[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Funny I run both mods a lot and there is no problems. Except for the 30mm not attaching to the skillful tank turret. Still no idea why that happens. Other wise it works fine on skillful armor dosent work again BD projectiles but that's to be expected.

Edited by Tacotown99

This, and what rotors were used?

The intakes are atmospheric scoops from KSPInterstellar, and the rotors are from KAX. I'm not sure that KAX is entirely compatible with FAR though. My chopper would stall and flip out with anything more than 10-15 degrees AoA.

About the HUD glitching with IDSkillful: This mod isn't incompatible per se with IDSkillful. Nothing should conflict - its just a separate system. Any glitching you get with IDSkillful has nothing to do with this mod, or the combination. Ask ID about it.

To anyone who has had problems with missile stability in FAR - I think I fixed it.

Try replacing BahaTurret.dll with this one: BahaTurret.dll

All I did was counteract the crazy spin that happens to the missiles when they try to turn sharply in FAR.

Source:

void AntiSpin()
{
Vector3 spin = Vector3.Project(rigidbody.angularVelocity, part.transform.forward);
rigidbody.angularVelocity -= spin;
}

If it works out for you as it did for me, I'll release it as a hotfix update.

Edited by BahamutoD

How about a GSh-23 cannon? It was used on quite a few Russian aircraft in both turreted and fixed mounts. The turreted version could fire chaff and flares (in the turreted version from Tu-22M), and it has a nifty design with two alternating barrels.

1920px-GSh-23L_cannon.jpg

I'd suggest a stackable 0.625m turret mount (for bomber tailguns) and a fixed version for fighters.

Projectiles ricochet only when they impact in specific ways and to certain things. Steel core rounds are much more likely to ricochet off of hard surfaces and will do so at anything below around 80 in relation to the path of the projectile. Tanks fire two main types with specialty rounds for certain occasions. AP rounds are kinetic penetrators designed for taking out other tanks and armor and consist of a sabot surrounding a tungsten or depleted uranium penetrator these will not ricochet since they are harder than just about anything and have enough momentum to punch through atleast some of anything. The other rounds are HE (us army uses a hybrid HEAT High explosive Anti-tank) or high explosive which won't rich ocher since it wille xplode

You are a bit misinformed there.

Former M1A1 tanker here.

So the M256A 120mm gun on the Abrams M829 and M830 rounds are APFSDSDU rounds and HEAT. The APFSDSDU round is Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot Depleted Uranium round, DU rounds will richochet or skip off armor, they are used because they are the densest projectile out there. The Russian use Tungstun core rounds because they are cheaper, but not as dense, they compensate by fireing them at a MUCH higher muzzel velocity then the 120mm rounds of the US and most NATO nations. And the Russians have developed armor now that is designed to help make the APDU rounds skip off of their tanks. The newer T-90 and T-80s have the Kontact-5 reactive armor system which is quite ingenious and very effective in tests.

The HEAT or High Explosive Anti-Tank round is a simple concept of taking a shaped charge and melting a copper lining cone into a projectile of superheated copper that will melt its way through most armor in the world without the need for raw brute force to penetrate. So it can be fired by a MUCH lower muzzel velocity gun and still have the same penetration level at all ranges and all angles of attack.

There are some other rounds still out there, like the HESH round, which is a High Explosive Squash Head round which hits a tank and flattens itself against the outside armor and explodes, sending bits of the interiour armor into the tanks crew compartment. Or in simple terms it turns the inside of a tank into a blender by creating spalling (my spelling is horrible today)

Then there is the plain and simple HE round, and that is just as it says, High Explosive.

Modern tank armor isn't as simple as tank armor back in WWII. Now you have Reactive armor, spaced armor, ceramic composite armor, combinations of any of the privious armor. A modern battle tank armor is rated in thousands of millimeters of armor depending on the type of round hitting it.

The old T-72MU turret armor front is rated around 750-1250mm thick depending on where you hit it with a Kenetic Penetrator (KE) round.

I could go into MUCH more depth but I dont have that kind of time.

Funny I run both mods a lot and there is no problems. Except for the 30mm not attaching to the skillful tank turret. Still no idea why that happens. Other wise it works fine on skillful armor dosent work again BD projectiles but that's to be expected.

This is what I mean by not compatible. They both work individually but not together. They may cause crashing or a string of errors in your output.log.

To anyone who has had problems with missile stability in FAR - I think I fixed it.

Try replacing BahaTurret.dll with this one: BahaTurret.dll

All I did was counteract the crazy spin that happens to the missiles when they try to turn sharply in FAR.

If it works out for you as it did for me, I'll release it as a hotfix update.

So far it doesn't work for me, the crazy spinning is gone I think, but the default turn rates seem to be not enough to make accurate adjustments in FAR.

When SideWinders are off bore they don't even turn 90, let alone 10 degrees towards me. However when on bore 3 out of 10 times missiles will hit the target with default settings in FAR.

I have fixed this by just jacking up everything between 250-400 turn rates, then you'll get 7 out of 10 hits. Even then FAR is doing something funky. My guess is that it has to due with the fact there is no thrust vector? Maybe add that in combo with default turn settings and viola working missile!

ofc that might be completely pointless since the default turn rates are doing the same thing a thrust vector would. But maybe having two turn forces at the front and back might help. Thing is doing that might make the missiles pointlessly complicated, and introduce strange behaviors.

So far it doesn't work for me, the crazy spinning is gone I think, but the default turn rates seem to be not enough to make accurate adjustments in FAR.

When SideWinders are off bore they don't even turn 90, let alone 10 degrees towards me. However when on bore 3 out of 10 times missiles will hit the target with default settings in FAR.

I have fixed this by just jacking up everything between 250-400 turn rates, then you'll get 7 out of 10 hits. Even then FAR is doing something funky. My guess is that it has to due with the fact there is no thrust vector? Maybe add that in combo with default turn settings and viola working missile!

ofc that might be completely pointless since the default turn rates are doing the same thing a thrust vector would. But maybe having two turn forces at the front and back might help. Thing is doing that might make the missiles pointlessly complicated, and introduce strange behaviors.

What kind of turn rate do you expect out of a sidewinder? The real one can't pull that tight of a turn. Actually a F-16C can turn inside of an AIM-9X, which is one of the counters to a missile.

@Hodo, I'm expecting atleast 10-40 degrees of turn, which can be really sharp when compared to real life. But isn't crazy. Also even when on bore with default settings I was having problems with accuracy. Out should at atleast half the time. However I fixed the issue by modifying the turn rates a bit. They work fine for me now and hit atleast half the time.

When I have the missile upwards, they are a bit more accurate.

@Hodo, I'm expecting atleast 10-40 degrees of turn, which can be really sharp when compared to real life. But isn't crazy. Also even when on bore with default settings I was having problems with accuracy. Out should at atleast half the time. However I fixed the issue by modifying the turn rates a bit. They work fine for me now and hit atleast half the time.

OK I was thinking you were talking like 60-90deg turns. I havent really had a chance to test this latest version.

How fast are you flying when you fire the missile? Remember that FAR has special effects at transonic speeds and I added in a control authority factor where if it is going too slow or too fast from optimal speed, turn rate suffers.

Wow, that really explains to me why my hellfires and Mavericks were having some trouble. Yea I'm ussually flying between 150-200 m/s. The default thrust must not be enough to catch up to the optimal speed range. That or I've modified my Missiles to much and I should start default and climb my way up.

Wow, i love this mod! great job on balancing it all and making it fun to use, at first i figured it would be an OP mod where a single bullet would destroy an entire craft, rendering the remaining 1199 bullets useless, but thats not the case at all. ive come to love this mod and its now part of the mod list i must have before playing the next version of KSP. thank you for taking your time to develop these mods (i also saw your adjustable landing gears) keep up the great work!

Is there an option to lock turrets forward (i.e. the hidden gatling) so they could be used for fixed nose guns on fighters?

The hidden gatling is already fixed, and the others can now have their pitch and yaw range adjusted in the VAB and SPH. If you set these to zero they will be fixed.