[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

Oh look nice, and there is a recompile for KAS to update it to 0.24. No official update yet but maybe it fixes some problems.

Thanks.

I know about the recompile. The problem is that there's more than one recompile, and I don't want to get into the situation where I've got the mod working just fine for one of them, but broken for the others. (Also, I haven't been able to get any of them to work properly yet, so that's holding me up as well.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, real life kind of took most of my attention for the last month or so, and this mod got mostly forgotten about.

However, I had some time today to fiddle around with it, and I have a version that seems to be working with the 32-bit KAS repack. It also includes the new textures and meshes for the equipment (yes, including the hideous orange texture for the interior heat probe. Promise I'll change it by the next update!)

Anyway, the updated version can be found here.

• 2 weeks later...
With the updated version the AKI-R01 Retroreflector is exploding when placed now. Both the others work find and no longer fall over :)

I had that occur once doing my testing as well, but I thought I resolved it. What mods are you running?

Edited by AlbertKermin

Here comes the mod list :) The regular release all 3 work fine, only have the problem with the RetroReflector in the updated version so went back to that one for now, but can change if you need for testing.

Toolbar, Active Texture Management, Adaptive Docking Node / Universal Docking Ports (plugin and associated parts), Atmospheric Sound Enhancement, Aviation Lights, [aWolf seporator thrusters, don't recall the official name], Baha ExtraPlenetary Lanchpad and Retractable Engine parts, Beastly Science, CactEye Telescope, Community Resource Pack, Crew Manifest, Davon Throttle Control System, Deadly Reentry, Default Throttle, Action Groups Extended, Distant Objects, DMagic Contract Science, DMagic Orbital Science, Environmental Visual Enhancements, Extraplanetary Launchpads, FASA Launch Clamps, FAR, Fine Print, FireSpitter, Goodspeed Pumps, Heavy Ion Drives, Eavesdrop, KSPI (lite, 12.x), Ion Hybread Pack, KAS, Kerbal Foundries wheel pack, Kerbal Construction Time, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Kerbal Mechanics, KAS Supply Containers, Smart Parts, KSP Calender, SpaceX parts, Lack Luster Labs, Infernal Robotics, MechJeb, [Cargo bays by Tal, parts back I forget the official name], Not Enough Struts, NovaPunch, Open Resource System, Tweakable Wheels, Precious Metals, Procedural Fairings, Quantum Struts Continued, Radial Engine Mounts, RCS Build Aid, Real Chutes, Remote Tech 2, Romfarer Lazors and robotic arms pack, Rover Science, SCANSat, Select Root, Space Plane Plus, Stage Recovery, Station Science, Surface Lights, Tarsier Space Tech, TAC Life Support, TAC Self Destruct, Tac Fuel Balancer, TreeLoader, Alternative Resource Panel, Tweakable Everything, Tweak Scale, Karbonite, MKS, OKS, Pack Rat

Here comes the mod list :) The regular release all 3 work fine, only have the problem with the RetroReflector in the updated version so went back to that one for now, but can change if you need for testing.

Toolbar, Active Texture Management, Adaptive Docking Node / Universal Docking Ports (plugin and associated parts), Atmospheric Sound Enhancement, Aviation Lights, [aWolf seporator thrusters, don't recall the official name], Baha ExtraPlenetary Lanchpad and Retractable Engine parts, Beastly Science, CactEye Telescope, Community Resource Pack, Crew Manifest, Davon Throttle Control System, Deadly Reentry, Default Throttle, Action Groups Extended, Distant Objects, DMagic Contract Science, DMagic Orbital Science, Environmental Visual Enhancements, Extraplanetary Launchpads, FASA Launch Clamps, FAR, Fine Print, FireSpitter, Goodspeed Pumps, Heavy Ion Drives, Eavesdrop, KSPI (lite, 12.x), Ion Hybread Pack, KAS, Kerbal Foundries wheel pack, Kerbal Construction Time, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Kerbal Mechanics, KAS Supply Containers, Smart Parts, KSP Calender, SpaceX parts, Lack Luster Labs, Infernal Robotics, MechJeb, [Cargo bays by Tal, parts back I forget the official name], Not Enough Struts, NovaPunch, Open Resource System, Tweakable Wheels, Precious Metals, Procedural Fairings, Quantum Struts Continued, Radial Engine Mounts, RCS Build Aid, Real Chutes, Remote Tech 2, Romfarer Lazors and robotic arms pack, Rover Science, SCANSat, Select Root, Space Plane Plus, Stage Recovery, Station Science, Surface Lights, Tarsier Space Tech, TAC Life Support, TAC Self Destruct, Tac Fuel Balancer, TreeLoader, Alternative Resource Panel, Tweakable Everything, Tweak Scale, Karbonite, MKS, OKS, Pack Rat

Oh, good greif! And I thought I used a lot of mods. :)

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is yet (my own tests have it attaching to the ground just fine, but not acting as a science experiment!), but while looking through the code, I caught that "model.mu" file for the retroreflector was misspelled in the update. You might try fixing it, see if that helps any.

Edited by AlbertKermin

Hi,

First off, I really like your mod! My first 0.24.2 Munar landing included a US-KAS container loaded up with your science experiments:

4YCxnfwl.png

Anyway, one thing which irritated me slightly was that the Ion Detector kept falling over (and sliding down slopes) while the Heat Probe stuck into the ground wherever it was dropped. I tried playing with the configs, but couldn't get the Ion Detector to "stick" to the surface in the same way - any hints please?

Keep up the great work :)

- Micha.

KSP 0.24.2 x64 Debian Jessie

Hi,

First off, I really like your mod! My first 0.24.2 Munar landing included a US-KAS container loaded up with your science experiments:

http://i.imgur.com/4YCxnfwl.png

Anyway, one thing which irritated me slightly was that the Ion Detector kept falling over (and sliding down slopes) while the Heat Probe stuck into the ground wherever it was dropped. I tried playing with the configs, but couldn't get the Ion Detector to "stick" to the surface in the same way - any hints please?

Keep up the great work :)

- Micha.

KSP 0.24.2 x64 Debian Jessie

Unfortunately, as I learned while developing this mod, the only way to get something to stick to the ground is to have it positioned correctly in Blender when the part is being made.

Be glad it wasn't the bug I had while making this- I ended up with a retroreflector on a suborbital trajectory on Minimus :)

What version of the mod are you using? V0.11 is better on the not falling over, but the retroreflector on it is buggy.

Oh, good greif! And I thought I used a lot of mods. :)

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is yet (my own tests have it attaching to the ground just fine, but not acting as a science experiment!), but while looking through the code, I caught that "model.mu" file for the retroreflector was misspelled in the update. You might try fixing it, see if that helps any.

It's all because of you talented modders making awesome mods ;)

I'll try checking that model.mu thing and see if it helps and let you know if it fixes things. :)

Unfortunately, as I learned while developing this mod, the only way to get something to stick to the ground is to have it positioned correctly in Blender when the part is being made.

Be glad it wasn't the bug I had while making this- I ended up with a retroreflector on a suborbital trajectory on Minimus :)

Lol! Indeed - that would have been a "KSC; we have a problem!" moment.. so are you planning to redo the part for a future version, or would that break saves? (I know very little of modelling)

What version of the mod are you using? V0.11 is better on the not falling over, but the retroreflector on it is buggy.

Afraid I can't remember - whatever the latest was at the time. On Kerbin it was good, but on the Mun it just kept falling over even on the flattest terrain nearby.

Lol! Indeed - that would have been a "KSC; we have a problem!" moment.. so are you planning to redo the part for a future version, or would that break saves? (I know very little of modelling)

Afraid I can't remember - whatever the latest was at the time. On Kerbin it was good, but on the Mun it just kept falling over even on the flattest terrain nearby.

That would probably be V0.10, then. The heat probe was the only part in that version that actually stuck to the ground- the retro-reflector just didn't fall over as often, because it had a wider base.

V0.11 has fixed the ground attachment problem, but it added a few others, so I'm not sure whether you would want to upgrade to it. I'm thinking it breaks saves, though.

Edited by AlbertKermin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
How do you use the Ion detector? It keeps telling me that it can't collect data or some such.

At the moment, you have to initiate experiment while carrying iit on your back. Then you get the data from it, and ONLY then you can drop it. Those things tend to be very fragile, and break from a slightest blows.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...