[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hello!

Can someone tell me what kind of antenna mission control has? Some old guides on the internet suggest that it has a 75Mm omnidirectional Antenna but I don't think that's true based on my own observations. I have seen targets that have nothing but a dish connect to mission control already. I assumed it has the best antenna available to me and send out a probe just outside the Kerbin system to collect science and got no uplink despite having line of sight on the Probe. The probe has 83Mm away from Kerbin and carried a 90Mm dish that was pointed as Kerbin. In a test, I placed a small probe carrying the same 90Mm dish on the launch pad, pointed it at the probe and suddenly got my uplink. This makes me believe that Mission Control does have a dish but with less than 80Mm range.

Can someone tell me what is going on? I can provide screen shots from my R&D building if that's helpful.

Hello!

Can someone tell me what kind of antenna mission control has? Some old guides on the internet suggest that it has a 75Mm omnidirectional Antenna but I don't think that's true based on my own observations. I have seen targets that have nothing but a dish connect to mission control already. I assumed it has the best antenna available to me and send out a probe just outside the Kerbin system to collect science and got no uplink despite having line of sight on the Probe. The probe has 83Mm away from Kerbin and carried a 90Mm dish that was pointed as Kerbin. In a test, I placed a small probe carrying the same 90Mm dish on the launch pad, pointed it at the probe and suddenly got my uplink. This makes me believe that Mission Control does have a dish but with less than 80Mm range.

Can someone tell me what is going on? I can provide screen shots from my R&D building if that's helpful.

if you point the antenna at kerbin and your cone angle is not wide enough to cover the entire planet it could be that the mission controll is outside the reach of your probe. try pointing the antenna to mission control.

btw remote tech manual confirms the 75Mm omni antenna for KSC, so you have to check also that the distance is lower than that

If none of this helps, I don't know what it could be... maybe you are using a probe core which is not compatible with RemoteTech? third party probecores are not always working with RT

Edited by Sigma88

Wait, I do not understand.

All that you wrote seems to support the 75Mm omni antenna at KSC.

edit: Omni antennas can communicate with dishes, in case you did not know.

Wait, I do not understand.

All that you wrote seems to support the 75Mm omni antenna at KSC.

edit: Omni antennas can communicate with dishes, in case you did not know.

yeah, that's what I said. it should have a 75Mm omni antenna. the problem is that the command center is not in the center of the planet, so if you point a directional antenna to the center of the planet and you have a cone angle too small the KSC can fall outside that cone, so the probe won't connect

RTCONE.PNG

Edited by Sigma88

At first, I'm sorry that you have to poke around in the dark because I didn't provide any screen shots. I will remedy that now

if you point the antenna at kerbin and your cone angle is not wide enough to cover the entire planet it could be that the mission controll is outside the reach of your probe. try pointing the antenna to mission control.

I'm using the "Reflectron KR-7" which has a ridiculous cone angle of 25°.

btw remote tech manual confirms the 75Mm omni antenna for KSC, so you have to check also that the distance is lower than that

I doubt that this is true. Like I said, I have observed dish-only probes connecting to Mission Control directly.

If none of this helps, I don't know what it could be... maybe you are using a probe core which is not compatible with RemoteTech? third party probecores are not always working with RT

The probe is using a stock probe core.

I have now created an imgur album with the relevant screen shots.

Thanks for taking on my case! :wink:

PS: It's hard to really measure it correctly with my setup because I only get data when the KSC is facing the probe, but I think you could assume that the KSC has a 75Mm omnidirectional and a 75Mm dish. I just remembered that I read somewhere that the KSC now has the best antenna available to you by default. Which honestly would make a ton of sense.

PSS: Maybe I have a wrong assumption. Can dishes and omnis talk to each other? I was always under the assumption that only dish-dish and omni-omni connections are possible.

PSSS: Okay, It seems omni-dish connections are indeed possible. That makes me conclude the manual is actually true and the KSC has a 75km omni installed. This is offically solved now. Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by Three_Pounds

At first, I'm sorry that you have to poke around in the dark because I didn't provide any screen shots. I will remedy that now

I'm using the "Reflectron KR-7" which has a ridiculous cone angle of 25°.

I doubt that this is true. Like I said, I have observed dish-only probes connecting to Mission Control directly.

The probe is using a stock probe core.

I have now created an imgur album with the relevant screen shots.

Thanks for taking on my case! :wink:

PS: It's hard to really measure it correctly with my setup because I only get data when the KSC is facing the probe, but I think you could assume that the KSC has a 75Mm omnidirectional and a 75Mm dish. I just remembered that I read somewhere that the KSC now has the best antenna available to you by default. Which honestly would make a ton of sense.

PSS: Maybe I have a wrong assumption. Can dishes and omnis talk to each other? I was always under the assumption that only dish-dish and omni-omni connections are possible.

I tried to look at the RT download but couldnt find the cfg file which adds the antenna to the mission control, it probably is the RemoteTech_config.cfg file which is created upon first launch of the mod. if you could upload that I can check it for you, or I can check mine as soon as I get my hands on my KSP pc.

could you make a little description for the photos? so I can help you better :D

I tried to look at the RT download but couldnt find the cfg file which adds the antenna to the mission control, it probably is the RemoteTech_config.cfg file which is created upon first launch of the mod. if you could upload that I can check it for you, or I can check mine as soon as I get my hands on my KSP pc.

could you make a little description for the photos? so I can help you better :D

This is already solved. But you're absolutely correct. In the RemoteTech_settings.cfg there is a module added to the KSC that makes it have a 75Mm omni. Thanks again for helping! :)

http://pastebin.com/jPmvNdwq

Again, this confusion stems from the fact that I didn't know omni-dish connections are possible. This actually simplifies some of my probe designs.

This is already solved. But you're absolutely correct. In the RemoteTech_settings.cfg there is a module added to the KSC that makes it have a 75Mm omni. Thanks again for helping! :)

http://pastebin.com/jPmvNdwq

Again, this confusion stems from the fact that I didn't know omni-dish connections are possible. This actually simplifies some of my probe designs.

I would suggest you to make a geostationary communication network as a first thing before going interplanetary (or even before going to the mun or minmus)

the network doesn't have to be geostationary, but it looks cooler that way :D

I personally use a 5 satellite pentagon with communotron 32 which let them talk with each other and with KSC, I suggest you make the satellites modular so you can always add more antennas if you need more of them

I would suggest you to make a geostationary communication network as a first thing before going interplanetary (or even before going to the mun or minmus)

the network doesn't have to be geostationary, but it looks cooler that way :D

I personally use a 5 satellite pentagon with communotron 32 which let them talk with each other and with KSC, I suggest you make the satellites modular so you can always add more antennas if you need more of them

Actually, I just wanted to grab some quick science from high solar orbit. The first mission failed because I didn't put my strongest dish on it because there is no real way of telling how big Kerbins SOI is without external sources. I already marked the second mission as a success because I remembered to put a 90Mm dish on the probe but couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that all those giant dishes at the tracking station seem to be nothing but window dressing. :D

Actually, I just wanted to grab some quick science from high solar orbit. The first mission failed because I didn't put my strongest dish on it because there is no real way of telling how big Kerbins SOI is without external sources. I already marked the second mission as a success because I remembered to put a 90Mm dish on the probe but couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that all those giant dishes at the tracking station seem to be nothing but window dressing. :D

that's why I suggested the comms network, it's something relative simple to do, gives you familiarity with antennas, docking and orbital manouvres, and if something goes wrong you can always send jeb up there to manually set the antennas to the right target.

It also allows you to go anywhere and don't care about waiting to be in line of sight with the KSC

But of course the best way to go is the one which is fun for you, so have fun :D

Edited by Sigma88

that's why I suggested the comms network, it's something relative simple to do, gives you familiarity with antennas, docking and orbital manouvres, and if something goes wrong you can always send jeb up there to manually set the antennas to the right target.

It also allows you to go anywhere and don't care about waiting to be in line of sight with the KSC

Actually, a single ComSat in a fairly high polar orbit will basically guarantee a steady uplink, too. There will be a portion of the year when it sometimes hides behind Kerbin, but this will only occur for a few weeks and only for a few minutes each time. A second satellite in the same orbit but with different equatorial AN/DN will completely negate that, if you really want 100% uplink. This of course requires a small omni-network around Kerbin - which everyone should have before going interplanetary anways.

Edited by Three_Pounds

Actually, a single ComSat in a fairly high polar orbit will basically guarantee a steady uplink, too. There will be a year when it sometimes hides behind Kerbin, but this will only occur for a few weeks and only for a few minutes every time. A second satellite in the same orbit but with different equatorial AN/DN will completely negate that, if you really want 100% uplink. This of course requires a small omni-network around Kerbin - which everyone should have before going interplanetary anways.

yeah, I use polar orbits for the hubs around the other planets, but I use geostationary around kerbin because I think it looks cooler :D

but I don't play with money, so I don't care about expenses ;)

yeah, I use polar orbits for the hubs around the other planets, but I use geostationary around kerbin because I think it looks cooler :D

but I don't play with money, so I don't care about expenses ;)

I study engineering so all I care about is function. :D

Is the KSC 75Mm range limit somehow explained? So, the on-land VAB sized dish is several times less powerful than a folding kerbal-sized dish?... weeeeeird...

No clue. It makes little sense to me.

Also, is there a way to force remote tech to do less checks? I think it's slowing down my install quite a bit. I wouldn't mind it only running at 1/10th of the speed.

Is the KSC 75Mm range limit somehow explained? So, the on-land VAB sized dish is several times less powerful than a folding kerbal-sized dish?... weeeeeird...

gameplay wise I guess that the aim is to make you use satellites more than the KSC

if you want lore, I don't think there is one. much like putting 2 antennas on opposite sides of the same satellite and "pointing" them in the same direction works even tho it shouldn't

gameplay wise I guess that the aim is to make you use satellites more than the KSC

if you want lore, I don't think there is one. much like putting 2 antennas on opposite sides of the same satellite and "pointing" them in the same direction works even tho it shouldn't

I don't really care of any lore :)

Imho, it's just a bit silly to make this limitation. I'm making sat relays if I need stable coverage, but I do not need this limitation for some deep space sats.

If someone comes with an idea if atmosphere interference than limits the range, then why it doesn't apply to, say, Laythe?...

So, is there any way to remove this range limit for KSC? I tried to change this value manually. but it doesn't seem to apply.

EDIT:

Changed config value does not apply to already launched vehicles.

Edited by Horus
UPD:

I don't really care of any lore :)

Imho, it's just a bit silly to make this limitation. I'm making sat relays if I need stable coverage, but I do not need this limitation for some deep space sats.

If someone comes with an idea if atmosphere interference than limits the range, then why it doesn't apply to, say, Laythe?...

So, is there any way to remove this range limit for KSC? I tried to change this value manually. but it doesn't seem to apply.

EDIT:

Changed config value does not apply to already launched vehicles.

which config did you change?

the stats of KSC antenna is saved in the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file

STATION {

Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488

Name = Mission Control

Latitude = -0.131331503391266

Longitude = -74.594841003418

Height = 75

Body = 1

MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0,1

Antennas

{

ANTENNA

{

Omni = 7.5E+07

}

}

}

change the red line to whatever you want and it should be fine, launched vehicles have their own antenna which has it's own range.

So I just installed this lovely addon and had my fun with it, but I think I encountered a bug...

I don't think that this Probe should have a connection?

uuIlHQR.png

Nevermind; I just restarted the game, now it works as it should. I have no idea what caused this weird glitch.

Edited by snckrz

Using Rt.dll 1.7.X I previously was using the setting

RangeModelType = Root

On 1.6.3

Now when I went back into my settings post 1.7.X install it reads

RangeModelType = Additive

My question is are these setting equivalent? If not what do I need to set it to.

Thanks!

Is it possible to support Deadly Reentry? There seems to be no blackouts in reentries.

The hot ion covering the ship should affect the signal, maybe reducing its maximum reach, or maybe just block it completely.

Is it possible to support Deadly Reentry? There seems to be no blackouts in reentries.

The hot ion covering the ship should affect the signal, maybe reducing its maximum reach, or maybe just block it completely.

Hmmm... Good idea...However, seems like this would be more up to the DR devs to implement?...Maybe try posting this on the DR thread?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54954-0-90-Deadly-Reentry-v6-5-3-Beta-Mar-6-2015

Is there a way to only use the antennae as an aesthetic mod and not actually installing the RemoteTech plug-in? I have tried to install the RemoteTech folder without the plugin subfolder but the antennae don't work (Reflectron GX-128 doesn't open as well as all other extendable ones)

Is there a way to only use the antennae as an aesthetic mod and not actually installing the RemoteTech plug-in? I have tried to install the RemoteTech folder without the plugin subfolder but the antennae don't work (Reflectron GX-128 doesn't open as well as all other extendable ones)

Remote Technologies Group presents...

http://i.imgur.com/rrY4fl1.png

RemoteTech - Version 1.6.3

Summary

RemoteTech is a modification for Squad’s "Kerbal Space Program" (KSP) which overhauls the unmanned space program. It does this by requiring unmanned vessels have a connection to Kerbal Space Center (KSC) to be able to be controlled. This adds a new layer of difficulty that compensates for the lack of live crew members.

Instruction Manual

An extensive instruction manual is available at http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/ and includes a player guide, gameplay mechanics, detailed part summaries, and tutorials.

Download

The source code for RemoteTech is licensed under GPL version 2. The part models are not licensed to the general public and may not be redistributed without permission from their original creators.

WARNING: the 1.5 release changes the mod's folder and DLL names from "RemoteTech2" to "RemoteTech". If you are upgrading from 1.4, you must delete the old RemoteTech2 folder before installing this version. We take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any bugs that may happen from having both "RemoteTech" and "RemoteTech2" in your GameData folder.

Download from Kerbal Stuff, GitHub or via CKAN

Source-Code: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech

Pre-release builds - https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/releases

Important: The 'pre-releases' are debug builds of the current development tree. They are not guaranteed to be feature-complete or bug-free. They are intended for those that wish to test out the next version of RemoteTech before it goes on general release and are aware of the risks of doing so.

Suggested Mods

Players have found the following mods enhance their RemoteTech experience:

• KSP-AVC - keep RemoteTech (and other mods) up to date
  • Smart Parts - automated staging and action group execution. Can "program" by chaining parts using action groups.
  • Landertron Rockets - automated approach and touchdown.
  • Fine Print - get paid for putting up all those comsats
  • Mission Controller - customizable comsat contracts

RemoteTech is not yet compatible with either of the two full-featured autopilot mods, MechJeb and kOS. Mix at your own risk.

Optional configs

These are mods of the RemoteTech mod. While most of them can be placed anywhere in the GameData folder, you may wish to put them in a personal folder (e.g. GameData/MyScripts/) to avoid overwriting them. Since many of these files are contributed by the community, we provide no support for them:

• Descriptive antenna text -- if you get confused about which antennas fit which roles. Now with 100% less Kerbal humor.
  • RSS Ground Stations -- essential for playing with both RemoteTech and RSS. This file MUST go in GameData/RemoteTech, or it will not work.
  • Stock antenna configs -- for using RemoteTech antennas without the RemoteTech mod

What's new in version 1.6.3

Bug fixes

• We've fixed an old issue where unloading a vessel can cause a log spamming with KeyNotFoundException
  • We'll now log the current RemoteTech FileVersion to the ksp.log
  • Stations will now properly re-registered as a station after unloading
  • Stations will now properly registered as a station even if the first part is not the Remote Guidance Unit
  • Fix for loading a saved RemoteTech EventCommand like 'activate antenna'

For past release notes, please consult https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/wiki/Release-Notes

Bug Reports

To make a Bug Report, please use the Github issue tracker. You can browse the current list of issues to see if your problem has already been reported by somebody else at https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues.

Please follow the instructions at https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md when reporting your bug. Forum posts are difficult to track, and incomplete reports make it impossible for us to locate the source of the problem.

Credits

RT1 Contributors: JDP, The_Duck, gresrun, Tosh, rkman, NovaSilisko, r4m0n, Alchemist, Kreuzung, Spaceghost, Tomato, BoJaN, Mortaq.

RT2 Contributors: JDP, Cilph, TaranisElsu, acc, Vrana, MedievalNerd, NathanKell, jdmj, kommit.

RT2 v1.4.0 and beyond is maintained by the Remote Technologies Group, a community effort to ensure the proliferation of unmanned vessels throughout the known Kerbalverse: Erendrake, Pezmc, Starstrider42, Peppie23, woogoose. Additional contributions were made by Dail8859, Grays, Jsartisohn, MOARdV, and Reignerok. Thanks!

yes :D

Edited by Sigma88