[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I have two satellites, both equipped with lots of communicatron 16s...

1.838million meters [apart]. The planet is not in the way. Both are well powered. Both have their communicatrons activated. The map view still draws no line between them. I don't get why.

Is there a rule I'm missing somewhere?

Do they both have a signal processor? Signal processors are needed both to remotely control a vessel and relay signals to other vessels.

the stock probe cores all work as signal processors, the stock pods however do not.

If both your satellites have a probe core, maybe it could be helpful with some screenshots of both the satellites and the map view.

Oh, and by the way, the communotron-16 is an omnidirectional antenna, so it will be in contact with any other satellite(s) within it's and their range. You only need one.

Do they both have a signal processor? Signal processors are needed both to remotely control a vessel and relay signals to other vessels.

the stock probe cores all work as signal processors, the stock pods however do not.

They both have the probodyne octagon-shaped core (the next core up the tech tree higher than the stayputnik).

If both your satellites have a probe core, maybe it could be helpful with some screenshots of both the satellites and the map view.

I'll post them when I get a chance to get back to the game later tonight.

Oh, and by the way, the communotron-16 is an omnidirectional antenna, so it will be in contact with any other satellite(s) within it's and their range.

Or so it says. That's why I'm confused that it's not acting that way.

--- edit ---

Okay, so here's the screenshots

The map view - the two satellites have no line between them and I've verified that they cannot relay any contact to mission control through each other. Switching to map view and returning does not change the situation:

4RqCFTs.png

This is KerbComOne.A, one of the two satellites. The kOS window is open to show the distance between this vessel and KerbComOne.B is under 2.5Mil meters.

BwGmAHz.png

This is KerbComOne.B, the other satellite:

Z2mixYi.png

As far as I can tell, with everything I've done they should be connected. It's entirely possible I missed something in the instructions but if I did I have no idea what it is.

Edited by Steven Mading
added the screenshots

Well now I feel stupid. Apparently I had that little icon clicked that hides some of the paths on the screen.

Those RT buttons on the map view could seriously use some mouseover hover tooltips. As it is they're indecipherable glyphs, and I don't know what any of the mean except by random trial and error.

I have a probe en-route to Duna and am experiencing uncontrolled spinning when using the flight computer to hold attitude (time delay is 4-5 seconds right now). Any mode I try results in random spinning nearly as bad as having SAS on at that range. For reference, the probe has one OKTO2 probe core on it, and I have RemoteTech and kOS installed (but there is no kOS module on this probe). I just checked, and the probe core is not the root part, so I'm wondering if this could possibly be a manifestation of the non-root-part-control bug?

I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in the Realism Overhaul thread but I'm having a problem with the KSC location after installing the RO mod with RemoteTech. I installed both using CKAN and I installed the RemoteTech->RealismOverhaul config file (removing my original settings file first). I'm getting the extra ground stations, but the red dot indicating the KSC (or whatever you call the equivalent in RO) is in the wrong place.

When I put an unmanned probe on the launchpad, I get the red "no connection" from the start. Am I missing a package or do I need to edit the config to relocate the red dot?

FT7pKD0.jpg

...Those RT buttons on the map view could seriously use some mouseover hover tooltips...

That's an excellent idea. You can suggest that over on the RemoteTech github.

I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in the Realism Overhaul thread but I'm having a problem with the KSC location after installing the RO mod with RemoteTech. I installed both using CKAN and I installed the RemoteTech->RealismOverhaul config file (removing my original settings file first). I'm getting the extra ground stations, but the red dot indicating the KSC (or whatever you call the equivalent in RO) is in the wrong place...

RO should add a whole bunch of ground stations. From looking at the config available at the RO github it looks like they are using an old format. The config must be wrapped in a RemoteTechSettings node. It looks like this might be the problem. Wrapped correctly, the settings file should look like this.

RO should add a whole bunch of ground stations. From looking at the config available at the RO github it looks like they are using an old format. The config must be wrapped in a RemoteTechSettings node. It looks like this might be the problem. Wrapped correctly, the settings file should look like this.

JDP, I updated my config with the one you pointed me to and now every station has a red dot and establishes connections. Thanks!

Hi. I noticed that RemoteTech2 did not take into account probes from other mods. The probes are patched in RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg which contains the same patch copy-pasted for each of the squad probes. I have written a short patch to add RemoteTech2 capability for any new probe (initially intended for CactEye's Smobodobodyne SLIM probe):

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
TechRequired = unmannedTech
OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

If RemoteTech2 was to use the previous snippet, the selector would actually only need:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]]]

Basically, it simply selects parts whose command module does not require any crew, hence probes. Anyone is free to use, modify and redistribute the previous code as they see fit (just in case).

Note: there is one difference for the large stock probe (probeStackLarge) that has "IsRTCommandStation = true"; I guess you need this probe in particular to set up a command control with your six crews; so that should still be added somewhere

Note: there is a file for Mechjeb (RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg) with the following code:

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
title = MechJeb 2 (AR202 case) (ModuleSPU)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
}

This means that this part does not have an included antenna. If this is intended, there should be a special case for this part. Otherwise, this is covered by the previous code.

Hey, I am so not used to doing this, can you show me how it would look, if I am to add RemoteTech to the Cathcheye SLIM Probe :/

And the thing with 6 kerbal makes a command station and Mechjeb, is that included now in your latest update, or do I have to do that manually ? :)

Okay, first of all, wonderful mod.

Second of all, I have a question. So I have 3 Comsats in orbit with sufficient antennas, power, everything. I launch a probe, and even though it is within sight of the Comsats, who are set to Mission Control and Active Vessel, the probe refuses to work because of a "lack of connection". I go to the Comsats and then I set it to target the probe specifically, and it still refuses to work. Why is this?

Okay, first of all, wonderful mod.

Second of all, I have a question. So I have 3 Comsats in orbit with sufficient antennas, power, everything. I launch a probe, and even though it is within sight of the Comsats, who are set to Mission Control and Active Vessel, the probe refuses to work because of a "lack of connection". I go to the Comsats and then I set it to target the probe specifically, and it still refuses to work. Why is this?

Dishes only work if _BOTH_ ends are pointing towards each other. If your probe wasnt pointing towards the comsats before you disconnected it then it cant receive commands. Its best to always have omni directional antennas on probes for this reason. Then you can at least put a crewed ship in range of it (also with an omni) and as long as the other ship has connection your probe will too and you can retarget its dish.

Is there some plain to make a Remote Control Module? A module that you can put kerbals inside and control a probe closer to than, to avoid signal delay or packet loss?

(sorry for my english)

Already exists. It currently requires six kerbals I believe but can be modified in the configs.

Where is the part or the config? I can't find anything like that =P

In addition to crew space for six kerbals, your control station needs a probe core that's configured to do it. With out-of-the-box RT, the only probe core that supports remote control is the RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit (2.5m stack core). If you want to configure another probe core for remote control or change the required number of kerbals, look at how the RC-L01 (internally "probeStackLarge") is configured in Squad_Probes.cfg.

In addition to crew space for six kerbals, your control station needs a probe core that's configured to do it. With out-of-the-box RT, the only probe core that supports remote control is the RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit (2.5m stack core). If you want to configure another probe core for remote control or change the required number of kerbals, look at how the RC-L01 (internally "probeStackLarge") is configured in Squad_Probes.cfg.

So I am having a problem with the display in map view, basically none of my satellites omni connections are being drawn. I have a three sat coms network set up and all of the dish connecctions are being drawn in the map view, but only one satellite has it's omni connections being shown, I also noticed while I was launching the network that some times it just wouldn't show the connections for freshly launched satellites when I would switch vessels from the map view.

I'll get some screen shots later as I am currently at work :P

Edit: A little more information

The comms network is in a Keostationary orbit.

I am using the Root range model, with the range multiplier set to 0.6 and the multi antenna multiplier is set to 0.7

each sat has four largish omni antennas I will have to look at what their range is later (they are AIES antennas and I set the RT ranges for them up myself so I will have to look at what values I set for them)

Each sat has four dishes two that target the other two sats in the network and one currently set to active vessel (this will be changing soon as it was needed for a contract) the fourth dish is unused currently.

I am using the additional ground stations provided by KerbinSide

I used this same network in my last game (0.24.2) and had omni contact with the ground on all the sats. But in this game only one sat is showing any omni connections the others do not, not even to the mapping sat I have in a polar LKO, which also isn't showing omni connection to any ground stations when it passes over them.

I am using 0.90 x86 on Windows 7

RT version 1.6.3

Any input on this problem?

Edited by Akira_R

So I am having a problem with the display in map view, basically none of my satellites omni connections are being drawn. I have a three sat coms network set up and all of the dish connecctions are being drawn in the map view, but only one satellite has it's omni connections being shown, I also noticed while I was launching the network that some times it just wouldn't show the connections for freshly launched satellites when I would switch vessels from the map view.

I'll get some screen shots later as I am currently at work :P

Edit: A little more information

The comms network is in a Keostationary orbit.

I am using the Root range model, with the range multiplier set to 0.6 and the multi antenna multiplier is set to 0.7

each sat has four largish omni antennas I will have to look at what their range is later (they are AIES antennas and I set the RT ranges for them up myself so I will have to look at what values I set for them)

Each sat has four dishes two that target the other two sats in the network and one currently set to active vessel (this will be changing soon as it was needed for a contract) the fourth dish is unused currently.

I am using the additional ground stations provided by KerbinSide

I used this same network in my last game (0.24.2) and had omni contact with the ground on all the sats. But in this game only one sat is showing any omni connections the others do not, not even to the mapping sat I have in a polar LKO, which also isn't showing omni connection to any ground stations when it passes over them.

I am using 0.90 x86 on Windows 7

RT version 1.6.3

Any input on this problem?

Is it just that the connections are not being shown in the map or are you not able to control those satelites? If it's just that they are not being shown are you sure you have omni connections set to show via the little icons?

Is it just that the connections are not being shown in the map or are you not able to control those satelites? If it's just that they are not being shown are you sure you have omni connections set to show via the little icons?

Pretty sure it's just connections aren't being shown in the map, and yes I have cycled through the icons to see if it will reset or something, I will check to make sure my mapping sat is still connected when I get home.

I was also having issues with connections not being drawn before when I was launching the network, I would launch a com sat get it all set up, go to map view and switch to the booster used to get it up into keo to boost it out to a graveyard orbit and when I switched in map view it wouldn't show any of the connections for the new sat, I would then switch back to the com sat to check and it would show all it's connections again, including omnis.

In the current version of RT, if a satellite pair is connected by both omnidirectional antennas *and* directional antennas at the same time, the link only shows up if "directional" is turned in the lower-right button filtering thingy. (Speaking of the graphical line visible in map view.)

Another small gotcha is in the case where you have (2) satellites connected by a separator collar, when you "stage" and separate, only the active satellite will get links. Even if both satellites had their antennas deployed prior to separation. After separating, you must switch focus to the other satellite for 5-10 seconds until the calculator icon goes from red to green. Once that happens, the satellite will function as normal.

Edited by WuphonsReach

In the current version of RT, if a satellite pair is connected by both omnidirectional antennas *and* directional antennas at the same time, the link only shows up if "directional" is turned in the lower-right button filtering thingy. (Speaking of the graphical line visible in map view.)

Another small gotcha is in the case where you have (2) satellites connected by a separator collar, when you "stage" and separate, only the active satellite will get links. Even if both satellites had their antennas deployed prior to separation. After separating, you must switch focus to the other satellite for 5-10 seconds until the calculator icon goes from red to green. Once that happens, the satellite will function as normal.

Ah that second part explains why things weren't showing up when launching the com sat network. The first part may explain the issue I am seeing, I will have to check it more when I get home.

Will it hide multiple redundant links to ground stations? I have multiple ground stations in my game and it used to always show the links to them but only one would be the "active" green link, sometimes this link would bounce through another satellite even though there is a direct link to a ground station. In the new version will these other ground station links be hidden? Because that would definitely explain what I am seeing.

Also if you're like me, building from the top down (the top being the smallest probe, typically a lander with just a small omni), then the middle being the orbiter relay with a long range dish back to kerbin, I have to re-target connections, as after separation my giant kerbin relay in high polar orbit is then trying to communicate with the lander, not the orbital relay. The relay gets re-labeled automatically as a probe, rather than the other way around.

That cost me a duna mission when I first started, before I figured out what it was doing each time.

Speaking about "command stations" feature... It seems bugged.

I have a station with 7 crew, stock 2.5m probe core and active omni antenna. In the same orbit 22 km away there is a probe with active omni antenna. Neither station nor probe is connected to KSC, but apparently probe IS connected to station (omni-omni). Station is "Local control"led and should work as "command station", right? But it does not. "No connection" is displayed on probe whatever I tried...

Update:

It seems that problem is with omni-omni connection... When I HyperEdited randezvous distance to be less then 3 km - probe inbuilt antenna kicked in and provided a green command link with zero lag (to the station I suppose, as it was still out of KSC link zone). When I tried to fly probe away - link disappeared out of 3 km zone.

Update 2:

Rebuilt probe with dish antenna, pointed station's dish to it and vice versa. Still the same sh*t - connection disappears out of 3 km radius... AND also probe's dish target becomes "unknown target" instead of station.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Hi,

this mod doesnt work.

i tried all pods but still have that red icon on the upper left.

but im able to command it like the mod is not installed.

installed mods:

- KerbalEngineer

- KWRocketry

- NASAmission

- RemoteTech

- KerbalAlarmClock

what can i do to get this mod running?