[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Quick little question I apolgize if I missed, but how is this with backwards compatabillity, basically, can I load PF CE planets into Kopernicus? Or will they need to be remade?

There will eventually be either a conversion script that will convert your configs to Kopernicus, or it will automatically detect them and perform the conversion itself. Obviously the latter would be more convenient, but right now I think the team is mostly focused on making things work period first.

As of now, no. Kopernicus is currently unable to read Planet Factory configs of any kind. I am working on a script, but am hung up on details of PQS implementation. I need to know if Kopernicus configs support dynamic PQS or are close to supporting dynamic PQS, and what format is wanted for PQS in kopernicus.

I'm really bummed right now. I had a DMP modpak with more Planet Factory planets than any sane computer could load. Unfortunately, on .25, it seems to try to load the entire modpak into VRAM which just can't happen due to the pathetic 1.5gb memory on my card. %P

So I am very much in the market for a new planets mod right now. During the long, agonizing, wait for .25, I re-visited Spore and was reminded about how awesome their procedural planet generator was. I wish they hadn't dumbed down their game as much as they did. =~(

So I beseached the almighty GOOG to bless me with links, here's what I came up with:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/truly-procedural-planet-generator.198536/

http://vterrain.org/Elevation/Artificial/

http://vterrain.org/Packages/Artificial/

So my current state of mind is that we need to be able to continue to support basic manually entered planets such as Planet Factory but the way of the future is in procedural content generation where a planet is specified by a set of configuration parameters and generator seeds and the fractal is filled in at runtime, as needed, at any level of detail.

The planet would have to be stored as config-file + deltas. So when Jeb crashes into it, the crater is stored as a delta to the planet... Smaller details of the impact could be omitted to save resources... Anyway, I'm pipe-dreaming at this point... I can't even get monodevolp installed on my linux distro. =(

I have found an interesting bug regarding what I believe to be the PQS. I have found that when there is a copied planet that uses the same PQS as the parent planet or other planets derived from the same parent, all the planets seem to share one copy of the PQS. What I mean is that while they will all have the same radius, when i edit one PQS all the planets will change. I have found this when I have edited the planets using RSS.

An example of this is my extra planets pack for RSS. I forgot to check this before release so I released it :/

I have found an interesting bug regarding what I believe to be the PQS. I have found that when there is a copied planet that uses the same PQS as the parent planet or other planets derived from the same parent, all the planets seem to share one copy of the PQS. What I mean is that while they will all have the same radius, when i edit one PQS all the planets will change. I have found this when I have edited the planets using RSS.

An example of this is my extra planets pack for RSS. I forgot to check this before release so I released it :/

That is ... strange. I'll look into it.

is it possible/will you have support for making planets rotate at an angle (like earth) and/or clockwise (like venus) as opposed to the anticlockwise and flat to their plane that the stock planets seem to have? i know that making things rotate at different speeds is possible (planetfactory inaccessible) so is this a reasonable question?

Edited by mattihase

That requires, as far as I am aware, either Squad fixing their reliance on angles rather than the orientation transform, or us injecting code to do just that.

Just out of interest, how hard would that be to implement in a mod? I'd love to have everything oriented to the ecliptic in RSS rather than Earth's equator (I'm starting to get wryneck when looking at it :P). And would it mean that we can have realistic tilts for other planets as well?

Just out of interest, how hard would that be to implement in a mod? I'd love to have everything oriented to the ecliptic in RSS rather than Earth's equator (I'm starting to get wryneck when looking at it :P). And would it mean that we can have realistic tilts for other planets as well?

I agree, axial tilts would be nice, but as far as I am aware, no one has figured out how to do it yet.

Regardless, in my opinion, a more pressing matter is the ability to properly add new planets to the game. Kopernicus is well on it's way to accomplishing this, but there are still a number of bugs, the most recent of which involves a texture overriding issue on whatever planet is being used as a template.

Well, the addon rules forbid invoking private methods; I dare say injecting code and replacing methods are a bridge too far.

(Yes, we would not merely be *modding* KSP, but literally ripping out pieces and replacing them).

On the other hand, the last guy to do injection made the plugin loader and got hired by Squad.

VonFrank: As I said above, it's not about knowing or not knowing. It's about the fact that Squad code *ignores* tilt, and thus you have to somehow replace Squad code.

*lurks*

Wish I was a better programmer; I just can't quite understand how the PQSMod is/isnt working in the code despite my hours of poking and investigation into the source code. Really, it's so hard to look at the mod and know that the amazing PF crossover functionality is just out of reach. Hope Teknoman's school woes lighten in the future!

As Squad stated, they are approaching feature completion. Planetary body tilts is not a major feature, so it might be on the agenda for the period after 0.9 is released. If it is not on the menue, would it be possible to ask permission for the code injection?

Cheers,

Semmel

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note, making planets via config is and has been already mostly implemented:

Texture for Aha stolen from Nova Sillisko's Alternis Kerbol.

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

screenshot6.png

No PQS systems yet but there's nothing stopping you from setting up a basic config.

How do you set up textures

Here is Aha's config.

@Kopernicus
{
Body
{
name = Aha
flightGlobalsIndex = 31
Template
{
name = Jool
}
Properties
{
description = What?
radius = 12600000
mass = 4.73535382e+24
geeASL = 1.2
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sun
color = 0,0,1,1
inclination = 2
eccentricity = 0.2
semiMajorAxis = 704000100092
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0.6
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = KopernicusExamples/Aha/Aha_mainTex
rimColorRamp = KopernicusExamples/Aha/ramp_blue
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
Atmosphere
{
lightColor = 0.109,0.108,0.643,0
ambientColor = 0.106,0.107,0.335,1
}
}
}

I am still standing by on the PQS Mod details. If I could just get some simple documentation on how it's implemented, I could handle the rest and just submit a pull request. But as it is, the code has been too difficult for me to follow confidently.

Can Kerbin be made to orbit another planet without having the launch-related glitches that occur when one does so with RSS? (I really want a game wherein my planet is a moon of a gas giant (I can be Ewoks, lol (Forest Moon of Endor))).