[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

10 minutes ago, CitizenVeen said:

Is that realistic? Wouldn't any debris burn up at even much lower velocities?

Still looking how to set the distance multiplier

You can set it to whatever you feel is appropriate. It's supposed to be the velocity at which you start having to worry about things burning up. It's the low range. Also, keep in mind that unfocused stages aren't deleted until they drop to a fairly low altitude but they still build up speed (since no atmospheric physics is applied, but gravity physics is) so you should probably set it higher than normal.

In the Config.txt file in the GameData/StageRecovery folder there's a setting called DistanceOverride. Set it to 1 or 0.95 or something along those lines. The default is -1 (which means "calculate the distance").

2 hours ago, casper88 said:

could you extend the recovery option to recover vehicles in atmosphere if you leave them?

cheers

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but this should work for vessels you leave in atmosphere (on Kerbin). For instance, if you detach a small plane from a large plane and fly the small plane around, the large plane will get recovered once it gets too far away.

1 hour ago, casper88 said:

i mean, pressing esc and going back to space centre; when it is orange (and with no reloading options or reverting) SR doesn't recover the ship.

thanks

I made an issue on GitHub to remind me to take a look into this.

In other news, I've uploaded 1.6.3 which fixes the issues people were seeing with kerbals in vessel on Kerbin and might also support MechJeb as a valid control source for powered recovery. It's also uploaded to Space Dock and should hopefully be on CKAN in a day or two. If someone makes a header image for SpaceDock I'll use it, otherwise it's going to be without one for a little while.

Edited by magico13

This mod has quickly become a favorite, very nicely done.

Only had one issue so far, and that's when I was re-reimbursed to the tune of 9 million kredits after a mission went bad (it was a cheapo ship too). I have VOID, which has a transaction log, which I checked and it was filled with page after page of 'VesselRecovery' entries all occurring at the exact same time for like $7,000 each, or some low amount. Was a definite one off event though, as I've used it a lot before and since, with no other issues. Could be something else was interacting with the mod, since I have a lot of other mods installed and conflicts are frequent. Sadly, this was a while ago, and that save game has be scrapped, otherwise I could provide more info.

Anyway, just stopping by to pickup the latest version. Definitely a fan.

Cheers.

Bug:  I blew off a stage that still had dregs in the tank.  While the downrange distance was going to be huge and so the recovery not all that good I figured I was hoping the fuel wouldn't make it too heavy for the chutes it had.  (Had I burned the last bit of fuel Mechjeb would have destroyed the stage when the engine on the next stage lit--I was out of atmosphere, it was going to separate quite slowly.  I figured it was a better deal to waste the fuel instead as my upper stage has enough delta-v for the mission.)

It saw the fuel and the lack of control and said it hit at 200 m/s--without considering the fact that it had chutes.

39 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Bug:  I blew off a stage that still had dregs in the tank.  While the downrange distance was going to be huge and so the recovery not all that good I figured I was hoping the fuel wouldn't make it too heavy for the chutes it had.  (Had I burned the last bit of fuel Mechjeb would have destroyed the stage when the engine on the next stage lit--I was out of atmosphere, it was going to separate quite slowly.  I figured it was a better deal to waste the fuel instead as my upper stage has enough delta-v for the mission.)

It saw the fuel and the lack of control and said it hit at 200 m/s--without considering the fact that it had chutes.

I'll need to see the log file and the craft file to have any hope of knowing what happened. The most likely way I'd see that happening is if you were using an unsupported parachute module (ie, not stock chutes or RealChutes).

10 minutes ago, magico13 said:

I'll need to see the log file and the craft file to have any hope of knowing what happened. The most likely way I'd see that happening is if you were using an unsupported parachute module (ie, not stock chutes or RealChutes).

Sorry, I didn't keep anything.  Are you sure it's checking chutes when it sees fuel?

I've dropped virtually identical stages from similar positions before and it's always worked albeit with the huge range penalty.  It was a mainsail pushing two big orange tanks with a ring of chutes on it.  Predicted landing velocity was 5.? m/s.

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Sorry, I didn't keep anything.  Are you sure it's checking chutes when it sees fuel?

I've dropped virtually identical stages from similar positions before and it's always worked albeit with the huge range penalty.  It was a mainsail pushing two big orange tanks with a ring of chutes on it.  Predicted landing velocity was 5.? m/s.

Then I'd definitely need to see the log to see if an error was logged. If you're seeing anything other than 200 m/s in the editor then it's using a compatible parachute module. The way recovery works it checks parachutes first and if that isn't enough to recover, then it checks fuel, so I'm sure it's checking for chutes.

It most likely was a one time bug. If you see it again, grab the logs, otherwise I can only guess at things and with the number of variables at play (which mods are installed, which parts are on the ship, where was the ship dropped from, etc). There also was a chance the stage burned up from going too fast, which is mentioned in the message, the SR GUI, and the log file, if that happened.

15 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Then I'd definitely need to see the log to see if an error was logged. If you're seeing anything other than 200 m/s in the editor then it's using a compatible parachute module. The way recovery works it checks parachutes first and if that isn't enough to recover, then it checks fuel, so I'm sure it's checking for chutes.

It most likely was a one time bug. If you see it again, grab the logs, otherwise I can only guess at things and with the number of variables at play (which mods are installed, which parts are on the ship, where was the ship dropped from, etc). There also was a chance the stage burned up from going too fast, which is mentioned in the message, the SR GUI, and the log file, if that happened.

Ok, I think I understand what happened--the chutes must not have been enough to recover so it went to rockets and that failed and thus it smacked in at full speed rather than what the chutes could have done.  The final fate would have been the same, though.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Ok, I think I understand what happened--the chutes must not have been enough to recover so it went to rockets and that failed and thus it smacked in at full speed rather than what the chutes could have done.  The final fate would have been the same, though.

Any chutes should have reduced that velocity from 200m/s to something lower. The 200 is the value I assign when there aren't any chutes detected, powered landings then work off the remaining velocity. I'm still betting on a bug, but have no idea where to start looking for it without the logs. If you see it again, let me know and try to grab one of the logs (as long as you don't restart KSP, they'll still be there).

Tip for powered landings (for anyone), adding any amount of chutes will drastically reduce the delta-v requirements (they're 1.5x the speed calculated AFTER chutes), though you might spend that much delta-v carrying the chutes up in the first place.

13 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Any chutes should have reduced that velocity from 200m/s to something lower. The 200 is the value I assign when there aren't any chutes detected, powered landings then work off the remaining velocity. I'm still betting on a bug, but have no idea where to start looking for it without the logs. If you see it again, let me know and try to grab one of the logs (as long as you don't restart KSP, they'll still be there).

Tip for powered landings (for anyone), adding any amount of chutes will drastically reduce the delta-v requirements (they're 1.5x the speed calculated AFTER chutes), though you might spend that much delta-v carrying the chutes up in the first place.

So far I haven't seen a situation where the probe core needed would be worth it.

Quick question, what is the maximum periapsis an on rail ship can have and still be recovered by stagerecovery?  I haven't been able to figure this out,  I don't want to do too aggressive a Detroit and burn up, but nothing is more annoying than babysitting debris 

47 minutes ago, Buster Charlie said:

Quick question, what is the maximum periapsis an on rail ship can have and still be recovered by stagerecovery?  I haven't been able to figure this out,  I don't want to do too aggressive a Detroit and burn up, but nothing is more annoying than babysitting debris 

It's about 23-24km (that's the limit where KSP deletes the craft). If you shoot for 20km you should be safe, but you still have to be wary of the speed. The craft will definitely be going over 2km/s at destruction so there's a chance of burning up.

Hi there. Stage Recovery has been my first mod and absolutely essential to my game. I have always put chutes on debris, especially after reading the "Kickback" description, hoping I'd get some money back. This mod added in a basic functionality I have always expected from the stock game. Thanks for that.

As for recovering rescue targets / VIPs and them not counting towards mission completion, it does simply put them into KSC, so as a workaround, the player can launch a pod with the VIP inside and recover it. It would be elegant if Stage Recovery did this automatically but I'd say a "known bug" workaround for this should do the trick with minimum effort.

Ok, i'm aware you have no fix for the alert spam yet, but do you, or anyone else, know how to delete all that spam en-mass? I have 5000+ messages and there is no way I can delete all that by clicking on it one at a time. Also, do you know if the bug is related to the powered landing option?

Thank you to whomever provides some help on this issue,

Savage117

2 hours ago, Darbin Giesorg said:

Hi there. Stage Recovery has been my first mod and absolutely essential to my game. I have always put chutes on debris, especially after reading the "Kickback" description, hoping I'd get some money back. This mod added in a basic functionality I have always expected from the stock game. Thanks for that.

As for recovering rescue targets / VIPs and them not counting towards mission completion, it does simply put them into KSC, so as a workaround, the player can launch a pod with the VIP inside and recover it. It would be elegant if Stage Recovery did this automatically but I'd say a "known bug" workaround for this should do the trick with minimum effort.

If you don't leave the flight scene then the Kerbal prerecovery code should allow those to complete automatically. At the very least it prevents them from failing, which is an improvement over previous functionality. I'll try to improve it more so it completes properly.

40 minutes ago, Savage117 said:

Ok, i'm aware you have no fix for the alert spam yet, but do you, or anyone else, know how to delete all that spam en-mass? I have 5000+ messages and there is no way I can delete all that by clicking on it one at a time. Also, do you know if the bug is related to the powered landing option?

Thank you to whomever provides some help on this issue,

Savage117

In the meantime I suggest turning off the recovery messages in the settings. You'll still be able to check recovery status through the SR GUI during flight. I'll try to get the recovery spam fixed this weekend.

10 hours ago, magico13 said:

If you don't leave the flight scene then the Kerbal prerecovery code should allow those to complete automatically. At the very least it prevents them from failing, which is an improvement over previous functionality.

To be clear, the Kerbals do get recovered by Stage Recovery, they're safely back in the KSC (thank the maker). The mission contract doesn't require them to be safely home, though, it technically seems to require them to get recovered (via standard recovery), so putting the Kerbal in a vessel after he's been stage-recovered and recovering the vessel on the launchpad will finish that last goal. It seems to be a matter of contracts requiring "whatever happens when you press the recovery button" and Stage Recovery "not telling the game that this has happened". The contract keeps waiting for the Kerbal to be recovered. It's like SR teleports him past the front gate right onto the couch and the game needs you to bring him through the gate.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using this mod for a long time, but just had my first instance of kerbals being killed off by it today. I had a shuttle vessel returning from Minmus. It had previously undocked from a base there (KAS hose) and was firmly within the Kerbin SOI. All was well with four kerbals on board. When I later went back to it to alter its inclination, all the kerbals were missing. I found they were listed as KIA in the astronaut complex but Final Frontier had no record of them being killed. I didn't suffer any reputation decrease either. SR handed me a ghost ship... ;.;

[LOG 01:01:42.841] [SR] Determined cutoff altitude to be 27200
[LOG 01:06:45.396] [SR] Added vessel KSS Eos v1.0 (8ddd4623-7df6-4c24-8d8b-edd320a639c4) to watchlist.
[LOG 01:06:45.411] [SR] Added vessel KSS Tyche v1.0 (0a292d34-f937-4f83-aae8-180dced4fc11) to watchlist.
[LOG 01:06:57.959] [SR] Vessel KSS Tyche v1.0 (0a292d34-f937-4f83-aae8-180dced4fc11) is about to be destroyed. Pre-recovering Kerbals.
[LOG 01:06:57.960] [SR] Pre-recovered Verdi Kerman
[LOG 01:06:57.960] [SR] Pre-recovered Wehrlan Kerman
[LOG 01:06:57.960] [SR] Pre-recovered Madise Kerman
[LOG 01:06:57.960] [SR] Pre-recovered Edrey Kerman

Those are all the SR messages until they were killed. No more log messages from SR for 17 minutes after that, just regarding the normal operation of other vessels. I only discovered the issue after a 3 hour, 40 minute session: there was no in-game notification from SR and the vessel itself was still there, unharmed and fully functional.

There is a happy ending: I've been able to revive the crew with ShipManifest and then edit the savefile to restore their experience and put them back into the vessel. :)

Linux v1.0.5.1028 64-bit, SR v1.6.3 via CKAN.

Edit: the kerbals were killed by the mechanism below. Probably nothing unusual here. FF didn't notice though (I think it does normally list any killed kerbal in their mission log, but then again, I'm not in the habit of murdering them).

[WRN 01:07:01.867] [ProtoCrewMember Warning]: Crewmember Edrey Kerman found assigned but no vessels reference him. Edrey Kerman set as missing.
[LOG 01:51:28.338] Crewmember Edrey Kerman has been missing for too long! He must be dead by now.
[LOG 01:51:28.339] [00:00:00]: Edrey Kerman was killed.

Edited by Bluebottle
more info