[1.1] NavUtilities, ft. HSI & Instrument Landing System

kujuman

Which option? I'd be willing to test this out; I'm sure I'm not the only one.

In

GameData\KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\settings.cfg

The line to edit is

UseBlizzy78ToolBar = False

Change "False" to "True"

Save the settings.cfg file and start KSP

Alright - I'm verifying that NavUtilities 0.5_RC_3 does not work in KSP 1.0.2 while using blizzy78's Toolbar 1.7.9. Took an aircraft out on a parts testing mission this evening, performed the mission, was getting ready to go home. In Staging View, when I selected "Show HSI Window" (thinking this option would bring up the ILS interface), my entire flight UI disappeared from view (kinda like what happens when you push F2) with the exception of the fuel readouts and buttons in the upper-right hand corner. Pushing ESC wouldn't even bring up the normal menu options (resume, revert, etc.).

The other parts of the mod (runway and glideslope selection, customizable runways and so forth) appear to be functional as menus in as much as I could tell. But, without the ILS interface, there's no way to be certain about that.

Certainly willing to perform additional tests if y'all need me to.

Alright - I'm verifying that NavUtilities 0.5_RC_3 does not work in KSP 1.0.2 while using blizzy78's Toolbar 1.7.9. Took an aircraft out on a parts testing mission this evening, performed the mission, was getting ready to go home. In Staging View, when I selected "Show HSI Window" (thinking this option would bring up the ILS interface), my entire flight UI disappeared from view (kinda like what happens when you push F2) with the exception of the fuel readouts and buttons in the upper-right hand corner. Pushing ESC wouldn't even bring up the normal menu options (resume, revert, etc.).

The other parts of the mod (runway and glideslope selection, customizable runways and so forth) appear to be functional as menus in as much as I could tell. But, without the ILS interface, there's no way to be certain about that.

Certainly willing to perform additional tests if y'all need me to.

Okay, thanks for testing that. I'll add it to the list of things I'll check when I get home.

I tested the same version of NavUtilities tonight when I was flying a rocket and I can confirm capi3101's findings. Enabled use of blizzy78's toolbar by NavUtilities settings.cfg. Tried to show the HSI Window and most of the UI disappeared except for the stock toolbar.

Myself, I'm still using an old makeshift ILS trick until NavUtilities is updated. You put a rover out on the runway, then drive it off the ocean side of the runway, set the parking brake, re-label it as a base and call it KSC 27. Put a second one on the landward side of the runway, set the parking brake, relabel it as a base and call it KSC 09. Drive a third one one kilometer inland from where you parked KSC 09, set the parking brake, relabel it as a base and call it "Meatball - 1 km". That's all you need; the three points will show you if you're properly aligned for as long as you can keep them in sight, and then you can use either KSC 09 or KSC 27 as your "inner marker"; you compare your distance to the marker to your altimeter reading to see if you're too high or too low (the formula is altimeter = 100 +(100*distance); this would give you something like a 5.7 degree glide slope). You can set up additional markers on the landward end of the Runway at five kilometer intervals to assist with the determination of lateral alignment. If you identify how far each marker is to KSC 09, you can use any one of them to determine your ideal altimeter reading; you just add that distance to the distance to the marker (for example, if you're 2 kilometers from the 10 kilometer marker, you want to be at roughly 100 + (100 * (2+10)) = 1300 meters. The system works reasonably well; the time consuming part is setting it up and making sure the markers are in the right spots.

You could do this with flags too, though I find that flags have an annoying tendency to disappear spontaneously. Another advantage of classifying the markers as bases is that they can be seen from orbit; if you have a mod like Trajectories, this gives you a place to put your bullseye prior to re-entry.

Mechjeb's spaceplane function will set a target at a configurable glideslope for ILS guidance.. it's not as good as a real HSI though. It does however do this without engaging the autopilot, which is good because MJ2 is completely incapable of dealing with atmospheres at this point (they're working on it) - true for both stock and FAR.

@Ser:

Software License: © 2014. All rights reserved.

Permission is granted to any current, former, or future members of the KSP community (e.g.; non-professional modification makers and forum members) to update, maintain, use portions of the code, and/or release derivatives provided that 1) the new work is solely to be used as a modification for Kerbal Space Program (and future versions thereof) and 2) the new work is freely distributed and may not be sold or exchanged.

Artwork License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

According to the author you should be able to release an unofficial update in this thread without violating the license. As long as you state it's not yours (which you did), it's only used as a mod for KSP and you don't sell it you should be fine.

I'm not a moderator though...

As kujuman is not responding I've decided to stop this torment.

The Unofficial build for KSP 1.0.2

Source code included though the only change made by me is the stock toolbar support fix

License included and can be found in this thread's OP.

Installation:

Put contents of the NavUtilities/GameData from the archive into your KSP/GameData folder.

The HSI may be undraggable if FMRS GUI is active at the same time (it typically gets hidden behind the HSI). Don't know why that happens, seems to be FMRS issue. Just close FMRS GUI and everything should be fine.

Since I am not an author of this mod I cannot guarantee further support.

Respect ducks. Fly safe.

P.S. Should author of the mod complain about this, just PM me and I'll remove it.

Edited by Ser

@Ser: Your build doesn't work on my system. As soon as I click the NavUtilities stock toolbar button in flight view, all GUI elements disappear. When switching to IVA, the IVA view is black, and I see the NavUtilities configuration GUI - that is, until I toggle the "show overlay" option, upon which all GUI disappears. Maybe I am missing a dependency? The KSP.log gets flooded with this:

[ERR 15:22:23.974] Matrix stack full depth reached

[ERR 15:22:23.975] Matrix stack full depth reached

[ERR 15:22:23.975] Matrix stack full depth reached

[EXC 15:22:23.975] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

NavUtilLib.Graphics.drawMovedImage (UnityEngine.Material mat, UnityEngine.RenderTexture screen, Vector2 bottomLeftPercent, Boolean useCenterOfMat, Boolean fitToScreen)

NavUtilLib.DisplayData.DrawHSI (UnityEngine.RenderTexture screen, Single aspectRatio)

NavUtilLib.NavUtilLibApp.DrawGauge (UnityEngine.RenderTexture screen)

NavUtilLib.NavUtilLibApp.OnWindow (Int32 WindowID)

UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

After removing RasterPropMonitor, I have some weird issues in IVA (but at least it's not black anymore): navutiliva.png

Edited by mic_e

@Ser: Your build doesn't work on my system. As soon as I click the NavUtilities stock toolbar button in flight view, all GUI elements disappear. When switching to IVA, the IVA view is black, and I see the NavUtilities configuration GUI - that is, until I toggle the "show overlay" option, upon which all GUI disappears. Maybe I am missing a dependency?

That's strange, I cannot reproduce it whatever I do. May be one of the mods you use has some interference? I would recommend you to move all other mods except for toolbar and RPM to a folder other than KSP/GameData to see if there's any incompatibility.

EDIT: I got it, the same exception when I renamed some textures in the mod's folders. So it seems that you simply miss some files. Have you tried to redownload and to reinstall the NavUtils? Make sure your path to the folder with dll files is KSP\GameData\KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments because the mod is path-sensible.

Edited by Ser

Are Toolbar and/or RPM hard requirements? Do I need to install the "official" release and overwrite it with your patch?

I'm on Linux, so maybe case-sensitivity is the issue?

Have removed both toolbar and RPM and it still worked without your issues at least.

You do not need original files. Everything necessary is inside . So what I've done is not a patch but fully functional rebuild. I've used the latest toolbar dll though.

Have no idea on Linux, I've tested the mod only for Win. Looked through the source code, case seems to be OK. POst your KSP.log and KSP_Data/output_log.txt please. I'm sure if the mod have failed to load something then it could tell us about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.