[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

This is why I guess you'd need to start putting an install order in. Cause if I follow those directions by installing karbonite plus second, I just overwrote the DLL with the wrong version. Which is exactly what happened.

hmm? Where did I say install Karbonite Plus after this?

Side note - all of these have date/time stamps. The newer one will always be the one you want to keep :)

hmm? Where did I say install Karbonite Plus after this?

Side note - all of these have date/time stamps. The newer one will always be the one you want to keep :)

You didn't, which was the point. I had decided to install karbonite plus after I had already installed the other mods.

At least with windows 8 if it asks to overwrite files and you say yes to all, it is not going to prompt you to check each one.

Within USI mod family, I made the mistake of assuming you keep all of your DLL's consistent so that one of your mods would not break one of your own other mods. Especially when both are released at almost the same time.

You didn't, which was the point. I had decided to install karbonite plus after I had already installed the other mods.

At least with windows 8 if it asks to overwrite files and you say yes to all, it is not going to prompt you to check each one.

Within USI mod family, I made the mistake of assuming you keep all of your DLL's consistent so that one of your mods would not break one of your own other mods. Especially when both are released at almost the same time.

Almost being the operative word. And releasing the entire constellation is kinda a big deal when a backwards compatible change kicks in - and I guarantee at least one person will grab a version in between updates.

Almost being the operative word. And releasing the entire constellation is kinda a big deal when a backwards compatible change kicks in - and I guarantee at least one person will grab a version in between updates.

It's quite alright. it's not easy to make sure every release has every update when you are releasing mods at a supercomputer machine pace.

I am having an issue with the packrat parts. I am trying to assemble the parts on the ground, but as soon as one of them touches the ground (at ridiculously slow speeds mind you) it explodes. This happens on Kerbin and the Mun. I'm no QA tester, but it sounds to me like their crash tolerances are too low.

I am having an issue with the packrat parts. I am trying to assemble the parts on the ground, but as soon as one of them touches the ground (at ridiculously slow speeds mind you) it explodes. This happens on Kerbin and the Mun. I'm no QA tester, but it sounds to me like their crash tolerances are too low.

Are you using the latest KAS?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using the latest KAS?

(reason I ask... is that I have had these things survive crashes when their cargo transport fell apart mid flight)

Posting this since I didn't see anyone see anyone say one way or another how their existing PackRats faired. Mine seemed unhappy after upgrading. Specifically, when going to an area near the PackRat (via a quickload), everything started slowing to a crawl (something like 20 seconds per frame). Also, bees starting coming out.

Circumstantial evidence would seem to point to the PackRat - after restarting KSP and terminating it from the tracking station, everything seemed okay. Tried building a replacement, everything seems fine there.

I can provide logs if you want them (but I'm not personally too concerned as everything seems normal after cleaning up).

Posting this since I didn't see anyone see anyone say one way or another how their existing PackRats faired. Mine seemed unhappy after upgrading. Specifically, when going to an area near the PackRat (via a quickload), everything started slowing to a crawl (something like 20 seconds per frame). Also, bees starting coming out.

Circumstantial evidence would seem to point to the PackRat - after restarting KSP and terminating it from the tracking station, everything seemed okay. Tried building a replacement, everything seems fine there.

I can provide logs if you want them (but I'm not personally too concerned as everything seems normal after cleaning up).

Interesting - would be curious as the only thing that changed was the part size (all of the bits are the same).

Full log file here. What I suspect is relevant:

[WRN 20:49:35.931] PartModule is null.
[LOG 20:49:36.167] [KerbalEVA]: Loaded, added rigidbody
[LOG 20:49:36.168] Can't add component 'Rigidbody' to kerbalEVA because such a component is already added to the game object!
[EXC 20:49:36.257] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
[EXC 20:49:36.260] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Something that's probably of note - there was a Kerbal sitting in the seat.

Sorry if repost, but I didn't see anything in the thread about this.

First off, love it and having a blast with it. Noticed a couple of problems with the rover parts and thought I'd share:

1) Camera can only take one picture unless transmitting (no option to "Take Data")

2) Science crates work fine without KAS for storing, but with KAS there is no option when right clicking

Small stuff, but having that science crate was very exciting as not being able to get science from more than one biome is the most annoying thing about rovers imho.

Again, great mod and thanks for the hard work!

Hey RoverDude

Fantastic creations you've got there, I fell in love with the Pack-Rat from the very first moment my kerbal jumped in.

I've only got one suggestion, if I may...

i'd like a middle chassis section for the rover to be able to extend the rovers length.

I hope it's not too much to ask for.

keep up the good work !!!!!

No offense, but you probably installed it incorrectly the first go around because what you experiences was precisely what happens when you do not have the correct DLL.

And no, I have no intention of switching to RPM. I looked at it, but the mod itself is too heavy weight for this one thing. Maybe if that bit was released as it's own plugin I would consider it.

I'm aware of the EVA bug, will look into it.

You don't have to have RPM packaged. Just the .cfg for the screens to replace the stock gear. If they don't have RPM, then they can remove .cfg for it and it will revert to the stock instrumentation panels.

Can somebody give some tips on building and flying vtols using this pack? Most of the time whatever I build just flips and burns...

Ask and ye shall receive.

You don't have to have RPM packaged. Just the .cfg for the screens to replace the stock gear. If they don't have RPM, then they can remove .cfg for it and it will revert to the stock instrumentation panels.

Agreed, the OP however was asking that I switch to RPM for the visibility bit, which I will not. Folks should be able to see the Kerbal in the capsule without having RPM installed.

Hey RoverDude

Fantastic creations you've got there, I fell in love with the Pack-Rat from the very first moment my kerbal jumped in.

i'd like a middle chassis section for the rover to be able to extend the rovers length.

Possible, but may not perform well due to the track/wheelbase ratio

Hey RoverDude

great idea!

Hm. Ok, I can do that. :) In what order do you recommend installing your mods?

MKS/Karb, Karb+, this mod. really you should only have to reinstall this one and overwrite any USI files.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll just live this here...

http://i7.minus.com/iBktBge5U6o5C.png

http://i6.minus.com/i1rqVsC0VMFpx.png

http://i4.minus.com/ibo5DxfrJMAOEK.png

Rover, if you need more info, logs, whatever... Just point me to where I can find what you need :)

New issue or old one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.