these new highly sophisticated, budget-friendly landing gears

Franklin

50T3ZMs.jpg

$25 a pop (compared to the LT-1s @ $240), making 9 of them still cheaper than a single LT-1, with a far better crash tolerance (read: landing tolerance) than all other gears.

They are 2.4x as heavy as the LT-1s, but at 0.36t for a three-piece it's not really worth concerning about with beginner missions.

I can't even begin to imagine how Squad's going to balance everything. I hope they come up with an interesting algorithm and not just nudge up and nudge down values as players moan.

How is a beginner supposed to have the education and skill level so early in the game to craft such a complicated and precise landing gear? This is Kerbal dude.. Not Lockheed Martins garage.. :P

Did the same thing for takeoff stability lol

Test those solid fuel boosters: stack 3 ontop of eachother with a rocket ontop to grab the orbit contract and topple over.

Glad I stuck to taking a ton of pics for the log :P

uPJdayU.png

Did the same thing for takeoff stability lol

Test those solid fuel boosters: stack 3 ontop of eachother with a rocket ontop to grab the orbit contract and topple over.

Glad I stuck to taking a ton of pics for the log :P

http://i.imgur.com/uPJdayU.png

i gotta say one thing for some of those contracts, they've made me tweak the max throttle on boosters for the first time, uh, ever. a 50% booster is gold for those part-testing contracts with height/speed targets.

the crash tolerance of boosters is 7m/s, which isn't high enough to always guarantee the part doesn't explode when landing with a Mk16. those girder segments have a tolerance of 80m/s, so i can hit the ground fairly recklessly.

that particular rocket was just a part-testing rocket. "deploy our radial chutes at X metres and get a prize" etc, so i wasn't going far with that rocket anyway.

Oh my goodness!

S5cDr1M.png

You have the finest and most efficient piece of technology that I have ever enkountered!

This is a very intriguing technology that should be integrated onto all crafts that have the landing capability. This technology is never seen before!

I applaud you young man for what you've done, you deserve a kobel piece prize!

That is very efficient!

OOH MY!

They are 2.4x as heavy as the LT-1s, but at 0.36t for a three-piece it's not really worth concerning about with beginner missions.
But lander-stage weight effects your over-all Delta-V. So I think your costs winnings here quickly are countered by extra fuel and other part costs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.