[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

This is looking pretty much like it's working. But, two questions:

How much RAM does this use in the game? (I still like to be stingy, as I don't have infinite RAM)

How are locations determined and is at all editable? (I will be doing this for 100% legit reasons.)

If everything is stable, not too demanding on a computer, and not likely to bug saves in the long run, etc, I may make use of it in an ongoing story of mine....

Edited by Tw1

This is looking pretty much like it's working. But, two questions:

How much RAM does this use in the game? (I still like to be stingy, as I don't have infinite RAM)

How are locations determined and is at all editable? (I will be doing this for 100% legit reasons.)

If everything is stable, not likely to bug saves in the long run etc, I may make use of it in an ongoing story of mine....

RAM wise, the pack is at about 20mb of goodness - nli2work and Nertea both did a ton of work in handling texture reuse.

Need detail on what you mean by locations :) If it's model/part/texture, just standard config files. Otherwise let me know. And things will be stable with the RC - I'm doing folder and part renaming, etc. now

RAM wise, the pack is at about 20mb of goodness - nli2work and Nertea both did a ton of work in handling texture reuse.

Need detail on what you mean by locations :) If it's model/part/texture, just standard config files. Otherwise let me know. And things will be stable with the RC - I'm doing folder and part renaming, etc. now

Only 20mb, that's impresive. Well done guys!

What I mean, is it possible to alter where 'hot spots' appear, so I can place them where I need to suit plot demands. (Shh, potential long term spoilers.) Like with kethane, you can alter the seed number, (I think it was called that), until you get what you need.

Edited by Tw1

Only 20mb, that's impresive. Well done guys!

What I mean, is it possible to alter where 'hot spots' appear, so I can place them where I need to suit plot demands. (Shh, potential long term spoilers.) Like with kethane, you can alter the seed number, (I think it was called that), until you get what you need.

It's just a PNG file, so easily changeable :)

Installing the current version, 0.0.12, for career mode it appears that the distiller isn't set up in the tech tree.

Thanks for the catch!

How is everybody making landers with a drill currently? On planets without atmosphere chutes aren't any use and with the drill being ventral you can't fit a rocket on the bottom.

Either sky crane, or radial rockets attached to the truss bits included on the landing frame.

Is it possible to scan for Karbonite yet? I see that the radial scanner isn't available yet, so is it just "guess and go?" Regardless, I plan to integrate this into my modded career mode as soon as we have radial drills and scanners - maybe even now, I'm so excited! Does the mod have an update checker?

One more thing - you cite Karbonite as KaO3, while the real life ion that matches that is carbonATE (CO3 with 2- charge.) Carbonite is CO2 with 2- charge, although it becomes carbonate when exposed to oxygen (a quick wiki search shows that.) Just saying. Although, Khemistry and chemistry are not always one and the same, I guess.

Edited by GigaG

Is it possible to scan for Karbonite yet? I see that the radial scanner isn't available yet, so is it just "guess and go?" Regardless, I plan to integrate this into my modded career mode as soon as we have radial drills and scanners - maybe even now, I'm so excited! Does the mod have an update checker?

One more thing - you cite Karbonite as KaO3, while the real life ion that matches that is carbonATE (CO3 with 2- charge.) Carbonite is CO2 with 2- charge, although it becomes carbonate when exposed to oxygen (a quick wiki search shows that.) Just saying. Although, Khemistry and chemistry are not always one and the same, I guess.

Scanning != using the drill ;) There's a detector under science to show the hotspots, and being ORS it's pretty much land and go. Yes there's a -2 charge on it, but the formula was getting long ;) There is no update checker.

Since MKS/OKS now no longer relies on Kethane, it would be neat if some of this pack's resources were set up for optional Ore mining equipment, so that we won't need Kethane's system alongside ORS for Extraplanetary Launchpads to work as intended alongside our Kolonies.

Maybe texture adjustments, like more yellow/orange on drills/containers to differentiate.

Quick question about the radial tanks... is it normal to only get fuel from them using a fuel line?

For now, yes - going to switch up the Karbonite fuel flow mode though to save questions later ;)

No, I'm saying you say "KaO3", which would be KarbonATE assuming Ka is Karbon.

I shall admit my chemistry ignorance :) So for a Karbonite, what would the proper abbreviation be?

How is everybody making landers with a drill currently? On planets without atmosphere chutes aren't any use and with the drill being ventral you can't fit a rocket on the bottom.

For testing, I just did a small lander with the included leg assembly. For my refueling depot, I put the drill, converter, and tank in the center with 4 tanks/engines around it, and extended downward with staging. Basically a four poster ship with tons of cross-beamed struts.

the new distiller part, according to the parts right click info whilst building, when converting, inputkarbonite, output karbonite? Is this correct? Wouldn't it be easier to just input less karbonite?

I think KaO2, but that's pretty unrealistic (my knowledge of chemistry is limited to honors high school chemistry, but I looked up carbonite and it becomes carbonate when exposed to oxygen, so it is uncommon and wouldn't be that realistic.) I guess Khemistry is different than chemistry, so yeah. Plus, carbonite and carbonate are ions, which means they are typically parts of larger "ionic compounds." Could somebody that knows more elaborate?

Usual gig - I need to see a ship, understand what engines, etc.

Solved it. I reinstalled the Karbonite mod and all working now.

I have run a few comparison tests with engines.

Looking much better.

Flameout on the various Karbonite engines is around 24km now. Much higher than for stock engines, but the Karbonite engines pay for this (and their TWR) by having a lot less efficiency.

This will make them great if you can refuel often, but not generally a replacement for planes launched from Kerbin.

By the way, is Karbonite Career-integrated yet? If not, once you have all the basic parts (it seems like you're working on them REALLY fast), you should get that next.

Looking much better.

Flameout on the various Karbonite engines is around 24km now. Much higher than for stock engines, but the Karbonite engines pay for this (and their TWR) by having a lot less efficiency.

This will make them great if you can refuel often, but not generally a replacement for planes launched from Kerbin.

why not? u can refuel it just above atmosfere and on olmost all planets ( even before touchng ground)

Looking much better.

Good deal! And also Karbonite is heavy as heck ;)

By the way, is Karbonite Career-integrated yet? If not, once you have all the basic parts (it seems like you're working on them REALLY fast), you should get that next.

It's going to be pretty basic (Just a few categories based on the part type). it may get fancier down the road but I don't want to delay the relase. But yes it will at least be there :)

why not? u can refuel it just above atmosfere and on olmost all planets ( even before touchng ground)

Kerbin's fuel is pretty thin on the ground (it's there more for testing), and you only have it on Kerbin, Jool, and Eve. Now for Jool... you can easily make a plane that harvests faster than you can burn it... but don't try to land ;)

I shall admit my chemistry ignorance :) So for a Karbonite, what would the proper abbreviation be?

[Ka02]2- if we want to replicate actual carbonite, though the ionic notation may be more pain than it is worth for fictional purposes.

When I have this mod installed my FPS drops by half when in flight. I'm not sure what's going on but here's my log. I'm also using 64-bit. My framerate goes back without this mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99tbgd87oxr1eec/output_log.txt

Do you have Texture Replacer or KSP-I? Try without those two, they seem to be culprits sometimes.

Something with a lot of tubes and hoses. Maybe like this mess?

I like it ;) For the animation have the tubes bulge and contract...

We should add Karbonite to the sun also..... might make for some interesting slingshots for refuelling :)

Well that's a terrifying thought. Although a pain as the sun has no atmosphere (which is what I use for the particle collection).