[.25.x] RealRoster - Editor Crew Tab Fixed

enneract

Awesome mod, just found this via your sig.

It would be neat if there was a way to fill the ship with the least-stupid Kerbals first. Maybe a button? It doesn't matter for stock, but Interstellar and Extraplanetary Launchpads look at the stupidity values of the crew to determine productivity.

I had considered it, but I don't necessarily want to completely automate auto-crewing. There should be some thought involved, and that involves the user choosing which kerbals should be on a flight. Fortunately, if you have this mod installed, you dont have to worry about that choice resetting :)

Wow, I really like the idea of this; everything in the OP speaks to experiences I've had (and everyone else has had, no doubt)

So I'll probably be trying this out.

However, let me just say that I do have another solution that is elegant in its simplicity and personally satisfying....

I just stick the three up in orbit in their own personal prison outpost on administrative leave an assignment of the utmost importance and I appreciate their enthusiasm for the mission.

I cant get it to stop black listing Bill Bob and Jeb, even after commenting that section out in the cfg.

Also, I'd love a feature if you feel it fits in with the scope. "Disable Auto-Hire" to keep the game from autohiring kerbals if I'm running low in the roster.

Edited by UAL002

I cant get it to stop black listing Bill Bob and Jeb, even after commenting that section out in the cfg.
That makes two of us!

I'll look in to it this weekend. I'll admit that I didn't test leaving that section entirely blank, but I'm pretty sure that I know what the issue is. As a workaround, please try leaving an empty entry.

Also, I'd love a feature if you feel it fits in with the scope. "Disable Auto-Hire" to keep the game from autohiring kerbals if I'm running low in the roster.

Not super feasible, unfortunately. I can't stop kerbals from actually being hired, I could just track them and immediately delete them. This wouldn't play nice with mods like MCE which charge you for them.

Why did you hide the real path behind a url shortener? And it says "Dropbox" but it took me to https://copy.com/7KDmUGDte9fyR8U3/RealRoster-RC1.zip?download=1. Is that legit? And please make the link show the actual path.

For the sake of others who might read this comment and be curious - the 'Dropbox' label was a brain fart. I used to use dropbox for this, and switched to Copy.com due to larger free allocations. The url shortener is so that I could get an idea of how many downloads were happening, and adjust hosting if it reached a threshold which threatened to deactivate the link.

Edited by enneract

For the sake of others who might read this comment and be curious - the 'Dropbox' label was a brain fart. I used to use dropbox for this, and switched to Copy.com due to larger free allocations. The url shortener is so that I could get an idea of how many downloads were happening, and adjust hosting if it reached a threshold which threatened to deactivate the link.

Okay, that is a good reason. It just surprised me when I clicked a link named "Dropbox" and got sent somewhere else. I wasn't sure if I should trust it or not. I apologize.

Okay, that is a good reason. It just surprised me when I clicked a link named "Dropbox" and got sent somewhere else. I wasn't sure if I should trust it or not. I apologize.

Fair enough! Either way, the link is more direct now. Unless I get featured or something, the rate of download isn't going to turn off the link.

I figured out my issue. I had to re-add the enneract folder. I eliminated it to match all the other mods folder structure.

Ahh! Yea, that would do it. As soon as I can be arsed to fire up my laptop with my ksp dev environment this weekend, I'll make that path relative to the location of the dll

if I crew, head out to the launchpad and then reset to the VAB, the vessel is uncrewed again. Auto-crew is set to False

This is tricky. Each time you re-enter the editor, it is a new 'session', and data does not persist between 'sessions'. I'll see if I can figure something out for you.

This shoudn't be a mod.

Jeb is sick, stuck in a can for 5 years, and 1 min later he aggressively replaces himself in the roster...

What are you saying is happening? Is the mod adding him to the roster even though he is on a mission? Or is it adding him back even though he has been dead for 5 years? Not very clear.

I do like the concept of this mod very much, and am awaiting another update to address the issues enneract has said he is working on before I add it to my large list of mods =)

I think he means this shouldn't be a mod, but should be stock.

It's unrealistic that Jeb would volounteer to be on the first mission right after spending the last 5 years in space, unless Jeb is a sick space-holic.

What are you saying is happening? Is the mod adding him to the roster even though he is on a mission? Or is it adding him back even though he has been dead for 5 years? Not very clear.

I do like the concept of this mod very much, and am awaiting another update to address the issues enneract has said he is working on before I add it to my large list of mods =)

The only outstanding bug that does not have a simple workaround is the lack of persistence of manual crew selection on reset to VAB. I'm not sure if this is fixable, unfortunately. Potential solutions have, so far, introduced even more bugs. My mod maintains a relationship between the Part objects in the editor and the crew which is 'assigned' to them (because the game doesn't, interestingly enough), and uses this relationship to regenerate the crew roster each time the editor is updated. I can't simply save this relationship into the flight scene because those Part objects are no longer valid when re-entering the VAB, but without this relationship, I can't rebuild the crew roster. There are ways to deal with this, but I haven't figured out how to determine the difference between starting the editor scene from a .craft file, and starting it upon revert to VAB (each situation would demand different behavior). If anyone knows how to do that, please mention it.

Other than that, you may need to have at least an empty entry in the randomization blacklist to prevent it regenerating, and you need to keep the config file in the default installation path. Either way, my focus right now is on my other in-development mod, OMS, and real life :( Don't hold your breath for fixes for any of these issues at the moment, at least not from me (notice the license!).

Edited by enneract

The only outstanding bug that does not have a simple workaround is the lack of persistence of manual crew selection on reset to VAB. I'm not sure if this is fixable, unfortunately. Potential solutions have, so far, introduced even more bugs. My mod maintains a relationship between the Part objects in the editor and the crew which is 'assigned' to them (because the game doesn't, interestingly enough), and uses this relationship to regenerate the crew roster each time the editor is updated. I can't simply save this relationship into the flight scene because those Part objects are no longer valid when re-entering the VAB, but without this relationship, I can't rebuild the crew roster. There are ways to deal with this, but I haven't figured out how to determine the difference between starting the editor scene from a .craft file, and starting it upon revert to VAB (each situation would demand different behavior). If anyone knows how to do that, please mention it.

Other than that, you may need to have at least an empty entry in the randomization blacklist to prevent it regenerating, and you need to keep the config file in the default installation path. Either way, my focus right now is on my other in-development mod, OMS, and real life :( Don't hold your breath for fixes for any of these issues at the moment, at least not from me (notice the license!).

Ah, good to know, and thanks for the information enneract. I unfortunately do not know how to solve your problem =\.

I will test the mod in my game and see if I want to keep it in as is, rather than just by going off the posts in this thread. =)

Good luck with OMS btw~

I think this is a pretty good idea, I already had a problem with this once since the 24 update... Had a command pod under a probe, and even though I had emptied it previously manually, because of some editing Jeb managed to sneak back into it... So I had to complete my rescue mission by trading Jeb for the other stranded Kerbal, then go right on back to rescue Jeb (got a soft spot for him :P.)

P2YL1e6.png

Just wanted to chime in that this is one of my favorite little mods. It, combined with Final Frontier, make my astronaut core a lot more varied as well as storied. I'm debating moving my original trio out to the island airbase to retire them permanently (with honors for their time since November 2013). This for now, makes all of the difference.

-Vic

Just wanted to chime in that this is one of my favorite little mods. It, combined with Final Frontier, make my astronaut core a lot more varied as well as storied. I'm debating moving my original trio out to the island airbase to retire them permanently (with honors for their time since November 2013). This for now, makes all of the difference.

-Vic

I'm glad you enjoy the mod :)

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.