[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Alright what am I doing wrong?

Screenshot

Doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong. It's the known issue in 0.57 where the lack of a well-defined longitude of ascending node for a zero-inclination target orbit causes the argument of periapsis check to fail. Complete it from the debug menu, and then don't accept contracts for zero-inclination orbits until the next update.

So I did that thing where I was ready for release and then decided to do something crazy and add more things.

a324fa46e0.png

Fully customizable. You could change the resource, or even add more resource options into the mix. (Kethane, ore, water, whatever.) This mission defaults to a disabled state, meaning that it will not show up unless the user explicitly goes into the configuration options and enables it.

The delivery objective is random, and will not ask you to go far, it typically will be planet to moon, or moon to planet. It will ask you to either orbit, land, or splash the resource down. Sometimes it simply won't appear, and you'll just need to extract the stuff.

So I did that thing where I was ready for release and then decided to do something crazy and add more things.

http://puu.sh/bdXGm/a324fa46e0.png

Fully customizable. You could change the resource, or even add more resource options into the mix. (Kethane, ore, water, whatever.) This mission defaults to a disabled state, meaning that it will not show up unless the user explicitly goes into the configuration options and enables it.

The delivery objective is random, and will not ask you to go far, it typically will be planet to moon, or moon to planet. It will ask you to either orbit, land, or splash the resource down. Sometimes it simply won't appear, and you'll just need to extract the stuff.

{Facepalm} If your stuff wasn't so good, [and free :D ] I might be annoyed by this release delay. :):wink:

I think this might top "Eject a class E asteroid out of the solar system" for insane difficulty missions. I just got one to extract 2500 Karbonite from Eve and deliver it to the surface of Gilly.

EDIT: Scratch that, I forgot you can scoop it from the atmosphere without technically landing.

Edited by Arsonide

I have a contract to put a satellite into a highly inclined munar orbit. I could just do a transfer on the ecliptic and change inclination upon arrival, but I'd really like to save delta-V and go for a more direct approach. I'm having a hard time finding a transfer orbit that even puts me in the same plane as the target orbit. So:

1. At what part of the Mun's orbit do I want to arrive? When the target orbit is aligned towards Kerbin, or perpendicular to it?

2. What type of parking orbit do I leave from? Try to match the target inclination, or just stay equatorial?

3. Where is the most efficient spot for a mid-course correction burn?

I have a contract to put a satellite into a highly inclined munar orbit. I could just do a transfer on the ecliptic and change inclination upon arrival, but I'd really like to save delta-V and go for a more direct approach. I'm having a hard time finding a transfer orbit that even puts me in the same plane as the target orbit. So:

1. At what part of the Mun's orbit do I want to arrive? When the target orbit is aligned towards Kerbin, or perpendicular to it?

2. What type of parking orbit do I leave from? Try to match the target inclination, or just stay equatorial?

3. Where is the most efficient spot for a mid-course correction burn?

Leave Kerbin for Mun just like you'd normally do. You'll probably be pretty equatorial on Mun but it doesn't really matter.

At the "halfway to Mun" point in your transfer orbit, make a maneuver node and play with the normal vectors to get your angle right. Play with the radial and pro/retrograde markers to nail the periapsis right where it's touching the orbit, and then normal again to get it as close as possible to the same. You won't be able to get it exact but you should be able to get close.

When doing your burn at the midway point, the important part is to keep your periapsis really close to touching that orbit, far more than getting the inclination correct. Then, when you burn down at Periapsis do so juts enough to get a Mun orbit. Ride that Mun orbit up to apoapsis and then you can burn normal THERE to fix your inclination for super cheap (100m/s maybe, maybe less).

Then come back down to periapsis which should be right at the target orbit, burn retrograde, and bam you got it.

Leave Kerbin for Mun just like you'd normally do. You'll probably be pretty equatorial on Mun but it doesn't really matter.

At the "halfway to Mun" point in your transfer orbit, make a maneuver node and play with the normal vectors to get your angle right. Play with the radial and pro/retrograde markers to nail the periapsis right where it's touching the orbit, and then normal again to get it as close as possible to the same. You won't be able to get it exact but you should be able to get close.

When doing your burn at the midway point, the important part is to keep your periapsis really close to touching that orbit, far more than getting the inclination correct. Then, when you burn down at Periapsis do so juts enough to get a Mun orbit. Ride that Mun orbit up to apoapsis and then you can burn normal THERE to fix your inclination for super cheap (100m/s maybe, maybe less).

Then come back down to periapsis which should be right at the target orbit, burn retrograde, and bam you got it.

Thanks a ton. I had gotten an intersection, but never at periapsis before. This will help with lots of other things - I'm very good at being precise with my orbits, but I lack a lot of the tricks to cut down delta-V.

Thanks a ton. I had gotten an intersection, but never at periapsis before. This will help with lots of other things - I'm very good at being precise with my orbits, but I lack a lot of the tricks to cut down delta-V.

Just keep in mind that to modify your NORMAL or vector, you need to be either going as slow as possible (ie, be at apoapsis), or be where burning normal does the most benefit (AN/DN for matching orbits). When you want to modify your -GRADE vector, you need to be going as fast as possible (ie, be at periapsis).

Radial is kinda the same as normal, as it's not in the direction of motion.

And of course you can't always do this (above I used the midway point instead of AN/DN because I wasn't trying to get a perfectly equatorial orbit. I was trying to move my Mun periapsis around to an arbitrary location. You get more bang for your Normal buck at the exact midway point, but sacrifice the ability to make your eventual Mun orbit perfectly equatorial. You don't want that here, so sacrificing it is no big deal).

And most of the stuff you do in the game isn't getting to the location, it's setting it up so that getting there is cheaper.

I've been playing this mod for a day, and absolutely loving it. Very well done!

I restarted my career after installing this and several other mods, and now that there are viable means to make progress in a fair way, I no longer have any need to spam flags on Tylo. I can leave my life of underhanded crime and make a legitimate living with honest work!

I have one suggestion, if it's even possible: Is there any way you could make the target orbits of satellites trackable, the way you can target a planet or asteroid? It could prove helpful, but I can see how it may be impossible given that the tracking mechanism seems to latch onto an existing object in order to function properly. Just a thought!

Also, It seems that Orbital Stations should have a target orbit like the satellites, even the solar ones. "Put a station in solar orbit" Where? Earth-range? As close as possible? Out past Sedna? Seems like a contracting organization wouldn't be so vague about that.

Thanks again for this brilliant mod!

I was wondering if there were any plans on adding any modifiers into the calculations on the ARM contracts that involve D and E class asteroids.

As it stands I'm looking at a contract to orbit a Class E around Minmus for advance of 56,250 reward of 337,500 funds 844 science and 1688 rep. The funds value is Way under what would be required for this contract.

I've actually built a vessel I feel is fully capable of doing this with virtually all stock parts outside TAC, and Remote Tech stuff in a single launch. I managed to rework it several times and get its cost to just over 6,100,000 for the launch. Early prototypes exceeded 8 million. Seeing as how the rewards don't even reach 500k, I think it'd be good to add another variable to adjust the rewards for the larger asteroids as they require Significant resources and engineering above the returns and don't just become contracts people just pass up. Besides that I'd be interested in seeing how other people tackle the idea of Class E asteroid orbiting, and ejections.

Edited by Kadron

I found a strange (presumably intentional) behavior in the mod I'm not actually fond of - When a contract appears, it apparently checks to see if you've got enough Kerbonauts for the ten-man station, for example, and will flush out your recruits with random new Kerbals if you don't.

Since we can go to the recruiting station anytime we please to do this infinitely, I feel like the mod should not.

Personally, I've made a rule for myself, where I only use Kerbals I've personally rescued from orbit. It's fun, and the Kerbals gain some slight meaning. Just yesterday, I rescued a Kerbal whose name is "Theory". Imagine the luck of that.

cxLpHv7.png

Edited by Camaron

I was wondering if there were any plans on adding any modifiers into the calculations on the ARM contracts that involve D and E class asteroids.

As it stands I'm looking at a contract to orbit a Class E around Minmus for advance of 56,250 reward of 337,500 funds 844 science and 1688 rep. The funds value is Way under what would be required for this contract.

I've actually built a vessel I feel is fully capable of doing this with virtually all stock parts outside TAC, and Remote Tech stuff in a single launch. I managed to rework it several times and get its cost to just over 6,100,000 for the launch. Early prototypes exceeded 8 million. Seeing as how the rewards don't even reach 500k, I think it'd be good to add another variable to adjust the rewards for the larger asteroids as they require Significant resources and engineering above the returns and don't just become contracts people just pass up. Besides that I'd be interested in seeing how other people tackle the idea of Class E asteroid orbiting, and ejections.

.58 rewards for class E missions go into the millions.

I found a strange (presumably intentional) behavior in the mod I'm not actually fond of - When a contract appears, it apparently checks to see if you've got enough Kerbonauts for the ten-man station, for example, and will flush out your recruits with random new Kerbals if you don't.

Since we can go to the recruiting station anytime we please to do this infinitely, I feel like the mod should not.

Personally, I've made a rule for myself, where I only use Kerbals I've personally rescued from orbit. It's fun, and the Kerbals gain some slight meaning. Just yesterday, I rescued a Kerbal whose name is "Theory". Imagine the luck of that.

http://i.imgur.com/cxLpHv7.png

This is not my mod. All my mod does is track the vessel's capacity for kerbals. I believe the rescue missions mess with the roster, but those are stock.

This is not my mod. All my mod does is track the vessel's capacity for kerbals. I believe the rescue missions mess with the roster, but those are stock.

I've encountered this behavior before, and I agree its stock behavior, not the mod. If your launch vehicle has more capacity than you have kerbals, if will recruit for you, but only under certain situations. I haven't figured out the rules for it doing it. I suspect it is based on whether the parts in question are considered root or core parts. Its annoying and I wish it wouldn't.

mm I am having an issue with the mod at my first satellite deploymentm mission.

I just had to put it in an equatorial orbit with specific PE and AP.. the angle is 0 and the 2 points are off of at most 500m but still the contract doesn't see it as a solved condition to complete the contract :s

Should I just skip and force it completed?

Force it complete. 0.58 fixes this, and should be out "soon*".

*The definition of soon depends on if I find any bugs between now and release.

Or on if you decide to add more features. See:

-snip-

:D:sticktongue::D:wink:

Force it complete. 0.58 fixes this, and should be out "soon*".

*The definition of soon depends on if I find any bugs between now and release.

Actually saw a sign for a store opening that said "Coming Soonish" that seems like it would adopt well :)

No more features are coming, it is actually pretty soon. All that's left for me to do is actually write the changelog, which is going to take some time because so much has changed, and I have to track down all the changes...heh.

Hah: "This branch is 30 commits ahead, 2 commits behind master"

Edited by Arsonide

0.58b is out now on KerbalStuff and Curse now. Here are the changes (a lot this time)...

• Removed source from release packages. For blisteringly up to date source, please visit GitHub from now on.
  • This patch will reset your contract boards, including any active contracts, but this reset is now optional. Please read below for more information regarding how patch resets work now.
  • Added a configuration file that fully encompasses every setting that it possibly could for each contract type. This lets users balance each contract's functionality and rewards in a highly customizable fashion. The inputs are sanitized and if you choose an input that is invalid, it will choose a default value for you, so for the most part it is unbreakable. Do note however, that this level of control can allow you to create some weird behavior if you choose to do so.
  • Due to the changes required for configuration, there was a full balance pass. You will notice that rewards in general have changed significantly, generally in the upwards direction. I did get second opinions on the balance pass, but as always, your opinion may vary. If this is the case, I encourage you to play with the balance by using the configuration file and let me know if you find something better on the official thread. If people find a more agreeable setting, I will incorporate it as default in future versions.
  • Added In Situ Resource Utilization contracts (resource harvesting). Because these contracts require other mods, these contracts are disabled by default. To enable them, open the configuration, go to the "ISRU" section, and change "MaximumExistent" to something other than 0. I recommend 2. This section also allows you to customize what type of resource you want to harvest, and what technology unlocks cause the contract to start showing up. By default this is set up to utilize the Karbonite mod, but you can set it up to use any resource mod you want (Kethane, Extraplanetary Launchpads, etc). You can even set it up here to be able to use multiple resource types, if you change "Karbonite" to "Karbonite,Kethane,Metal,Water" etc. You can also forbid certain planets or celestial bodies from being the target of this contract.
  • ISRU contracts will ask you to extract a certain amount of material from a certain location. Sometimes the contract ends there, but frequently you will also be asked to transport that material to a nearby location. Most of the time this will be planet to moon, or moon to planet. Delivery raises the rewards greatly.
  • Changed how the patch reset works. It now only targets my contracts, rather than all contracts. Stock contracts and contracts added by other mods are no longer affected. It is also not not automatic, but rather, manually set by me in the configuration file if I feel like one is necessary. This gives the user a chance to opt out of the patch reset by changing PatchReset to False immediately after patching. This can cause undefined behavior, so I do not recommend it, but it is available if you wish to use it.
  • Added low altitude contracts. These have a chance to spawn which is higher at lower prestige ratings, unless they are for a gas giant, in which case the chance is higher at higher prestige ratings. Low altitude contracts on gas giants provide a clear warning that it is likely a suicide contract.
  • Added configuration option that allows users to add (or remove) parts from the satellite contract. If you are enabling ISRU contracts, adding resource scanners here might help you in future endeavours.
  • Added a chance for aerial and rover contracts on Kerbin to spawn close to the space center. This is greater at lower prestige ratings.
  • Added settings for each contract type that allow the user to disable those types if they want.
  • Added settings for the names of each orbit type, for user preference.
  • Display when an orbital parameter is being ignored or not, to prevent user confusion.
  • Technology check now properly handles underscores.
  • Added some new names to waypoint sites that spawn on Kerbin, and corrected a few site name typos.
  • In an effort to improve compatibility with Real Solar System, removed all direct references to Kerbin, the Sun, and Jool. One reference remains for Aerial contracts, and that will be taken out in time as well.
  • Fixed orbital waypoints and stationary point waypoints from spontaneously disappearing.
  • Fixed equatorial and retro equatorial orbits from not matching.
  • Fixed stationary waypoints from matching too much.
  • Adjusted where ascending and descending nodes are shown on orbits such that they work better on highly eccentric ones.
  • Fixed contract events not unregistering, causing reported issues with ARM contracts primarily.
  • Fixed waypoint persistence, which could break between saving and loading due to Unity's random number generator not being seeded properly.
  • Pulled station and base apart in the code such that they can be independently configured.
  • Updated some internal loading functions to be much more specific when something goes wrong, to help with any future reports caused by misconfiguration.

This patch kind of requires a board reset. Finish any active Fine Print contracts before you patch. Unless you manually disable the reset. Now you can do that as well, if you prefer. I do not recommend it though.

Edited by Arsonide