[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Basically there should be a FIRE EVERYTHING option

Does that even need to be an option? I can't really think of a situation where you wouldn't want some of your guns to be firing if the target is within range.

Hey, I'm building an AI Fighter, and it works great, but I'd like to make sure I'm using the optimal settings for an agile dogfighter. Any tips? I'm mostly concerned about the steer factors etc...

Unfortunately, I have found no explanation as to what each setting does, so... here is what I assume they do.

• Default Alt.: When not engaging or engaged with a target, the AI will patrol at this altitude.

• Min Altitude: When the craft is below this altitude, it will endeavor to get above it. If you force your plane into a fast dive past the minimum altitude and it cannot reliably pull itself out before hitting ground, raise this value.

• Steer Factor: I really don't know what this does... I know it turns harder with higher values, but seeing as there is no explanation, I really don't know what the numbers here indicate.

• Steer Limiter: This value limits the AI's ability to utilize control of the plane.

• Steer Damping: In theory, this should hinder the speed at which the AI can actuate the control surfaces, thus reducing jerkiness in flight. The maximum value here is 8, however, which I find completely insufficient and always max out.

• Max Speed: The AI will generally attempt to maintain this speed, but will often go below it in dogfights. It may go above this speed in a dive, if the plane is incapable of slowing itself down; however, it will endeavor to not maintain a speed higher than this value.

• TakeOff Speed: The speed at which the AI will attempt to lift off from the ground. For planes using FAR, or planes with long tails, I suggest not having a TO speed below 120 m/s. If your plane has weak engines, I suggest a higher TO speed to allow the plane to get some momentum before attempting a climb. If the AI happens to leave the ground before this happens, however, it will determine it is flying and will try to reach minimum altitude.

I hope this helps. I myself would like a more specific explanation as to what exactly these values do (more specifically the steer factor and steer damping).

Im just waiting for ground AI

A ground AI plus some kinds turning part (like a turrent but lets you build on it to make like a turning SAM site) would be nice.

IMO all this mod really needs is the ground AI, that turning part, Wingman (for both Air and ground), fix a few bugs (like bombs to make carpet bombing a thing again) and really thats all I would say this mod needs

So I've been messing around with a "delivery aircraft"; ie. an aircraft with decent loiter capability, high cargo capacity, and a targeting pod. What I really want to be able to do is to use this aircraft to drop custom payloads onto a target. Primarily, what this means is that a mothership can select a landing site, target it with the pod, and drop a probe which will fly itself to the target. I've been trying to use the Modular Missile Guidance part, but it doesn't seem to be picking up the target, no matter which targeting mode I have it in - the just flies in a straight line until the fuel runs out. Are there any instructions or tips on how to build something that will act like a missile?

Yeah, would be great to have the possibility of using external muzzleflash effect, not the one inbuilt into model.

@anaximander - modular missile guidance seems to require legacy targeting to be active.

Edited by sashan

i am trying to produce a halo mockup of a turret, i have it firing and the barell rotates but is there any way to get muzzle flash as well?

Ksp particle emitter using the muzzle flash texture found in BDArmory under a transform nammed muzzleTransform same goes for smoke

Unfortunately, I have found no explanation as to what each setting does, so... here is what I assume they do.

• Default Alt.: When not engaging or engaged with a target, the AI will patrol at this altitude.

• Min Altitude: When the craft is below this altitude, it will endeavor to get above it. If you force your plane into a fast dive past the minimum altitude and it cannot reliably pull itself out before hitting ground, raise this value.

• Steer Factor: I really don't know what this does... I know it turns harder with higher values, but seeing as there is no explanation, I really don't know what the numbers here indicate.

• Steer Limiter: This value limits the AI's ability to utilize control of the plane.

• Steer Damping: In theory, this should hinder the speed at which the AI can actuate the control surfaces, thus reducing jerkiness in flight. The maximum value here is 8, however, which I find completely insufficient and always max out.

• Max Speed: The AI will generally attempt to maintain this speed, but will often go below it in dogfights. It may go above this speed in a dive, if the plane is incapable of slowing itself down; however, it will endeavor to not maintain a speed higher than this value.

• TakeOff Speed: The speed at which the AI will attempt to lift off from the ground. For planes using FAR, or planes with long tails, I suggest not having a TO speed below 120 m/s. If your plane has weak engines, I suggest a higher TO speed to allow the plane to get some momentum before attempting a climb. If the AI happens to leave the ground before this happens, however, it will determine it is flying and will try to reach minimum altitude.

I hope this helps. I myself would like a more specific explanation as to what exactly these values do (more specifically the steer factor and steer damping).

What does the standby mode do?

What does the standby mode do?

if you set up some aircraft away from others (like say at the island runway) you can have them parked there. Then when you get close enough and have your aircraft set to the other team the aircraft in standby mode will take off by itself

if you set up some aircraft away from others (like say at the island runway) you can have them parked there. Then when you get close enough and have your aircraft set to the other team the aircraft in standby mode will take off by itself

Oh...well that's nice.

Ksp particle emitter using the muzzle flash texture found in BDArmory under a transform nammed muzzleTransform same goes for smoke

sweet thanks, ive been trying it with another animation but dont thi k you can double animate in the config

do you have the emitter settings? like size, energy ect.

also any config dodads need doing? or is it automatic?

Edited by amankd

What determines if the missile behaves like rolling airframe or ordinary one? I.E. AGM-86 rolls to match its lateral acceleration direction, and all others don't. Can't see any setting with obvious name.

I've just thought aboun one idea - the part module that imitates radio wave reflector. Such modules are often installed inside target drones and flying decoys, and the make them much more visible to radars.

Just make the vessel with such part exposed ignore that RCS-via-camera check, and only account for range.

Here is a quote from BahamutoD in this thread awhile back, I've been searching for the same documentation myself

"Steer factor is the amount it steers depending on the magnitude of the error.So say a desired destination A is 10 degrees above the plane, and B is 30 degrees up.

With a low steer factor, it might do a 50% pull to steer to A, and a 100% pull to reach B (then decrees to 50% by the time B is only 10 degrees up).

With a high steer factor, it might do a 100% pull already to get to A.

Pulling hard when its not that far off might mean overshooting because you're building up angular momentum.

That's where damping comes in, as it applies steering to counteract angular momentum.

So you want to tweak and balance both steer factor and damping until you get the results you want.

It's kind of like a spring and damper system, where steer factor is the spring constant."

lB0kNSM.png

the next update with Wingman can not get here fast enough. Bomber intercept missions will be fun especial now that I figured out how to run AWACS and long range intercepters.

In the pic is a large AWACS and my newest Aircraft: PG-12A Ghost after I shot down and enemy Bomber

Edited by War Eagle 1

http://i.imgur.com/lB0kNSM.png

the next update with Wingman can not get here fast enough. Bomber intercept missions will be fun especial now that I figured out how to run AWACS and long range intercepters.

In the pic is a large AWACS and my newest Aircraft: PG-12A Ghost after I shot down and enemy Bomber

Qre you using pac-3's on a fighter?