[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I just wanted to point out that there may be more than just with and without antenna weights to consider... :)

From your experience, if a vessel has more than 1 antenna (of the same or different types) should the extra hardware be duplicated as well? (In addition to duplication for redundancy.)

There is a serious problem that when I tried to build a relay network around planets other than Kerbin (e.g. Duna, Mun or Minimus) , I found that the orbit period of a satelite wiggles, due to some small errors of the calculation of KSP.

Those small errors prevented me from knowing the exact period of the orbit, causing the relative position of the satelites unstable.

So when I took a trip to Duna, I found that my relay networks around Mun and Minimus have completely become a mess.

Is there any possible way to fix this problem?

There is a serious problem that when I tried to build a relay network around planets other than Kerbin (e.g. Duna, Mun or Minimus) , I found that the orbit period of a satelite wiggles, due to some small errors of the calculation of KSP.

Those small errors prevented me from knowing the exact period of the orbit, causing the relative position of the satelites unstable.

So when I took a trip to Duna, I found that my relay networks around Mun and Minimus have completely become a mess.

Is there any possible way to fix this problem?

I usually use kerbal engineer redux

to see the period of the orbits, once you tweak them to be all the same they should stay that way

If this doesnt work for you, idk what could be the cause

I get message "Throttling back time warp" when I try to timewarp. Screenshot

Is this a bug or just me being dumb? :P

That is a feature of RT. When you set the ship's computer to do some action (eg: execute a burn from a manouvre node) it will bring you out of time warp in order to execute the manouvre.

I don't know if in your case this is the cause or if you are experiencing a bug....

Licensing question, sorry if this is a dumb one (very new to this stuff.

I'm interested in trying to make a mod for wireless power transmission, with similar network setup to remote tech's. What's the licensing status of your source code? Would I be allowed to use some of it?

Question which has probably been answered, but I can't find the answer in the manual or by searching:

Is the maximum range of a link between an omni antenna and a dish longer than the bare omni range, due to some gain effect? If so, how does one calculate that?

I'm playing in RP-0 and my lander's Communotron-16 with a range of 4 Mm is successfully talking to a comsat's Comms DTS-M1 at a range of 4.5 Mm.

Question which has probably been answered, but I can't find the answer in the manual or by searching:

Is the maximum range of a link between an omni antenna and a dish longer than the bare omni range, due to some gain effect? If so, how does one calculate that?

I'm playing in RP-0 and my lander's Communotron-16 with a range of 4 Mm is successfully talking to a comsat's Comms DTS-M1 at a range of 4.5 Mm.

could you post some screens?

a link between those two antennas at 4.5 Mm should not be possible in RemoteTech unless you activated the "root range model"

are those the only antennas on the two vessels?

edit:

I think RP-0 may have switched you to root since it requires you to overwrite the remote tech settings file

Edited by Sigma88

i have only the parts but i cant set a taget there is no button or windown

Is it windows 8? They often run into trouble when the game is installed in the program files hierarchy where windows doesn't allow execution of 'foreign' dll files. Try moving KSP land (the entire folder) somewhere else like the desktop and see if it works correctly there?

Hey I have a suggestion for a new dish that would have a really wide cone angle and a short to medium range. I had the idea after seeing this: https://youtu.be/26QWMMT1c8Y?t=1m30s

I just thought it would be cool to add.

You mean the spinning dish? That wouldn't work as a communications antenna as it would miss parts of any transmission as it rotated.

A missing antenna type in RT is helical antenna which has wider beam width than the parabolic antennas. However the Reflectron DP-10 already has a wider beam width than typical helical antennas.

How do command stations work? What is the special part that is required and how many Kerbals are necessary? Also can I change the number of Kerbals required? I can't find any documentation anywhere.

It's the 1.25m probe core. It's kinda buried in the documentation. As for changing the number of Kerbals, open "RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg". Line 25, set the number of Kerbals in "%RTCommandMinCrew = 6" to whatever you want.

How do command stations work? What is the special part that is required and how many Kerbals are necessary? Also can I change the number of Kerbals required? I can't find any documentation anywhere.

They work by acting like the KSC when the part and sufficient kerbals are available. In base RT the part is the large probe core, RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit and 6 Kerbals.

The thing that allows this behaviour is the ModuleSPU part module. For instance the relevant bit of the module manager config for the above part is

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
%IsRTCommandStation = true
%RTCommandMinCrew = 6
}

This adds the module, allows it to act as a command station and requires 6 Kerbals. Add or modify that module on a part you want to change using Module Manager. If you don't know how to write configs for Module Manager please check out its thread for information.

Edited by futrtrubl

Hey all,

I am having problems establishing a connection with a Duna-bound probe. It has an activated KR-7 pointed towards Kerbin. Kerbin has a series of comms sats, all with multiple dishes and all with one KR-7 pointed towards the active vessel. I also have a medium range comms-sat with an 88-88 pointed towards the Duna probe. The new medium range sat is within the Kerbin cone of the Duna probe (as far as I can tell). I am using the Root Range model. I realize that my Duna probe has its dish pointed towards Kerbin and not towards a specific satellite, but if I understand correctly, it should link with any appropriately targeted dish within its cone. I can't figure out why I don't have a connection. I'd appreciate assistance.

Screenshots and log posted here: http://1drv.ms/1CMilkX

Thanks!

- ActiveTextureManagement-x86-Basic 4-3

- AlternateResourcePanel 2.6.3.0

- BetterBuoyancy v1.1

- Chatterer 0.8.1

- CommunityResourcePack 0.3.3

- ConnectedLivingSpace 1.1.1.0

- DeadlyReentry v6.4.0

- DistantObject v1.5.2

- DistantObject-default v1.5.2

- DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.1

- FinalFrontier 0.6.5-697

- FirespitterCore 7.0.5463.30802

- Fusebox 1.3

- GCMonitor 1.2.1.0-20

- InFlightWaypoints Deprecated

- KAS 0.4.10

- KerbalAlarmClock v3.2.3.0

- KerbalConstructionTime 1.1.2

- KerbalEngineerRedux 1.0.15.2

- KSP-AVC 1.1.5.0

- ModuleManager 2.5.10

- NEAR v1.3.1

- NebulaEVAHandrails 1.1

- NoMoreGrind 1.2

- NRAP autodetected dll

- PlanetShine 0.2.2.1

- PreciseNode 1.1.2

- ProceduralFairings v3.11

- RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.19

- RealChute 1.3

- Regolith 0.1.7

- RemoteTech v1.6.3

- SAVE 0.9.17-387

- SCANsat v10.0

- ScienceAlert 1.8.4

- Service-Compartments-6S 1.3

- StageRecovery 1.5.3

- StationScience 1.4

- TACLS v0.10.2b

- TACLS-Config-Stock v0.10.2b

- Toolbar 1.7.8

- Trajectories 1.1.3

- TransferWindowPlanner v1.2.3.0

- TriggerAu-Flags 2.6.3.0

- UniversalStorage 1.0.90.2

- USI-SRV 0.2.2

- USITools 0.3.2

I am having problems establishing a connection with a Duna-bound probe. It has an activated KR-7 pointed towards Kerbin. Kerbin has a series of comms sats, all with multiple dishes and all with one KR-7 pointed towards the active vessel. I also have a medium range comms-sat with an 88-88 pointed towards the Duna probe. The new medium range sat is within the Kerbin cone of the Duna probe (as far as I can tell). I am using the Root Range model. I realize that my Duna probe has its dish pointed towards Kerbin and not towards a specific satellite, but if I understand correctly, it should link with any appropriately targeted dish within its cone. I can't figure out why I don't have a connection. I'd appreciate assistance.

The maximum root range model distance for a KR-7 and 88-88 is just shy of 1,000,000 km (1 Gm). Is the probe still within 1 Gm of Kerbin??

Root range distance table for reference.

They work by acting like the KSC when the part and sufficient kerbals are available. In base RT the part is the large probe core, RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit and 6 Kerbals.

The thing that allows this behaviour is the ModuleSPU part module. For instance the relevant bit of the module manager config for the above part is

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
%IsRTCommandStation = true
%RTCommandMinCrew = 6
}

This adds the module, allows it to act as a command station and requires 6 Kerbals. Add or modify that module on a part you want to change using Module Manager. If you don't know how to write configs for Module Manager please check out it's thread for information.

Thanks very much, this was very useful.

The maximum root range model distance for a KR-7 and 88-88 is just shy of 1,000,000 km (1 Gm). Is the probe still within 1 Gm of Kerbin??

Root range distance table for reference.

Damn it, that would be it... I am 13M K away. Or 13Gm, I guess.

As I think of it, it would be nice if the wiki used consistent measurements. On the Root Range table, it uses M km. On the list of parts in the Player's guide, it uses km AND M km (in different places). In some of the tutorials (like the Interplanetary Networks one) it uses Gm. Still my fault, but can someone say Mars Climate Orbiter? Lol!

Thanks somnambulist.