[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I have encountered a weird bug today. Making a battle in space with two teams with the weapon manager A and B teams. 3 vs 3 ships. Everything works fine, every ship uses its guns. But after some quicksave reloads they stopped shooting at each other, except two of them. When I turn on the guard mode, the ships won't switch to their guns, they instead turn the selected weapon off when I switch it manually. It's exactly the same setup, I don't know why. All ranges and ammo is correct and it worked in the beginning. I also restarted the game and PC, nothing helped. Any advice?

Can you help me with this?

Also found this in the log:

Ship 1 is disengaging - no valid weapons

and some nullrefs

I am getting crazy and can't solve the problem, new ships have the same problem. Should I reinstall KSP and all mods?

Can you help me with this?

Also found this in the log:

Ship 1 is disengaging - no valid weapons

and some nullrefs

I am getting crazy and can't solve the problem, new ships have the same problem. Should I reinstall KSP and all mods?

Post the logs. I need to see what the nullrefs are.

Post the logs. I need to see what the nullrefs are.

Here is a part of the KSP.log. Just repeats itself over and over.

[LOG 00:18:34.524] Checking turrets
[LOG 00:18:34.525] Checking turret range - turret has full swivel
[LOG 00:18:34.525] .50cal Turret 4 is valid!
[LOG 00:18:34.526] Venator 3 is engaging the closest target with extended turret range (.50cal Turret 4)
[LOG 00:18:35.133] Checking turrets
[LOG 00:18:35.134] Checking turret range - turret has full swivel
[LOG 00:18:35.134] .50cal Turret 4 is valid!
[LOG 00:18:35.135] Venator 1 is engaging the closest target with extended turret range (.50cal Turret 4)
[EXC 00:18:35.161] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
BahaTurret.BahaTurret.Aim ()
BahaTurret.BahaTurret.OnFixedUpdate ()
Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate ()
Part.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 00:18:35.162] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
BahaTurret.BahaTurret.Aim ()
BahaTurret.BahaTurret.OnFixedUpdate ()
Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate ()
Part.FixedUpdate ()

and here the output.log

It's just weird, it worked and the next moment it stopped.

Edited by Space Scumbag

Each and every post gets me more and more excited for this update Baha. I know I'm not the first to ask, but is there any chance we can get the targeting pod released before everything else so we have something to tide us over?

I had to break alot of things down to integrate the new systems, so if I released it now, the target module and AGM missiles would work fine on their own, but alot of other things won't work. I also did the turret overhaul and applied it to a few weapons for testing, but everything else needs to be reconfigured.

There's alot more to the update than just a new toy, so just sit tight and let me work on putting everything together.

edit:

SpaceScumbag, apparently the turret module is throwing the exception. I've redone the turret module but haven't done extensive testing with AI yet so you'll just have to wait and try to replicate it after the update. Sorry

Edited by BahamutoD

I had to break alot of things down to integrate the new systems, so if I released it now, the target module and AGM missiles would work fine on their own, but alot of other things won't work. I also did the turret overhaul and applied it to a few weapons for testing, but everything else needs to be reconfigured.There's alot more to the update than just a new toy, so just sit tight and let me work on putting everything together.
We know we know. It all just looks so cool. You know we love you Baha....

I had to break alot of things down to integrate the new systems, so if I released it now, the target module and AGM missiles would work fine on their own, but alot of other things won't work. I also did the turret overhaul and applied it to a few weapons for testing, but everything else needs to be reconfigured.

There's alot more to the update than just a new toy, so just sit tight and let me work on putting everything together.

edit:

SpaceScumbag, apparently the turret module is throwing the exception. I've redone the turret module but haven't done extensive testing with AI yet so you'll just have to wait and try to replicate it after the update. Sorry

Is there going to be an AWACS style system and a targeting nosecone?

Also, is there a possibility of a "paint" AI mode where a plane orbits the battlefield and paints targets?

Great work, Baha!

One interesting fact: if your vehicle moves at trans-sonic velocity, the CCIP calculation will be significantly offset to the front of actual falling point. In other word the CCIP calculation did not count in trans-sonic drag. It is a special case of FAR so just take care.

I have a question.

Will the fancy targety camera thing be restricted (I play DCS at 20 FPS and i don't know what it's called. *facepalm*) mainly to the targeting pod?

What i would like is to include target camera into tank turrets. In real life modern tank turrets contain a FCS (Fire Control System). Basically, depending on the wind, elevation, target speed and movement. The FCS will generate a fire solution for the gunner and fire accordingly. But you may ask isn't that already in BDArmory due to how the gun already tries tries it's best to hit the point provided by the mouse cursor, but when you place your mouse cursor on a target for a few seconds the turret should lock onto that target and it should account for target speed so it will accordingly lead the locked target. To elaborate the target camera is brought up somehow from the tank turret. Then the user could tick an option that allowed locking of this kind, the user then would point the cursor into a target and the turret would lock it and lead accordingly. When the user fires the round (unless the target moves unpredictably) the shell should land right on the target. (I can't think of anything else that can make the turret locking to the target instead of guard mode or blatantly locking the craft as target. But that is how the tank FCS works in Arma 2's ACE mod.)

For modders, allow us to disable certain options for the firing system like the leading FCS i mentioned above and the camera. So a modder could have only a camera in his turret but no FCS.

I tried modifying parts to make .50 cal guns and ammo available at the start of the career, but changing required tech in part .cfg did nothing, surprisingly. Are there some dependencies I'm unaware of? Does it get edited with 5dim contract pack?

I have a question.

Will the fancy targety camera thing be restricted (I play DCS at 20 FPS and i don't know what it's called. *facepalm*) mainly to the targeting pod?

For now, yes. But you can slave turrets to the camera, so that would be similar.

Will we get passive IR jammers for our aircraft?

For now, no.

One interesting fact: if your vehicle moves at trans-sonic velocity, the CCIP calculation will be significantly offset to the front of actual falling point. In other word the CCIP calculation did not count in trans-sonic drag. It is a special case of FAR so just take care.

BDA doesn't take anything FAR related into account. I'm working towards having weapon aerodynamics completely independent of other aero systems, so it's consistent with both stock and FAR aero.

I tried modifying parts to make .50 cal guns and ammo available at the start of the career, but changing required tech in part .cfg did nothing, surprisingly. Are there some dependencies I'm unaware of? Does it get edited with 5dim contract pack?

5dim does overwrite tech nodes.

I'm working on heat still. Here's a clip (with debug lines enabled) showing an optimal firing direction indicator, and usage of flares. The missile is temporarily distracted by the flares as they fall in front of it's seeker, but it regains lock on the plane which has full thrusting turbo jets (very hot).

I need an opinion on this though: The way it's set up now, if the plane turns towards the missile, the hot engines are occluded by the front of the plane and the missile usually loses lock. Is this realistic? Should I keep it that way?

I think it is fine the way it is. However, can heat radiated to other parts be locked on to by the missiles? Or is the heat BDA uses separate from the heat mechanics in game?

It does use the built in heat system, so it can lock on other hot parts, but it greatly takes into account the rate at which parts are generating heat, so active engines have a much stronger heat signatures than a random hot part.

I had to do this and not rely only on skin temperature because ksp engines take forever to cool down after you turn them off, but I wanted to have the mechanic of being able to cut off your throttle to quickly reduce your heat signature.

I need an opinion on this though: The way it's set up now, if the plane turns towards the missile, the hot engines are occluded by the front of the plane and the missile usually loses lock. Is this realistic? Should I keep it that way?

Yes, this is right, and I think it would be great as a gameplay mechanic.

A good way to escape the missiles would be to corkscrew towards the missile while deploying flares.

So, being behind your target is a big advantage not only for locking on it but you also have a higher chance to hit.

I just hope this does not turn into people covering their engines with wing parts to make them harder to lock on, maybe you could just consider the direction the engine is facing instead :P

Edit: the B-2 Spirit bomber is a good obvious example of placing the engines in a way the engine signature is occluded.