[WIP]Kerbin Science Initiative - 140+ Biomes for Kerbin

Raven.

2aeyKq0.jpg

Version 0.1 (Alpha)

For KSP 0.24.2 

Description

Kerbin Science Initiative is an addon to the mod Custom Biomes that adds approximately 146 biomes to the planet Kerbin for the purpose of adding depth and immersion to the game. Nearly every major geological feature, mountain, highland, the larger lakes, and the major rivers are individually named as their own biome.

Kerbin Science Initiative is a work in progress, and this is a pre-release version of the mod. Not all science reports are implemented yet. As of version 0.1, only 20 of the 146 biomes have unique science reports. The rest of the science reports will be implemented over time.

Download

Dropbox:

Curse Mirror: Pending

Installation

Kerbin Science Initiative, or KSI for short, requires that Custom Biomes 1.6 or later be installed. KSI is a “biome set†for the Custom Biomes mod, and cannot function without Custom Biomes being installed. Installing KSI will overwrite CustomBiomes config.xml file, of which will make KSI the default biome set for Custom Biomes.

To install:

2. Download and install KSI by unzipping the contents of the download to your Kerbal Space Program folder, allowing any overwrites that will occur.

Some players may not like the additional science points that are a consequence of the additional biomes. A separate mod is available that will enable these players to lower the amount of total science for Planet Kerbin:
. This mod may be included with future versions of KSI.

Known Issues

There are about 146 biomes in this mod: there’s bugs. The most noticeable bug is where KSP does not report the correct biome while transitioning from one biome to the other. Great care has been taken with KSI to minimize this as much as possible. However, some transition issues will still exist.

Most other issues are minor issues such as typos, etc.

A Map of Kerbin

StarStrider42 has made a very excellent map detailing the locations of some of the new biomes. It is located here:

Bug Reporting & Suggestions

Please reply in this thread, or pm me, with bug reports. Also, feel free to suggestion ideas and names for new biomes and science reports.

The development thread is located at:

Planned Features for Future Releases

1. Creating more science reports for the remaining 126 biomes.

2. Potentially a few more biomes for the purpose of creating consistency with other mods that names certain locations.

3. Contracts for performing different missions across Kerbin, such as creating an artic base at the North Pole, setting up seismometers across different mountain ranges, setting up weather stations, search and rescue missions from around the globe, and the list goes on. Feel free to suggest different contracts at the development thread:

License

KSI is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. 

Credits

​

Kerbin Science Initiative is created by Raven.

Special thanks to Trueborn for creating the Custom Biomes mod, of which Kerbin Science Initiative is dependent on.

Special thanks to Starstrider42 for creating a map of different biome locations, and for his support and suggestions.

Very Special thanks to Sparky412 for her support while I create this mod, for her work in creating the logos, and for putting up with me.

Changelog

7/28/2014: Version 0.1 Released
146 new biomes.
Science reports for first 20 biomes.

Wow, very ambitious endeavor! Wouldn't this pretty much make KSP more like Kerbal Jet Program as the amount of science you could get would unlock everything in the game without needing to launch a craft into space? Still looks very interesting though. Subscribed to your thread and +1 rep.

Wow, very ambitious endeavor! Wouldn't this pretty much make KSP more like Kerbal Jet Program as the amount of science you could get would unlock everything in the game without needing to launch a craft into space? Still looks very interesting though. Subscribed to your thread and +1 rep.

Thank you. Yes, I've been working on the biome map since February.

I'm looking at a mod by DMagic that allows people to edit the science point multipliers for different planets. I've included a link to it in the OP. I'm considering taking a look at including it in future versions so I can balance the science points for those who feel like it's too much science.

SO MANY biomes! :P

Should be fun to pair it with mods that add biome-specific contracts.

I am planning on taking a look at including a few new types of contracts, such as planting seismometers on a target mountainside.

I'm looking at a mod by DMagic that allows people to edit the science point multipliers for different planets. I've included a link to it in the OP. I'm considering taking a look at including it in future versions so I can balance the science points for those who feel like it's too much science.

Would you be able to point that out? I've been looking for something exactly like that for a long time now. Plus it'd keep your mod on my radar for when it does get closer to release :D.

i'm a dumb dumb

I am planning on taking a look at including a few new types of contracts, such as planting seismometers on a target mountainside.

Would you be able to make it so leaving a scientific device in a biome will give you science over time? That would be cool for most of the science experiments, and on different planets/moons as well.

You'd probably have to nerf time-warping somehow though?

Oh I almost forgot to mention, this is excellent, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Would you be able to make it so leaving a scientific device in a biome will give you science over time? That would be cool for most of the science experiments, and on different planets/moons as well.

I am look at something like this in the contracts. For example, one contract might be to leave a weather monitoring station (manned, landed craft with a thermometer and a barometer) in one particular biome for a set amount of time. In fact, this is the first contract I'm likely to implement.

Is there an update on progress?

Not yet. This has been a rather slow moving project since about February. Recently I've taken break, but I expect to start on more science reports and start coding contracts here within the month.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.