[1.1.2] Rovers & Roadsters v0.7.2

AlphaAsh

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Kerbman! said:

I have a part request, could we get an inline battery in both box and standard sizes? 

Mk1x05 and 1x1(BoxBase)  inline batteries request received. Sure. I'll try and get them done for the 1.1 update.

v0.7 of Rovers and Roadsters for KSP 1.1 now available from SpaceDock

Changelog:

• .Updated for KSP 1.1.
  • All placeholder khorsepower wheels re-configured. This is a first try at it so expect future tweaks. Wheels in KSP 1.1 are a lot more difficult to configure properly now.
  • Khorsepower output of most engines rescaled for better differentiation between pod types.
  • Added an inline 1x05 and BoxBase battery.
  • Fixed some hatches that were broken.
  • All placeholder IVAs reviewed and revised, to try and reduce seat error spam in the log. If you're planning to use any of the pods in R&R from the interior... yeah, it still looks rubbish. I will get around to IVAs. Soonish.
Edited by AlphaAsh

A letter to the few that use Kerbin's Age of Pioneers:

Sorry chaps and chapesses but I am planning to discontinue public updates and releases of this mod, for many reasons. There's many excellent alternatives to the parts in this pack and I've not time to commit to improving on the parts in KAP.

However, that's not to say that there aren't some elements of KAP's original concept that I won't explore in future.

Thanks for using the mod.

KAP does have a restrictive licence on it, I know. If someone I trust wishes to take up the mantle of updating the configs for compatibility with future versions of KSP, drop me a line. However, I do not wish to release the artwork or assets for modification.

:( mfw:

2 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

A letter to the few that use Kerbin's Age of Pioneers:

Sorry chaps and chapesses but I am planning to discontinue public updates and releases of this mod, for many reasons. There's many excellent alternatives to the parts in this pack and I've not time to commit to improving on the parts in KAP.

However, that's not to say that there aren't some elements of KAP's original concept that I won't explore in future.

Thanks for using the mod.

KAP does have a restrictive licence on it, I know. If someone I trust wishes to take up the mantle of updating the configs for compatibility with future versions of KSP, drop me a line. However, I do not wish to release the artwork or assets for modification.

The nodes on the trailer bed parts are a bit bugged. It's very limited on what will snap to them and then, some will only snap to the bottom no matter which way you turn them. Might be related to when they changed nodes to have up and down.

1 hour ago, Vorg said:

The nodes on the trailer bed parts are a bit bugged. It's very limited on what will snap to them and then, some will only snap to the bottom no matter which way you turn them. Might be related to when they changed nodes to have up and down.

Cheers for the report. I'll have a look at them.

So was playing around with this last night in an early career mode trying to build a cheep science rover for going around KSP and noticed some balancing problems.

The wheel arch/boxes are 100cr, but the simple middle sized box/frame in the same size is 4x the cost.

The Yellow van cab has the smallest engine of the early cabs and no air intake yet cost the most. I think it also is among the lowest on included fuel.

There where other values that seemed a bit off when compairing parts.

I know wheels still need work and even the stock wheels are having problems, but using the middle sized wheels and with the stress indicator showing 0 for all wheels, I broke both front wheels driving off the dirt runway on to the grass where it changes angles. They seem a bit fragile. I also am finding the traction/friction options confusing. There is a slider that goes from 0-5 and default is 1. Trying to make it stop acting like the rear tires are being sprayed with oil, I tried bumping it up to 2. But at 2, they want to go backwards... I think it was the traction slider.

Also just noticed, none of the cabins can take science. :(

Edited by Vorg

I too build a science collecting 6x6 lorry for running around ksc in early career mode, I put the lack of ability to do crew reports down the kerbols not having the right pen & paper in the truck cab, having left it in the real space ship/planes....

The wheels I have been trying to find in the parts folders (not sure where they come from) to adjust some settings, I often find a set of them breaking on me.

A few ideas;

Is the a way to repair the wheels with an engineer? Would be useful if so. - Me being stupid again, today isnt a great day for m brain really...

The boot module would be nice to have working with KIS (I am so used to KIS I assumed it would... sorry!)

In the SPH a lot of the parts seem to be a little "funny" when trying to attach surface objects - they act as if they are all cylinders instead of flat surfaces - is this intentional?

Edited by Marrv

21 hours ago, Vorg said:

... words ...

Cost balancing could do with a look at. Want the job? :)

I'm still confused by many of the wheel options. Have an experiment yourself and let me know what you discover.

Regarding science, yeah that was to try and keep that 'civilian' feel to the parts but I agree it's a limitation that just annoys more than anything. I'll probably change that.

4 hours ago, Marrv said:

...I put the lack of ability to do crew reports down the kerbols not having the right pen & paper in the truck cab, having left it in the real space ship/planes....

The wheels I have been trying to find in the parts folders (not sure where they come from) to adjust some settings, I often find a set of them breaking on me.

...The boot module would be nice to have working with KIS (I am so used to KIS I assumed it would... sorry!)

In the SPH a lot of the parts seem to be a little "funny" when trying to attach surface objects - they act as if they are all cylinders instead of flat surfaces - is this intentional?

And yeah, not being able to crew report is probably just too annoying.

You won't find the wheels. I use ModuleManager to clone placeholders. Have a look in the included MM config if you want to fiddle with the settings.

Regarding "funny" colliders, please be more specific about which parts. Some compromises have to be made to make a collider on a complex part.

EDIT:

...they act as if they are all cylinders instead of flat surfaces...

If this is what I think you mean, then stock parts do this too. Change Toggle Snap.

Edited by AlphaAsh

It may well be the compromises then; it is not an issue more an aesthetic/ease of use one (trailer unit nodes & surface attaching is a little off), trying to attach things to the side of the truck cab (was using bruteforce) the item clips in.

Nothing mod breaking tbh

After I quit the game last night I remembered that one of Rover dudes mods has a science box as a part to a mini rover kit. But I don't recall seeing it. So it may not unlock until later when you get the rover.

58 minutes ago, Vorg said:

After I quit the game last night I remembered that one of Rover dudes mods has a science box as a part to a mini rover kit. But I don't recall seeing it. So it may not unlock until later when you get the rover.

That's a neat solution for the interim.

When I change toggle snap they dont snap to antything & just pass through the surface, but that might be editor extensions playing up. Got distracted building planes today will look tomorrow

@fast_de_la_speed is looking at doing the IVAs and since he's reliant on the source I sent him, I'd imagine backwards compatibility for 1.0.5 would be a lot of unwanted work for both of us.

Sorry, no. I won't be making the current version or future releases backwards compatible.

13 hours ago, Marrv said:

When I change toggle snap they dont snap to antything & just pass through the surface, but that might be editor extensions playing up. Got distracted building planes today will look tomorrow

I'm having no problems attaching radial parts to the parts in R&R with snapping off.

v0.7.1 available from SpaceDock.

Changelog:

• Added KIS support to the boot. Needs ModuleManager (included).
  • Tweaked some nodes on trailer parts.
  • Tweaked some costs.
  • Added crew report and science storage functions to all pods and compartments.
  • Updated the bundled version of ModuleManager.

10 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

I'm having no problems attaching radial parts to the parts in R&R with snapping off.

There is some wonkyness with radial attacthing. I tried radial attaching the solar panels from a roverdudes mod to one of the cabs in the SPH and it wanted to put one upside down compaired to the other. But a bit latter in the same session it worked. I have seen others reporting strange problems with radial attaching and it sounds to me like it might be a stock problem that is hitting mods at simi-random.

Edited by Vorg

I've seen that wonkiness plenty of times before 1.1 and I think it's probably linked with the same bugs that come with symmetry on symettry.

It's not a specific problem with R&R.

I am looking at some of the new aerodynamics parameters to see if something like bulkheads is now required to alleviate such crap.

Edited by AlphaAsh

17 hours ago, AlphaAsh said:

v0.7.1 available from SpaceDock.

Changelog:

• Added KIS support to the boot. Needs ModuleManager (included).
  • Tweaked some nodes on trailer parts.
  • Tweaked some costs.
  • Added crew report and science storage functions to all pods and compartments.
  • Updated the bundled version of ModuleManager.

Good news bad news? I tried it tonight and I can now attach to the bottom of the trailer bed, but not the top. To use the nodes on the bed I have to turn it up side down or they hang down from under it. In some ways flipping over is a good then because it puts the parts lower. There are simi-truck trailers that have the middle section lowered like that. But it also puts some parts in side the trailer such as where the node is over the attachment block.

Another problem, maybe not related to this mod, While in the SPH testing this, I crashed to desktop and I don't see any crash logs in the KSP folder tree.

35 minutes ago, Vorg said:

Good news bad news? I tried it tonight and I can now attach to the bottom of the trailer bed, but not the top.

Can I get a list of other mods please?

The only problem I found with the trailer nodes was that they were ever so slightly off. I actually implemented the fixes for node orientation back in KSP 1.0.5 when it was introduced and I'm seeing no issues here. Hence your initial report left me going huh?

EDIT - And a screenshot would help to confirm we're on the same page as to what is up and down on the part.

EDIT 2 - Ah ha! Okay I know what's going here now. It is the orientation on the nodes. I've been testing attachment with the trailer walls and they might be the wrong way round too.

Edited by AlphaAsh

28 minutes ago, Vorg said:

Good news bad news? I tried it tonight and I can now attach to the bottom of the trailer bed, but not the top. To use the nodes on the bed I have to turn it up side down or they hang down from under it.

Well done for persisting on this. Turns out, the orientation of the nodes of the parts I was using to test the trailer bed nodes are also the wrong way around. Hence I wasn't seeing what you were seeing.

Fix is on the way.

v0.7.2 available from SpaceDock.

Changelog:

• Fixed orientation of trailer bed nodes.
  • Fixed orientation of connecting trailer parts.
  • Credit to Vorg for finding the issue.

1 bug smashed, and another pops out... :) It's wack a bug.  The wheels (yes, I know, they..), My guess is that the numbers (.60, .70, .95) are the scale factors you used when reusing stock wheels? Did you also rescale the collider meshes? Because if they are too close to the fenders or the trailer or anything, they pop. Which means if they are up to close to any of the fenders, they pop when the craft is spawned. And I am seeing that the smaller wheels seem to need to be just as far down as the larger ones. I know they are having problems with landing gear and wheels breaking/exploding when they touch the ground which may be the problem. But what I am seeing is the wheels break and are listed as blocked when physics loads and the truck drops on the runway. If I move them way down, they seem ok, but with the truck wheels, the kerbals will need a ladder.

As for mods... yea, I am up to about 40 now :( I could get a list of the ones that AVC shows, but I am fairly sure this is ether the stock gear/wheel bug others see, or it's colliders mesh colliding and since I can simply move the wheels down to give more clearance, that seems the most likely. Now why they are a problem may be another story.

Edited by Vorg

19 minutes ago, Vorg said:

1 bug smashed, and another pops out... :) It's wack a bug.  The wheels (yes, I know, they..), My guess is that the numbers (.60, .70, .95) are the scale factors you used when reusing stock wheels? Did you also rescale the collider meshes? Because if they are too close to the fenders or the trailer or anything, they pop. Which means if they are up to close to any of the fenders, they pop when the craft is spawned. And I am seeing that the smaller wheels seem to need to be just as far down as the larger ones. I know they are having problems with landing gear and wheels breaking/exploding when they touch the ground which may be the problem. But what I am seeing is the wheels break and are listed as blocked when physics loads and the truck drops on the runway. If I move them way down, they seem ok, but with the truck wheels, the kerbals will need a ladder.

As for mods... yea, I am up to about 40 now :( I could get a list of the ones that AVC shows, but I am fairly sure this is ether the stock gear/wheel bug others see, or it's colliders mesh colliding and since I can simply move the wheels down to give more clearance, that seems the most likely. Now why they are a problem may be another story.

What I tend to do is move the whole craft up a bit in the VAB, and yes, connect the wheels very low. This seems to improve the situation and your best bet until I find a better solution.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.