[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I am using BD Armory to make military aircraft, and it's really fun. However, I cannot seem to make a bomber with a bomb bay using the stock Mk 3 parts, or the Mk 2 parts. If it matters, I am using FAR. The problem is, when I release the bombs, I must be perfectly level and I cannot change attitude while dropping the bombs. Also, the bombs hit the back of the bomb bay if I am accelerating or not accelerating much, and hit the front (and explode) if I am decelerating. In addition, the bombs do not release quickly. I can drop one or two, but then the bombs are detected as being in the way and nothing is dropped for a bit. I can only mount bombs externally without much problem, but even then the bombs don't drop very fast.

I am using BD Armory to make military aircraft, and it's really fun. However, I cannot seem to make a bomber with a bomb bay using the stock Mk 3 parts, or the Mk 2 parts. If it matters, I am using FAR. The problem is, when I release the bombs, I must be perfectly level and I cannot change attitude while dropping the bombs. Also, the bombs hit the back of the bomb bay if I am accelerating or not accelerating much, and hit the front (and explode) if I am decelerating. In addition, the bombs do not release quickly. I can drop one or two, but then the bombs are detected as being in the way and nothing is dropped for a bit. I can only mount bombs externally without much problem, but even then the bombs don't drop very fast.

Adjusting the decouple speed and drop time helps with those issues, I've found.

I would also like a option in the menu that all guns automaticly point at the target

You can use the FLIR to paint a target with the laser and click 'Turrets' to automatically follow the target.

You can use the FLIR to paint a target with the laser and click 'Turrets' to automatically follow the target.

Thank you this helps in the way I defend it, Now i just need to train a lot to paint the target easy

Has anyone figured out a way to make ships load at a longer range than 9.5 km? I have the physics range in the BDA config to 50 km, but ships only load when I come within 9.5 km of them.

There once was a mod that never unloaded anything in the game. The problem is KSP isn't designed to run like that and it causes some HORRIBLE lag because the game is calculating the physics for EVERYTHING at that point. Outside of that mod which hasnt been supported since last year, I would say no.

Awesome mod :)

I'm trying to create some turrets of my own here, and I'm just wondering about a couple of the parameters. Could someone clarify the following for me?

cannonShellRadius -- Is in meters?

cannonShellPower -- The cs for the module on github says this is 'cannon explosion impulse', is it an arbitrary value or is it a real value measured in N/kN? Does the impulse decrease with the square of distance like a real explosive or is it a constant value all the way to the end of the cannonShellRadius?

Also the explosion animation itself doesn't appear to scale with the cannonShellRadius value? How would I go about making very large explosions. I'm making naval and siege artillery turrets here and it's a bit disconcerting firing a 460mm battleship gun or 800mm railroad gun into my VAB, getting a small explosion, and then watching every building in the whole launch complex go up in flames.

This is even before I try and do something as silly as a nuclear warhead

please halp, this is essential for me to make the Battlestar Galactica and shoot at basestars :)

edit: Also I would like to change the unload distance to be conditional rather than yes/no based on distance. Ideally I want to be able to track a round from the naval gun all the way on it's flight path, and on the bigger ones this can be in excess of 40km. I can't really just set the unload distance to 40km because the game isn't going to like that. Is it possible to do something like:

time = 0
function(object){

[INDENT]while(distance > 5 && time < 5){[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]time++[/INDENT]

[INDENT]}
if(distance > 5 && time > 5){[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]unload object[/INDENT]

[INDENT]}[/INDENT]

}

Basically just want to delay unloading an object for 5 or 10 seconds after it passes the unload range. Possible or no?

Edited by Taurick

At this point all I want is for BahamotoD to give a sign he is still active

He made a new song. Check Soundcloud.

- - - Updated - - -

There once was a mod that never unloaded anything in the game. The problem is KSP isn't designed to run like that and it causes some HORRIBLE lag because the game is calculating the physics for EVERYTHING at that point. Outside of that mod which hasnt been supported since last year, I would say no.

Not just lag. Modern KSP does not load collision beyond 11 km. The ground is litterally not there. Even if you used a mod like that to force hack it, anything beyond 11km on the ground would spontaneously explode the instant you loaded it.

Now, stuff that ISN'T on the ground works just fine, including space vessels and aircraft. And BD will let you do those.

cannonShellRadius -- Is in meters?

Yes

cannonShellPower -- The cs for the module on github says this is 'cannon explosion impulse', is it an arbitrary value or is it a real value measured in N/kN? Does the impulse decrease with the square of distance like a real explosive or is it a constant value all the way to the end of the cannonShellRadius?

It appears to be an arbitrary value. I haven't been able to successfully measure an actual explosive effect.

China Lake and Aberdeen uses these formulas for approximate damage effects: HE is R1/3; blast fragmentation is R1/2; and continuous rod is R (though when it goes past Rlimit it becomes R1/3)

China Lake and Aberdeen uses these formulas for approximate damage effects: HE is R1/3; blast fragmentation is R1/2; and continuous rod is R (though when it goes past Rlimit it becomes R1/3)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little confused on that formula you've given, not sure if you're describing how BDA calculates explosions or if you're giving me a rough guide to how to select an appropriate cannonShellPower value.

R in that formula would be cannonShellRadius?

I'm a little confused on that formula you've given, not sure if you're describing how BDA calculates explosions or if you're giving me a rough guide to how to select an appropriate cannonShellPower value.

R in that formula would be cannonShellRadius?

Err my bad. I should have been clearer and separated the quotes better. You stated that explosive impulse has a falloff equal to its distance squared, which isn't exactly correct. In real life falloff for pK is equal to R (radius from point of impact) to a particular power that depends on the warhead type: HE, blast fragmentation or continuous rod (blast annular fragmentation)... aaaaaaand since I probably just confused you further: pK is probability of kill, which is derived from a formula which includes a J/MJ value for a given target that the warhead has to meet to be minimally effective (and how the term "effective range" is typically determined).

Lastly, BDA doesn't discriminate between HE, BF and CR warheads, and I can't tell if there's any falloff or if it is just an arbitrary cutoff.

Edited by Scoundrel
duh

@Scoundrel: IIRC from the source code it has an R^2 falloff.

Ah, thanks! That's actually quite useful to know. So everything is a blast fragmentation warhead... I can work with that! :D

Is there any chance you might be able to recall if there's a unit of measurement that goes along with that number?

Ah, thanks! That's actually quite useful to know. So everything is a blast fragmentation warhead... I can work with that! :D

Is there any chance you might be able to recall if there's a unit of measurement that goes along with that number?

I recall that on the cfgs it says that the unit is in meters.

But I still don't know what blast power means.

Oh and right now bullet damage uses momentum, it should use energy instead.

Momentum would then be used to define the ricochet angle and chance.

There are a few things like that that should be fixed, like adding drag to the bullets.

Would be a big deal after the AI is finished.

My bad for not reporting this to BahamutoD earlier but I only noticed it when balancing AviatorArsenal weapons.

Edited by tetryds

<snip>

Thanks. I knew the ranges were in meters... it's that blast power config I've sort of become fixated on... you'd think the units would be in joules, but I'm starting to think that its just an arbitrary unit that's converted to heat. Also 1.05/1.1 is likely definitely going to break BDA with the tweaks/fixing of the thermal system, which might be an opportunity to fix the blast calculations so they use some meaningful numbers. :rolleyes:

There are a few things like that that should be fixed, like adding drag to the bullets.

Yeah, I can approximate the G1 ballistic coefficients* for the projectiles, and I have the G1 drag formula with atmospheric correction (for use on planets such as Duna or Eve... yeah I'm thinking of an expansion for battles outside of Kerbin muahahaha!), but I don't think it's something that Baha would be interested in. I was thinking of working with a programmer to make a mod that would work with BDA to expand BDA to include different warhead types and implement drag calculations (and maybe simply give missiles a drag coefficient rather than the constant fiddling) but I'm not sure if it's technically possible. Also, it would be nice to have a variety of gunsights (iron sights, gyro, radar ranging, computer assisted, integral gun ballistics) that could be tied to the tech tree, but I bet Baha would be even less interested in that lol. :D

*the actual numbers are classified and are not something I can obviously publish, but I can get close as long as I "show my work" as they say.

Edited by Scoundrel

I can't tell what effect Baha really want to perform in the plugin, but I can use his existing data to simulate the blast power measurement.

I chose three BDA weapons, M102 Howitzer, Oerlikon Millennium AA and M1 Abrams turret to do my simulation, and according to configs I'd assume that they all fire HE rounds to have high blast power, due to the fact M102 mainly fires HE.

M102:

HEAT M67: TNT or 50/50 amatol, 2.18 kg / cannonShellPower: 7

Oerlikon Millennium AA:

35x228mm HEI: TNT, 112 g (4.0 oz) / cannonShellPower: 2.5

M1 Abrams:

M830A1 HEAT: TNT 1.62 kg (estimated) / cannonShellPower: 8

There's no accurate data of M1 so I selected a few bombs instead for reference, assuming they're using the same or similar formations.

Mk 82: 87 kg equal to TNT / blastPower: 25

Mk 83 JDAM: 202 kg equal to TNT / blastPower: 35

And according to approximate formula Scoundrel provided in #5785 for HE rounds:

Power = m1/3 * K (m is the explosion charge mass equal to TNT)

M102: 7 = 2.181/3 * 5.3985758652032702884175133508456

Oerlikon Millennium AA: 2.5 = 0.1121/3 * 5.1864158335390215062561968559385

Mk 82: 25 = 871/3 * 5.6420066165852906964589469962066

Mk 83 JDAM: 35 = 2021/3 * 5.9650980662360353741728217976801

So that blast power measurement K should be somewhere between 5.18 and 6, and for cannons now, it's predicted to be between 5.18 and 5.4, while for bombs it should be higher. Currently we can use this formula to simulate the power and assume an integral value from the result. And I conclude that

cannonShellPower = m1/3 * K (ranges from 5.18 to 5.4, personally I'd suggest 5.25)

M102: 2.181/3 * 5.25 = 6.8073508491144021052932468284789 ≈ 7

Oerlikon Millennium AA: 0.1121/3 * 5.25 = 2.5306493773839914854347881509834 ≈ 2.5

I think that's close to the fact in BDArmory, and hope this could help those who want to build a turret or fixed cannon.

Edited by Acea

Do drones need a radar or something? I tried making a drone AI enemy with no radar or targeting pod (It only uses sidewinders and hidden vulcans) but it wouldn't launch when I nosedived a plane less than a km in front of it then did a loop. Peace mode was off and they were on opposite teams. Guard mode was on and the AI pilot was on standby. I guess it's more realistic but I'm not sure if its a feature or a bug.

EDIT: Connecting it to a large radar with data link worked although I also practically landed on its runway that time.

Edited by volcanicshrimp

I can't tell what effect Baha really want to perform in the plugin, but I can use his existing data to simulate the blast power measurement.

Ooh, nice attempt. You're just misinterpreting what R is and how it's used... allow me to correct your assumptions.

M102/M119: M1/M760HE 2.1kg t1TNT = 9,700,000J

Rheinmetall GDM-008: 35x228mm HEI 112 g TNT = 526,400J

M256A1: IM HE-T 3.1kg PAX-48 = 18,212,500J

R is the radius from the blast point so our numbers should look like 1/R1/3

M102: 0m= 9,700,000J; 5m= 77,600J; 10m= 9,700J

GMD-008: 0m= 526,400J; 5m= 4,211J; 10m= 526J

M256A1: 0m= 18,212,500J; 5m= 147,700J; 10m= 18,212J

Now if we were using blast fragmentation warheads, our numbers would be based on 1/R1/2

M102: 0m= 9,700,000J; 5m= 338,000J; 10m= 97,000J

GMD-008: 0m= 526,400J; 5m= 21,056J; 10m= 5,264J

M256A1: 0m= 18,212,500J; 5m= 728,500J; 10m= 182,125J

How we convert that to blastDamage... I have no idea lol.:D

Ooh, nice attempt. You're just misinterpreting what R is and how it's used... allow me to correct your assumptions.

I'm just willing to find out how cannonShellPower is related to parameters of real world ammos, for modders to set up weapons more reasonably:)

About how to convert that to blastDamage, basically these are all defined in source codes. You can check that here

Edited by Acea