[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Hey RoverDude, just tried the 0.03 version you have on dropbox. A few notes:

1) The landing legs should respond to the landing gear button (near the altitude display) while in flight, but do not.

2) Hotspots do not display for me when using the scanner on a completely clean 0.24.2 install. (Do I need SCANSat?)

3) I second the idea of Xenon conversion in the converter.

Everything else looks good and the parts look great! :)

1) The landing legs should respond to the landing gear button (near the altitude display) while in flight, but do not.

2) Hotspots do not display for me when using the scanner on a completely clean 0.24.2 install. (Do I need SCANSat?)

Not sure why hotspots are not showing :(, but scansat isn't a requirement for the Karbonite as far as i know,

The legs are a thing as they are not landing gear - but I can add in an action you can key in.

Still not sold on Xenon as that's a discreet element

You can bind certain actions to the button by the altitude display like you do action groups, so you can manually set the landing gear to deploy on the landing gear button like they should.

FYI - chemically, Ka03 will be Karbonite. Given there is no Ka on the periodic table, we can go a bit wild ;) And it goes well with the logo.

Good too know for ARP icons

Still not sold on Xenon as that's a discreet element

I only use XenonGas for small probe's, otherwise I never use it.

Thank you, and that i must put into the antenna cfg?

Doesnt matter where i do that ther einside?

- Open up a new text document

- Copy/paste the MM config in the document

- Save it as SCANsat.cfg in the Karbonite folder

- Scan for Karbonite

Thank you, and that i must put into the antenna cfg?

Doesnt matter where i do that ther einside?

No you don't wanna put it into the part file, Module manager configs, should be their own file, or added to an existing module manager config file.

@PART[commDish]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 262144
fov = 4
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 750000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Karbonite Scan
power = 0.5
}
}

@PART[mediumDishAntenna]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 262144
fov = 4
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 750000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Karbonite Scan
power = 0.5
}
}

That should add Karbonite Scansat support to the two stock dish antenna's, stick that in a text editor, and name it Whatever you want and use .cfg extension, put it in the game data folder and you should be good.

The legs are a thing as they are not landing gear - but I can add in an action you can key in.

Still not sold on Xenon as that's a discrete element

liquid fuel, oxidizer, and monoprop can all be considered volatiles. Since there is a mass loss converting from karbonite to anything else we can consider it within the suspension of disbelief that this waste is comprised of non-volatile elements and from those we can assume we are able to extract Xenon. Also I don't like the idea of using the atmospheric scoop to extract xenon exclusively because the crafts that normally use xenon powered engines don't fair well in atmospheres let alone possess the ability to reach orbit on xenon power. Also if you are using nertea's near future propulsion you will find xenon and other electric engines don't work in atmospheres at all.

You could aero brake to get it, maybe have an atmosphere holding tank to grab lots then refine it later. Could make a part something like a deflated balloon that fills up and expands when you aero brake.

Edited by Revolution-420

I am having a new issue with the drill not extracting when I click the extract button. Tried at the launch pad a few times and near max time warp nothing in the tank (before there would have been some collected. Maybe I have it hooked up wrong, but it was the same config that I used when it worked. Thoughts?

You could aero brake to get it, maybe have an atmosphere holding tank to grab lots then refine it later. Could make a part something like a deflated balloon that fills up and expands when you aero brake.

There is going to be a ram scoop to collect Karbonite in the atmosphere by dive bombing the atmosphere (Lowering periapsis into the atmosphere lower than when aerobraking and bringing it back up out of the atmosphere once you reach apoapsis). There will only be one form of Karbonite that you can store in takes though, so I like to think of it as if the ram scoop would condense the Karbonite into liquid form then having it pumped into a storage tank.

I am having a new issue with the drill not extracting when I click the extract button. Tried at the launch pad a few times and near max time warp nothing in the tank (before there would have been some collected. Maybe I have it hooked up wrong, but it was the same config that I used when it worked. Thoughts?

More info please? I assume you have the latest release, can you post a screenshot? Try not maxing time warp, see how that affects things as well.

Ok I got it working with ScanSat, its pure joy !!! Now I have few stuff to tell, when you connect drill to hub with legs its a little finicky to attach stuff under to drill but its doable. I just know a-lot of nubs will be complaining. One more thing I guess various size of tanks and equipment will come with time , but can we MM other parts to be used with Karbonite?

Ok I got it working with ScanSat, its pure joy !!! Now I have few stuff to tell, when you connect drill to hub with legs its a little finicky to attach stuff under to drill but its doable. I just know a-lot of nubs will be complaining. One more thing I guess various size of tanks and equipment will come with time , but can we MM other parts to be used with Karbonite?
Speaking of which :P I really like using the expandable storage containers from Bahamutos EPL pack, So i took the container and edited to be a Karbonite container, (even did a noob attempt at texturing it to match Karbonite colors. I can share it if you like (i assume its ok as Bahamuto uses the same licencing as Karbonite. )

EDIT: Here is the link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19908938/BahaEPLKarbonitetank.zip You'll need to Baha's EPL pack that i linked above obviously.

And of course all credit for everything goes to the orginal author, Bahamuto, I just edited the config to hold Karbonite, and edited the texture a bit (which ive now noticed its not orange enough. ill have to change that :P )

Empty:

UBVtkwh.pngFull:yuMA03k.png
Edited by rabidninjawombat

More info please? I assume you have the latest release, can you post a screenshot? Try not maxing time warp, see how that affects things as well.

Yeah I am running .3 right now. Here it is after 5 minutes of no time warping (w/ KDATA)

2a5cpk.png

Here is another 5 minutes of no time warping (w/o KDATA)

2w5q03s.png

Both had the same result of nothing, yet had power enough to spare and an empty tank to store it in. One thing I did notice is that when you go to the converter is start LF conversion and stop LF conversion (same with oxidizer), shouldn't that just be start and once it is clicked it swaps to stop? I didn't get a screen of it but I can.

I like the way you map the planets for resources I found some 2.5k spots on Kerbin already :)))) One thing I noticed it resources are gathered only on active vessel correct? And same goes for converting? It does take alot of time converting , is there a chance for NonActive Vessel operation ?

Yeah I am running .3 right now. Here it is after 5 minutes of no time warping (w/ KDATA)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2a5cpk.png

Here is another 5 minutes of no time warping (w/o KDATA)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2w5q03s.png

Both had the same result of nothing, yet had power enough to spare and an empty tank to store it in. One thing I did notice is that when you go to the converter is start LF conversion and stop LF conversion (same with oxidizer), shouldn't that just be start and once it is clicked it swaps to stop? I didn't get a screen of it but I can.

Make sure you have ALL other mods updated to the latest plugins , They do break Karbonite if outdated.

@RoverDude I noticed massive problem on lunchpad , I have super hard time RIGHT CLICKING ON STUFF, and I dont know if it's your mod or KSP. No error codes

Make sure you have ALL other mods updated to the latest plugins , They do break Karbonite if outdated.

@RoverDude I noticed massive problem on lunchpad , I have super hard time RIGHT CLICKING ON STUFF, and I dont know if it's your mod or KSP. No error codes

It worked with the cloud mod and KDATA installed and now it just does nothing, the mods are both up to data as they are copied over from my main save. Even without the mods it does nothing, so the mods breaking it is irreverent.

Edit: To prove this I cleaned everything out of my secondary save and another 5 minute test (I figure 5 minutes of no time warp should net at least .01 in the tank).

33lzad1.png

Edited by Liowen

Ok, RoverDude, if you want to add this to the first post so that people know and there's no duplication of effort, I am working on...

• FL-T400 and FL-T800 sized 1.25m tanks
  • Large radial drill
  • Small radial drill
  • 1.25m converter
  • Small radial detector dish
  • Karbonite jet engine (though I'd gladly let nil2work take this one over for continuity with the rocket engines)

Working on = has a sketch :P.