Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

Having the same issue as the helpful person a few posts back. When attempting to upload after everything is filled in, the site hangs for a few seconds and then returns me to a blank form, with no error messages.

Filled in the required forms, added an imgur album in the markdown section, provided a fairly small (724x454 jpg) header image, and included at first a .rar, then a .zip instead.

EDIT: Giving it another go with a public profile. Received this when attempting .rar;

Bad Request

The browser (or proxy) sent a request that this server could not understand.

With a .zip it eventually went through and sent me to the publishing page.

Edited by hoojiwana

How do you feel about the redesigned look+feel? Here's a mockup.

Way more usable, especially after looking at https://mediacru.sh/bb96170d311f/focus too. Colors, fonts, sizes, etc are for someone else to comment, since I'm not a graphic designer. :)

Also, you might like the GitHub integration I have planned, where a GitHub release automatically becomes a Kerbal Stuff version.

Ooh, nice! If there was an "import from Github" button to start the mod in first place, that would also be cool and might help drive adoption.

Ok, well forget it then. I don't want to have to re-do that ridiculous markdown again. Suggestion: You should include some editing buttons so you don't have to type it out or use something a little more sensible like WikiCreole.

I'll re-iterate my opinion that creating a mod should be much less front-loaded. It sucks to have to fill out six million fields, only to have it fail. Even when it works, people might give up part way through due to the perceived effort.. whereas if they saw progress along the way ("mod created! now fill out part 2!") then they might continue.

IMHO you should be able to give a name, ZIP file, and short description, and have it create the mod page. Then go back and edit the long description (markdown), the license, images and videos, the URLs, etc etc etc - but save each edit at every step. Then when there's enough information, publish the mod so other people can see it (instead of just the author).

The fields could auto-save when you tab (like ReviewBoard does), or just have the "Next" buttons actually save.

For the big organized projects, it probably doesn't matter; they'll slog through the signup. For the one-man coder who's currently using the forums + Dropbox, ease-of-use is a big concern.

Still get bad request error on "save changes" in edit media after adding a screenshot for one of my mod. 1st screenshot added was ok (5th pic), save ok, added another pic after, save => bad request error :/ and I get it consistently, upload ok, save take a while (what it is supposed to do on save ? upload has been done so it shouldn't take too long).

(Kerbice Group, mod = RNO set 2).

Thanks.

I will investigate, please be patient. I know there are issues with it.

Thanks, and no pb, I'm patient, just remember screenshots are the main way to show people what a mod is and it's not unusual to need more than 4 of them (lot's of parts or lot's of way to use parts :) ).

Let me know if I can help (redoing the steps when you're there for example).

Thanks, and no pb, I'm patient, just remember screenshots are the main way to show people what a mod is and it's not unusual to need more than 4 of them (lot's of parts or lot's of way to use parts :) ).

Let me know if I can help (redoing the steps when you're there for example).

I would suggest embedding an imgur album in your mod description for the time being. I'm deprecating first-class screenshots soon anyway.

I would suggest embedding an imgur album in your mod description for the time being. I'm deprecating first-class screenshots soon anyway.

First-class screenshots meaning "uploaded to Kerbal Stuff"?

:( imgur is not very reliable, their bandwidth is sometime very low, and they only "offer" 225, or a close amount, pic max for free account (don't know exactly what that's means, maybe all pics after 225 are not publicly visible !)

I really would like to have something safe and fair like a local storage, if the storage space + related bandwidth is not an issue of course. Just to be sure one day there is no mod without any pics at all.

:( imgur is not very reliable, their bandwidth is sometime very low, and they only "offer" 225, or a close amount, pic max for free account (don't know exactly what that's means, maybe all pics after 225 are not publicly visible !)

I really would like to have something safe and fair like a local storage, if the storage space + related bandwidth is not an issue of course. Just to be sure one day there is no mod without any pics at all.

I'll also be adding support for embedded MediaCrush videos and albums, don't worry.

Make it optional in the profile settings

EDIT: And another question: When will the redesign launch? It looks great and much more useful.

It will launch when it's done ;) It takes a while, there's a lot of work involved.

Would you guys like to receive an email whenever a new mod is featured on the site?

Looks like you already decided we did. Not cool.

Default to opt-in for emails like this. Also not cool.

No option to unsubscribe in the email link. Definitely not cool, and in violation of anti-spam legislation.

No option to unsubscribe or opt out on the website. Both frustrating and uncool.

You may want to sort out all of this before sending bulk emails out in the future. Ironically, I was just thinking about giving this another go (I really had a negative experience when I first tried to use it, but that was early on), but given the points above, while minor, make me raise an eyebrow and I'll be sitting this one out until I see the house is more in order.

Looks like you already decided we did. Not cool.

Default to opt-in for emails like this. Also not cool.

No option to unsubscribe in the email link. Definitely not cool, and in violation of anti-spam legislation.

No option to unsubscribe or opt out on the website. Both frustrating and uncool.

You may want to sort out all of this before sending bulk emails out in the future. Ironically, I was just thinking about giving this another go (I really had a negative experience when I first tried to use it, but that was early on), but given the points above, while minor, make me raise an eyebrow and I'll be sitting this one out until I see the house is more in order.

Oh hush, I didn't "decide" to, I asked both here and via email, since most users aren't reading this thread.

There's only so much I can do at once, implementing a proper unsubscribe mechanism takes time. As a user in a beta, you should expect to be asked for feedback on experimental new things.

Oh hush, I didn't "decide" to, I asked both here and via email, since most users aren't reading this thread.

There's only so much I can do at once, implementing a proper unsubscribe mechanism takes time. As a user in a beta, you should expect to be asked for feedback on experimental new things.

"Oh Hush"...

How lovely. So rather than an apology 'oops - I made a mistake', or maybe didn't realize those pesky FTC rules were in place, you decide it's better to just tell your potential userbase to shut up. there's some interesting irony in all of this that I will leave as an exercise for the reader.

Please remove my account and my data from KerbalStuff. User name is the same as my forum name.

Please remove my account and my data from KerbalStuff. User name is the same as my forum name.

Done. Good riddance.

Listen up, everyone. You've registered for a beta. You will be experimented upon and asked for feedback. If you don't like it, then sign up when it's done.

Would you guys like to receive an email whenever a new mod is featured on the site?

Not really, personally. To me it comes across like an update on something that I don't care about (yet), I am more likely to delete the email without checking it out than being interested in a mod.

But that's just me ofc.

How lovely. So rather than an apology 'oops - I made a mistake', or maybe didn't realize those pesky FTC rules were in place, you decide it's better to just tell your potential userbase to shut up.

I'm not sure if those rules apply since KerbalStuff is non-commercial, and even if it was anyone already signed up could be considered "existing customers".

I'm not sure if those rules apply since KerbalStuff is non-commercial, and even if it was anyone already signed up could be considered "existing customers".

(Edit) Actually, you are correct - relationship emails. But still not cool, and the response was even less cool.

Edited by RoverDude

Actually they do. Since about 2003. Which is why most folks these days use MailChimp or some other clearinghouse to sort out all of the legalese.

Actually, they don't. You have signed up for a beta and you are expected to give feedback and be involved in experiments while the site settles. Services are permitted to email users when they are expected to take action or participate in something. This is why your bank can email you about that person who stole your card even though you opted out of promotional things.

Actually, they don't. You have signed up for a beta and you are expected to give feedback and be involved in experiments while the site settles. Services are permitted to email users when they are expected to take action or participate in something. This is why your bank can email you about that person who stole your card even though you opted out of promotional things.

See my edit above ;)

Still not cool, and the response and vitriol was definitely beyond not cool. But hey, no worries. Right vs. effective and all that jazz.

c'mon. no need for all this legalistic stuff. :) It's all text, any cool or not cool context is strictly in the mind, my mind voice is a little old british lady sipping tea while reading the forum posts to me, I get a chuckle every other thread. SirCmpwn's done a bang up job thus far. cheers on that.

@RoverDude: IMHO you are not really friendly in this case, SirCmpwn work on his own on a mod hosting website, do a great job (he is alone, he is not paid for it, don't forget, and he is good to don't put tons of damned ads and killing pop-ups to earn a few miserable bucks with it), I can only suggest you to cool down a bit. What's such a big deal to even receive ONE single mail from time to time on update (not 1000 a day !) even if you don't want to, does your mail box is 1 mail ready to explode ? Does the 1000 of spams you got every day is a pb to you ? Did you complain to ALL spammers because they have never ask you to "opt-f<something>-in" ?

Seriously what the matter with you guys ? Continuing flaming every single individual who do something for many will not help at all !

@SirCmpwn: keep up your good job.

-----

What this world is becoming... :huh: I'll make a Tron-like digitalizing device to go to the kerbal universe :).