[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

I have a gameplay question, with this mod and KTC installed is possible to air-drop something from a plane (a parachute dropped rover, a rocket, a flying ninja sausage) take control of it and let the plane alone expeting stage recovery to pick it up?

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

I have a gameplay question, with this mod and KTC installed is possible to air-drop something from a plane (a parachute dropped rover, a rocket, a flying ninja sausage) take control of it and let the plane alone expeting stage recovery to pick it up?

Yes, as long as the thrust to weight of the plane is greater than 1 and you're on kerbin

55 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Yes, as long as the thrust to weight of the plane is greater than 1 and you're on kerbin

Another quick question, the recovered plane will be refunded or placed in the SPH?

lC2vbAw.jpg

17 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Another quick question, the recovered plane will be refunded or placed in the SPH?

lC2vbAw.jpg

Refunded. StageRecovery can't use KCT's recovery mechanism.

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

Refunded. StageRecovery can't use KCT's recovery mechanism.

However, it should be trivial to re-build the plane, since the parts do get thrown into the inventory, correct?

15 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

However, it should be trivial to re-build the plane, since the parts do get thrown into the inventory, correct?

Correct, they are added to the inventory so rebuilding will be pretty fast. Some people prefer to use the KCT recovery for planes however because a complete rebuild can take a few days as opposed to a few hours.

There used to be a mod, that would create a temp save of your game, in these situations, so you could fly a plane up to altitude, and drop a small rocket, and boost it into orbit, then once you were in orbit, it would jump you back to the plane, at the moment of separation, and you could fly the plane back to KSC and recover, and it would then merge that 'save' into the save with your rocket in orbit, so the plane was recovered, and your rocket was still in orbit. Can't remember the name. Flight Mangaer for reusable Stages or some such, maybe? no idea if its been maintained.  i used to use it for side booster recovery, until this mod came along.

Edited by vardicd

41 minutes ago, vardicd said:

There used to be a mod, that would create a temp save of your game, in these situations, so you could fly a plane up to altitude, and drop a small rocket, and boost it into orbit, then once you were in orbit, it would jump you back to the plane, at the moment of separation, and you could fly the plane back to KSC and recover, and it would then merge that 'save' into the save with your rocket in orbit, so the plane was recovered, and your rocket was still in orbit. Can't remember the name. Flight Mangaer for reusable Stages or some such, maybe? no idea if its been maintained.  i used to use it for side booster recovery, until this mod came along.

Yep, FMRS. It's still being developed and StageRecovery is designed to work alongside it. If FMRS is installed and active then SR only recovers uncontrolled vessels that use stock parachutes, otherwise it's left to FMRS. If FMRS is disabled, then SR will attempt to recover everything. I haven't actually tested it with the kerbal pre-recovery code now that I think of it, so if anyone tests and notices strange behavior let me know and I'll fix it.

2 hours ago, vardicd said:

There used to be a mod, that would create a temp save of your game, in these situations...

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

Yep, FMRS. It's still being developed and StageRecovery is designed to work alongside it.

Thanks! I'm going to install it! Alongside Stage Recovery, obviously, my solid boosters and plane external tanks will still need to be recovered!

I have recently started to use the KSP Add-On Version checker and after upgrading to 1.1.2 of KSP, I get a warning that states, that this mod was built to run on KSP 1.1.

I am assuming that since my game runs and I don't see any obvious errors, everything is okay?

I do apologize if you have seen this note before in another thread, as I do have a couple of mods I get the warning on and would just like to make sure that I haven't missed an update or anything. I mean no harm and am sorry if I have broken any rules.

Thank you for the mod and the support.

33 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I have recently started to use the KSP Add-On Version checker and after upgrading to 1.1.2 of KSP, I get a warning that states, that this mod was built to run on KSP 1.1.

I am assuming that since my game runs and I don't see any obvious errors, everything is okay?

I do apologize if you have seen this note before in another thread, as I do have a couple of mods I get the warning on and would just like to make sure that I haven't missed an update or anything. I mean no harm and am sorry if I have broken any rules.

You might need to re-download the mod, I don't get this warning, and you may have gotten an out of date version by mistake.

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

I'm pretty sure I updated the version file to 1.1.2. Where did you download this from? There's a chance I uploaded the wrong .zip to that site.

27 minutes ago, vardicd said:

You might need to re-download the mod, I don't get this warning, and you may have gotten an out of date version by mistake.

Well, there was an update just a couple of days ago.  I think, perhaps KSP VC has changed?  It used to offer an "action" and I just didn't check after 1.1 to 1.1.1 , thanks for the suggestion as it worked!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I had a question from someone on the Real Scale Sea Dragon thread asking about StageRecovery with regards to the recoverable portion of the Sea Dragon design. There's an inflatable drag system built into the first stage engine. Is there a way to get StageRecovery to recognize this, since it's not really a parachute?

Glitch report: Upon entering atmosphere, the 'stages' get 'destroyed' a few times a second, repeatedly, until I have literally tens of thousands of reports. I am attaching a screenshot of the latest instance. The glitch stops when the rocket hits the ground. Let me know what else you need and I'll provide it next time it happens.

Here is a link to my ksp.log. This link will expire 28 days from this post.

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gf7d6680bd4014e27999826584fd306b2693fbfe33

Latest incident: mpLbD5v.jpg

Modlist:

Random note: this glitch occured both before and after adding FAR

Spoiler

(Semi)Saturatable Reaction Wheels (SemiSaturatableRW 1.11.0)
[x] Science! (xScience 4.17)
6 Crew Science Lab (SixCrewScienceLab 1.1)
6 Seat Mk3 Cockpit (SixSeatMk3cockpit 1.1)
ABookCase Orbital Reference System (ABCORS 0.2.0.0)
Action Groups Extended (AGExt 2.0)
All Y'All (AllYAll 0.3)
Animated Decouplers (AnimatedDecouplers-x86 v1.3.1)
AntennaRange (AntennaRange 1.11.2)
ASET Props (ASETProps 1.3)
AutoAsparagus (AutoAsparagus v2.2.1)
AutomatedScienceSampler (AutomatedScienceSampler 1.1.3)
Aviation Lights (AviationLights v3.9)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v1.1.4)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.4.2)
BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.2.1)
Camera Focus Changer (CameraFocusChanger v0.9.0.0)
Cetera's Suit Mod (Ceteras-Suit-Pack 0.3)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.8)
Coherent Contracts (CoherentContracts 1.02)
Community NavBall Docking Alignment Indicator (CommunityNavballDockingIndicator 1.0.1a)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.5.1.1)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 2.4)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v3.0.2)
Danger Alerts (DangerAlerts 1.2)
Dated QuickSaves (DatedQuickSaves 1.1.1)
DeadSkins for AviationLights Continued (DeadSkins 1.4b)
DefaultActionGroups (DefaultActionGroups 1.1.2)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.7.1)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.7.1)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.2.4)
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (DMagicScienceAnimate v0.14)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.4)
Docking Port Sound FX (DockingPortSoundFX v2.1.1)
EasyBoard (EasyBoard 1.0)
Engine Lighting (EngineLighting 1.4.3)
EVA Handrails Continued (EVAHandrailsPackContinued 0.2.1.1)
EVA Struts (EVAStruts 1.0)
EVA Transfer (EVATransfer 4.0)
EvaFuel (EvaFuel 1.2.1)
EVAManager (EVAManager 9)
EveBiomesPlus (EveBiomesPlus 1.0)
Ferram Aerospace Research (FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.6.3)
Field Experience (FieldExperience 1.0.3.1)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.0.7-2319)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.2.3)
GPOSpeedFuelPump (GPOSpeedFuelPump v1.8.1)
HabTech (HabTech 0.1.7.5)
Haystack Continued (HaystackContinued 0.5.0.0)
Hot Spot (HotSpot 0.5.1)
Impact! (Impact v1.4.2)
IndicatorLights (IndicatorLights 0.8)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 2.0.4)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 2.0.4)
Jettison (Jettison 1.0.0.8)
Jettison Fuel (JettisonFuel 1.02)
JoolBiomes (JoolBiomes 1.0)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.6.1.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.7)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.1.0)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.9)
Kerbal Konstructs (KerbalKonstructs 0.9.6.7_EX)
Kerbal Stats (KerbalStats 2.1.0)
Kerbal Stock Part eXpansion - maintainted (KSPX v0.2.10.1)
Kerbin-Side Complete (KerbinSide 1:1.1.0)
KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - DestroyAll (KerboKatzSmallUtilities-DestroyAll 1.4.1)
KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - RecoverAll (KerboKatzSmallUtilities-RecoverAll 1.4.1)
KerboKatzUtilities (KerboKatzUtilities 1.3.7)
KOAS - Kerbal Optical Alignment System (KerbalOpticalAlignmentSystem 1.0.2)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1-0-4)
KSP Achievements (Achievements 1.9.2)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.6.1)
Landing Height Display (LandingHeight 1.5)
Launch Numbering (LaunchNumbering 0.2.0)
Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics v2.0.3)
Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - Legacy Parts (InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts v2.0.0)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.1.1)
Mk1 Cockpit RPM Internals (Mk1RPMInternal 2.11b)
'MK1-2  Pod' IVA Replacement by ASET (MK12PodIVAReplacementbyASET 1.1_BETA)
Mk2 Stockalike Expansion (Mk2Expansion 1.7.08)
MK3 Pod IVA Replacement by Apex (MK3InternalsApex 0.2b)
Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (Mk3Expansion 1.11)
Modular Fuel Tanks (ModularFuelTanks 5.7.4)
Modular Rocket Systems (ModularRocketSystem 1.12.6)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.1.3.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.24)
Multiports (Multiports 1.0.2)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 0.6.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 0.7.1)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 0.7.1)
Near Future Electrical Extras: Decaying RTGs Patch (NearFutureElectrical-DecayingRTGs 0.7.1)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 0.7.1)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 0.6.1)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 0.6.1)
'Otter' Submersible (USI-SubPack 0.1.2.1)
Outer Planets Mod (OuterPlanetsMod 1:1.9.5.1)
Part Commander (PartCommander 1.1.1)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 9.0)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.3)
QuickSearch (QuickSearch v3.01)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.26.0)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.26.0)
RCS Sounds (RCSSounds 5.0.1)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v10.5.1)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v0.10.7)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.1.1)
Resource Details in Tracking Center (TCShipInfo 0.4)
Rover Wheel Sounds (RoverWheelSounds 2.2)
SafeChute (SafeChute v1.9.1)
SCANsat (SCANsat v16.1)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0246)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0246)
SDHI Strobe-O-Matic Warning Rotator Lights (SDHI-StrobeOMatic v1.0)
Serious Kerbal Business (SeriousKerbalBusiness 1.7.1.1)
Smart Parts (SmartParts 1.7.2)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.6.15.0)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.6.4)
Station Science (StationScience 1.6)
Stock Bug Fix Modules & StockPlus (StockBugFixPlus v1.1.2b.1)
Sum Dum Heavy Industries - Shared Assets (SDHI-SharedAssets 1.0)
Surface Experiment Pack (SurfaceExperimentPack v1.4.1)
Switch Active Vessel (SwitchVessel 0.5)
Tantares (Tantares 34.1)
Tantares LV (TantaresLV 16.1)
Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies Continued... (TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies 1:6.1)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v2.4.13)
ToadicusTools (ToadicusTools 20)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.12)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.7.4.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.10)
Universal Storage (UniversalStorage 1.1.0.12)
Unmanned Before Manned (UnmannedBeforeManned 1.0.8.3)
USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (USI-ART 1:0.8.2.1)
USI Core (USI-Core 0.2.2.1)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.5.2.1)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.5.2.1)
USI Kolonization Core (USI-UKS-Shared 0.2.2.1)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.40.2.1)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.4.2.1)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.5.2.1)
USI Tools (USITools 0.7.2.1)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.5.1)
Wider Contracts App (WiderContractsApp 1.3.3)
Yellow-Green Jool Recolor (YellowGreenJool 1)
Zero Point Inline Fairings (ZeroPointInlineFairings 1.0.2)

Edited by OddFunction
added log file

On 4/26/2016 at 6:15 PM, magico13 said:

@carlorizzante Are you using the latest pre-release? If not then I suggest trying it out as it might fix any problems you're seeing. If you're still having issues then I'll likely need the log file to have any clue. Assuming you're running Windows the log file will be KSP_Data/output_log.txt if you're using 32 bit or KSP_x64_Data/output_log.txt if you're using 64 bit. Just upload it to Dropbox or a similar site and then post here (or send a PM) with the sharing link.

I'm happy to confirm that SR works. Perhaps I wasn't doing things properly myself, or perhaps some mods conflicted, can't say. Either way, the mod works on my system, and it's awesome, thanks!

Edit: Actually, perhaps I wasn't properly setting the minimum pressure at 0.5 :-/

Edited by carlorizzante

I've got a question about powered recovery, specifically as playing in RP-0/RO.  I'm trying to do some X-1 esque air-drops, is there any plans to have aircraft be able to recover at less than a TWR of 1?  In the meantime, guess strapping some extra engines or parachutes onto my motherships will have to do?

2 hours ago, carlorizzante said:

I'm happy to confirm that SR works. Perhaps I wasn't doing things properly myself, or perhaps some mods conflicted, can't say. Either way, the mod works on my system, and it's awesome, thanks!

Edit: Actually, perhaps I wasn't properly setting the minimum pressure at 0.5 :-/

Something I have found with Stage Recovery that can result in lost stages:

It only works properly if the stage either can truly recover on it's own (chutes that are properly set to land it) or if it's outside physics range.  I've lost more than one booster that I nursed down through the fire but then it fell too close to me.

11 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Hi there! I had a question from someone on the Real Scale Sea Dragon thread asking about StageRecovery with regards to the recoverable portion of the Sea Dragon design. There's an inflatable drag system built into the first stage engine. Is there a way to get StageRecovery to recognize this, since it's not really a parachute?

As of now, no. There are plans to break out the recovery mechanics to other mods so they can add their own weird parachute-like modules but that effort hit a wall when I couldn't get sensible values out of the parachute drag cubes, which would allow me to unify much of the code base instead of having separate methods for stock, realchute, and any future modules.

6 hours ago, OddFunction said:

Glitch report: Upon entering atmosphere, the 'stages' get 'destroyed' a few times a second, repeatedly, until I have literally tens of thousands of reports. I am attaching a screenshot of the latest instance. The glitch stops when the rocket hits the ground. Let me know what else you need and I'll provide it next time it happens.

Make sure you're using the release version and not the older pre-releases. The error has to do with Kerbal Konstructs failing to recover the vessel for some reason. Because the vessel doesn't get destroyed KSP attempts to destroy it again, over and over again, meaning the events that SR listens to are being repeatedly called. I've got a planned workaround, but it just treats the symptoms and not the underlying problem. If you still have the issue after you redownload and reinstall StageRecovery and Kerbal Konstructs then I'd suggest also cross posting on the Kerbal Konstructs thread.

2 hours ago, carlorizzante said:

If the parachutes were deploying and being destroyed then that certainly would make it appear as if SR wasn't working. Hopefully that's all it was!

1 hour ago, coco146 said:

I've got a question about powered recovery, specifically as playing in RP-0/RO.  I'm trying to do some X-1 esque air-drops, is there any plans to have aircraft be able to recover at less than a TWR of 1?  In the meantime, guess strapping some extra engines or parachutes onto my motherships will have to do?

In the settings you can reduce the required TWR. I've got longer term plans to add support for "gliding recoveries" where much smaller TWRs would be needed (if any) but that depends on me figuring out how to calculate drag on the entire vessel at an arbitrary AOA and speed, with the vessel unloaded.

3 hours ago, magico13 said:

Make sure you're using the release version and not the older pre-releases. The error has to do with Kerbal Konstructs failing to recover the vessel for some reason. Because the vessel doesn't get destroyed KSP attempts to destroy it again, over and over again, meaning the events that SR listens to are being repeatedly called. I've got a planned workaround, but it just treats the symptoms and not the underlying problem. If you still have the issue after you redownload and reinstall StageRecovery and Kerbal Konstructs then I'd suggest also cross posting on the Kerbal Konstructs thread.

Seems my versions are up to date, at least according to the manual downloads on the individual threads for both mods. I went ahead and crossposted to Kerbal Konstructs.

Thank you for the response, and thank you for stage recovery. It's an awesome mod :)

1 hour ago, OddFunction said:

Seems my versions are up to date, at least according to the manual downloads on the individual threads for both mods. I went ahead and crossposted to Kerbal Konstructs.

Thank you for the response, and thank you for stage recovery. It's an awesome mod :)

KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.OnVesselRecovered (.ProtoVessel vessel, Boolean bHuhWTFIDK)

It'll all come down to that second construct introduced in this method in KSP's API. So until I have a better idea exactly what this addition is, I'm struggling to find the problem.

@magico13  What settings do you recommend for RO/RP0, if you've tried those at all?  Just want your take on what you think might be realistic.  Also, is there a way to adjust the cost vs distance curve, and the origin point of that distance?  I've been using flat-rate due to Earth being bigger than Kerbin and thus recovery rates being awful even from spent booster stages due to distance, but I'd rather have the çhallenge of trying to land close to my starting launch mean something..  Btw, open to feedback from anyone else on this too.