120 degree spacing.

Hi,

I tried targeting the Mun with one of the geo comsats, that didn't work. I was able to get it to work by targeting the Mun comsat directly.

Yep, there are probably no antennas pointing from KEO -> Mun as well as none pointing from Mun -> KEO.

On the KEO sats, you need a mimimum of (3) DTS-M1 to get full coverage:

- One for "Active Vessel"

- One for "Mun"

- One for "Minmus"

You also need a 4th DTS-M1 (or a Comm-32) to downlink to KSC.

On the Mun/Minmus sats, you can get away with just (1) DTS-M1, but I usually fly with (2) for symmetry purposes. The Mun/Minmus sats should point back to "Kerbin". The second DTS-M1 can be left idle, or set to "Active Vessel" or pointed at the other moon. I put a Comm-16 on them and orbit at 800-1000km, 120 degree spacing.

So really, the geo sats are going to need upwards of 5 to 6 dishes each to cover Kerbin orbit + the moons. Then I'll need more satellites to relay commands to deep space missions. Thanks for the tips guys.

So really, the geo sats are going to need upwards of 5 to 6 dishes each to cover Kerbin orbit + the moons. Then I'll need more satellites to relay commands to deep space missions. Thanks for the tips guys.

Depends on your tech level. If you have the Comm-32 available, then to cover Kerbin + Mun/Minmus you need:

- Comm-32 (to cross-link and link back to KSC)

- DTS-M1 or KR-7 to point at "active vessel"

- DTS-M1 for Mun

- DTS-M1 for Minmus

Any probes within the Kerbin system should carry (1-3) DTS-M1, pointed at KEO-A and KEO-B and KEO-C (one KEO is enough, two is very good, three can be useful in some rare cases).

For any mission to the inner planets, my KEO sat configuration is:

- Comm-32 to cross-link to other KEO sats and down-link to KSC

- KR-14 for "active vessel"

- KR-14 for Dres

- (5) Comm 88-88s for Duna, Ike, Eve, Gilly, Moho

- (2) DTS-M1 for Mun and Minmus

By the time I get KR-14s, I'll have enough sats in KEO above KSC (+/- 60 degrees) that I can put the (2) KR-14 KEO sats almost 180 degrees apart, giving near perfect coverage.

Any probes going to the inner planets carry:

- (1) KR-14 to link back to KEO-A (really only Dres needs the KR-14)

- (1) Comm-88 to link back to KEO-B (later changed to point at Kerbin)

- 1-2 extra Comm-88 for possible cross-links between other planets

- (3) DTS-M1 for possible cross-links

- Comm-32 for cross-links

I generally send (3) probes to each planet and moon using that configuration during the first 2 game years. That gives me a basic network for the relaying of commands.

One thing to remember - in order for a link to form, the source satellite has to be pointed at a target satellite - and there needs to be a return path - so the target sat needs to be pointing a directional back at the source satellite (or the planet/moon around which the source sat is orbiting).

All, I am having a small issue with tracking station icons in map view. i have kerbinSide installed, and have all the tracking stations. They all seem to be working great. just the issue with the red dots in map view...ALL the station icons are ALWAYS viewable, even when they re on the backside of Kerbin...As if Kerbin was transparent...Is there any way to fix this?...I have enough stuff cluttering up my map view, and this also makes it very difficult to see which stations I actually have LOS to...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but doing a search here and on google netted me nothing....

All, I am having a small issue with tracking station icons in map view. i have kerbinSide installed, and have all the tracking stations. They all seem to be working great. just the issue with the red dots in map view...ALL the station icons are ALWAYS viewable, even when they re on the backside of Kerbin...As if Kerbin was transparent...Is there any way to fix this?...I have enough stuff cluttering up my map view, and this also makes it very difficult to see which stations I actually have LOS to...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but doing a search here and on google netted me nothing....

Check your RemoteTech_Settings.cfg in GameData/RemoteTech. There should be a line like "HideGroundStationsBehindBody = False". Change the False to True.

I'm actually pretty sure it defaults to True, so you might just not have the latest version; this feature was added fairly recently.

Just updated RT2 to work with Action groups extended. Im trying to set a manual delay to close and then re-open a coms 32 after it enters dunas atmosphere and then lands via parachute. Now when I load up KSP the loading screen gets stuck at RTgigadish1 when loading. Is this an issue with ATM, or a known issue maybe?

I've got a huge bug with either RT or Mission Controller. I'm doing a 'point comsat at inner planets' contract, everything is working fine, timer for the shakeout test is running, but everytime I now hover over the active contracts while controlling a ship (both in map mode and normal) KSP freezes. Doesn't matter if it's the sattelite launched for the contract or something else. For now I just completed the contract through the debug menu as I don't want to risk a crash every time I go near the contract thingie...

I can send the debug if you want, seems some NaN kills the game: [LOG 14:16:14.518] dT is NaN! tA: 3.36210007965565, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

ColourOfFire said:
I've got a huge bug with either RT or Mission Controller. I'm doing a 'point comsat at inner planets' contract, everything is working fine, timer for the shakeout test is running, but everytime I now hover over the active contracts while controlling a ship (both in map mode and normal) KSP freezes. Doesn't matter if it's the sattelite launched for the contract or something else. For now I just completed the contract through the debug menu as I don't want to risk a crash every time I go near the contract thingie...

I can send the debug if you want, seems some NaN kills the game: [LOG 14:16:14.518] dT is NaN! tA: 3.36210007965565, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

Thats a ksp log entry. But yea, please upload your ksp.log, right after this error, to any space like dropbox that i can take a look. What Version of ksp and RT do you use?

willkurr said:
Where is the version for .25, i can't find it anywhere!

[Moderator removed defunct website link]

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

So I have a satellite in orbit. It has Communotron 16's, activated, is in clear LOS to a ground station, and yet I cannot control it. The batteries are dead, but it has solar panels fully exposed to the sun. So not only can I not control it, but the batteries won't even charge. Is this a "feature" of this mod?