Concept Rockets

Sauron

Please, DON'T set it in a different solar system, just think of it as some alternative history on Earth.

I like that setting too. Maybe even with the same back story of ancient philosophers? That way you could quote ancient greek/roman for naming and still quote Aristotle, Pythagora, Leonardo, and all the other philosophers. Idk though it's your art and your story ;).

Since I've already completely changed Earth's geography an and invented cultures (almost)completely whole-cloth I'm inclined to change the rest of the solar system as well. It'll make for a more interesting story (and thought experiment).

And to tide you guys over, an underground inflatable base and an MPDT (of which the craft shown above has 4 of:

0l7QGGD.jpg

k7rqtxM.jpg

I like it! Looks awesome, although I don't know if I'll ever be able to make it what with my crazy busy schedule. :P

Well, my schedule and also the fact that I need to work on programming for the game I'm making with Helldiver... Eh, I'm sure I'll figure it out once I graduate in 5 years. :sticktongue:

I wanted to add on to your note on a separate world. I hope it turns out awesome ;). If you've heard of the game HomeWorld, the planet the civilization lives on in the beginning was so hot around the equator, there was an equatorial desert year round. I'm sure you can come up with some cool geographical places and a cool climate of your own. I look forward to the new world and its name. :cool:

This would be the bad guys' slick concept SSTO, Takurua (Sirius) (it's a generation ahead of their other stuff and still on the drawing board). It comes with all the toys.

[noparse][...][/noparse]

It's a waverider that uses two very powerful AYAX-style MHD bypass cycle turbojets to get up to mach 8-9 before switching to a hydrolox rocket(this is instead of a skylon-style precooler). Because the bad guys are NTR-happy maniacs (I imagine they're launching from a large island chain over a large ocean. They've got really minimal range-safety concerns) nuclear LH2 engines are probably being seriously considered instead but shielding would be a big problem. Circularization is done with the OMS. If NTR engines are being used, payload to LEO starts to get even more impressive.

[noparse][...][/noparse]

Takurua is launched to ~600mph using a rocket sled. This saves a lot of structural weight and reduces the required wing size.

[noparse][...][/noparse]

Since the bad guys obviously have no qualms about releasing massive quantities of radioactive pollutants, why not skip the (currently paper-only) MHD-turbojet in favor of a (two prototypes hot-tested) direct-heating fission ramjet?

Because even the bad guys have some standards :P (Also because turbojet-rocket has some really attractive features--ramjets have god-awful TWR and with a nuclear reactor that gets worse--and they cap out too soon speed-wise. It's one of the neat things about Skylon compared to ramjet-based SSTOs)

As to alternate history? There's no plausible way to do it (with any kind of rigor, anyway) without points of divergence so early that things are totally unrecognizable anyway. At that point one gets better results and less torturous fridge-logic by starting fresh.

nuuuu bookmark before it sinks... Any chance you'll be designing a Skylab alternative for either side or is the space station core it's alternative currently? It'd be cool to have a spin of of Earths skylab where instead of abandoning it, it was made into the ISS station core. Get what I'm saying?

No updates yet--very busy--but I'm still here.

The bad guys have a skylab equivalent already (a few pages back :P ) The good guys don't have the heavy lift capability to launch 80+ ton payloads--they do highly modular stuff (they cap out in the neighborhood of 50-60 tons--moon missions would be done using 2 launches and an EOR/LOR profile)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made textures for Procedural Parts based off this, because flat solid colors work well on huge rockets. Link!

More screenshots are to come a bit later, with 6.4 scale kerbin, this one was only made because i remembered i had a Soyuz that was almost all Procedural Parts.

CWvj12y.png

Edited by bs1110101

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
He's a busy man ;).

Actually, he's a about to be bouncing around Southeast Asia like a broke maniac while ignoring law school rejections :P

I'm hoping to come back to this. And next RSS save I'm stealing those procedural parts textures!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.