Le Grande World Cup Discussion Thread!

BagelRabbit

Germany got a wake-up call served from Ghana. :P The German trainer called them "the best team in all of Africa" before the match, but apparently that didn't quite filter through to the players until they were on the field. Where they faced an opponent with incredible motivation and eagerness to play. Germany ended up trying to find their rhythm all game long and failed, missing many passes and only getting stray actions in front of Ghana's goal. Which were dangerous enough, but by far not numerous enough.

The game ended 2:2, but it could have easily gone in Ghana's favor. Meanwhile, the USA team celebrated!

...and subsequently also played only 2:2 versus Portugal, completely losing the advantage again.

The group remains interesting. Germany only needs a draw vs. USA to advance as group leader. In that case, USA would advance as group second. Should USA win, the order would be reversed. Should USA lose, however, then Ghana still has a chance of advancing instead, providing they can beat Portugal - it will come down to goal count.

Edited by Streetwind

Such an awesome place! They make robot arms, and they don't even tarnish their reputation (for me anyway) by playing in the world cup.

Oh they tried to qualify. They finished third in a pre-qualifying group behind Honduras and Panama.

In other news, my prediction is already out the window, as Italy have been eliminated after failing to beat Uruguay.

My money is still on a Germany win though, with a final against either Argentina or the Netherlands.

All I wish for is that Germany and USA don't negotiate a cease-fire and spend 90 minutes painting their nails because both will advance with a tie. I wanna see a real game! :P

Well the prize for the winners is avoiding Belgium in the next round.

Poor Brazil...

:P

There's being beathen, being destroyed, being decimated, and being annihilated. Then there's being "Germany Vs. Brazil'ed".

Edge of my seat that whole streak Germany had. It was kind of heart wrenching to see the Brazilians so upset, but their team was outclassed by the German's. I never thought the U.S. had a chance, but after seeing that match we did a heck of job considering the punishment the German's could dish out.

There was actually a lot of coverage in the weeks leading up to the world cup. At least, my local paper had something every 2-3 days at bare minimum, for nearly a month straight.

I don't blame the media for wanting to focus on the matches themselves right now - especially when they get to see games like last night. I mean, good grief. I didn't even cheer for my team, I just stared in disbelief.

I didn't even cheer for my team, I just stared in disbelief.

I know that feeling. The first two goals made me happy (and then worried for the second half and a more aggressive response by Brazil), but with every goal I grew more reluctant.

So it somehow felt like fighting an already beaten opponent, because I do not think that Brazil has a weak team or the German team is so much stronger. To me it seems the loss of their captain and the injury of their teammate weakened their spirit. Although they claimed to fight even harder, I think they were influenced by the constant pessimism in the public and the great pressure to win the cup in their home country. They may also have reacted the same way the German team did in former world cups when the opponent scored early.

For me it showed that matches are won in the head as much as on the field.

Still, very excited whom we will meet on sunday.

I'm brazilian, I refuse to acknowledge that tournament and I demand a fair rematch against german team: tying it's players' legs.

Lol, just kidding, congrats on the fourth cup, Germany!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.