I'm afraid to launch my rocket

RocketBlam

My advice is simple: un-disable the Revert buttons. SQUAD put them in the game for a reason.

pressure from the millennials who don't have failure coping skills. purely a PR move.

hit the button, crashing and burning is half the fun of this game.

Normally in the rocket/space industry, there's something called "go fever", which can potentially result in launching before you're ready. I guess this one would have to be called "hold fever"... Heh :)

Interesting, I always thought of "Go Fever" as the near-fanatical enthusiasm for the space program in the US during the '60s (this perception was based on Gene Krantz' book, the first I came across the term). Never heard it used the way you and the link mention, something new everyday I guess.

Abort procedure? Once I've had to abort an ascending, due to fuel issues (in particular, forget fuel lines :D), and I managed to safely recover the whole rocket. I had not a procedure for that, everithing was improvisation.

So if I did it, why you not? Just strap chutes on every section and eventually a crew escape mechanism!

I've done my share of improvised abort sequences. They don't work too well for spaceplanes. Decouple the pilot's seat, blast your self away from the inevitable wreck with some sepratrons, and deploy chutes to save the pilots. I've had to do that because I don't use revert, even from 0.22.

Meh.... I should disable the revert to. After 1500+ hours in the game, I have a tendency to throw stuff together that I know will get the payload where I want it to be, but I get careless and forget to check staging, or maybe I forgot a fuel line... I just don't check the details as much as I used to. I kind of miss the stress of the unknown.. You know, back when I wasn't sure if a full 8 orange tank/Mainsail lifter with asparagus staging would get an MK1 pod into orbit.

This isn't a game for pansies, for wimps. THIS IS A GAME FOR MEN! Look in your cockpit. LOOK IN IT! Look at Jebediah, is he afraid of the vast unknown, is he afraid to leave the *playground*? NO! He is putting his life on the line, and the only thing stopping him from strapping his arse on a 500 ton MISSILE OF DEATH is your...reluctance to let him live his dreams! You talk about the Kerbal Way? YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE KERBAL WAY! You are a disgrace to those you claim to serve! DO you think the Nemesis was built out of safety and fear? NO, it took dozens of failed launches and hundreds of dead space marines to get it right! YOU ARE BUT *FINGERS* FROM *BELOW*, YET YOU FAIL TO LAUNCH EVEN THE MOST BASIC ROCKET! IF YOU CAN'T MAN UP ENOUGH TO LAUNCH THAT SHIP, I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN IN THESE FORUMS! What are you, Spathi?

I can't look at Jeb! I killed him in a previous launch!

(Runs away sobbing)

Since you have disabled the revert to VAB, test in Sandbox as styckx has suggested. I did so to design a cheap SRB launcher for testing the TR-2V and LV-1 at Kerbal escape velocity. The design, a three stage probe rocket of five SRBs arranged as three full power, one full power, and the top stage at 50% power. The LV-1 had a note that says you have to select it to test while at escape. Just the Stayputnik SAS was sufficient stability for a straight up to escape flight. Not the most efficient, but the most cost effective for a no return mission.

Yes, treat sandbox as the simulator, normal rockets are extensively simulated in real world too.

My reason for revert is all the stupid mistakes like staging bugs, also all the crashes.

I can't believe it took almost 4 pages for someone to mention this, ... but this thread is worthless without pics :wink:

YES !!! we all need to see this Rocket of DOOM ( Pre and post explosion .......... I mean launch)

Interesting, I always thought of "Go Fever" as the near-fanatical enthusiasm for the space program in the US during the '60s (this perception was based on Gene Krantz' book, the first I came across the term). Never heard it used the way you and the link mention, something new everyday I guess.

Huh, I've always heard it in the context of pressing forth, potentially missing safety considerations. The Challenger incident comes to mind (launching despite evidence of safety concerns with the cold weather).

My advice is simple: un-disable the Revert buttons. SQUAD put them in the game for a reason.

The problem is, the revert buttons sort of screw up contracts. I mean they work fine, but it's hard NOT to make money if you never wreck a rocket.

Now I only undisable them if I've done something really stupid, like forgotten to put most of my science experiments on the ship.

ETA: NGAAAAAHHH! I AM *SQUEEZING* THE *JUICE*!

Edited by RocketBlam

Add a launch escape system.

Put all the parachute on the abort button.

Check all fuel lines, parachutes, stage orders and struts.

LAUNCH!

In a side note I've lost over a 1.5 mil in failed craft and even had one fall over on the launch pad (no reverts and x8 costs). I know your feels.

• 1 year later...

Yes, treat sandbox as the simulator, normal rockets are extensively simulated in real world too.

Real rockets are actually tested in full test flight too. And just like in KSP the first test flights usually show some overlooked problems, eg Saturn V and pogo, N1 and its engine control, Falcon 9 and not enough struts etc etc.

Only difference is real life space program usually don't do test launches with 80% of their budget that will sink or swim the whole program. That's an area of Career that could use some improvement. It would be nice to see some kind of government budget simulation where you get regular funding from the government to keep the program alive, so you are never in a situation where you can't afford to launch anymore just because of launch failures.

That said if a singled failed launch has the potential to bankrupt your space program it probably mean you should attempt something less ambitions first to grow your budget.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.