[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

There's an updated FAR config in the experimentals version on my dropbox (note it in the all-in-one pack).

Given my install works fine with both FAR and RealChutes, if anyone else can double-verify this from the USI experimental build that would be lovely.

I could help you verify, but i would really not prefer to download all-in one. Is there a chance to get just the realchutes.cfg ? (Unless more other stuff is needed) ?

I could help you verify, but i would really not prefer to download all-in one. Is there a chance to get just the realchutes.cfg ? (Unless more other stuff is needed) ?

Go to the Beehive folder - that's my GameData with all of the raw files

Personal emergency/camping pop-tent (MKS style, but smaller and with crew hatch)? :)

I saw one floating around somewhere :) Actually something that's on the long term list for this mod - a three-man survival tent that's KAS-ground-attachable and has solar panels and life support supplies

There's an updated FAR config in the experimentals version on my dropbox (note it in the all-in-one pack).

Given my install works fine with both FAR and RealChutes, if anyone else can double-verify this from the USI experimental build that would be lovely.

I can confirm that using the most recent experimentals I still have the issue with the RCS, decouple and parachute animations playing continuously on the DERP engine in the VAB and NRE spam in the debug.

If I remove the lines from the FAR cfg adding the FAR module to the engine pod part, or if I remove the RealChutes cfg everything works fine.

on a clean install of KSP.24.2 x86 with the following:

FAR v0.14.1.1

RealChutes v1.2.4

DREContinued v5.3

ATM v3.4

USI_EXPERIMENTAL_AllMods_2014.10.04

MM 2.4.5

You don't by chance have some sort of experimental build of FAR or RealChutes do you?

I can confirm that using the most recent experimentals I still have the issue with the RCS, decouple and parachute animations playing continuously on the DERP engine in the VAB and NRE spam in the debug.

If I remove the lines from the FAR cfg adding the FAR module to the engine pod part, or if I remove the RealChutes cfg everything works fine.

on a clean install of KSP.24.2 x86 with the following:

FAR v0.14.1.1

RealChutes v1.2.4

DREContinued v5.3

ATM v3.4

USI_EXPERIMENTAL_AllMods_2014.10.04

MM 2.4.5

You don't by chance have some sort of experimental build of FAR or RealChutes do you?

UPDATE:

I found that there is I guess an unofficial FAR release, v.14.1.2, with this installed and realchutes there an no issues with the DERP engine on USI_experimentals 2014.10.04.

This FAR version isn't found on the FAR forum page it still lists v.14.1.1 and on the FAR releases on GitHub the latest release is v.14.1.1

But if you download the FAR Master folder from the main FAR GitHub page you get the v.14.1.2

UPDATE:

I found that there is I guess an unofficial FAR release, v.14.1.2, with this installed and realchutes there an no issues with the DERP engine on USI_experimentals 2014.10.04.

This FAR version isn't found on the FAR forum page it still lists v.14.1.1 and on the FAR releases on GitHub the latest release is v.14.1.1

But if you download the FAR Master folder from the main FAR GitHub page you get the v.14.1.2

Excellent, so I'm not insane after all ;)

Today I used the RCS on a still-attached DERP to de-orbit a craft which ran out of all other fuel just on the doorstep of home.

Who says they're just for Kerbals? :)

Something weird is going on with the (small) airbags. When I attach three radially and activate them through an action group, two deploy and one does not. It's not possible to deploy the third one manually. Very strange.

Hi RoverDude:

The DERP seems to have problems with its center of mass in 0.25 with version 0.1.2 of the survivability pack.

Here's a demo from an otherwise stock 0.25 install (win32) with just the survivability pack and its dependencies installed.

As you can see, it looks like the CoM is in the hatch, or just outside of it. Kerbal Engineer reports the mass of the DERP as 0, and the camera moves alarmingly if you extend the kickstand, implying a large change in CoM when the kickstand moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQCKgdfki9w

I have Survivability Pack 1.2.0. I seem to be missing the DERP propulsion unit from the list of items that I can store in my KAS container (it is the 80-unit container and is empty). Has something changed? I can see in the config file for the propulsion unit:

@PART[uSI_PodCapsule]:NEEDS[KAS] {

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = True

storedSize = 40

attachOnPart = false

bayType = DERPConnector

bayNode = top

bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

}

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 5

maxOpenDistance = 2

sndStorePath = KAS/Sounds/hookBayStore

sndOpenPath = KAS/Sounds/containerOpen

sndClosePath = KAS/Sounds/containerClose

bipWrongSndPath = KAS/Sounds/bipwrong

}

}

My game just crashed and I restarted it, but I'll be happy to provide logs if you need them.

Thanks for a great mod! :)

Any thought about either modifying the airbags or creating similar ones as inflatable heat-shields for DREC ?

I'm thinking like in the movie 2010: The year we make contact , the russian ship deploys inflatable heat-shield airbags to do it's aerobrake in Jupiter's atmosphere. Obviously I'm thinking of doing the same at Jool. :)

I'm sure I could just modify the part cfg file, but I was thinking more along the lines of something that looked more like the movie.

I have Survivability Pack 1.2.0. I seem to be missing the DERP propulsion unit from the list of items that I can store in my KAS container (it is the 80-unit container and is empty). Has something changed?:

Confirming I have the same problem and see the configs are probably the issue, but not sure what they need to be changed to

Something weird is going on with the (small) airbags. When I attach three radially and activate them through an action group, two deploy and one does not. It's not possible to deploy the third one manually. Very strange.

hm, I've heard of this before, but can't seem to replicate. Are you testing them out in the VAB before departure?

Hi RoverDude:

The DERP seems to have problems with its center of mass in 0.25 with version 0.1.2 of the survivability pack.

Here's a demo from an otherwise stock 0.25 install (win32) with just the survivability pack and its dependencies installed.

As you can see, it looks like the CoM is in the hatch, or just outside of it. Kerbal Engineer reports the mass of the DERP as 0, and the camera moves alarmingly if you extend the kickstand, implying a large change in CoM when the kickstand moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQCKgdfki9w

I'll take a look, a few tweaks were done for FAR but at this point, I'll probably revert those a bit and reposition the COM. If you could log a github issue that would rock.

I have Survivability Pack 1.2.0. I seem to be missing the DERP propulsion unit from the list of items that I can store in my KAS container (it is the 80-unit container and is empty). Has something changed? I can see in the config file for the propulsion unit:

<SNIP>

My game just crashed and I restarted it, but I'll be happy to provide logs if you need them.

Thanks for a great mod! :)

No reason why it should not work as nothing has changed - and don't blame me for your crashes ;)

Any thought about either modifying the airbags or creating similar ones as inflatable heat-shields for DREC ?

I'm thinking like in the movie 2010: The year we make contact , the russian ship deploys inflatable heat-shield airbags to do it's aerobrake in Jupiter's atmosphere. Obviously I'm thinking of doing the same at Jool. :)

I'm sure I could just modify the part cfg file, but I was thinking more along the lines of something that looked more like the movie.

Log me a github issue with details on what you want, given heatshields and other goodies are on my list.

Confirming I have the same problem and see the configs are probably the issue, but not sure what they need to be changed to

Which issue?

Aww no custom IVA

I can't see what value a custom IVA would have for this mod, other than sucking down precious RAM. No windows, so no issues with positioning, and if it were to have an IVA it would pretty much be an empty beachball with a compass ;)

I can't see what value a custom IVA would have for this mod, other than sucking down precious RAM. No windows, so no issues with positioning, and if it were to have an IVA it would pretty much be an empty beachball with a compass ;)

only one reason foor having iva is for players that play IVA only misions yep would be nice to have but most times completle usles

only one reason foor having iva is for players that play IVA only misions yep would be nice to have but most times completle usles

There's an IVA in it though - it reuses the Mk1 pod one, which works since it's the right size and has no windows. Totally on board with IVA only, just don't see the benefit in adding a brand new IVA space (which means texture, model, etc.) to KSP for minimal value.

The DERP Propulsion Module does not show in the available KAS container items, but the Lifeboat module does.

I found and fixed this last night and passed it up to RoverDude who accepted it this morning. I don't know when the next release will be, but this will be fixed. :)

I discovered a problem last night that apparently involves the DERP pod and RealChute wherein Bad Things happen when a flight is reverted to launch. Complete details behind the cuts. I'm working on investigating this but as it does not appear to be a simple fix, I wanted to put it out there if only as a warning/possible known issue.

1. Start KSP 0.25, 32-bit for Windows, with at least the latest USI Survivability Pack (0.1.2), and RealChute 1.2.5.3.
  2. In the VAB, place a DERP Propulsion Module and stack a DERP Lifeboat Module on top.
  3. Launch vessel.
  4. After a few seconds, revert to launch.
  5. When the scene reloads, parts of the UI will be inoperable and parts of the vessel will be missing while the DERP Propulsion Module "goes nuts" as pictured.

nAEyxvU.png

Log file (Dropbox)

NOTE: The logging includes additional debug logging that I added to RealChute as part of looking at this problem so far. These lines are denoted by an [ozraven] prefix.

My GameData:

AvFntBh.png

My GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries:

es6Jbne.png

• Checked that all of the settings in SrvPack's RealChutes.cfg are reasonable/comparable to other known working setups. (They are.)
  • Removed RealChutes so that the DERP Propulsion Module would use stock parachutes. (Problem does not occur.)
  • Added debug logging to RealChutes to "trap" the NRE for more information. (Logs show the NRE occurs loading the PARACHUTE material (parachuteName).)
    • Imported the PodEngine.mu in to Blender to verify that "Canopy" is the name of the parachute's transform. (It is - ModuleParachute works with the same value.)

I haven't ruled out a problem with RealChute but I also haven't been able to reproduce the problem with anything other than the DERP Propulsion Module. :(

I discovered a problem last night that apparently involves the DERP pod and RealChute wherein Bad Things happen when a flight is reverted to launch. Complete details behind the cuts. I'm working on investigating this but as it does not appear to be a simple fix, I wanted to put it out there if only as a warning/possible known issue.

1. Start KSP 0.25, 32-bit for Windows, with at least the latest USI Survivability Pack (0.1.2), and RealChute 1.2.5.3.
  2. In the VAB, place a DERP Propulsion Module and stack a DERP Lifeboat Module on top.
  3. Launch vessel.
  4. After a few seconds, revert to launch.
  5. When the scene reloads, parts of the UI will be inoperable and parts of the vessel will be missing while the DERP Propulsion Module "goes nuts" as pictured.

http://i.imgur.com/nAEyxvU.png

Log file (Dropbox)

NOTE: The logging includes additional debug logging that I added to RealChute as part of looking at this problem so far. These lines are denoted by an [ozraven] prefix.

My GameData:

http://i.imgur.com/AvFntBh.png

My GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries:

http://i.imgur.com/es6Jbne.png

• Checked that all of the settings in SrvPack's RealChutes.cfg are reasonable/comparable to other known working setups. (They are.)
  • Removed RealChutes so that the DERP Propulsion Module would use stock parachutes. (Problem does not occur.)
  • Added debug logging to RealChutes to "trap" the NRE for more information. (Logs show the NRE occurs loading the PARACHUTE material (parachuteName).)
    • Imported the PodEngine.mu in to Blender to verify that "Canopy" is the name of the parachute's transform. (It is - ModuleParachute works with the same value.)

I haven't ruled out a problem with RealChute but I also haven't been able to reproduce the problem with anything other than the DERP Propulsion Module. :(

To be perfectly honest, I'll probably be cutting (no pun intended) realchute support as it's been fairly problematic.

hello RoverDude i have an idea for you that you can implement to work along side the derp...

a backpack with a parachute which i tired once but lost interest due to IRL...

should be simple up until actually animating the parachute but would just have to use Kas though which should be fine...

just a suggestion