[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Actually .... I suspect it is the first one of these though a test will need to be run to confirm it.

Can we help (logs,test)?

Does this only happen when there is another body that uses Kerbin as its template?

I checked all .cfg of the mod I used at that time. Kerbin isn´t used as a template.

There appear to be a number of issues in the current code when the same body is used as a template for more than one body but ....

It seems so.

I did some more digging last night after my post above and discovered that the SpaceCenter object isn't correctly initialised regardless of what bodies are used as templates. The latitude, longitude and vector are all 0 which causes the recovery distance problem as I described above. I also tested it with the code that rebuilds the systemPrefab removed (so it "should" behave exactly as stock) and the problem still occurred so I'm going to have to dig a bit deeper (probably with a simple plugin to examine various objects that I can run without Kopernicus installed) to check what the behaviour is in the stock game.

There is a comment in the Kopernicus code (in the Injector.PostSpawnFixups method) that mentions that the game can't find Kerbin for some reason and fixes up the reference to the CelestialBody in the SpaceCenter object but doesn't do anything about the other values. I suspect that this is the wrong place to fix whatever this was trying to fix and the real underlying reason for the failure to find Kerbin needs to be found and fixed instead...

Going on a slightly off topic rant here...

You people really need to give up on the Planet Factory planets. Using textures is one thing, but using the actual bodies defeats the point of Kopernicus. The whole point of Kopernicus is that it instantiates new bodies. Instantiating bodies with templates of templates makes no sense.

Stick to the stock bodies if you're using templates.

That and I'm pretty sure they were made to only be examples and nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure everyone has given up on those. As far as I know there is no way to get the detail of those planets without using PQS_mods like map decals and oblate. What we really need is finer control in how we can create planets, or ideally having Kopernicus doing everything. Right now we are stuck having to use both RSS and kittopiatech as dependencies for actual terrain control.

I am sad to see the planet factory planets go away though, I found most of them to be fairly well done.

Anyone have experience with making new biomes? I made biomes for my new moons, but their templates have inherited the biomes too.

As far as I know, if you define the biome map in the same way as the eeloobiomes example it should override the ones from the template (at least it appears to with that example though I didn't actually go to Eeloo to check, just looked in the tracking station using the debug option to show the biomes).

I'm running into a problem where the lighting on the new planets I create is offset from the actual direction of the sun. The scaled space mesh of the celestial object is illuminated 90 degrees to the right of what it it should be. It's very strange.

I am using Kopernicus to create the planet and the scaled space textures, then using RSS to define the planet's variables, the PQS info, and create the Scaled space mesh.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've got similar lighting issues, now that I think of it.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I know, if you define the biome map in the same way as the eeloobiomes example it should override the ones from the template (at least it appears to with that example though I didn't actually go to Eeloo to check, just looked in the tracking station using the debug option to show the biomes).

Then what is the alternate way to have biomes not overwrite the template, but only set the biomes for the new body?

Not sure if anyone has asked this yet, But @_Augustus_ do you think it would be possible to make a MM config for Remote Tech because, I'm In game now, and looking at the distances from 250000 above the Muns Surface with Stella on the opposite side... its over 2Tm away... So Either there need to be free floating satelites, which will have to be run of RTGs (I think thats what they're called) or something else that would most likely come from Interstellar. I was over at Outer Planets forum, and someone made an MM config that turns the 400Gm Dish into an 800Gm dish that can reach any planet in the Kerbol system, and a we bit farther away. As it stands, the only way to get relay network to be able to send a probe to Stella, would to have several satellites scattered in interstellar space, floating around, each one talking to each other, and then pointing back to Kerbin, Past that would need to be 2 more rings, all talking to each other in the network, and pointing back to a nearby probe in one of the inner rings. And after that you would still need to set up network in High orbit around Cyssor. With that all in place, the conection would be spotty at best, and that is with the current MM config that someone mad over on the OPM thread.

I don't know if I did, but that might have come of as a demand, I was only trying to ask if you, Agustus, would be able to make an MM Config so that one of the Dishes in Remote Tech could have a 5Tm Range (that would be more than enough, but that's taking into account having a network set up around planets, and not in freefall/orbit around Kerbol. I think that the dish angle should be about 0.001, and if that works, it should give full coverage to the Stella system minus planets being in the way.

If anything, I'll look up (again) how to make a part for KSP and you could write the config, that way none of the current parts need to be edited, and someone could use the OPM compatible config and the Stella compatible config. I would know very little, and the Antenna would probably not have an animation, but hey, you can reach Stella with an antenna!

Thought: Now that I think of it, If I do make a part, instead of it being a folding thing that opens up to have a giant dish, it would be a laser of some sort, and that would allow "fast" communication, and will be a tad bit more realistic in the sense of communicating with a ship in another star system. The delay would be insane o.o

Edit: In response to the Lighting issues, I don't know if you guys have the Stella Expansion or any other expansions that add stars, but I've got a slight bug where Stella's light will sign onto my planets in map view (is that scaled? I dunno...) and sometimes in Orbit around the planet (or is that scaled view? that probably is) but when I get close enough that the surface is rendering and not using the map texture, the lighting goes away.

Edited by Drakoflame

@Drakoflame

The wonderful thing about KSP is, that you can mold the game into what you would like to see from it. Familiarize yourself with the basics of ModuleManager (which is great) and take a look at other people's configs, you will get the hang of the basics in no time. So, to (not quite :3) answer your question, here:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna],!MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]:Final{
@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]
{
@Mode0DishRange *= 6.4
@Mode1DishRange *= 6.4
@Mode0OmniRange *= 6.4
@Mode1OmniRange *= 6.4
}
}

is an example from 64k, a mod that resizes the kerbol system to 6.4x scale. Now, you could just use that, or you could try to make your own. If you go with the latter option, I am sure you will not regret it!

Oh, and remote tech transmission speed is c, so if it is supposed to be realistic, there is no way to go faster than that :D

@Tellion Thanks for the (not quite) help! I'll look into making a part so I can add my own (because I've been wanting to for a while). And yea.. going faster than c would be a bit... hard, that is unless your sending the signal through warp space (like sending a manned mission, which would be hard using just stock and life support mods, and launching a probe back that has all the science stored on it using the Alcubiare drive that RoverDude made... why you don't use the warp drive to get there is beond me, but I used it to make an example.)

If you know any good tutorials for making a Part I'd love to see it! I have Blender installed, I also installed Unity because one tutorial I found was amazing, but I can't do it because the packet that you use in Unity to finalize everything isn't updated, that or everything is all fine and dandy and you don't need it anymore. Anyway, What I want to do is make a mod with RP compatibility. It would be focused around science, and it would basically be an all science part mod (Like DMagics Orbital Science) only everything would have 100% science return, making suiside missions into Kerbol worth it, because all the science gets sent back in full!

I'd just use a stock part as a placeholder model if you are unsure about part creation, although to make a mod like what you are describing will still require some programming knowledge.

As far as the sunlight showing at the wrong angle, that sounds like the PQSMod_MaterialSetDirection not being set correctly for some reason. Maybe RSS is conflicting or something, who knows.

I'v been toying around attempting to have Kopernicus load both config made planets and hardcoded so that I can have finer control and not rely on seperate mods for terrain generation. At the very least I wish I could load the default Kopernicus planet (mars) because it's done rather well in my opinion. I posted some test images of using map decals in Augustus's thread.

@Drakoflame Not having any idea of modelling myself, I would first look in this thread here :)

----------

I have encountered an annoying bug where an upscaled planetary body will disappear when the center of the camera is in some distance to the center of the body, which is limited to rescaled planets added by kopernicus (resizing jool with RSS does not produce the same issue)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but it seems to me that KSP or Unity use another value/template for the deciding what to display when, one that does not get upscaled, leading to removal of objects from the screen that are not supposed to be removed. Something possibly related is Kerbol shining through large portions of the resized (and to a smaller extent, unresized) planets, though that only seems to be worse here than in stock. If I am understanding this correctly, is there any possibility to fix this? Any input is gladly appreciated.

Edited by Tellion

Then what is the alternate way to have biomes not overwrite the template, but only set the biomes for the new body?

Hmm, well the example is writing a biome to a stock planet, right? Maybe it's possible to reset the templates original biomes through the same method? Get Kopernicus to set the biomes on custom planets and the stock template... just maybe in theory it'll work... don't take my word for it though, just an idea.

However, I kind of think it's related to the same thing as contracts... ie when you get to Explore Minmus contract, you'll risk getting every planet that uses Minmus as a template and it bugs up the contracts (clearing your archive, resetting them, etc.)...

I'm avoiding Kopernicus until this is fixed, because it's rather game-breaking for someone actually trying to play out a "story mode"...

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

I tried that. Didn't work. I talked with Pashidar about it. It is indeed related to Kopernicus sometimes applying stuff from the new body to the template. That's a big and time-consuming thing to fix, although it's one of the major bugs in the mod so it definitely be worthwhile.

Padishar said:
Well, that wasn't very difficult. You can download a replacement Kopernicus.dll that "works" with KSP 0.90 from my dropbox.

Install the pre-alpha3 version as previously described and replace the dll in the GameData/Kopernicus/Plugins folder with the one from my zip.

License as original and source as pull request submitted to OPs github.

Notes:

There is currently a problem with the RedKerbin config (it gives an exception loading the Gradient node).

I haven't tried the EelooBiomes config because it already has biomes in 0.90.

Enjoy... ;)

Pashidar, could you please tell us which code version (hash) this dll was compiled from?

Also, being asked in CKAN quite often for Kopernicus packages, I would love to package this. Do you mind me taking the current dll from your dropbox and putting it into one of our archive servers? Or even better, could someone put this on [Moderator removed defunct website]?

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Pashidar, could you please tell us which code version (hash) this dll was compiled from?

Also, being asked in CKAN quite often for Kopernicus packages, I would love to package this. Do you mind me taking the current dll from your dropbox and putting it into one of our archive servers? Or even better, could someone put this on kerbalstuff.com?

I believe it was built from 9c7e7f64a0f3305f0debb61d9fe1a660e688833d (though I may have rebuilt it from Bryce's merge or even one of my later key handling changes commits, I don't remember exactly). I'll take a look at the date on the file a bit later this evening and confirm...

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't put my build of the DLL somewhere else. The changes it included have since been merged into the main repo so there can't really be any licence issues. However, I wouldn't actually advise that you do anything to make use of this mod much easier than it is at present as it is not really ready for widespread use due to the number of fairly significant bugs and shortcomings (e.g. undesirable changes to template bodies and total lack of an PQS modding facilities).

I am still really busy with work and other RL things but I am hoping to get a reasonable amount of time quite soon to take more of a look at fixing these issues (the template issues and loading PQS from config).

Okay. Hey guys and girls, I'm back. Kopernicus is back to a priority of mine, finished the IRL projects that were getting in the way. However, I'm still taking 5 courses this semester (two of which ended up being really easy).

So, could anyone PM me (or comment here) a short summary of what's gone on as far as people forking or other work in the last couple months? I want to make sure I don't run over anything others have done. I only see one fork of Kopernicus on the GitHub by Gravitasi, as Gerry's changes are merged back into master.

As far as changes I can see...

- Something about scaled space and using a local scale transform instead of complete resize. Unless it got changed I did this because something (I think it was Better Atmospheres...) wasn't liking localScale being anything but {1,1,1}

--> Does this fix the scaled space in R&D center? iirc it was broke in 0.24.2

- Adding controls for initial rotation and tidal locking

- Changing the controls for the PQ debug (this could just be removed altogether in the future, I was just trying to figure out why the land was invisible at one point)

- I see someone changed the code formatting (thank you! it only viewed properly when using Unix line endings. Freaking MonoDevelop not deciding on a standard even on the same tool between OSes)

Hopefully we can get a fully featured version out before something happens to my time again. I'm going to be interning somewhere hopefully this summer, so I expect to be busy then!

Edited by Teknoman117

I just wet my pants,!!!! And we all thought you guys were gone, and strange abomination start emerging ,lol . There was something about the PQS not being able to apply terrain maps, and the sun reflection on planets is like 45deg off, and few more stuff

I just wet my pants,!!!! And we all thought you guys were gone, and strange abomination start emerging ,lol . There was something about the PQS not being able to apply terrain maps, and the sun reflection on planets is like 45deg off, and few more stuff

Yeah sorry. Work had piled up. I had a couple really difficult courses last semester and some other (work) projects that had piled up over the summer. I had to take a break from all my personal projects and get .... done. At this point I just have courses as all the backed up projects are completed (hopefully).

The only thing that comes to mind as far as incorrect lighting is that I had hard coded the shaders loaded for planet materials. It could be that the shaders I used have become deprecated in 0.9, but I'll check it out this week. The PQSMod loaders shouldn't be too complicated to write, there is just a lot of them TO write. And then there is the topic of documentation and tutorials ... I do honestly think that Bryce is done of this project at this point, I haven't heard from him since early November but he was swamped at school then. But again, *hopefully* we can wrap Kopernicus up within a month or so. Probably right in time to get broken by the next KSP update...

Glad that you're back! I guess my KopernicusTech hack would be a short-lived, temporal solution...:D

- Something about scaled space and using a local scale transform instead of complete resize. Unless it got changed I did this because something (I think it was Better Atmospheres...) wasn't liking localScale being anything but {1,1,1}

--> Does this fix the scaled space in R&D center? iirc it was broke in 0.24.2

I think I'm the one who is responsible for it. Yes, it fixes the R&D scaled space bug. I found that almost all stock planets have scaled space size of Jool's (1000 unit), and then use the local scale transform to adjust its size on solar system view (and ingame). So I tried to mimic the convention, and R&D planets showed up successfully.

But, I believe there is some scaling factor elsewhere for planets on R&D, because there are a few planets that has 100 unit sized scaled space, yet, in R&D, they appear as large as the other planet with Jool's size mesh. I'm not sure, thought; I'm still new on KSP modding. But I'm sure you guys can figure it out better than I. :)

Edited by Gravitasi

Glad that you're back! I guess my KopernicusTech hack would be a short-lived, temporal solution...:D

Well you did show us that RSS could be eliminated as a dependency. You added a lot of good stuff, so don't disappear from Kopernicus or Kittopia.

Edited by CaptRobau