[1.1.2] Rovers & Roadsters v0.7.2

AlphaAsh

Why is it good to have trucks and vehicles like this? Is it worth it? Why even bother with things like this?

I mean, I can see reusing spaceplanes over and over again, saving money. But can anyone tell me how you can save money by reusing tankers and such?

If you only ever land your spaceplanes at the KSC, fair enough. I made a mod that provides lots more places to land. I've made a mod (this one) to support logistical operations at any base, not just KSC, and I'm now busy creating a feature in another mod for buying, storing and transfering fuel.

In isolation this may seem pointless to you. Combined with my other projects to expand KSP, it doesn't to me. I release my mods to be used by those who do see a point and based on the fact they are downloaded and used, clearly others do see a point.

And even if there doesn't seem to be any real advantage, driving around Kerbin in a sports car is b i t c h i n' fun when you aren't throwing rockets in to the cosmos or trying "to save money". We all play the game for different reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't mean to sound hostile at all, I just really love the managerial aspects of the game, and would love to see methods to refuel spaceplanes and such. I have a bit of an idea, too: My idea is a tanker truck that has a docking hatch on the top. Whenever it needs to refuel something, it can detach the tank, recover it, and then (using the part itself as a seperate ship with a mechjeb module on it for control and a docking hatch) get a second tank, attach it to the truck and then drive the truck over to the spaceplane and refuel it using KAS. All that would mean that I wouldn't have to recover the spaceplane to refuel it, and I wouldn't have to recover the tanker truck either! All that would need to be recovered each time would be the tank itself! Think this would work?

I'm currently putting the final touches to working fuel storage at bases in Kerbal Konstructs. In instances where it'd be better to transfer fuel from one of those to a spaceplane, if the spaceplane can't go to the tank, then a KAS equipped fuel tanker becomes a realistic re-usable asset.

EDIT - Also it's entirely possible to have a fuel tanker in two parts, a cab and trailer, connected by a docking port.

I'm currently putting the final touches to working fuel storage at bases in Kerbal Konstructs. In instances where it'd be better to transfer fuel from one of those to a spaceplane, if the spaceplane can't go to the tank, then a KAS equipped fuel tanker becomes a realistic re-usable asset.

EDIT - Also it's entirely possible to have a fuel tanker in two parts, a cab and trailer, connected by a docking port.

Will you be making that fuel tank destructible and also will there be an option to ONLY add it to the KSC? I'm not a fan of multiple launching locations.

Will you be making that fuel tank destructible and also will there be an option to ONLY add it to the KSC? I'm not a fan of multiple launching locations.

It'll be a static object that you interface with through Kerbal Konstructs' GUI. That also means you can use KK's editor to place fuel tanks as you please. The next version of KK will include some already placed examples of 'working' fuel tanks, including an instance near the start of the KSC runway.

EDIT

kkwipfueltanks.jpg

That's WIP on fuel tanks. It's changed a little since I took that screenie but not much.

Edited by AlphaAsh

randr04new.jpg

v0.4 now available from KerbalStuff.

New Parts:

• Two 1x1(BaseBox) Cabs
  • 1x1(BaseBox) Crew Habitat
  • 1x1 compatible Radial Wheelarch
  • 1x05 4-Kerbal Passenger Compartment
  • 1x05 Van Cab v2 (now without the wheelarch!)
  • Probe Controlled Octabase Hub
  • 1x1(BaseBox) to 2 1x1(BaseBox) Coupler
  • 1x1(BaseBox) to 1x05 Radial Adapter
  • 1x1(BaseBox) to 2 1x05 Adapter/Coupler
  • 1x1(BaseBox) to Standard 1.25m Adapter
  • 1x1(BaseBox) Inline Wheelarch

Changes:

• Switched to using Model in configs and moved all mu and texture files into an Assets folder.
  • Please delete old R&R before installing new version.
  • Part identifiers have NOT changed so, fingers crossed, old craft shouldn't break. No guarantee.
  • Got rid of the placeholder wheels in the Squad folder and switched to using a Module Manager config. You'll need the latest Module Manager if you want khorsepowered wheels.
  • You can delete the placeholder wheels in the Squad folder from the previous version of R&R.
  • The Octabase Hub was previously released in a separate mod.

• 3 months later...

v0.5 of Rovers & Roadsters now available from KerbalStuff.

Changelog:

• Tested for compatibility in KSP 1.0.
  • Textures converted to DDS.
  • Tweaked part masses and some other attributes for better KSP 1.0 integration.
  • Removed v1 van cab - the v2 cab is better.
  • Removed the Octabase Hub - it belongs in a different pack.
  • Fixed error in large trailer's model name.

I can put something together. Rather fed up trying to get rockets in to space at the moment anyway :P

LOL, that wold be great, and I'm still having trouble getting that ramp to connect to the bed to operate properly.

... I'm still having trouble getting that ramp to connect to the bed to operate properly.

Just did some testing on this and KSP 1.x has changed something in animations. So yes, the ramp's not working at the moment.

v2.1 of Kerbin's Age of Pioneers parts pack available from KerbalStuff.

Changelog:

• Many new parts.
  • Tested for 1.0.2 compatibility.
  • Switched from mesh to model in configs and all model and texture files moved to an Assets folder.

v2.1 of Kerbin's Age of Pioneers parts pack available from KerbalStuff.

Changelog:

• Many new parts.
  • Tested for 1.0.2 compatibility.
  • Switched from mesh to model in configs and all model and texture files moved to an Assets folder.

Hi i have some loading issues, it does not load the weels for making the rovers/cars. Any idee why it can be? (are there other mod required or something? i tried this with only this mod loaded) in the log it only says (when i try to load one of your builds posted in this forum):

[shipConstruct]: Trying to load Trailer Truck - No AvailablePart found for wheelMedkhorse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.