1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

1 hour ago, TARDISES said:

The Holy Mackerel is no longer enough and I can't find its crit icon.

I was looking for it as well, no luck.

At any rate, rate few more fish kills. The mod updates when it gets updated, please leave it at that. :)

I quickly tried the stock U5 colliders with the long track. Nooooooope. Sideways jitterbug. We did the right thing developing something.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Quote removed.

Cross fingers, I'm literally about to fire up 1.2 with the new colliders. It will no doubt all go wrong and result in a huge anticlimax with much log searching...

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Quote removed.

3 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Was a simple config issue last night. Anyone know at what point KSP adds RigidBody to parts? @Shadowmage, I seem to remember you struggling with this?

Well, that was a disaster:

f51MPWxm.png

:D

They get added after all OnStart() and OnLoad() stuff has been called (if I remember right).  So the wheels have to be initialized basically on the first FixedUpdate of the flight scene if they need the Parts rigidbody.

My solution was to put lazy initialization on the WheelCollider stuff in the PartModules FixedUpdate function.  It checked to initialize every FixedUpdate until the Part had a Rigidbody at which point it did its setup stuff.  Not the most efficient thing, but was good enough for the testing I was doing.

There might be a GameEvent that you can subscribe that might do it.  LIke VesselUnpacked... it might fire at about the right time.  Or if there is some way to hook into the new physics-easing through events.

Thanks, I'll look into that later. It's hacky, but I went with waiting a few physics frames. 

Currently all works, but the wheels go absolutely crazy, so I'm trying to figure out why. Back to basics! 

Hey @lo-fi and @Shadowmage

None of us have really said this in a while. But what you guys do isn't appreciated enough! While more often than not, you get "when will it be ready" messages. When you should really hear, "Dude thank you for sticking around as long as you have and continue to plug away"

So regardless of what is to come, or when. Thank you for everything you both have done for all of us.

8 hours ago, V8jester said:

Hey @lo-fi and @Shadowmage

None of us have really said this in a while. But what you guys do isn't appreciated enough! While more often than not, you get "when will it be ready" messages. When you should really hear, "Dude thank you for sticking around as long as you have and continue to plug away"

So regardless of what is to come, or when. Thank you for everything you both have done for all of us.

I'm going to add to this.  Even if all this work doesn't result in a new wheel module, it's been a learning experience for everyone watching the thread, on wheels, and Unity physics, and a bunch of things.  Even if this was just experimental poking at KSP/Unity/PhysX and how they misbehave, it'd be worth it for anyone interested in either using the existing modules in odd ways, or building any type of module for physically interacting parts.

And, I'm still hanging out for tracks and wheels that drive nicely.  But the path to get there has been a brilliant journey (and I'm sure occasionally frustrating as hell journey) as well.

On 9/15/2016 at 0:49 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

There's also some element of proportional steering, as if the wheels know where they are, the center groups are moving a lot less than those at the ends when turning.

The proportional steering was there in 1.1.  Very noticeable on 6 wheeled craft.

Thank you - and I'm sure I speak for shadowmage too -  it is appreciated. If it weren't for all the brilliant, crazy people who have stuck with us over the years, we wouldn't be here doing what we do. It's certainly been an interesting journey, and I hope the knowledge, discussion and open forum will benefit other projects in the future, and not just for KSP. You'd be amazed how often I bump into my own posts when researching - it's cool, but rather frustrating. 

I'm currently stripping a model and the plug in right back to basics to work up from there, which will hopefully let me see what's going on. 

Stay tuned :)

On 17/09/2016 at 8:48 AM, Kenobi McCormick said:

I also noticed ackermann steering in both versions. As a rule my wheeled creations steer like a car, IE only the front two wheels(Darn it GIVE US MORE THAN 15 DEGREES OF SWING), and in 1.1 I've been noticing the inside wheel steers quite a bit farther than the outside one.

Oooo, Ackerman. The proportional steering in the stock stuff didn't actually work properly when I tried it. I had to wonder if our work had an influence, though! :D

I might revisit the Ackerman thing. 

3 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

You'd be amazed how often I bump into my own posts when researching - it's cool, but rather frustrating.

I feel the pain.  All you need is a fairly obscure subject and a few posts.  I doubt my Land Rover Defender mod will EVER get there, but last time I googled "North American Rockwell Mars Excursion Module" the 1st hit was my mod. 

Can't quite figure out what's going wrong. Have a nasty feeling it's to do with kraken stuff, but I might be totally off the mark. I'll pick it back up next week as I'm off to Norway for a little break tomorrow. 

Sarcifises to the Kraken may have to be made. 

5 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Can't quite figure out what's going wrong. Have a nasty feeling it's to do with kraken stuff, but I might be totally off the mark. I'll pick it back up next week as I'm off to Norway for a little break tomorrow. 

Sarcifises to the Kraken may have to be made. 

No worries, enjoy the break :)

If you want to push what you have to the repo I can take a poke at it as well.  I'm off work for the next week (camping trip, cancelled due to rain), so should have a fair bit of time to play around with it.

Sorry, I ran out of time before I left! 

Basically, I made a part module that searches the part for wheel colliders, removes them then adds in ours to the relevant game objects.  

I'd modified KFModuleWheel to look for SLWheelCollider and utilize it the very slightly different way in needs, mostly to do with the hit info. At the moment, it goes bonkers, so I was looking at stripping a load of stuff out of the plugin and enabling some debugging info and debug lines in to see what the hell is going on. We're talking explodes the runway, makes the wheel parts go odd shapes and phantom forces the craft into orbit kind of crazy.