[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Anyways. I discovered the issue with .90. It seems to be an issue with biomes.

Yeah...

We really didn't need them to add biomes to every body. All it does is ruin a lot of mods, and CustomBiomes had better biomes than those now in the stock game.

And if you don't want a color ramp, you can use the config to define it. See the RedKerbin example.

The gradient problem I mentioned is that applying a gradient using an MM patch doesn't work as it seems that MM strips out the decimal parts of the value names which results in two values with the same 0 value being used and failing. It works fine if you write it directly into the System.cfg though...

Yeah...

We really didn't need them to add biomes to every body. All it does is ruin a lot of mods, and CustomBiomes had better biomes than those now in the stock game.

wat.

You serious?

Related to the mod:

I commented out the broken parts and it builds just fine. So Kopernicus is NOT broken in 0.90 until you want to add custom biomes.

I'm working on a less lazy solution now.

Edited by Nutt007

Related to the mod:

I commented out the broken parts and it builds just fine. So Kopernicus is NOT broken in 0.90 until you want to add custom biomes.

I'm working on a less lazy solution now.

Errr, what problem are you having? I posted a fixed version a couple of pages back and Bryce has already merged the pull request into his repo. Basically CelestialBody.BiomeMap changed from a CBAttributeMap to a CBAttributeMapSO in 0.90. Is something specific not working with it?

Edited by Padishar

Errr, what problem are you having? I posted a fixed version a couple of pages back and Bryce has already merged the pull request into his repo. Basically CelestialBody.BiomeMap changed from a CBAttributeMap to a CBAttributeMapSO in 0.90. Is something specific not working with it?

Oh lol. My fault for not reading then. Thanks!

I haven't tried the EelooBiomes config because it already has biomes in 0.90.

Since the biomes were basically the only thing that really changed with 0.90, I thought I'd better test them, and it appears that the EelooBiomes example works fine...

1xxOhRn.jpg

(and the debug option to show the biomes is really handy ;)

Wait... So I got told you can't add custom terrain with Kopernicus, but there is the Planet Factory Revived Mod and that config for Enceladus that both do... So I'm guessing you can?

Well, in that case, I refer back to my old question; What would I do to add the old planet Kopernicus back into the game exactly like it was? I understand how to make a Duna copy, then give it Laythe's Atmo, but what do I have to reference to give it Mars' Heightmap and terrain? Obviously you must be able to do it, but I'm just not sure exactly what you have to do...

Kopernicus alone does NOT allow terrestial bodies. The old Kopernicus mars clone was done through code and not config editing. Kopernicus allows you to clone and edit exisiting terrestial planets. It doesn't seem there are enough talented people that know their way around the PQS system to finish taking Kopernicus where it was heading, so that's all we get for now.

Not sunset, the 'rim halo' on planets with an atmosphere (which changes color at sunset, admittedly). Notice how Kerbin's rim is brighter blue, appears halo'd a bit, even apart from the atmospheric halo beyond it? I.e. look at Kerbin in the main menu, and see the rim highlighting. That's what we're talking about.

The gradient problem I mentioned is that applying a gradient using an MM patch doesn't work as it seems that MM strips out the decimal parts of the value names which results in two values with the same 0 value being used and failing. It works fine if you write it directly into the System.cfg though...

Sarbian has now updated Module Manager to version 2.5.6 that fixes this problem with the Gradient in RedKerbin.cfg

Please tell mi whats mods based on this mod and pf will be ported to kopernicus?

I'm guessing you mean what mods are being ported over from Planet Factory? Well, my project, Planet Factory Revived (link in my signature) has ported over the following Planet Factory planet packs to Kopernicus, which I will list:

[B]Bold [/B]means ported over into Planet Factory Revived already.

[I]Italic [/I]means I am working on porting it over.

No italic or bold means I want to add it and will add it but have not started working on it yet.

Here's the list:

Serious Expansion

Boris

Sentar Expansion

Kaiser

Trans-Keptunian

Kerbal Universe 2

Wot (As a planet of Serious)Fearless (possibly, but as a moon of Kaiser)

Edited by _Augustus_

So it looks like Kopernicus is breaking the recovery distance value for any craft launched on Kerbin. With Kopernicus installed recovery distance is 942.48km -- 1/4 of Kerbin's circumference -- regardless of actual distance to KSC.

These logs are from a test install with only stock and CaptRobau's build of Koperniucs installed:

KSP.log

output_log.txt

To reproduce just launch and recover a craft that is not on the launchpad or runway. The recovery distance should be ~~942.48 km.

So it looks like Kopernicus is breaking the recovery distance ...

Can confirm that. Had this problem with another planet pack using Kopernicus.

The stock contracts "Explore the Mun" for example going weird also. When a contract pops up and it is targeting a body that has been used to be a referencebody for a selfmade planet then the contract changes between these two after a reenter to the contractbuilding. These contract also vanish when not been accepted and return sometimes later. Even when accepted the contract didn´t work all the time leading to that sometimes gathered science isn´t linked to the body where it was taken from.

Mr. Peabo^H^H^H^H^H^somnambulist: I would guess that Kopernicus includes old code to change that and it no longer works in .90? Hmm.

:)

Don't get me wrong -- it's great that the core functionally of making awesome things possible still works but the broken recovery rate calculation nearly bankrupted my career save before I realized what was going on.

Mr. Peabo^H^H^H^H^H^somnambulist: I would guess that Kopernicus includes old code to change that and it no longer works in .90? Hmm.

Actually I don't see any reason why Kopernicus should ever have needed any code to mess with this. The distance value is calculated using SpaceCenter.GreatCircleDistance() which uses the dot product between the normalised radius vector to the spacecenter and the normalised radius vector to the vessel position to get the cosine of the angle around the great circle and then uses Acos and a multiplication by the radius to turn this into the actual distance. Given the value is always coming out as (radius * pi/2) this implies the dot product is always returning zero so either the spacecenter's vector is (0,0,0) or the CelestialBody.GetRelSurfaceNVector(lat, long) function is returning (0,0,0). I suspect it is the first one of these though a test will need to be run to confirm it.

Does this only happen when there is another body that uses Kerbin as its template? There appear to be a number of issues in the current code when the same body is used as a template for more than one body but it will probably need someone who is quite familiar with the code (more familiar than me at least) to track down the underlying cause.

Is this released yet? Sorry to be such a noobie. Some features I figured might be worth attempting to incorperate if not done so already:

-Shadows for rings

-Partical emissions

(for bodies for stuff like comet trails and sun flares, but also for single point emmitions at a given location for stuff like geysers and volcanoe effects on planet surfaces)

I feel I may be posting this in completely the wrong place or at the wrong time so sorry in advance if I have done.