[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Is this compatible with the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod? Or someone got a MM compatibility patch?
I believe a couple of folks are working on community patches to switch EL over to ORS. It would be nice if eventually it becomes one of those out of the box options for EL.

This guy made a MM file that makes all the workshop parts in EL use the code for the KarboniteConverter instead of the KethaneConverter

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-24-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v4-2-2?p=1314279&viewfull=1#post1314279

I'll buy 2 tickets to the fanboy train and ride twice. Those drills and tanks are super cool. You model and texture people are doing great work on this project. The spirit of cooperation and teamwork from this project is invigorating.

0.0.8 IS UP!!!

IMPORTANT!

We are 'Feature Complete' from a gameplay standpoint, and you have the parts to test everything out. Atmospheric mining is in. Mining just above the atmosphere is in. Jet engines are in. And we already had basic conversion stuff and drilling.

This does not mean we are feature complete forever - and I *might* sneak something else in - but for now I need to make sure that all of the core gameplay stuff is solid enough for an initial public alpha release. So my focus will be on the parts front, getting configs finished up, etc.

Speaking of which - now is the time to raise config issues. Cost, mass, aerodynamics, etc... If folks can help ferret out all of these issues that would rock.

Play. Build stuff. Go crazy.

The intent is to fix any breaking issues, log the rest, and get this whole train of awesome out to the showcase this weekend, likely Saturday night.

Thanks everyone!

0.0.8 IS UP!!!

IMPORTANT!

We are 'Feature Complete' from a gameplay standpoint, and you have the parts to test everything out. Atmospheric mining is in. Mining just above the atmosphere is in. Jet engines are in. And we already had basic conversion stuff and drilling.

This does not mean we are feature complete forever - and I *might* sneak something else in - but for now I need to make sure that all of the core gameplay stuff is solid enough for an initial public alpha release. So my focus will be on the parts front, getting configs finished up, etc.

Speaking of which - now is the time to raise config issues. Cost, mass, aerodynamics, etc... If folks can help ferret out all of these issues that would rock.

Play. Build stuff. Go crazy.

The intent is to fix any breaking issues, log the rest, and get this whole train of awesome out to the showcase this weekend, likely Saturday night.

Thanks everyone!

K, I'll try and get some testing in next few hours, but I'm at work, so I have to balance testing with actually working.

Also, I just realized your avatar picture was from adventure time. I'm so slow sometimes.

Also, for the update I need to delete the ORS and the Karbonite folders, correct?

Edited by Wren

Updated configs to use Karbonite with EPL (does not need MKS):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/Karbonite_EPL-Patch.cfg (adds USI_ResourceConverter modules to EPL parts so the production chain works)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/KarboniteConvert_EPL-Metal.cfg (makes the Karbonite converter also convert to Metal)

What happened to collecting Karbonite from the oceans of planets? Is that going to be in a later alpha release?

Still a planed release if I'm not mistaken Mike, Just not in at the moment :)

Updated configs to use Karbonite with EPL (does not need MKS):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._EPL-Patch.cfg (adds USI_ResourceConverter modules to EPL parts so the production chain works)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._EPL-Metal.cfg (makes the Karbonite converter also convert to Metal)

Didnt realize the name of the converter module changed. with this release. Thanks! Better update my configs.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

I'm not certain I'll be able to finish those parts before Sunday, but you can launch without them if you like.

No worries at all :) Honestly, I have no issue at all pushing release out a day or two if we can get more parts in, especially the tanks. Gives me time to do some other updates.

What happened to collecting Karbonite from the oceans of planets? Is that going to be in a later alpha release?

The capability is already there, just waiting on parts :)

OK, with the latest release, there were a couple of cosmetic issues I noticed. The ram scoop intake diameter looks a bit undersized, and the stack jet's node makes it hover ever so slightly in mid air. Also the engine weights, all at 2.4 tons, seems excessive. :) Otherwise, this mod is going to be a lot of fun!

screenshot399.png?psid=1

screenshot398.png?psid=1

A diet high in Karbs is just what the doctor ordered! :sticktongue:

screenshot393.png?psid=1

screenshot394.png?psid=1

I've been not watching this thread but excitedly waiting for a release. Thanks!

RoverDude could you post some screenies in the first post? I'm particuarly interested in the ScanSat integration.

They are already there - Imgur album

i think i found the first bug, mechjeb doesnt see the engines and doesnt show the twr for them or the dv

I wonder if it dislikes the Karbonite fuel (which would not surprise me).

OK, with the latest release, there were a couple of cosmetic issues I noticed. The ram scoop intake diameter looks a bit undersized, and the stack jet's node makes it hover ever so slightly in mid air. Also the engine weights, all at 2.4 tons, seems excessive. :) Otherwise, this mod is going to be a lot of fun!

https://4q2bdq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pOBFbIB7WEZ-ik5cn6T3P3IiE86GHDQ42_H7R0SsEZOIqbICsLDcZ6S8Ih0eJOaEstjdyChvrPRZCXoIV4qUrpt_hB7OcEgV_IQAtd-813PQ/screenshot399.png?psid=1

https://4q2bdq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2ptmiVSYlSRT_uoZDfN1IF9G58Rv9mOj-MKHhW96KPMQRyJ-6IDiTVMfmzqeGX0KxuCxUTkFdAN0zClpviLW0uAAEfOgwQkQ_E1Ez-0HzE3Pg/screenshot398.png?psid=1

A diet high in Karbs is just what the doctor ordered! :sticktongue:

https://4q2bdq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pZSh2py9PkQvLw9q5lrwDjNdrIUwnZkeC2Fe31esGuY8aH1UnTHRdLRxuLn-IbiN6jlEnykVnh8BhFns0tHhJIIA29mR_fsHkdBuJf-WUUlc/screenshot393.png?psid=1

https://4q2bdq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p52e6J5lx_WONaNz4RoTyhJQNKfrmKVP4msoXzlvtKKcs6_VA5KYoGUEYZ753Y5KrrhhyGdoyTmPg3udBMMu7rtZmvSPAMm_sIEm7vxmDD_A/screenshot394.png?psid=1

Thanks! I'll take a look at those nodes

Oh... and here's the render of the replacement antenna

AQBFajW.png

Which version of ORS did you compile against? I'm showing 1.1.0.0 with 0.0.8 vs 1.1.1.0 (which I had). With the "newer" version the game runs smooth as a baby's rear-end at 40-60 FPS however the (deep) atmospheric scoop doesn't deploy and the radial prop doesn't function (no scoopable air; animations all function with cheats but no thrust is produced) <- Also PEBKAC issue, can disregard with regards to no thrust. With the "older" version my game bogs down to seconds per frame (no NRE spam however) but the engines and scoop function.

EDIT: Same issue as BrutalRIP also; no sounds play. Disregard if you read about no thrust. PEBKAC issue; apparently Procedural wings block thrust transforms vs allowing the extra (rather hot) air to flow over the wings to provide lift.

EDIT2: Second crash with same exact stacktrace. Apologies for the size of the logfile. Compressed to 154 KB. Uncompressed 14,000 KB. Couple errors relating to TextureReplacer not liking my modified MKS_ORS.cfg (which specifically includes KSPI to avoid the texture not readable it's throwing...). Also Distant Object Enhancement throws a couple errors with regards to sunflare.

Crash occurred while on the runway; craft had not yet fully settled (due to low framerates) -> Revert to VAB. Game crashed immediately afterward. Dropbox Link

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

im not getting sound from the prop engines
Which version of ORS did you compile against? I'm showing 1.1.0.0 with 0.0.8 vs 1.1.1.0 (which I had). With the "newer" version the game runs smooth as a baby's rear-end at 40-60 FPS however the (deep) atmospheric scoop doesn't deploy and the radial prop doesn't function (no scoopable air; animations all function with cheats but no thrust is produced) <- Also PEBKAC issue, can disregard with regards to no thrust. With the "older" version my game bogs down to seconds per frame (no NRE spam however) but the engines and scoop function.

EDIT: Same issue as BrutalRIP also; no sounds play. Disregard if you read about no thrust. PEBKAC issue; apparently Procedural wings block thrust transforms vs allowing the extra (rather hot) air to flow over the wings to provide lift.

EDIT2: Second crash with same exact stacktrace. Apologies for the size of the logfile. Compressed to 154 KB. Uncompressed 14,000 KB. Couple errors relating to TextureReplacer not liking my modified MKS_ORS.cfg (which specifically includes KSPI to avoid the texture not readable it's throwing...). Also Distant Object Enhancement throws a couple errors with regards to sunflare.

Crash occurred while on the runway; craft had not yet fully settled (due to low framerates) -> Revert to VAB. Game crashed immediately afterward. Dropbox link to crashlog to follow.

Texture Replacer is my personal bane, I hate that mod.

Where did you get 1.1.1.0? I'd have to recomp or, yes, everything will not work. I'll check on the sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, very obvious question, FireSpitter was included with the mod. Did you unpack the ZIP and not grab that or no?

(EDIT)

Ok - for sound, I had to do a config fix. In the PropFan config, just change propfan/ to UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/PropFan for the different sounds.

Edited by RoverDude

Oh no firespitter is installed. Unless the 7.x dev DLL has been updated since 7/26. Going through my mod download archive now (everything is dated when it was pulled so shouldn't be too difficult to find; unless I flubbed and read something that wasn't there; in which case something rather drastic changed between two versions that's causing a massive massive performance hit which seems odd).

EDIT: Found it. Your 0.0.5 dev release of this. Also just tried the 07/27 release of the unofficial KSPI's ORS dll (believe that's the official ORS release that's packaged with it [though I have the official one also]) and it works like a dog.

If you no longer have it I can zip it up and put it on my dropbox if you want to decompile / do a differential check to see what changed between it and the newest one you compiled against.

My system is really hefty and can run just about anything I can throw at it; so to see that kind of performance difference is rather brutal.

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

soo like this??

MODULE

{

name = FSengineSounds

engage = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Start

disengage = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Stop

flameout = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Stop

power = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Running

Edited by BrutalRIP

@ Shad0wCatcher: I was using FS 6.3.4 when setting up the engines. that maybe why? not sure where I can get the dev v7 to test.

The Turbofan and Prop Fan engines thrustTransform is just past the exhaust port in the rear of the engine, along the fan axel, so you wanna keep that area clear of other parts

Prop engine audio, yes, FSengineSounds needs the full URL to the audio clip

name = FSengineSounds
engage = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Start
disengage = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Stop
flameout = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Stop
power = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/propFan/KaPropFan_Running

Edited by nli2work

That explains the sounds at least. Simple fixes are always a bonus. I edited my last post. 0.0.5 of Karbonite had the 1.1.1.0 version of the ORS DLL. It may just be a versioning error but with the difference in performance I'm not so sure.