1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

0.24 works fine.

Have attached an image which will only affect the most OCD among us. Basically, the wheel's don't actually touch the ground (ever). Also, the medium wheel has a mind of it's own and likes to suddenly decide it wants to turn left at random or never stop accelerating. Or both.

The large wheels are pretty good but seem quite low on traction, I hypereditted them onto the mun and they are well... uninspiring.

Those antigrav units tho.. Oh. My. God. Now to combine with interstellar for a thermal turbojet for propulsion and you have a duna rover that will literally never run out of fuel. Or kethane and drive from deposit to deposit to refuel monoprop with teh new monoprop engine (which isn't bad tbh!)

uFGiTTJ.png

yqvDrBr.png

Solved half my problem with kissing hillsides at 200 m/s... Use more anti-grav thrusters. Now I can cruise along at stupid speeds until I find water (which, from what I've seen in this thread, might not be a problem for much longer...) at which I pull up on the control surfaces and the jets, and lift clumsily into the sky. Now if only I could master landing on these things without busting up my speeder, I'd be happy. More hover altitude would be nice, as the tweakable up to 4 isn't quite enough for me. Call me picky if you want, but I'd like more of an air-cushion between my high-speed craft and deadly dirt, and altitude would be a good way to do it.

Also fun to cruise around KSC with an ion thruster. Slow, yes, but fun. It's like driving a frictionless hovercraft.

The float issue is annoying. Both Zodius and myself have run into issues with placement. I'm not sure if its the exporter, ksp or ModuleWheel, but it's somewhat random to say the least. Traction for the big wheels... They're not really for low gravity - a bit big to be launching anywhere. Fun on Kerbin, however...

I suspect some mod incompatibility for your control issues, I've not run into that or had it reported up to this point. I can't imagine what, though! Bung me and output_log if you get a few minutes?

Glad you're enjoying the repulsors, I have yet to try the new engine with them.

Solved half my problem with kissing hillsides at 200 m/s... Use more anti-grav thrusters. Now I can cruise along at stupid speeds until I find water (which, from what I've seen in this thread, might not be a problem for much longer...) at which I pull up on the control surfaces and the jets, and lift clumsily into the sky. Now if only I could master landing on these things without busting up my speeder, I'd be happy. More hover altitude would be nice, as the tweakable up to 4 isn't quite enough for me. Call me picky if you want, but I'd like more of an air-cushion between my high-speed craft and deadly dirt, and altitude would be a good way to do it.

Also fun to cruise around KSC with an ion thruster. Slow, yes, but fun. It's like driving a frictionless hovercraft.

This has been requested a lot, so I'm working on higher settings while maintaining stability. I think I'll have nailed over the weekend. Do post some pics or video!

The float issue is annoying. Both Zodius and myself have run into issues with placement. I'm not sure if its the exporter, ksp or ModuleWheel, but it's somewhat random to say the least. Traction for the big wheels...

Get it too, could it be made by the collider size ?

Hello guys! as always the repulsor are great!:D

But yesterday i try to rescale them....and i didn't make it, i just manage to remove the option:P

i was trying to make them shorter for my rover and being able to transport it on a B9 cargo

GMse7XW.jpg

I0zVgYn.png

S6bYnaG.jpg

lSGbe#3

Edited by S1000RRHP4

Only a matter of time until someone did that ;) Almost worth a special version for the Kelorian!

I wish I could figure out the collider placement issue, it's seriously annoying. Not only is the placement off, the suspension travel comes out wrong too. You can sort of model around it, but it's trial and error. My suspension geometry makes it more apparent too :/

I placed the repulsor that way for doing some off road at an insane speed:P

it's really efficient that way, i can make a big jump and when i fall my rover doesn't break and it can still go fast!

i've even been able to climb a mountain at 100m/s!!! the kerbal way!:cool:

i only tried to make the repulsors smaller because my rover is too wider for my cargo:wink:

Re hovering wheels, this can be mostly alleviated by making track steering a child of suspensionTraverse as in the pic below, this is a slightly outdated pic as I now use the smoothSteering setup but it wont affect the results. I too like my wheels planted (Ignore the note it was a ref for something else.)

Hope this helps

6pyOLQX.png

And proof that I no longer have hover

nOwTwXP.png

Re hovering wheels, this can be mostly alleviated by making track steering a child of suspensionTraverse as in the pic below, this is a slightly outdated pic as I now use the smoothSteering setup but it wont affect the results. I too like my wheels planted (Ignore the note it was a ref for something else.)

Hope this helps

http://i.imgur.com/6pyOLQX.png

And proof that I no longer have hover

http://i.imgur.com/nOwTwXP.png

Yes, but then you also lose the suspension following the arc of the end of the suspension arm and you're back to stock 'up-down' simplicity. A plugin extension with some simple trig would help, actually.

@lo-fi I've just checked and my results differ , while there is a little more extension between pivots than in your preferred hierarchy the suspension arms do follow an arc, and as my designs as they contain no extension sleeve in the arm shows any misalignment in an obvious fashion. Do note however that the hierarchy shown is NOT the same that that I use now and was just an example.

I think thats a reasonable trade off for having the wheels firmly on the ground(until you come up with a trig fix of course:D)

Apologies, I should have re-phrased: The suspension components you've childed to suspensionTraverse will not follow the arc of the end of the suspension arms as they move. I'm afraid I'm just not happy with that, particularly on longer travel setups: suspensionTraverse is only moved up and down by the stock module. There is a trade-off with the wheel float in my method, though if you're careful you can turn it into tyre quash when the suspension is compressed, which actually looks pretty good. Another thing that annoys me is that the colliders radius is essentially pointless as the raycast has zero width. You get severe tyre sinkage when the collider is not at right angles to the ground. Another little plugin module to set it so it always looks at the ground around the X axis will fix this - it's on the list. This would also make wheels work upside down ;)

The Unity WheelCollider is OK for racing car games on flat tracks, but needs some serious help in off-road environments like KSP!

The Unity WheelCollider is OK for racing car games on flat tracks, but needs some serious help in off-road environments like KSP!

I don't know how Unity web player differ from what used in KSP but this game have no issue regarding collider as we have with KSP, and race "tracks" are everything but flat and there is crazy jumping all around + missiles which doesn't pass through the car (sadly :D). I don't know how it has been made however.

OOOO new stuff in the repository big griins ahead:cool:

ps

just checking module calls for new and modified items, AlphaSteering and RepulsorAlpha? feature latest developments. are any of the older calls still available or active?

Cheers

Edit Dont like the removal of option to start deployed retracted, makes stopping or recovering vessel a real pain, also for lighter vehicles launch is a problem as vehicle achieves significant upward momentum on repulsor activation, also on a narrow platform this edition of the plugin is not as stable(meaning vehicle wobbles not a plugin problem) as the previous iteration.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Yep, all previous classes are available spanner. The alpha versions are there so I can play around and not have to mess up the alpha parts.

See the TEST version of the repulsors, playing around with a different mechanic for extend/retract. Just set height to zero on launch and use the action groups to raise slowly. You'll find them much, much more stable too, the AG field extends further.

That looks good, robot. Really cool little rover he's produced.

Could you post a change log and version number for the alpha so I can know when I need to update it? :D

Aye! Forgive my noobism, this development malarkey is all new to me. Much to think about! Version numbers are implemented on the alpha repo, will try to do the same with the dev and keep a change log with both (though to git commit comments should help give you an idea hopefully).

Hi been to tied up with other projects to spend much time testing but thought i'd just pop this in here as it's relevant, I've reworked the TR_2L to smoothSteering standards and equipped it with the new wheel plugin, the difference over stock is immediately apparent. You can try it HERE

I totally agree with the comments regarding the raycast and lack of dimensions to the wheel colliders, it's a fairly poor though workable solution, and with some digging and testing of other unity games it does seem that KSP has some issues with colliders that don't appear to be present in the other unity based stuff .

The Ackerman development is fantastic, multi wheeled rovers actually behave in an almost realistic manner I also like the proportional steering thats applied to the wheels depending on the wheels location and relationship to the other wheels.

Cant wait for the next developments, cheers

Spanner

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
link update

Good work! I'll be trying out later :D

I have some ideas to improve collider behaviour - maybe one day I'll get enough time to implement!

Glad you like what I've done already, some of that was bloody hard work to make robust enough for KSP and its still not perfect

Tracks are set to come out next, I'm seriously pleased with them :D