Kerbal Economy Enhancements

zyngawow

Yes, the salary is based on whether the kerbal is in flight or not. If in flight, they cost 1200 funds, whereas if they're only recruited, they cost 600 funds per day. I'll add the [0.24] tag to the title, I missed that. By the way, for the next version, the cost of the kerbals will start depending on the kerbals. Dumber kerbals are cheaper, and less dumb kerbals are more expensive. I'll add a benefit to intelligent kerbals soon too.

Awesome, sounds good and I can't wait to try this mod out and for the future of it as well!

Immediately downloading this.

Another idea would be "deployment pay" for Kerbals, like if they're on a mission they get paid 10x normal daily. That would be a major difference between using probes and Kerbs. ;)

Kinda sounds like what I asked and was answered above. I'm sure you could fairly easily edit the multiplier for how much they get on missions if you want 5x, 10x for example.

Immediately downloading this.

Another idea would be "deployment pay" for Kerbals, like if they're on a mission they get paid 10x normal daily. That would be a major difference between using probes and Kerbs. ;)

They already get paid double. 10x is too much in my opinion.

Are death payouts a thing in this mod?

They should be a thing.

Either way nice mod!

It is an upcoming feature.

You'll have to pay to fire kerbals.

Wait, i CAN fire kerbals without enabling permadeath and killing them? Even Jeb and Co? Those three annoy the heck out of me - i don't want to pay for crew i'm only having because i'm forced to. On the other hand, if this mod DOES let me fire them without them returning as zombies - i might actually be willing to pay for just that, by paying my other crew.

Now if you can only add SAS to be influenced by Kerbals Stupidity level and Salary based on it too, you will really start something truly amazing. If the SAS is on a Unmanned unit it operates at 100% if manned based on the lowest stupidity lvl, 1-100% stupidity can be mapped to 90-100% operational SAS range what that means you can get a random small correction(5-0 degree == 90-100% SAS) on given milliseconds (500-2000ms). You get my drift :)

Cool mod :)

I'd be cool if you were interested in making an optional version of the mod for a career mode focused more on science and money than the tech tree (though I highly doubt it... :/)

I'm annoyed with the tech tree that cuts off all creativity and makes you build doggy crafts throughout half the game with only 3 different parts (it might be the kerbal way but still). I'm hoping to see a tech tree that only adds various upgrades to parts but give you access to nearly all of them from the start. So, you would research ship parts to upgrade them. They would have new functionalites that would come in handy for longer and more complicated missions, or simply reduce their power consumption. This would also push you slightly towards unmanned missions first as manned missions would need many upgrades in order to be done comfortably and probes use much less parts, thus less upgrades needed. You should receive funding for each science point obtained as they are the main goal of a government space program before contracts. Going after knowledge is a crucial point for sending rockets up there, it should be the first thing you should aim for (and is more fun to start with) then go set up com satellites.

This is my first mod, and suggestions are of course welcome.

Great start! And way to jump in at the deep end. I mean, economics is right up there with religion and politics as things you shouldn't discuss over dinner :). +1

https://mediacru.sh/Q8aa4LAKjBam.png

Planned features (there's more to come!)

You'll have to compensate the family of the kerbals you kill.

You'll have to pay to fire kerbals.

All this will require VERY careful balancing. I mean, you haven't mentioned the costs of benefits (insurance for the whole family, pensions, etc.) which, among many other things, present the employer with at least double, if not triple, the cost of the salary the employee actually has on paper. Then there are taxes (income tax, property tax, licensing fees, emissions taxes, etc.), insurance (to cover the investment and for liability), administration fees to amass all this paperwork and sort through it, and legal fees to employ or retain counsel on a daily basis to handle routine business, with extra costs when you're being sued. And a host of other things (which is why I have NEVER been tempted to run my own business).

At some point, just in real life, it will become cheaper just to kill the Kerbal than either keep him or fire him (especially after he becomes vested in the pension plan). I for one certainly have no qualms about that.

Of course, I avoid all the above hassle by pressganging vagrants and emptying my jails to fill seats in my rockets. My astronauts are all galley slaves who get food and air only if they perform their jobs adequately. Nobody with any political clout cares about them so life is good :).

Edited by Geschosskopf

I like the idea, but it wouldn't play well with mods like KCT. Maybe you pay salaries only while they're in flight?

I didn't think of this. Although I think they should be paid even when not in flight, after all, you've hired them, I see how it will be a problem running both mods. Your space program would be broke before your first launch... assuming around $1,800 a day for 3 Kerbals, and around 22 days to build a basic ship when you're just starting, that's $39,600 spent before you launch your first ship. :huh:

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you don't have money to pay your kerbonauts? Will your funds go negative or will they walk off the job?

The Mod Concept is awesome, just what I thought what is missing in the game.

But would it be possible to not just add more costs on different basis, but also something like long term contracts with daily income?

As example: run a lab around mun orbit for 120 days with 1000 Funds as daily reward.

Oh! You should also add heavy fines and rep damage for having nuclear engines or thermoelectric generators destroyed

Edit: Would someone be kind enough to show me how to make a simple code that gives you 100 funds and 1 rep point for each science point you acquire?

Edited by Aknar

Great little mod! It's the small differences that matters :)

I'm running this along with KCT, DRE, TACLS etc in permadeath, every rocket I launch in a new save is my last hope now since all astronuts drain my money while the rocket I've invested in is building...

I found one bug though, with dead kerbals, the window displays the kerbal's name and then immediately starts on the next entry.

My window says

Bob Kerman is available...
Jonwise KermanRoddard Kerman is available...

when Jonwise is dead.

Could you also add optional contract fee and part cost multipliers? That would be used immediately. E.g., a flat 0.5 multiplier on contracts would reduce payouts by 50% etc. etc.

That way the vast majority of us with a kajillion kredits in the bank after mission 1 can challenge ourselves a bit more and optionally add in all sorts of other economy choices you come up with :)

I didn't think of this. Although I think they should be paid even when not in flight, after all, you've hired them, I see how it will be a problem running both mods. Your space program would be broke before your first launch... assuming around $1,800 a day for 3 Kerbals, and around 22 days to build a basic ship when you're just starting, that's $39,600 spent before you launch your first ship. :huh:

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you don't have money to pay your kerbonauts? Will your funds go negative or will they walk off the job?

Nothing happens (yet). I could detect if other mods are installed to make it easier, or even playable. Or also, make it possible to fire all kerbonauts, or even give some amount of government funds to get you started.

Great little mod! It's the small differences that matters :)

I'm running this along with KCT, DRE, TACLS etc in permadeath, every rocket I launch in a new save is my last hope now since all astronuts drain my money while the rocket I've invested in is building...

I found one bug though, with dead kerbals, the window displays the kerbal's name and then immediately starts on the next entry.

My window says

Bob Kerman is available...
Jonwise KermanRoddard Kerman is available...

when Jonwise is dead.

That's weird. The code is pretty readable: if (crewMember.rosterStatus.Equals(ProtoCrewMember.RosterStatus.Assigned)) { //TAKE FUNDS } else if (crewMember.rosterStatus.Equals(ProtoCrewMember.RosterStatus.Available)) { //TAKE FUNDS }. As you can see, I don't even contemplate the possibility of the kerbal being dead.

That's weird. The code is pretty readable: if (crewMember.rosterStatus.Equals(ProtoCrewMember.RosterStatus.Assigned)) { //TAKE FUNDS } else if (crewMember.rosterStatus.Equals(ProtoCrewMember.RosterStatus.Available)) { //TAKE FUNDS }. As you can see, I don't even contemplate the possibility of the kerbal being dead.

All my wat. Made me actally laugh out loud reading this line, would not expect it in any part of this forum.

On a somewhat related note, have you done anything to add a something to the stock toolbar? I've had a white square in it since I installed this mod or around that. If not it's simply one of my other bazillion mods.

All my wat. Made me actally laugh out loud reading this line, would not expect it in any part of this forum.

On a somewhat related note, have you done anything to add a something to the stock toolbar? I've had a white square in it since I installed this mod or around that. If not it's simply one of my other bazillion mods.

I am having that problem too.

Nothing happens (yet). I could detect if other mods are installed to make it easier, or even playable. Or also, make it possible to fire all kerbonauts, or even give some amount of government funds to get you started.

It works out okay, I just feel bad my kerbals aren't getting paid many times.

I know you aren't making it to specifically fit other mods, but is it possible to have a monthly option for mods like KCT? That way we can plan ahead a bit and make sure we can make payroll at the first of the month or something like that. (To be honest, I'm not entirely understanding of Kerbin time, 6 hour days is all I know. Not sure how long a month would be)

I also have the white box people are referencing in the above post.

A suggestion:

How about maintenance costs for every flight in progress, not only when Kerbals are active?

The poor Kerbals at KSC need money for snacks during supervision of manned/unmanned flights! :)

One possibility to gain money would be through communication fees, a vessel with a Communotron 16 around kerbin should yield xx money, a Comms DTS-1 would yield more and the Communotron 88-88 the most.

You should only get money from the 88-88 if it's geostationary (or keostationary) around 2800km, Communotrons 16 gain money in LKO (200km?) and DTS-1 between 200 and 2800km.

The better the reputation, the more you earn, but to avoid satellite spamming the total amount of money you get should drop drastically after a certain amount of satellites (eg 6 for the Comm 88-88, 4 in geostationary and 2 polar) in Orbit.

Regards,

Stage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.