[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Thanks again, Kell. Hope Squad pays you, cause the game wouldn't be the same without you :P (both because of your mods, and your volume, consistency, & quality of community feedback/help for all KSP mods).

So, how does Kopernicus deal with map exports then? I don't see a map export anywhere in Kopernicus is the thing.

I also don't see anywhere in RSS that then reads the *1.png and *2.png files which get created (see here). Is this just picked up by Squad's implementation or something?

Finally, and most importantly, what format was Kopernicus going to implement the PQSMod behavior in? Was it going to just do what PF does and read (or dynamically read) a node for each PQSMod with the node named after the PQSMod's class name? or was it going to abstract the terminology to be more user-friendly to less technical users?

For now, I am thinking I will just make a reader (dynamic if possible) for PF PQSMod configs, but if I knew how the configs were supposed to be structured, I'd rather just build out the methods for that instead ;)

Guys a few posts back I asked if the Kopernicus team could help me with my new version of StarSystems. Anyone?

Currently the Kopernicus team doesn't even have time for Kopernicus; the last commit to the repo was a month ago. I am spending what little time I have working on understanding Kopernicus, much less contributing to it. Once I finish work on the Planet Factory reader to my satisfaction, I'll work on adding multi-star management to Kopernicus if I can; probably adapting some code snippets from Star Systems for things like solar panel management. But that's months (at least) away. Thanks to the ShellShock vulnerability, my day job just got a whole lot more busy.

Edited by dreadicon

Augustus: Here you go. This is also helpful.

dreadicon: Haha no. :) But thanks so much!

As I said above--maybe I wasn't clear?--those map exports are not directly used by KSP. All scaled space maps that RSS uses are textures in the folder that I load (just like you'd load any other texture). The export is there if you want something to start from, which you then rename/move/etc, hand-edit to taste, and hook up (in RSS.cfg) so it gets loaded. See the giant texture packs in the RSS OP.

From what you're saying Kopernicus creates them automatically if unspecified, or something?

Kopernicus will be using a fully reflection-based loader for PQSMods, so arbitrary PQSMods are supported; you specify the various variables' values in confignode format, and Kopernicus reads it in, creates the PQSMod if it doesn't already exist for that body, and then applies your settings. I'd PM Teknoman (or open an issue) and ask if the final schema is decided; that's what you'd convert PF configs to.

Augustus: Here you go. This is also helpful.

dreadicon: Haha no. :) But thanks so much!

As I said above--maybe I wasn't clear?--those map exports are not directly used by KSP. All scaled space maps that RSS uses are textures in the folder that I load (just like you'd load any other texture). The export is there if you want something to start from, which you then rename/move/etc, hand-edit to taste, and hook up (in RSS.cfg) so it gets loaded. See the giant texture packs in the RSS OP.

From what you're saying Kopernicus creates them automatically if unspecified, or something?

Kopernicus will be using a fully reflection-based loader for PQSMods, so arbitrary PQSMods are supported; you specify the various variables' values in confignode format, and Kopernicus reads it in, creates the PQSMod if it doesn't already exist for that body, and then applies your settings. I'd PM Teknoman (or open an issue) and ask if the final schema is decided; that's what you'd convert PF configs to.

Dude, what I need is help on instantiating from scratch. I have a little brother who can help me code.....

I certainly will give you guys credit for your code when I pull it in as I have yet to pull in your corona resources or star fix and such. The things I introduced in that push was purely to load the shader properties for stars from a config. This is of course not finished, as the corona settings is just a place holding stub ATM.

Tekno, please give me credit if you used me and Oven's code.

You're free to use it otherwise.

With that attitude, I must remind you that StarSystems uses code I wrote for fixing stars, the solar panel reset "fix" comes to mind, yet the only credit I am given is a comment in the source code. I cant help but feel somewhat ripped off as Starsystems replaced my "StarFix" functionality in my mod. But this is the first time I have ever complained, and I am ok with that as StarFix was never really the scope of my plugin.

Edited by KCreator

Ok, so noobish question:

I'm looking for a mod that would allow me to add a new planet and a moon for it in an unoccupied orbit. Will this in its current state let me do that?

I don't believe in its current iteration it's capable of creating planets without a great deal of manual effort and a lot of knowledge. However, the aim, as far as I understand, is to be able to do what you're asking, it's just not at that point yet.

I don't believe in its current iteration it's capable of creating planets without a great deal of manual effort and a lot of knowledge. However, the aim, as far as I understand, is to be able to do what you're asking, it's just not at that point yet.

Thanks for the info! Any clue if Krag's Planet Factory CE is still functional at the moment? I know its not being worked on anymore but I just want something to mess around with till this gets further into development.

Ok, so noobish question:

I'm looking for a mod that would allow me to add a new planet and a moon for it in an unoccupied orbit. Will this in its current state let me do that?

You can add planets with Kopernicus, but you cannot change their terrain or textures.

Not true.

The config parameters are mostly in place.

That being said I don't think PQS has config nodes yet. Hopefully I'm wrong.

PQS, so far as I can tell, is partly implemented. I'm trying to get an answer from one of the devs definitively if dynamic PQS has been fully implemented. If it is (and I am pointed generally to where/how), I can finish my script to change PlanetFactory configs over to Kopernicus configs. And share it, of course xD.

But till I can get some better guidance (or at least informed definitively that full dynamic PQSMod support is in), I won't be finishing the script very soon. I'd implement the config reader myself if I could get just a little help; I'm an experienced C# coder; just not so good with Unity/KSP's API, and Reflection still confuses me occasionally xD.

Thanks for the info! Any clue if Krag's Planet Factory CE is still functional at the moment? I know its not being worked on anymore but I just want something to mess around with till this gets further into development.

PF:CE Umm.. well I've tried it with the 64 bit version of ksp and it did load. The thing is it didn't play well with other mods. Any resource adding mod sort of broke PF. It had the same bug as kethane did a while ago where the map would jitter around when you move it, and the kethane overlay breaks. Kopernicus of course, would be completely compatible because it's doing what vanilla ksp does, just expanding on it.

Anyway if all you want to use is PF, go ahead and try it on your install, it's just not going to like it if you ask it to be friends with all your other mods.