Where is the Mun or Bust CSM?

G'th

Welp, where do you guys think the Mun or Bust rocket is on the Mun? I've tried to figure out but its hard to tell.

* Obviously it there probably isn't an actual rocket stuck into the Mun surface somewhere, but the actual location if it exists would be neat to see.

The title screen of the Kerbal on the Mun with the Mun or Bust rocket is actually the video game equivalent of a set on a TV show: it's a separate location from anything you can visit in-game that doesn't exist past what you can see in it. The same is true of the other title screen with 3 Kerbals in orbit around Kerbin. So you can't find that rocket anywhere on the Mun, as it so happens, because it only exists on that title screen.

The title screen of the Kerbal on the Mun with the Mun or Bust rocket is actually the video game equivalent of a set on a TV show: it's a separate location from anything you can visit in-game that doesn't exist past what you can see in it. The same is true of the other title screen with 3 Kerbals in orbit around Kerbin. So you can't find that rocket anywhere on the Mun, as it so happens, because it only exists on that title screen.

Are you suggesting this Mun "landing" was a Kollywood gimmick?!

It might still be possible to know the general location, if it's a realistic set; since the Mun is tidally locked there should only be one general area of the Mun where that would be the backdrop. Let's see:

NfUMRWN.png

Location analysis:

- in order to have Kerfrica (KSC's continent) appear to be that far north, you would have to be near the Mun's south pole.

- In order to have Kerbin that far above the horizon and have it aligned upright, you'd have to be near the Mun's North Pole.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything, but yeah, that must have been faked. Otherwise, either the planet would appear tilted differently or would appear upside-down.

Some year they should correct the background planet in that animation to match up with the real planet orientation and add the crashed lander as an Easter egg - but only after they add a way to salvage it with the claw!

Add that you don't get surface deformation like you get below the pod, you can get clipping, I had an drop tank end up clipped however by the time I landed and eva over it was gone, I landed less than 2.4 km from it.

That's a heck of a convoluted description, haha.... somewhat more succinctly: it's just a title screen. :P

It might still be possible to know the general location, if it's a realistic set; since the Mun is tidally locked there should only be one general area of the Mun where that would be the backdrop.

I think the Munar surface has been significantly altered since that image was created. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that title screen is somewhat elderly, and I seem to recall the Mun getting a wee bit of a face-lift about a year ago or so, but again, I could be wrong.

If I recall correctly, the Mün or Bust Screen is related to KurtJMac, a Youtuber who gave KSP a very big boost early on. There is no actual Spaceship stuck in the Mun's surface and since the Mun has now procedural generated craters, the "landing-site" is gone.

BUT... Tylo now owns the heightmap of the early mun. ;)

If I recall correctly, the Mün or Bust Screen is related to KurtJMac, a Youtuber who gave KSP a very big boost early on. There is no actual Spaceship stuck in the Mun's surface and since the Mun has now procedural generated craters, the "landing-site" is gone.

yep. Pretty much this.

Surprising that they haven't thought about adding it as an easter egg on the Mun.

At least rocket alone... with infinite amount of fuel... just think how nicely you could use it as a refuelling station with the Klaw...

;)

Talking of KurtJMac... He recently postet an old intro video of his KSP series, no comments made. I bet, there are things on the move behind the scene. If you havent watched his 103 part KSP series, its worth the time. Fun pure. Hopefully there is stuff to come.

Location analysis:

- in order to have Kerfrica (KSC's continent) appear to be that far north, you would have to be near the Mun's south pole.

- In order to have Kerbin that far above the horizon and have it aligned upright, you'd have to be near the Mun's North Pole.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything, but yeah, that must have been faked. Otherwise, either the planet would appear tilted differently or would appear upside-down.

I was thinking the same thing; There is no point on the Mun where Kerbin would show that far off it's axis. The Mun's orbit has zero inclination and it's radius is only half a degree of angle from Kerbin's surface, so the equator cannot show any more than .5* inclination from anywhere on the Mun.

Best,

-Slashy

Location analysis:

"That was amazing!" TM

I think the Munar surface has been significantly altered since that image was created. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that title screen is somewhat elderly, and I seem to recall the Mun getting a wee bit of a face-lift about a year ago or so, but again, I could be wrong.

I remember it being mostly whitish and less roundified at the hills/craters back in .20 when I started playing.

Really? I never really thought about it. But yeah, Tylo does looks similar to the "Old Mun"

It might still be possible to know the general location, if it's a realistic set; since the Mun is tidally locked there should only be one general area of the Mun where that would be the backdrop. Let's see:

http://i.imgur.com/NfUMRWN.png

Location analysis:

Some year they should correct the background planet in that animation to match up with the real planet orientation and add the crashed lander as an Easter egg - but only after they add a way to salvage it with the claw!

Additionally, the Skybox seems to suggest you're at the Poles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.