Your self-imposed rules for .24

Kobymaru

1. Leave no Kerbal behind.

2. NO MODS. (especially MechJeb!)

3. Always plan missions prior to launch. Never throw stuff together and call it an official mission.

4. No Quicksaves. EVER. Reverts allowed.

5. Always make sure crew has a way to get back home.

Probably going to be the same as usual, really:

-Frequent Quicksaving, but NO loading except in the case of bad bugs

-Any kerbal that can be rescued, must be rescued. No respawning, anyone who dies remains dead, and rescue missions must also be manned (more for hilarity than anything else, really..)

-No suicide missions, any kerbal sent into space must have a reasonable chance of returning. They can be sent on long-term missions or accidentally stranded, but they must have provisions. (I'm not using any actual life-support mod in any way, it's just more of a roleplaying scenario, really. Space stations will need to be resupplied periodically, and food packages must be dropped to any kerbal stranded anywhere until he can be rescued. I've yet to figure out how long I'll give them, want to find a good balance between challenge and frustration)

-No mods except Kerbal Engineer, Kerbal Alarm Clock, KAS for in-orbit strutting/fuel pipes, and graphical mods.

-The big 3 are considered to be overseers for their own departments; Jeb for rocketry and stations, Bill for avionics and science, and Bob for surface landings/exploration, rovers and bases. They're clearly too important to risk on dangerous experimental missions, so their role in the space program is to sit around at the KSC eating big dinners, and hitting golf balls off the roof of the VAB. Again, mostly a roleplay thing, plus it lets other kerbals get their time in the spotlight.

-No exploitation of anything I consider to be unfair, like infiniglide, intake stacking, etc. I'll also tone back a bit on asparagus-staged pancakes of ships. No hard rules for that, but I want to vary my designs a little bit.

-Any EVA fuel used must be deducted from the ship's monopropellant stores (unless it actually does that already? I haven't checked..). Also, no getting out and pushing, except for very minor changes

-A planet or moon is not considered "done" until there is a coffee shop, complete with little tables with umbrellas, on the surface

Guest Fyre Flare

1. Hack science points to get Sandbox with budgets and science.

2. Screw Expendable rockets.

3. Everything will be put up with sts-style shuttles.

4. No messin' around.

5. Kerbals won't die.

EDIT: No Mods mods must die.

Edited by Fyre Flare

I have a lot of house-rules and most of them have been mentioned here already. One however hasn't:

Materials Lab and the Goo Container can only be used on a manned craft.

Makes it more valuable to send low tech probes with only little instrumentation to the inner Kerbol system (outer system needs RTGs because solar panels don't work there).

I did not think of the RTG thing so I might barrow that one, but your goo and mat bay is kind of what I am going for. While I can send them to other places they either must come back or wait on said planetoid until a crew can retrieve the science, there will be no data for sending on those two items. Also I forgot that surface samples will be worth no points for transmitting, since I feel the "scientists" back home would want to see these and run all kinds of tests (Like if you dip it in milk will it make it soggy?).

Rule #7

- No balance-altering mods.

Only one for me: Stock Rebalance Project. Gets rid of a lot of the imbalance naturally found in stock KSP. Every part has its niche now, which really enhanced gameplay for me. And luckily it'll need no wait time, as it just needs Module Manager (and I doubt 0.24 will break that).

1. No mods.

2. Start from the beginning of career mode and work your way to the end.

3. After that, reenact popular movies, do cool things in space, and launch Russian style misisons

spm_soviet_moon_landing.jpg

Edited by Souper

1. First find out what 0.24 actually contains and how parts, costs, etc. has been rebalanced
  2. Then decide what additional rules, mods, etc. will be wanted
  3. No silly constraints based on 40 year old technology from some mythical planet called 'Earth'; KSP is its own universe
  4. Enjoy career mode until it gets boring
  5. Update my tutorial for 0.24 with low-techtree parts for those who need career-mode
  6. Build a probe-led, low-cost infrastructure in sandbox (probably)
  7. Keep reminding LethalDose that "SSTO" does not mean 'Spaceplane', because I don't think he really minds being nudged*
  8. Keep reminding everyone that there's nothing ugly or impossible about asparagus more than any other technique

[*And if you do mind I apologise in advance; I'm only kidding around]

First, the ones I mostly tried to abide by for .235:

1. No mods.

2. No quicksaves. Reverting is totally fine. Quitting/throttling then going back to KSC so that I revert to the last autosave is totally fine.

3. No Kerbal left behind. Even if it takes me 30 years and the entire tech tree, I will rescue them.

4. No suicide missions. Every Kerbal must have at least some chance of returning without a rescue mission a long time later.

5. If there is a risk that the Kerbal might (They need some chance as per rule #4) be trapped and need rescuing but I won't have the parts/skills to rescue them, send a really courageous really stupid Kerbal.

The one I first planned to abide by in .235 but ditched because of how much more reliable it was to just recover one Kerbal than a probe with tons of science instruments:

6. Send a probe to get all (Besides crew/eva report) of the possible science from space before sending a Kerbal to get crew/eva reports+land. (Now that money is a thing I'll want to recover the science instruments for money, so manned missions won't make recovery any easier)

New ones for .24:

7. Kerbal safety is a top priority. As a result of this, once I am sufficiently far into the tech tree no Kerbal should re-enter in a command pod/science lab/hitchhiker unit. All of them are to re-enter in a command seat attached to a parachute. Also some tiny fuel tank/rocket to de-orbit them.

8. Unlike .235, go interplanetary before I've unlocked the entire tech tree.

9. Attempt to do things efficiently. In .235 I used an asparagus monstrosity for everything (Well, after I discovered struts and asparagus I used the asparagus monstrosity for everything. Before that I still generally used the same launcher for most things, but that launcher kept improving because a) it wasn't very good, and B) I couldn't make it that good because I didn't know that struts existed). In .24, I will design the launcher for the payload and not use too much overkill.

10. Rule 8 will stop applying if I either make a godly SSTO capable of lifting anything OR a godly not-SSTO but all parts are still recovered.

11. Every piece of debris I leave in space represents funds I could have in my pocket. Recover as much as possible and don't leave things floating in space for no reason.

12. When returning from interplanetary missions, orbit Kerbin then de-orbit. No more slamming into it at high speeds. This is to ensure that I return as close as possible to KSC.

13. Rule 12 does not apply to the Kerbal-returners of rule 7. Those things should be as cheap as possible and the return is more focused on the Kerbal and the science they are holding than the funds.

14. Rules 11 and 12 do not apply to extremely cheap probes.

* The first rule of KSP .24 is that you do not talk about KSP .24

* The second rule of KSP .24 is that you do not talk about KSP .24

* Baby steps. Baby steps onto the launchpad, baby steps igniting the engines, baby steps into the sky… AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

* There's no crying in KSP.

* Ain't no Mechjeb in 1969, I'm head to toe legit.

* Do or do not, there is no try.

* You gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

I want to see how it plays before setting up any rules.

I also want to nudge some nut right in his face. :wink: And no I don't mind, so long as it's playful.

Also:

Only one for me: Stock Rebalance Project. Gets rid of a lot of the imbalance naturally found in stock KSP. Every part has its niche now, which really enhanced gameplay for me. And luckily it'll need no wait time, as it just needs Module Manager (and I doubt 0.24 will break that).

You know they've already announced they're re-balancing several parts, right? Esp. the Mainsail & LFB that started that whole mess.

Edited by LethalDose

Rules? None, really, aside from getting FAR installed ASAP. I'll probably play stock for a time to check it out until the sheer silliness of a 1/11th scale solar system gets to me, then I'll see if mods have caught up. Might even make some modifications to stock myself.

Yup. My only rule so far for .24 is no quicksaving/quickloading/flightreverting ever. Beyond that just my usual self imposed rules I have that *disclaimer* I play to have fun my way and am in no way saying this is the "right' way to play or that it is the superior way to play. It's just how I play, and I hope you play whichever way is funnest for you *end of disclaimer* I always play by: no kerbal left behind, perma death, and only auxiliary mods like chatterer, alarm clock, visual enhancements, and KER. I'm a mod guy, and when 1.0 comes out I will be in mod galore but as KSP is a WIP I want to experience new additions to gameplay mechanics and parts fresh. In other words, when there are damaging effects of entering an atmosphere to steep I want to experience them first in stock, even though stuff like DRE looks awesome. Come 1.0, however, and I will go Burger King on KSP and modify it till its perfectly "my way" :) So those are my rules, hype is in exponential growth right now, can't wait!!

I'll use the rules I currently use for myself--

1. No mods; only stock. Not even MechJeb.

2. No using Sandbox mode to test vessels before I use the design; if I'm confident in a vessel design, I'll run it back and risk the consequences

3. Science is more important than Kerbal life, but getting both is better.

4. No quicksave/reload. I do it right or I suffer for it.

Additionally, another goal I'm going to set for myself going into 0.24 is to actually get good at landing back on the KSC instead of lazily plummeting into the ocean, since there's some real value in it now.

I'm turning off both "Revert to..." options immediately. I love the feature for sandbox, but I feel like it'd reduce the importance of reputation even further by making it impossible to lose Kerbals. Quicksave, however, is staying on, because I like to experiment.

Also, I'm installing FAR, procedural fairings, and Editor Extensions the instant they become compatible. I hate the stock aerodynamics, I hate building huge rockets (unheard of in KSP, I know!), and I hate building ugly rockets. These three mods will be integral in my space program for correcting all of those wrongs. That and Environmental Visual Enhancements with Astronomer's pack. Since I'll be running 64-bit (16 gigs of ram, yum!) I won't be installing Active Texture Management.

Edited by AlternNocturn

1st time through career.

1. No quicksaves/quickloads

2. Permadeath on Bill, Jeb and Bob

3. 100% stock

4. No kerbal is left behind

2nd time through career.

1. DRE, FAR, TAC LS, and any other mod that makes the game harder

2. Some mods that have large amounts of parts (KW)

3. Mechjeb is a big no no

4. All of the prior rules except for #3

All Kerbals get a turn, and no Kerbal will fly two consecutive missions.

No reverting flights (And I have edited the save game to prevent this).

Nuclear Devices are not to be fired in, or disposed of on Kerbin. (Meaning I can't crash a Nuclear Powered Rocket into the surface of Kerbin)

No Space Debris. If it goes up it must come down.

Must Unlock each tier before moving on to the Next Tier.

Must provide additional living space for at least an additional 1/2 crew capacity (Meaning if it's a long duration mission with 4 Kerbals I need at least space for 6)

No Kerbal Goes Alone. If it's a long duration mission there must be at least 2 Kerbals.

Long Duration missions are missions that extend beyond the length of a Minmus round trip. (About 4 days)

No Fuel is to be stored on any crewed station or base.

Adequate escape vehicles must be present on any manned station. (Adequate meaning that each crew member must have a means of escape)

All Tech Nodes of the current Tier must be unlocked before progressing to the next tier.

After any Failed Launch/Landing involving a Kerbal a minimum of 3 successful unmanned launches must be completed before the next Kerballed launch.

If a Kerbal Dies during a launch/landing due to failed equipment a minimum of 5 successful launches must be completed prior to the next Kerballed Launch.

Mods such as TACLS, FAR and DRE will be in full effect.

1. Quicksaves and Quickloads are exactly as legal, non-cheaty, and perfectly acceptable for me as always. The Kraken shall not rule me.

2. Before I start playing "for real", kill a ton of Kerbals in expendable rockets to loosen up a little and see how far the reputation bar goes in the negative direction.

3. No MechJeb. Not really a self-imposed rule as much as a complete lack of interest or motivation to use MechJeb. I've never used it, and hardly see a reason I'll need it.

4. The Kerbals must not all be stuck twiddling their thumbs for more than one week without something being launched, crew rotated, or some other major event. Previously this was one Kerbal day, but that ended up making me clear the tech tree and run out of things to do so fast (in Kerbal time) that I never got to send anything to other planets before the new update was on the verge of coming out. I've still never visited most of the Kerbolar system :\

5. It is officially "okay" to ditch fairings, structural pylons, nosecones, and other minor structural parts. While I know the budget system will help me make these sorts of calls, I do think I am and risk continuing to be too much of a pack rat about recovering everything, and I may end up spending extra money launching big complicated ships to ensure full recovery when it would actually be cheaper to have a few things be expendable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.