[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I just visited Eloo and there was no Karbonite to be found there. Did I miss something?

First question. Can you mine Karbonite anywhere else? And are you trying to surface mine or particle collect on Eeloo?

Hi got a bug or error or something like that. As soon as I put an Kerbonite Detector to my ship my fps drops to 0.5 I think this should be the problem

LOG 19:02:17.907] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data. Length: 126[LOG 19:02:17.908] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data for Kerbin

[LOG 19:02:18.046] [ORS] 373 high value Karbonite locations detected

[LOG 19:02:18.047] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data for Kerbin

[LOG 19:02:18.185] [ORS] 6705 high value Substrate locations detected

[LOG 19:02:18.186] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data for Kerbin

[LOG 19:02:18.325] [ORS] 2514 high value Ore locations detected

[LOG 19:02:18.326] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data for Kerbin

[LOG 19:02:18.455] [ORS] 3296 high value Aquifer locations detected

[LOG 19:02:18.456] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data for Kerbin

[LOG 19:02:18.584] [ORS] 4702 high value Minerals locations detected

[LOG 19:02:18.585] [ORS] Loading Planetary Resource Data for Kerbin

[EXC 19:02:18.587] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

I have uploaded the full log for reference. I hope somebody can help me. I just wantet to build my first moon base with mks and kerbonite...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn86qupihgvs20r/KSP.log

Hi got a bug or error or something like that. As soon as I put an Kerbonite Detector to my ship my fps drops to 0.5 I think this should be the problem

I have uploaded the full log for reference. I hope somebody can help me. I just wantet to build my first moon base with mks and kerbonite...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn86qupihgvs20r/KSP.log

Do you have MKS installed. Do you have Pre-releases installed (Karb or MKS). Did you refrain from deleting the old versions first, because you probably have a duplicate ORS folder.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... and do you have that EL->Karbonite mod installed?

I have mks installed. MKS isn't a prelease Karbonite is a prerelease. I allready deletet everything from Karbonite. An reinstalled it.

And i have no clou what u mean with EL->Karbonite so i guess i don't have it

I think i got it i installed a prerelease from ScanSat too. And it seems it has the ORS in its plugin....

Okay so I have only two OpenResourceSystem...dll on my filesystem. In my ORS Folder an in my Scansat Folder. Both seem to be wehere they are supposed to be. I thought scansat is compatiple with. Karbonite....

PS: thanks for the fast help.

Edit: I found the Problem thanks to ur help. It was MKS it wans't the prerelease. It seem that was the Proplem. I reinstalled it now everythings works like butter.

Edited by Samueras
Problem solved

For making repairs mandatory for karbonite system, how would that work for long flights, such as star systems? after a 50 year flight, converter breaks down because no parts, so after a 150 phase angle change and another 50 year flight, I can repair it....?

Or if using karbonite for a grand tour, and run out of spare parts, i'm hosed unless I make another supply run from kerbin?

I guess you could use MKS's 'Mobile Repair Shop' for repair parts, if you want to make MKS mandatory for Karbonite. For long flights, that's what it would do.

Don't have any ideas on how to balance unlimited resources, though. I thought the logistics of transportation would handle that. The 'Mar's Direct' modules land years ahead of the astronauts to harvest fuel for the return trip. As far as actually being in the oil industry, all the repairs happen when actually drilling. After the pumping stations is set up, they run decades with minimal maintenance. The delays are always infrastructure or legislative in nature.

So if you are deciding on a method of balancing unlimited/limited resources, I would suggest bouncing around some other ideas or tweaking 'repairs', simply because new people looking for a kethane replacement could get hosed or very frustrated by the inoperative equipment.

For making repairs mandatory for karbonite system, how would that work for long flights, such as star systems? after a 50 year flight, converter breaks down because no parts, so after a 150 phase angle change and another 50 year flight, I can repair it....?

Or if using karbonite for a grand tour, and run out of spare parts, i'm hosed unless I make another supply run from kerbin?

I guess you could use MKS's 'Mobile Repair Shop' for repair parts, if you want to make MKS mandatory for Karbonite. For long flights, that's what it would do.

Don't have any ideas on how to balance unlimited resources, though. I thought the logistics of transportation would handle that. The 'Mar's Direct' modules land years ahead of the astronauts to harvest fuel for the return trip. As far as actually being in the oil industry, all the repairs happen when actually drilling. After the pumping stations is set up, they run decades with minimal maintenance. The delays are always infrastructure or legislative in nature.

So if you are deciding on a method of balancing unlimited/limited resources, I would suggest bouncing around some other ideas or tweaking 'repairs', simply because new people looking for a kethane replacement could get hosed or very frustrated by the inoperative equipment.

Oh, for context that was more of a MKS/OKS thing. The topics tend to bleed over. Core Karbonite is just about harvesting... it's the bits people build around it that make it awesome. Like... this video where I prove my horrible VTOL skills testing out the WIP mockup of a Honeybadger mining lander...

I have long term plans for some larger ships that go with EPL, ship sections built and assembled in orbit with EPL; which then act as EPL going out to other planets. perfect now that Karbonite is really catching on and EPL will open up to it more and more, and hopefully become independent of Kethane.

'any landing you can walk away from is a good landing'

i've been trying to land a long vertical stack of mks pods on Mun. figured to use a booster to land, with large wheels for stability, and individually fly my stack of mks units down where i want them.

like landing spaghetti haha

Seen that movie Armageddon? How the problem was, they kept burning through drill bits? Could be an idea there to kick-around. Meshes up with real-life, too, as rigs burn through drill heads.

I have long term plans for some larger ships that go with EPL, ship sections built and assembled in orbit with EPL; which then act as EPL going out to other planets. perfect now that Karbonite is really catching on and EPL will open up to it more and more, and hopefully become independent of Kethane.

That sounds suitably epic! And the EPL/Karbonite mod looks good from what I have seen/heard

'any landing you can walk away from is a good landing'

i've been trying to land a long vertical stack of mks pods on Mun. figured to use a booster to land, with large wheels for stability, and individually fly my stack of mks units down where i want them.

like landing spaghetti haha

Seen that movie Armageddon? How the problem was, they kept burning through drill bits? Could be an idea there to kick-around. Meshes up with real-life, too, as rigs burn through drill heads.

Nifty, granted these will be optional bits, but yep I can see that

yeah, as RoverDude said it is better to have a concentration based system so that when you do build a giant MKS base, you don't have to move it again when the resources run out, as in kethane. And, it is more immersive, in that as KerbinDallas said the idea that a single base could use up all the resources in a couple tanks is 'ludicrous'.

However, maybe an art pass on the ORS overlay, if deciding to keep it?

I personally prefer ScanSat mapping, as I feel it is more immersive and I get a greater sense of accomplishment(!) in hunting out a good concentration. Stupid of me to feel that, perhaps haha.

One drawback on concentration base, is that it can hurt gameplay if a player is trying to simulate an 'economy', in hunting for rare elements/minerals to mine and cash it on. It removes the need to seek out and continually prospect different places, to track down a good load, and then mine it out for profit. But this is beyond the scope of this discussion, anyways. I think that is what ultimately Thurak's MoonMining Precious Metals was taking a crack at. Be cool to get the author of ORS to implement both concentration and limited based resources in his system.

What options are there for the ORS overlay that you, RoverDude, are considering anyways? Man, an ORS overlay toggle would be a great stop-gap fix. Too bad you said it would mess up things.

Good points in my opinion. And that's where an open system really shines, someone can do a fork with resource recycling implemented. Of courses, too many forks can also be a problem.

IntakeAtm is just IntakeAir with ModuleResourceIntake's checkForOxygen = false; so any gas will do for the engine. It's problematic if ModuleResourceIntake will only add to the resource if there is Oxygen. versus a simple check to allow engines to draw from resource if there is Oxygen. I haven't confirmed, but I believe if checkForOxygen is set to false; the engine will take any atmosphere, instead of only Laythe and Kerbin; same way IntakeAtm works.
Way, way back, when FireSpitter was first being developed, I confirmed that when checkForOxygen = false, jets run just fine on Duna.
So here's the 2.5m oceanic extractor I made:

http://i.imgur.com/1PdoArX.png

Very nice indeed!

When I deploy any of the new drills my FPS drops to about 2 :(

(and it's not my hardware, take my word for it) ... yep, it even happens just with a pod and (any) drill; as soon as I deploy, BAM, 2fps

Edit: it only happens on deployment / deployed. When I click 'retract' the fps returns to normal and the animation plays smoothly

Edit: I have been swapping things around and testing, and I think the problem was caused by the OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0.dll in the new build.

The one in the new build is older than the one in the original karbonite_master. By not replacing the newer one with this older one, the problem ceased. Not being savvy with the inner workings of these things I cannot elaborate more than that or be sure that this will not cause problems for me that I have not yet discovered.

Edit: *Sigh* on editing my main game folder with this change I discover the problem persists. The only other changes that were made were that I added DangIt! yesterday evening to that folder but not to the new one. I must conclude that DangIt! was the problem.

Edited by Stephanie the Viking