1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

No no!!!! That's ancient, may have been 0.90.

I wish I was that far along... At the moment, we're confined to a sandbox in the Unity 5 editor, developing there because it takes so damn long to reboot KSP after every code change. I could have spent weeks waiting for KSP to boot if I was developing this in game. 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Oh I see, why not make a new install all stock to boot? It boots in about 1min30secs for me

because that is 1m 30s too long.

Doing it in Unity is near instant.

Imagine if you need to test things 100 times in a day (not at all unheard of; quite common actually).  Even at 1:30 for each test... you are wasting hours per day just loading KSP.

5 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Imagine if you need to test things 100 times in a day (not at all unheard of; quite common actually).  Even at 1:30 for each test... you are wasting hours per day just loading KSP.

Indeed. It really is a labour of love developing anything in KSP... For what we're doing, the Unity editor provides a much more streamlined environment. 

Looking forward to seeing that SSTO. My very favourite thing about this whole modding experience has always been seeing what people do with the KF parts. 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

I will update soon, now I'm not quite so ashamed of what I've done :D 

Something like this:

Hey did you ever get that hitch to a usable point? I know you fixed the drifting apart during time warp bug with a bit of BD's code. But that was around the time of your much needed break from the KSP scene.

6 hours ago, lo-fi said:

At the moment, we're confined to a sandbox in the Unity 5 editor, developing there because it takes so damn long to reboot KSP after every code change. I could have spent weeks waiting for KSP to boot if I was developing this in game. 

Sad that I can only like this once.

Even with parts, where you can adjust, reload, repeat, that takes ages.  I've only done a tiny bit of coding for KSP, and I sympathize deeply for the coming time when you have to get around to testing within KSP.

Thanks, I'm kind of dreading that bit! I wish the loader wasn't so damn slow. I always run with a totally stripped down dev install, and even then it's frustrating. 

58 minutes ago, xEvilReeperx said:

Maybe you'll be able to get some use out of my tool? /shameless :)

What would we do without you? I'd missed that; what an absolute godsend! Thank you, yet again! 

On 8/3/2016 at 8:42 AM, Shadowmage said:

you could use the f12 debugging menu to reload all the parts in game. just have only the parts you need installed (remove unnecaray stock parts), and reload with the debugging menu as long as none of your parts rely on module manager patches to apply changes(MM only makes changes at boot up).

obviously it's not a complete solution, but for later testing it's be a lot faster(especially if you're only tweaking .cfg files)

Just now, Rushligh said:

you could use the f12 debugging menu to reload all the parts in game. just have only the parts you need installed (remove unnecaray stock parts), and reload with the debugging menu as long as none of your parts rely on module manager patches to apply changes(MM only makes changes at boot up).

obviously it's not a complete solution, but for later testing it's be a lot faster(especially if you're only tweaking .cfg files)

Reload Database doesn't reload assets (models/textures) or plugins. I'm unsure if it finds new configs if they don't request anything new. All Reload Database is good for is balancing (I think).

also, idk how, but the maker(s) of the Buffalo mod got custom wheel coliders to work, their wheels seem to work nicely for me right now (albeit they need a lof of space to 'not be blocked'). maybe give the author a shout?

6 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

also, idk how, but the maker(s) of the Buffalo mod got custom wheel coliders to work, their wheels seem to work nicely for me right now (albeit they need a lof of space to 'not be blocked'). maybe give the author a shout?

The Buffalo wheels aren't custom colliders, they're stock ones applied to custom models. That's still easily achieved. If they were custom colliders, they wouldn't have the "wheel blocked" behavior.

14 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

you could use the f12 debugging menu to reload all the parts in game.

However, that doesn't reload the libraries that determine their behaviour, which I'm afraid is the issue here. That is why @xEvilReeperx has such an interesting suggestion.

3 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

The Buffalo wheels aren't custom colliders, they're stock ones applied to custom models. That's still easily achieved. If they were custom colliders, they wouldn't have the "wheel blocked" behavior.

that makes sense.

Can anyone help me? I'm having trouble with the mod as it kinda works. When im in the SPH/VAB the parts show up but when i put them on and right click on them nothing shows up. When I fly the craft my ship floats in mid air even with the tracks and it dosint move. No animations happen either. Is there a way to fix this?

Just now, WolfyAnimations said:

Can anyone help me? I'm having trouble with the mod as it kinda works. When im in the SPH/VAB the parts show up but when i put them on and right click on them nothing shows up. When I fly the craft my ship floats in mid air even with the tracks and it dosint move. No animations happen either. Is there a way to fix this?

Are you in 1.1.x?
If so, uninstall it and read the last several pages.

If not, uninstall it and be sad.

The gist of it is as follows:
The port to U5 killed custom adaptations of wheel colliders. In particular, this applies to KF. lo-fi and Shadowmage have been working on an entirely new wheel collider technology, set to be released sometime betweenKillicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100 and SoonTM.

1 minute ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Are you in 1.1.x?
If so, uninstall it and read the last several pages.

If not, uninstall it and be sad.

The gist of it is as follows:
The port to U5 killed custom adaptations of wheel colliders. In particular, this applies to KF. lo-fi and Shadowmage have been working on an entirely new wheel collider technology, set to be released sometime betweenKillicon_holy_mackerel.png?t=20110425100 and SoonTM.

I think i am in 1.1 but tnx anyway