[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Yes, satellites unlock when you get antennae and power generation. Any part requests on a satellite contract require that part to be unlocked. You are correct, aerial missions unlock later than when you can technically first build a plane, however, this is by design.

In the initial versions, aerial surveys unlocked the moment you had any sort of wing or control surface, which was basically when you got canards. However, without jet engines or any form of control surfaces, many users were finding them very difficult, as at that time, there were no low altitude contracts, so I bumped them up just a tad before they were unlocked in the tech tree. Now that low altitude contracts are available, I will take this under advisement.

A newly discovered asteroid is one that has not been klawed before. The mere act of tracking it does not affect this status.

In the initial versions, aerial surveys unlocked the moment you had any sort of wing or control surface, which was basically when you got canards. However, without jet engines or any form of control surfaces, many users were finding them very difficult, as at that time, there were no low altitude contracts, so I bumped them up just a tad before they were unlocked in the tech tree. Now that low altitude contracts are available, I will take this under advisement.

Funny - I got the missions the very moment I researched Flight Control. In fact that is what I was complaining about; that these missions are basically impossible without Aerodynamics (jet engines and useful control surfaces), so they shouldn't unlock until then. Altitude isn't the main issue; range is. Liquid fuel engines don't last very long constantly burning in an atmosphere. Did I get stuck with an outdated version somehow?

A newly discovered asteroid is one that has not been klawed before. The mere act of tracking it does not affect this status.

Cool, thanks for that

Edited by Spheniscine

Yes it's tricky deciding when to introduce aerial surveys. If they only spawned on planets with oxygen rich atmospheres, I'd introduce them with jet engines for sure. Unfortunately there are many planets that do have atmospheres where jet engines are useless.

Yes it's tricky deciding when to introduce aerial surveys. If they only spawned on planets with oxygen rich atmospheres, I'd introduce them with jet engines for sure. Unfortunately there are many planets that do have atmospheres where jet engines are useless.

Oh, yes. Did them on Kerbin and Duna (with Interstellar Lite Parts). Some are more difficult than other (the Canyonflight at Kerbin:kiss: eg.)

But they are all worth the effort:).

I think when asking "when to unlock", Kerbin should be first priority, since if you're considering doing surveys on other planets you probably already have a higher tech level. Not to mention Aerodynamics is just a very useful node if you want to go down the spaceplane route (and not so useful otherwise :P)

Edited by Spheniscine

This may be outside the scope of the mod, but will there ever be the ability to set our own waypoints? It would be nice for finding my way back to the KSC without having to eyeball it!

You can already sort of do that. Just place a pod on the launch pad, EVA, then walk down the tracks to the crawlerway (make sure EVA report/sample makes the change official, as the Launch Pad is cleared everytime you launch a new vessel) and plant a flag there. You can use time accelerate and shift + arrow key (run) to make the walk go faster.

Oh and I found a bug: http://gyazo.com/4226d105abf0e57af982513f42a0cef6

(note it says zero kerbals and nine kerbals)

Edited by Spheniscine

I accepted a contract to put a satellite around the sun. I built and put the thing in Kerbin's orbit. Now in the contracts window, it shows step one (launch) and step three (neutralize) as complete, but step two (reach orbit) as incomplete. And the target orbit also disappeared, so I don't know anymore where to take the satellite.

Is there some workaround for this? Like a command to reset or remove the contract?

I just wanted to say that this is an awesome mod. It definitely deserves to be in the stock game. It's nice to have a purpose for satellites, stations, bases, etc. Especially ones in an unusual orbit that I wouldn't normally think of doing. Though I'm not sure what the point of an inclined retrograde keosynchronous orbit is... acerola, you can cancel the contract in mission control (go to the active contracts tab, select the contract, and click cancel. No penalty other than losing your advance funds.)

acerola, you can cancel the contract in mission control (go to the active contracts tab, select the contract, and click cancel. No penalty other than losing your advance funds.)

Nice. I thought that I would get the rep penalty if I canceled a contract.

But this kinda defeats the point in having a penalty for failed contracts... :rolleyes:

Though I'm not sure what the point of an inclined retrograde keosynchronous orbit is...

john_noble_fringe.jpg

There are many side objectives to my contracts that many people would consider highly irregular. That's the point - to keep you thinking and doing things that are different. In the latest balance pass most of my feedback pushed me to raise the bonus rewards on these objectives pretty high. Wait until you get a mission to eject a class E asteroid out of the solar system.

Nice. I thought that I would get the rep penalty if I canceled a contract.

But this kinda defeats the point in having a penalty for failed contracts... :rolleyes:

Mmh, then how do you get these penalties after all? Without running out of time that is.

I have a suggestion:

- continous builds on space stations. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement. but it would be fun to create larger and larger space stations.

- the same could be done for bases.

the idea beeing that you dont have to build a huge (space)station all over every time.

oh and great mod!

I have a suggestion:

- continous builds on space stations. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement. but it would be fun to create larger and larger space stations.

- the same could be done for bases.

the idea beeing that you dont have to build a huge (space)station all over every time.

oh and great mod!

Along the same vein, has anyone here used the OKS/MKS mod and this mod? This mod is a must for KSP (otherwise it can get quite tedious), but the pricing for the OKS/MKS mod is so high that it makes station building with those parts a tad prohibitive. That's not a problem for the author of FinePrint, the prices appear nicely balanced for stock parts and launchers, I'm just curious to see if anyone out there has made a separate config which enables you to build the more expensive stations and colonies that come with OKS/MKS, instead of slapping together a hitchhiker, lab, or command module to fulfill the requirements.

Wait until you get a mission to eject a class E asteroid out of the solar system.

I completed one of those. I'm pretty sure I lost money on the deal, but it was a very interesting challenge. I could get about 450 dV per tank of fuel, so it took a lot of refueling missions to complete.

ClassEEsc.PNG

So I'm not going to say Fine Print broke my save, but it seems that my save broke after completing my first satellite contract. I completed the contract, set up my Remotetech dishes, went back to a space center with a closed R&D, and couldn't go anywhere except the contracts building, which had starter contracts available. I also couldn't go back to main menu.

Log

Edit: I attempted to recreate the conditions, and nothing happened. It could have been a freak error

Edited by syteless

So I'm not going to say Fine Print broke my save, but it seems that my save broke after completing my first satellite contract. I completed the contract, set up my Remotetech dishes, went back to a space center with a closed R&D, and couldn't go anywhere except the contracts building, which had starter contracts available. I also couldn't go back to main menu.

Log

Edit: I attempted to recreate the conditions, and nothing happened. It could have been a freak error

According to your log, the game started to freak out when Interstellar failed to add it's radiation modules to your parts. It went downhill from there. Control-F for "NullRef". There were also errors for some addon that adds clouds, "KSPScienceLibrary", and RealChutes.

Null reference errors are bad news and can cause the game to behave in extremely unpredictable ways. You have dozens of them here, so it's no wonder your game eventually slogged down. I would report them to the mods that generated them. As for Fine Print, it didn't make a peep.

Edited by Arsonide

According to your log, the game started to freak out when Interstellar failed to add it's radiation modules to your parts. It went downhill from there. Control-F for "NullRef". There were also errors for some addon that adds clouds, "KSPScienceLibrary", and RealChutes.

Null reference errors are bad news and can cause the game to behave in extremely unpredictable ways. You have dozens of them here, so it's no wonder your game eventually slogged down. I would report them to the mods that generated them. As for Fine Print, it didn't make a peep.

That's nice to hear. I need to learn how to read the logs, so I don't just go to the most relevant sounding mod. ScienceLibrary is definitely out of date, so it's time to get rid of it.

Never had a save get corrupted before, so I felt like it was big deal.

Edited by syteless

When it comes to code, "null" means the absence of things. It isn't a default state, or a "zero" state, it means the absence of anything at all. When KSP complains about a "null reference" it means that the game tried to manipulate or read something that does not actually exist. That isn't really possible, so once the game realizes this thing does not exist, it aborts whatever it was doing at the time, so that it doesn't try to use the thing again. These aborts can cause jumps in logic that do all sorts of fun and exciting things.

The logs for null references are actually Unity (the underlying engine of KSP) complaining, not usually the game itself. Though sometimes, if an addon is coded well, it might intercept null references before they happen and deal with them in some way, to prevent Unity from freaking out. Fine Print does this, and if it does "deal with" a null reference, it throws a warning with a signature that I made easy to find so I could skim logs quickly. I didn't see any of these warnings here.

Hopefully that little peek into the underworkings of the game helps you understand logs a bit better! :D

Hey guys!

Awesome Mod! The best, i would say, it just adds a lot more sense to the game, great work! ;)

But i have one question:

How do planetary bases work? Has it to be one single building (craft) or is it possible to make, for instance, a Lab-Module and beside this two living-modules? Do they have to be connected?

Edited by stoani96

Hi Arsonide, I'm being unable to grab an asteroid again. Here's a screenshot of the debug console and the output log. Do you think it could be something like the previous bug that impeded docking because the mod was running finished contracts or something like that?

As a reference, I got a contract to put a class C asteroid in Mun orbit and another one to do the same on Minmus orbit. So I tried to do both with the same asteroid, but I ended up with too little fuel once in Mun's orbit. Since my asteroid catcher wasn't equipped with a docking port for refueling and I had an expent interplanetary stage somewhere, I've RV it with the catcher/asteroid, undocked the claw, used the claw from the asteroid catcher to grab the expent interplanetary stage turned into a tanker, refuel and turn back to grab the asteroid... which now I can't do.

2z6in15.jpg

And the log

https://mega.co.nz/#!4V9TzLLY!gLpSule_7ts5a4Zh7mJ4UY3P2gsR8pToDOwsAA8X68c