[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Right, ok then! Think I'll just totally remove all my mods and re-install them one by one so I know they've been done correctly this time. Thanks for your help!

Read the install instructions since different mods use different structures, Umbra mods use the same Base folder GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite While Klockhead mods use separate folders, its easier to update mods nowdays ^^.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but the tool tip for the detection array says the optimal orbit is 100km, but in space the array will say ideal at 250km, and say sub-optimal at 100km.

Sorry to keep pestering everyone... but I installed it like you said. Literally just dropped everything in the Gamedata folder (and ignored Source folder). However, I've still got parts locked in the VAB and they're still nonexistent in R and D.

Mac, linux or pc?

32 or 64 bit?

And when you say you dropped everything in game data folder i hope you dident drop the game data folder in the game data folder =D

Copy it like this http://puu.sh/aPcsk/fcd10ed88d.jpg Or like this http://puu.sh/aPcrJ/d0afd5fbd9.jpg Either drop it in the KSP folder and "merge Gamedata folder" or go into the zip's gamedata folder and copy everything in it to the ksp Gamedata folder

it should all look like this when done http://puu.sh/aPcAW/60c4661ea0.png

If you're still having problems send me a PM and i'll see if i can help you over TS3 or Hangouts.

Edit#1

Made a Imgur album and a youtube video to help explaining, if you are still having problems after doing it like this, send me a PM.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edited by Sutima

Not sure if this has been brought up, but the tool tip for the detection array says the optimal orbit is 100km, but in space the array will say ideal at 250km, and say sub-optimal at 100km.

Those come from SCANSat - not sure where those values come from?

Mac, linux or pc?

32 or 64 bit?

And when you say you dropped everything in game data folder i hope you dident drop the game data folder in the game data folder =D

Copy it like this http://puu.sh/aPcsk/fcd10ed88d.jpg Or like this http://puu.sh/aPcrJ/d0afd5fbd9.jpg Either drop it in the KSP folder and "merge Gamedata folder" or go into the zip's gamedata folder and copy everything in it to the ksp Gamedata folder

it should all look like this when done http://puu.sh/aPcAW/60c4661ea0.png

If you're still having problems send me a PM and i'll see if i can help you over TS3 or Hangouts.

Edit#1

Made a Imgur album and a youtube video to help explaining, if you are still having problems after doing it like this, send me a PM.

http://imgur.com/a/KesN2

That will generally work but as is the case often enough when installing a new version of the mod you need to go in and delete the old mod specific folders since sometimes things get moved around or renamed.

That will generally work but as is the case often enough when installing a new version of the mod you need to go in and delete the old mod specific folders since sometimes things get moved around or renamed.

Yes, i tend to Remove everything first then Install the update, this was more to show 2 simple ways as Harvoification Had trouble installing it due to a break(?) and mod installation changed (for the better).

Those come from SCANSat - not sure where those values come from?

[TABLE=class: highlight tab-size-8 js-file-line-container]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] private string scanAlt () {[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] string altitude = "Unknown";[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] if (vessel.altitude < min_alt)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] altitude = "Too low";[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] else if (vessel.altitude < best_alt)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] altitude = "Sub-optimal";[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] else if (vessel.altitude > best_alt && vessel.altitude < max_alt)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] altitude = "Ideal";[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] else if (vessel.altitude > max_alt)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] altitude = "Too high";[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] return altitude;[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-line-code js-file-line] }[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/blob/95a2d792afcfb99ce9a53cab75e16351b931d382/SCANsat/SCANsat.cs

Ok, techinally I was a 99k, so that 1k below makes more of a difference to the display of teh text than 1k above, not sure if it makes any actual gameplay difference.

This means optimal is from 100k to 750k...

I tried this mod and it was nice...

However...

What put me off was:

1: The mapping system - Deposits disappear even though you have scanned them. Why? Why not have a persistent map that you can refer too. Scansat maps are way too vague to rely on a landing spot.

2: Huge ugly orange blobs all over the planets/moons that appear for a bit, then disappear leaving no good reason to send a mapping probe.

3: I don't want to compare to your competition, however, Kethane interface and parts are more elegant, more refined, easier and more intuitive. Re-do the mapping functions, scanning results and I would use this in a heartbeat.

Just not as it is.

Thanks for all your brilliant work.

I tried this mod and it was nice...

However...

What put me off was:

1: The mapping system - Deposits disappear even though you have scanned them. Why? Why not have a persistent map that you can refer too. Scansat maps are way too vague to rely on a landing spot.

2: Huge ugly orange blobs all over the planets/moons that appear for a bit, then disappear leaving no good reason to send a mapping probe.

3: I don't want to compare to your competition, however, Kethane interface and parts are more elegant, more refined, easier and more intuitive. Re-do the mapping functions, scanning results and I would use this in a heartbeat.

Just not as it is.

Thanks for all your brilliant work.

That's how ORS works ;) And I for one think our parts are a lot prettier.

(Edit)

Bear in mind ORS is concentration based - it does not have the 'deposits that run out' thing Kethane does, hence the scanning experience is totally different. Just land somewhere flat reasonably close to a hot spot, and go to town. No missing by one pixel.

This means optimal is from 100k to 750k...

Those are only intended to be a crude indicator of the appropriate altitude range. And as far as SCANsat is concerned anything above the "ideal" altitude and below the max altitude is considered "ideal", ie. it covers the same swath width on the ground. Below that altitude the scanning range decreases.

Their primary purpose is to get people to quit asking why their scanners don't work when they are too high or too low. A problem that seems to happen all of the time since people don't actually check the info in VAB, and the resource scanners don't have any other on-screen indicator of scanning status like the regular SCANsat parts.

Are there plans for a nicer looking resource locating system? I think at the very least we should replace the orange spheres with something more attractive, something like a Google maps marker.

Are there plans for a nicer looking resource locating system? I think at the very least we should replace the orange spheres with something more attractive, something like a Google maps marker.

That's ORS ;) And I really need to see how things shake out with all of it (KSPI, etc.) before deciding to fork. Or build something standalone.

(EDIT)

Side note - I do have a prototype of something... bear in mind we're still kinda at the mercy of the fact that there is no 'scanning' in ORS... so anything I add in is going to be an overlay of the entire map.

Edited by RoverDude

I there was more gameplay locating the 'ORS / Karbonite / MKS' resources.

Where you had to:

1. Send a SCANsat probe to the planet to scan for 'general' areas where the resources might be.
  2. Send down manned missions / probes to take surface samples and core samples or even some seismic impactors.
  3. Process those core samples to provide a more refined view about the amount of resources in that location if there are any at all. I.e., you need to learn about the planet before you can begin mining.
  4. Then send down your mining equipment once you discovered the best site.

All of that is probably contingent upon having some randomized resource maps (yay for constrained perlin noise generators). I know this is more of a 'if you want that then you should write it yourself' kind of a post. I would if I had the time. :)

I think there's an issue with karbonite and the latest tweakscale (1.79).

I scaled the large tank to 3.75m, it will update the max capacity in the editor to 21600. Then when you go to launch, you'll have 21600/800, and it seems to break from there. Returning to the editor via revert to hangar makes the max be set to 800, but still containing 21600.

[Warning]: [TweakScale Warning] Duplicate TweakScale module on part [KA.Tank.125.04] KB-4650 Karbonite Tank

Not sure if this is their issue or karbonite's issue.

The Karbonite special editions

http://i.imgur.com/TPBvURI.jpg

Beautiful :)

I there was more gameplay locating the 'ORS / Karbonite / MKS' resources.

Where you had to:

1. Send a SCANsat probe to the planet to scan for 'general' areas where the resources might be.
  2. Send down manned missions / probes to take surface samples and core samples or even some seismic impactors.
  3. Process those core samples to provide a more refined view about the amount of resources in that location if there are any at all. I.e., you need to learn about the planet before you can begin mining.
  4. Then send down your mining equipment once you discovered the best site.

All of that is probably contingent upon having some randomized resource maps (yay for constrained perlin noise generators). I know this is more of a 'if you want that then you should write it yourself' kind of a post. I would if I had the time. :)

Yeah, a rewrite of ORS isn't exactly on my list ;) Especially given that anything done has to extend ORS vs. wholesale change how it works as it's a dependency we have that is used by other people, and if we mess with it, we're forcing change onto other mods, which is not cool.

I think there's an issue with karbonite and the latest tweakscale (1.79).

I scaled the large tank to 3.75m, it will update the max capacity in the editor to 21600. Then when you go to launch, you'll have 21600/800, and it seems to break from there. Returning to the editor via revert to hangar makes the max be set to 800, but still containing 21600.

[Warning]: [TweakScale Warning] Duplicate TweakScale module on part [KA.Tank.125.04] KB-4650 Karbonite Tank

Not sure if this is their issue or karbonite's issue.

Tweakscale's.

@Qberticus, from an earlier post by RoverDude:

"Thank - and yep there's a line in the config for the detector:

MODULE

{

name = ORSResourceScanner

resourceName = Karbonite

mapViewAvailable = true

}

Just change mapViewAvailable to false."

me: what it does, is remove the instant view of the ORS bubbles from the map view, and makes you scan with ScanSat to find the largest concentrations of Karbonite ;)

@Qberticus, from an earlier post by RoverDude:

"Thank - and yep there's a line in the config for the detector:

MODULE

{

name = ORSResourceScanner

resourceName = Karbonite

mapViewAvailable = true

}

Just change mapViewAvailable to false."

me: what it does, is remove the instant view of the ORS bubbles from the map view, and makes you scan with ScanSat to find the largest concentrations of Karbonite ;)

Yup! That's the best option if you want a hunting game.

Hence, we can do stuff via extension.

Just a question - the zip file has 5 folders. I'm a minimalist - do I need all five folders?

I want to mine Karbonite so I guess I want ORS + the Karbonite parts + whatever dll is required to make that work. Do I just go with all five folders or can I drop off one or two? Thx.

Just a question - the zip file has 5 folders. I'm a minimalist - do I need all five folders?

I want to mine Karbonite so I guess I want ORS + the Karbonite parts + whatever dll is required to make that work. Do I just go with all five folders or can I drop off one or two? Thx.

Yes. You need every folder you see there.

RoverDude, is it possible to add the map view on/off to a button in the 'toolbar' settings? There is a sizable amount of people that like the scanning progression of ScanSat. Or would that mess up other dependencies/mod compatibilities?

RoverDude, is it possible to add the map view on/off to a button in the 'toolbar' settings? There is a sizable amount of people that like the scanning progression of ScanSat. Or would that mess up other dependencies/mod compatibilities?

Yes, that would mess up dependencies, etc. since that would imply a dependency on SCANSat, especially given that it defaults to NOT show hotspots, and you can just not click that button. Probably a better alternative would be to use a second part, especially since there will be some additional overlay work, but it will always be a case of all or nothing as that is fundamentally how ORS works (without a fairly large rewrite).

http://i.imgur.com/7PGBF5m.png

Possibly working as intended

http://i.imgur.com/qmuEC7z.png

Unlikely working as intended

I had the same problem, the work around I used was to add the full fuel cost to the parts intended value, so with Karbonite being 1.6/unit, if you wanted the large Karbonite tank to cost 1200 it would have to have a cost of 2480 (1200 + 800*1.6)

EDIT: It may not instantly be clear in the pictures, look at the total ship cost in the second one, its a negative.