[64 bit abuse] How much RAM are you sucking down with your mods?

Holyvision

Like the title says, just curious to see who has really pushed their game to the limits with 64 bit and mods.

As it stands as of this post, here is what my GameData folder looks like:

6ymgj7.png

I am running the 64-bit client on my system with stability (no crashes, with all these mods). The most I've peaked at thus far is ~9.5GB of RAM usage, out of my max of 64gb. On a SSD, it takes KSP about 8 minutes to load to the main menu. :sticktongue:

Who else is pushing it to the limit with 64 bit? I'm sure lots of folks out there have used a lot more RAM than I have.

ALL OF THE MODS, anyone?...anyone? :cool:

::EDIT:: Just noticed there was a GameData folder inside the GameData folder (as seen in image above). Luckily for me, it was empty and hadn't been causing any issues. You can now ignore it, because I can assure you it no longer exists!

Edited by Holyvision

Those are a lot... 8min?! I like mods and got about 10 myself. Visual enhancer and b9 alone test my patience while loading. Congrats if u are able to use all those and dont run into crashes every 5 min. That is an acomplishment.

Also looks like some serious effort to change versions

j2ZrpBm.jpg

Want some more and remove some because of conflicts traced back to crashes and others haven`t been updated yet

Mem is hanging between 7-8gb and when building something stupid, it climbs towards the 9gig

12 gigs of ram (all of my desktop's ram) along with 17 gigs of pagefile. I don't have a gamedata at the moment (I'm on my laptop); but it was rather hefty. It also failed when I updated to 024.2 so I've had to start basically from scratch. (full resolution; 1920x1080. Full clutter; literally all graphics options maxed; running on DX9; no ActiveTextureManagement [i REALLY wanted full resolution] and openGL failed to load with the modset; almost all of Kamuchi's list; minus a few miscellaneous items; but adding B9 / D12 expansion; KSP Reniassance Compilation; Kethane; KSP Interstellar's unofficial update; RoverDude's mods [minus the asteroids]).

Game ran smoothly (60+ FPS) apart from the awful bug of not being able to reliably right-click parts.

Hardware as follows: AMD 810 BE (oc'd to 3.2 from 2.6 on air); 12 gigs of Corsair XMS; twin Raptor HDDs (74 gigs) in RAID0 (OS drive). A 600 gig Raptor used for storage (and KSP; decently fast read times for a hefty gamedata folder). 2x nVidia 570 GTXs.

Oh god.. What beast of computer you've got? 64 GB Ram?? :confused:

And I'm just sitting here on my laptop with 4 GB :c

Ouch. Memory is pretty cheap these days... may want to see if you can swing an upgrade. Hitting swap isn't as cool as it sounds, mmkay.

Hit 7 gigs when loading, barely not crashing because I have only 8 GB, probably gonna get another 4 GB. However, when playing it averages around 5 gig. Takes 4 minutes to load because I'm using ATM, because I really do hit my ram limit without a little compression (no scaling, just compression).

ggvWOm2.png

Yo OP. whats with having Crew Manifest and Ship manifest at the same time?

Also, why do you have a "GameData" folder?

Seems like you are both wasteful by installing multiple mods that cover the same area, and also negligent to check if you extracted the mod correctly...

Yo OP. whats with having Crew Manifest and Ship manifest at the same time?

Also, why do you have a "GameData" folder?

Seems like you are both wasteful by installing multiple mods that cover the same area, and also negligent to check if you extracted the mod correctly...

Or in other words: A true Kerbal player.

STRAP ALL THE MODS.

I'm being shy for now with only 20 mods, mainly because I'm going for realisticish mod experience, and these takes some art do get working together in a nice way.

I'm still happily hitting 4gigs, wich would never have been possible with an acceptable ammount of details before, all that in full graphics!

Now to get better atmosphere, B9, and all these nice little station parts to throw the numbers though the roof...

Did you have to tweak any files to get all those mods to work together? For instance I noticed that on Mechjeb is in the list of mods. On my game no matter what I do, in x64 mode the game crashes at the VAB if Mechjeb is installed with any mods that use Module Manager. So far I have not seen any other posts mentioning that problem.

• 2 weeks later...

So is 64-bit working okay with all these mods? I have about 23 mods, and I'm running fine in 32-bit, but there are another half-dozen mods I'd like to install. I've got 12G of system RAM, Win 7 64-bit. Should I be trying 64-bit instead? Last time I tried it, I had some right-click trouble.

Hit 7 gigs when loading, barely not crashing because I have only 8 GB, probably gonna get another 4 GB. However, when playing it averages around 5 gig. Takes 4 minutes to load because I'm using ATM, because I really do hit my ram limit without a little compression (no scaling, just compression).

http://i.imgur.com/ggvWOm2.png

I notice you have a loose sun_flare.tex.dd file, does that overwrite the lens flare in the assets file?

I didn't know you could do it that way.

I installed each one at a time testing each as well as I could before moving to the next. I have had no issues with gameplay. It takes about roughly 3 mins to load up but I have noticed that it fluctuates. I have had only one crash in the many hours of use so far and I am sure it was because I moved the game window from one screen to another while it was changing scene states. I have watched the debug window for errors but so far so good. It looks wonderful and plays like a dream without needing to reduce textures to mud. Total ram usage is about 6.6 to 6.8 gigs.

Jus44g0.jpg

I'm running these 30 mods in 64-bit, and I'm doing pretty well. I seem to get an early crash once a day -- I suspect its KerbalEngineer, as the output.log often points at that mod, but I'm not sure. After I restart, things seem to run fine.

My main concern is that the game hesitates or stutters every 10 seconds. Anything I can do about that? Turn down graphics settings? My rig is quad-core i7 @2.8GHz, 12G RAM, nVidia GTX 580, Win 7 64-bit. I use about 5-6 G of RAM for KSP.

Mod list:

Toolbar

Aviation Lights

Community Resource Pack

DangIt & Dangit_FAR

Deadly Reentry

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FAR

Firespitter

KAS

Kerbal Engineer

Cargo Transportation Solutions

ModStatistics

NASA Mission

Final Frontier

Open Resource System

PreciseNode

Procedural Fairings

RealChute

RemoteTech2

SCANsat

ShipManifest

SpacePlane Plus

Texture REplacer

TAC-Life Support

TreeLoader

Kerbal Alarm Clock

TweakScale

Orbital Kolonization Sys/Modular Kolonization Sys

Karbonite

KSP Interstellar

Edited by Mister Spock

@OP: I notice you've also got DebRefund and StageRecovery installed. Those both serve the same basic purpose and aren't really designed to work together. Having both means that you'll receive roughly twice as much in refunds from dropped stages than you should. I would suggest removing one of them to avoid that problem.

In 0.23.5 I tried out the 64 bit community hack and was using about 7.5 of my 8 gigs of RAM, total. And that wasn't too heavily modded. I think most of it was B9, KW Rocketry, and Interstellar. With the basic ATM I only use about 3 gigs, and with LoadOnDemandI typically only use about 2.5 gigs

I've got about 3.5gigs in my GameData. I could push it farther ( not sure how anyone's going past that number without crashing ) but I'm experiencing a memory leak and from what I read.. as are others. If I play over an hour I'll get a crash during a scene change.

One thing that people need to understand is that you can not just dump a bunch of mods into the gamedata directory and expect it to work. Your going to have to do your homework on the mods you are interested in using before you even begin. Things to be aware of is that there are some mods that are built on open .dll plugins like KSPAPIExtensions and if one of the mods is compiled based on an older version of the Extension conflicts will arise. There are other mods that have such dependencies to look out for. Furthermore, make sure you dig into the mods threads to find out if there are any last minute hotfixes or community fixes that have yet to hit the mods front page. Last, make sure you skim through those threads for anyone else having an issues that peg a mod as a current no go for x64 or .24_2.

In order to get the mods I have running I had to do a good chunk of leg work and a lot of patient loading one at a time while watching my debug menu and testing parts. If you want to get dozens of mods in KSP to work it is just part of the process but one that is well worth the effort in the long run.

Yeah, I've spent a fair bit of time combing the 20-30 threads on development of each of the mods I'm using. It does help to avoid mods that are likely to conflict with one another, and to stay up to date. I'm reasonably happy with my crash rate -- I average one per night, usually at the start of my gaming session. I can live with that.

One irritation I have with 64-bit is right-clicking. In space, especially, I sometimes have to right-click a half-dozen things to get the right-click menu (or to dismiss it). I thought 24.2 was supposed to address this, but it remains an annoying issue for me. Do others see this?

My other concern is stuttering -- I get a stutter every 15 seconds or so. Is this what people mean when they speak of lag? I sure hope it doesn't get worse as I build bigger ships and bases.

One irritation I have with 64-bit is right-clicking. In space, especially, I sometimes have to right-click a half-dozen things to get the right-click menu (or to dismiss it). I thought 24.2 was supposed to address this, but it remains an annoying issue for me. Do others see this?

I noticed right clicking was a bit .. dicey, in the 64-bit version. Re-orienting the camera and clicking on a slightly different area of the part seemed to help that a bit.

My other concern is stuttering -- I get a stutter every 15 seconds or so. Is this what people mean when they speak of lag? I sure hope it doesn't get worse as I build bigger ships and bases.

I get that too - even on 32-bit version, and also in historical versions of KSP, and it does seem to be caused by a big save. I also find the longer I'm playing in a single session, the worse it gets. Exiting and starting again seems to help a bit, but doesn't cure it entirely...

I definitely have a crash or two and actually they have been on start up or from a large part count object collisions, I.E. me crashing literally. I have been able to play through quite a few sessions without crashing though so I am pretty happy.

As for the right click, I play in a windowed mode due to having a multi-monitor setup and find that it is not as pronounced as when in fullscreen but couldn't even begin to guess why. I do of course have to deal with the mouse button issue when switching to an outside window, but the work around of right clicking first is a small price I guess.

I have not had any stuttering in my current build but I have had issues with it in the past even on 32 bit.

As an interesting side note my brother stopped by today and I put my entire mod collection onto a portable drive for him and he dumped it into his install and said things have been working so far. I figured none of the mod authors would mind a little direct family sharing ;P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.